IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4436 (resized).JPG
IMG_0389 (resized).jpeg
1000000220 (resized).jpg
CheckpointSL5 (resized).jpg
20221014_090737 (resized).jpg
strava (resized).JPG
IMG_9767 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rum-z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 3 years ago

Cool thread! Nice to see a lot of us into cycling. I have 4 bikes: A new Cannondale Scapel for mountain biking (orange bike), a Felt Cross bike that I modified to use on the endless miles of gravel roads in SE Michigan (blue bike), and a KHS carbon fiber fat bike for winter riding and other soft, wet, and messy conditions (the black bike with a guy on it that looks suspiciously like me).

The fourth bike is a Trek 5000 carbon fiber road bike that I bought back in 2006. I used it for 4 or 5 seasons and put a lot of road miles on it, and did several organized century (100 mile) rides. However, as 2010 or 2011 approached, it seemed like the amount of distracted and/or careless drivers started to skyrocket, which probably ties in with the increase in cell phone use within vehicles. All my cycling friends started getting hit by vehicles and/or having really close calls (luckily nobody died). That's when I stopped riding paved roads and turned my attention to single track dirt trails and gravel roads (which have a lot less, and slower traffic in general). I probably should sell my road bike, but I hold onto in in hopes of participating in more large organized group rides in the future, as there feels like there's more safety in numbers on the road.

C'Dale Scalpel (resized).jpgC'Dale Scalpel (resized).jpgGravel Bike (resized).jpgGravel Bike (resized).jpgFat Bike (resized).jpgFat Bike (resized).jpg
#54 3 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Same here. I basically quit riding on the road around 2014 or 2015 after too many people were getting hit or killed. We had a group riding here in Kzoo several years ago where like 7 or 8 were killed from a guy in a pick-up truck. That pretty much sealed road cycling for me.
Have you ever done the ODRAM? That was one awesome ride in Michigan. Muskegon to Bay City in one day. IIRC, it was right around 150 miles.

Man, sorry about losing those local people due to that guy that hit them in that pick-up truck. I remember that well, and it made me ill and furious. Horrible thing. I'm still upset about it to this day, and I suppose I always will be.

I did not ever participate in the ODRAM. It's something I'd like to do someday, but will I ever? I don't know. 100 miles is pretty tough on me. The best I ever did was 100 miles in 6 hours flat averaging 16.666mph, and that was when I was probably 40 years old. Now I'm 50. I was blown out at the end of that century too, LOL. I would probably surely be slower now, but that's probably a good idea. Pace myself and hope that I could finish those 150 miles in 10 to 12 hours.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphcousman:

my current project

Wow, KILLER paint job!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rum-z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-bicycle-garage?tu=rum-z and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.