BF35254E-CC19-486E-8B99-51A16B2D904A (resized).jpeg
Nashbar CX1 before-after (resized).JPG
IMG_2726 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4436 (resized).JPG
IMG_0389 (resized).jpeg
1000000220 (resized).jpg
CheckpointSL5 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider balt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Let's see your sweet ride on two wheels! No motorcycles - there are already a couple of threads for those.

bike (resized).JPGbike (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

2015 Cannondale Quick CX is my everyday bike for cruising around town and down our local bike path. It's been a good bike, but I'd rather ride something more colorful. This thing screams police bike. I'm currently shopping for an offroad ride, looking at used fat bikes.

quick cx (resized).jpgquick cx (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am in the market for an electric mountain bike. I have my eye on a Cannondale, does anyone have any suggestions? I need a larger bike with suspension.

I'm a fan of the Cannondale brand, and my local excellent bike shop sells them, so that is a win-win for me. If I were buying an electric bike (which is a niche that is rapidly changing) I would heavily base my selection on the e-bike offerings of the store where it would be serviced. Similar to finding a mechanic you trust and asking what they recommend.

#17 3 years ago

I love my new fat bike. You don't need a suspension when you're rolling on 28x4.6" tractor tires. It's a 2015 Specialized FatBoy that came with a second set of studded tires for winter shenanigans. I'm looking forward to riding year 'round.

fence (resized).jpgfence (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#65 3 years ago

Carefree on a fat bike.

fattie (resized).jpgfattie (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#97 3 years ago

I'm trying to level the playing field between my cruising speed and my wife's. So today I ordered her an e-bike with pedal assist. It can maintain a cruising speed up to 20MPH and I'm looking forward to trying to keep up with her. It's a Pace 350 by Aventon. I'll report back after we take a few rides.

aventon pace 350 (resized).JPGaventon pace 350 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#104 3 years ago

Hope everyone had a good one!
https://fat-bike.com/2020/09/global-fat-bike-day-2020/

GFBD2020 (resized).jpgGFBD2020 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#105 3 years ago

So who owns both a Spooky pin and a Spooky bike?
https://www.wearespooky.com/

Spooky_Superstitions_29 (resized).jpgSpooky_Superstitions_29 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#116 3 years ago

February ride in northern Illinois. Frosty fun! It's like sweaty snowmobiling.

IMG_1295_2 (resized).JPGIMG_1295_2 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
#128 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Best Electric Bike deal for 2021.
What is it?
Do you have one?
Looking for an Electric Bike with a range of 20 miles full speed.
Grocery runs with saddle bags or ?
Assist or full electric?
What is a jewel at this current time?

Check out Aventon bikes. Order early and be prepared to wait.

1 month later
#134 3 years ago

Here's my PSA on the importance of helmets:

“If you were a professional athlete, you just received a season-ending concussion,” said my neurosurgeon.

On March 9th, I knocked myself out for the second time in my life. The first time was in elementary school when I executed a face plant after launching off a homemade ramp on a push scooter in our driveway. That time I wasn’t wearing a helmet. This time I flew over my handlebars at Oak Street and Oakwood Lane and again broke my fall with my face. This time I split my helmet and had “summer teeth” as in some are in my head, and some are in the street. I got my broken teeth repaired on March 17th, I assume with dental-grade Bondo.

So what caused my latest crash? I don’t remember. I’ve watched enough X-Files to know lost time is 100% due to aliens. On the other hand, I don’t feel probed and I’m not sculpting mashed potatoes, so maybe not aliens. I had just transitioned from a busy street to what seemed like the relative safety of a sidewalk. A good Samaritan found me sitting beside my bike and spoke at me for several minutes before I eventually responded. I wisely accepted his offer for a ride home. I had been on a twenty-mile ride, and wrecked just a couple miles from home. I took a quick shower and set a shard of tooth beside the bathroom mirror in homage to The Fly.

My wife came home from shopping as I was dressing. “Rachael I need you in the bathroom. I crashed my bike and have memory loss,” were my first words to her. So off we went to Sherman Hospital. Sitting in an emergency room for twenty minutes with open wounds didn’t feel particularly safe during Covid. A CT scan that evening showed a mild brain bleed so I had to spend the night being monitored in intensive care with a follow-up scan scheduled for 5AM. I slept maybe an hour that night. The second scan showed the bleeding had resolved. A few hours later the director of the intensive care unit said, “I’ve never done this before, but I’m discharging you directly from the ICU.” Normally a head injury like mine earns three days in the hospital. The consulting neurosurgeon told me to stay off my bike for six to eight weeks. I heard “up to six” and Rachael heard a firm eight weeks.

At discharge we were told that I should minimize my time reading and staring at screens. But while I was lying in the hospital, I went online and researched “safest bike helmet” and ordered a replacement. I found that I cared much less about how it looked versus how it performed in testing. My new brain bucket is sitting on my desk as I write this, eagerly waiting for a first ride in May.

On March 15th we paid a visit to a neurologist in Chicago who said I should gradually reintroduce reading and screen time. Hence this little crash report to test out the old noggin. So, I’m on the mend and thankful for all the well wishes, food, and flowers. A week later, the only thing that still hurt was the road rash on my left knee. Once again, Rachael was a rock in another storm. She deserves every bit of love she receives from family and friends. For those who expressed concern for my bike, I only lost a bit a paint on the handlebars and I gave her a tune-up while I'm healing. So happy spring and remember this if nothing else: Wear a helmet!

3 weeks later
#137 2 years ago

A couple weeks ago I picked up a cheap single speed to refurbish while I recover from my bike crash. This Schwinn Racer has a steel frame and a coaster brake, like the Roadmaster bike I raced in the Little 500 in '96. It'll be my weekday commuter to and from the train station. What's new: paint, tires, tubes, rim tape, pedals, saddle (used), post clamp, grips, and bar ends. So the bike is no longer really cheap, but I like the way it looks and rides.

after-right (resized).jpgafter-right (resized).jpg
1 month later
#141 2 years ago

My new ride: 16.8 pound fixed gear track bike to ride at the Ed Rudolph Velodrome.

Tribble (resized).JPGTribble (resized).JPG
2 months later
#154 2 years ago

I've owned my fat bike for one year and put 744 miles of trails on it so far. All my bikes are fun, but this one is tops.

IMG_3276 (resized).JPGIMG_3276 (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#155 2 years ago

This is a frankenbike I cobbled together for my winter commute in Chicagoland. It’s a combination of a 1992 Specialized Hardrock and a cheap retail cruiser bike. So this Hardrock is a single speed with a coaster brake and chrome fenders. I replaced the 130mm rear axle with a 175mm (24 tooth) and mounted 26x2 studded Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus tires. My slush slayer is ready for the next polar vortex and/or snowmageddon.

IMG_3750 (resized).jpgIMG_3750 (resized).jpg
#158 2 years ago
Quoted from PiscisMagnus:

Why did you attach your front fender backwards?

First I did it on accident. Now I post the picture to see if anyone notices. You win a high five.

2 months later
#160 2 years ago

Another grey winter day in northern Illinois. Get out in it.

IMG_4663 (resized).JPGIMG_4663 (resized).JPG
4 months later
#161 1 year ago

Velodrome season has begun. Track racing is an experience not to be missed.

IMG_5607 (resized).JPGIMG_5607 (resized).JPG
3 months later
#186 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Any pinheads out there who are also on Zwift?!

I'm planning to Zwift this winter. I bought a used road bike last night and have my eye on the new Zwift Hub that is currently sold out. Drop me a private message to connect. Imagine riding and talking pinball!

1 week later
#191 1 year ago

2007 Trek 1500 that I picked up for training and Zwifting this winter. Photo taken before I raised the seat. 21.0 lbs. This bike replaced my '96 Cannondale R800.

IMG_8435 (resized).JPGIMG_8435 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#198 1 year ago

I've been Zwifting for about 6 weeks now and really enjoy it. I joined a racing team in my time zone and use our weekly race as one of my tough workouts. I'll certainly be in better cycling shape this spring compared to previous winters.

IMG_9586 (resized).JPGIMG_9586 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#203 1 year ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

I have (rather stupidly) signed up for the Mallorca 312 in April this year.
312km (194 miles)
5,050m (16,570ft)
The cut off time is 14hrs and I will probably need every minute of it!
Luckily at that time of year it shouldn't be too hot but the lack of fair weather training at home might hinder me a bit...[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, a field of 8,000 sold out in 10 hours. Please share pics and description here when you return. Enjoy!..or at least finish.
https://mallorca312.com/en/news/#no-link

2 months later
#205 1 year ago

New to me 2000 Klein Quantum Race. Waiting for warmer weather in northern Illinois.

sunshine (resized).jpgsunshine (resized).jpg
#206 1 year ago

I've been using this '15 Cannondale Quick CX as my gravel bike. Dale went on a diet this winter and lost four pounds of hardware but is still a beefy 30 pounds. That front fork is 5.5 lbs. So I'm in the market for a real gravel bike this spring.

IMG_0035 (resized).JPGIMG_0035 (resized).JPG
4 months later
#224 8 months ago
Quoted from Boondocker:

Garage is getting a little full[quoted image][quoted image]

I'd expect no less in Leadville. Enjoy!

2 months later
1 month later
#230 5 months ago

If you'd like to see what your fellow Pinsiders are up to on Strava, here's a club to join. The more the merrier.
https://www.strava.com/clubs/pinside

strava (resized).JPGstrava (resized).JPG
2 months later
#239 80 days ago

New ebike day for wifey. Townie Go 7D by Electra/Trek. She loves it. I just try to keep up.

IMG_4436 (resized).JPGIMG_4436 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#242 2 days ago

I picked up a used entry-level cyclocross bike to ride the 2024 Barry Roubaix. Here's a before and after shot showing what I did to get the bike dialed in for me. The previous owner rode it in one event and then kept it in his basement for years.

Nashbar CX1 before-after (resized).JPGNashbar CX1 before-after (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider balt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-bicycle-garage?tu=balt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.