Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by shimoda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hey Pinside! As you may know, work has steadily been progressing on the new Pinside server! I have decided to combine the migration to the new server with a lot of code updates so it's not just a new server but the update contains some mayor changes including a complete overhaul of the image uploading system.

I would like to invite a *small* group of Pinsiders to take a peek and help me test the new stuff to make sure the big bugs are gone.

If you have been around on the site for a while, know all the ins and outs of the Pinside (not just the forum) and if think you are a good tester then drop me a PM! Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Ok, on hold for now, there is a nice little group of Pinsiders being let loose on the beta site

I will let you know here if I'm looking to add some more testers!

#3 10 years ago

I'm totally interested!! Always like the work you do!!

#4 10 years ago

Aw, I missed the opening rush.

#5 10 years ago

PM sent!

#6 10 years ago

Will help if needed.

#7 10 years ago

Haven't seen many people on the beta site lately. You said you had a whole group of testers?

#8 10 years ago

PM sent ~

#9 10 years ago

I am down for sure

#10 10 years ago

I could do it if you needed another set of eyes

#11 10 years ago

Robin

Count me in if you need more testers.

#12 10 years ago

I'm in.

#13 10 years ago

I'm in if you need anyone else.

#15 10 years ago

PM sent, all the best..

#18 10 years ago

Tapatalk compatible?

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Tapatalk compatible?

Don't count on it... Robin doesn't use a mobile device to access pinside, so he doesn't understand the sheer pain involved.

#20 10 years ago

He does try to make it useable for most devices. I know he worked issues with Apple devices before.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Tapatalk compatible?

I have no issues browsing on mobile Safari.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I have no issues browsing on mobile Safari.

I have no problem browsing either. It is posting that sucks. I have ways to make it work, but still Tapatalk is far superior...

#23 10 years ago

I don't think Tapatalk is compatible with Keeple, unless you write your own API.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

I don't think Tapatalk is compatible with Keeple, unless you write your own API.

Doesn't have to be Tapatalk. Point is that the Internet is switching to mobile devices at an alarming rate. Having some sort of compatible app for Android and iphone seems like a no brainer.

#25 10 years ago

Is there an alternative? What?

I understand everyone is starting to move to mobile.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I have no problem browsing either. It is posting that sucks. I have ways to make it work, but still Tapatalk is far superior...

Agreed, the posting is the primary issue having to do with javascript that hasn't been fleshed out for all browsers. It's unfortunately the nature of the web.

The only significant issue with browsing itself is the inconsistent fonts between posts in a single thread requiring multiple zoom in/outs to read a single thread... the smaller of the fonts is largely unreadable on a 5" screen without zooming in so far as the larger of the fonts is off the edges of the screen. I've reported this issue with screenshots in another thread.

In other words there are two required solutions to reach all users: 1) make Pinside work for all devices, or 2) support an app that addresses the small screen issue (custom or prebuilt like Tapatalk, it doesn't matter). TapaTalk is only mentioned as an example because it already works on ios and android for 11 different bulletin board systems.

If I'm not mistaken the core of this software is bbPress, which has support for Tapatalk as per this:

https://support.tapatalk.com/forums/bbpress-discussion.68/

Tapatalk bbPress 2 plugin series 1.1.0 released
    Update note: 25 Dec 2012
    http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/tapatalk-plugin-for-bbpress-1-1-calling-for-beta-tester/

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

If I'm not mistaken the core of this software is bbPress, which has support for Tapatalk as per this:

https://support.tapatalk.com/forums/bbpress-discussion.68/

Tapatalk bbPress 2 plugin series 1.1.0 released
    Update note: 25 Dec 2012
    http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/tapatalk-plugin-for-bbpress-1-1-calling-for-beta-tester/

When I installed the recent floridapinballforum.com reboot, adding Tapatalk was a simple as installing the latest version of the plugin and enabling it. Maybe Pinside is a modified version of bbPress that does not support Tapatalk?

#28 10 years ago

Just found this:

Quoted from robin:Thanks for your suggestion! The Pinside forum software was based on bbpress and then completely customized (I mean, really really hacked) to integrate into the Pinside.
    There are several reasons why I'm not planning to integrate with Tapatalk. First and foremost, it would take things out of my control, and in the hands of a third-party (commercial) app - I don't like that idea. Second the app itself is not free for users. Third, Tapatalk is not free for us (the Pinside) to integrate (yeah there is a free version but it "monetizes" links, I don't call that free). Fourth, I would have to implement a plugin which I'm sure won't work out of the box because we messed about with the bbpress software so much. Fifth: It would not give the whole Pinside experience (which is showing your location, karma, heart, collection, ratings count etc. - something I've worked on very hard to accomplish, integrating the whole site into one).
    I totally understand the need for a nice smartphone app to streamline reading and posting on the Pinside but it will have to be custom built by ourselves. Hopefully I'll be able to create something in the nearby future, but it would probably be a mobile version of the site, not an app (too much platforms to support )

#29 10 years ago

Don't let Centerflank in, he is technically challenged.....I mean the guy doesn't even have a smart phone for goodness sake!

#30 10 years ago

For some reason, I see the German flag on all the pinside profile pics in the forum. Is it me, or some sort of glitch as I type this on my iPhone.

#31 10 years ago

Considering I basically spend more time on Pinside than my normal job, I'll help ya test if needed brutha!

#32 10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I still stand behind my 5 points why I'm not integrating with Tapatalk (thanks Coolfingers for digging that up).

The small font issue is something only happening on Android browsers and it's apparently a feature of those browsers called "font boosting". I recently got my hands on a HTC one in addition to my iPhone 4 to start testing the site on mobile and found out the same thing, font size changing all over the place. The good news is that this has been fixed in the beta site (albeit with a max-height hack).

The Pinside will be "going mobile", hopefully even this year. I fully understand the need to support this, but as you can imagine time to work on the site is limited for me.

#33 10 years ago

I view/post quite a bit on my iPhone 5. Probably more than on an actual computer. I'd be available for beta testing on the mobile platform too. Love the site Robin. Thanks!!!

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

I view/post quite a bit on my iPhone 5. Probably more than on an actual computer. I'd be available for beta testing on the mobile platform too. Love the site Robin. Thanks!!!

I post on my iPad more than anywhere else. If you have a fast mobile connection do you feel that you would really need a mobile specific platform? Not sure if that was what you meant or if you were just offering to test the beta site from your mobile device.

#35 10 years ago

I read Robin's last post as an announcement that he intends to make a mobile pinside site. I rarely have issues when posting mobile as long as my iphone5 is not switching between wifi and cellular. 3G works ok as long as there is a strong signal. 4G works as good as a fast wifi connection but again only if I have a strong signal. I can post pics but usually run into problems if I try to upload more than two in one post. I have no real complaints but I have found a couple bugs and have a suggestion too.

Bugs I have encountered: I use safari on an iphone5 with ios6.

When selecting text, the popup to "quote selected text" does not appear.
    When trying to sign in, touching the sign in link usually does not popup the username and password dialogue box. I generally have to open the link in a new page.
    When I have a mail notification bouncing up in the top right tool bar, touching it usually does not respond. The new mail drop down does not usually appear so I have to get to mail by following the "my pinside" link.
    When clicking on an image, the popup that displays the image is usually much larger than the screen but I have not found a way to scroll in that popup. Instead the page in the background is what scrolls around. Also, the x at the bottom right is so small that I have to zoom in to be able to touch it to close the popup window.

A feature/design request I would have is to make the thread screens more mobile friendly. Maybe put the blue and grey and green boxes immediately to the left of the thread titles instead of a fixed distance to the right. They are super small and it is hard to accurately hit them unless you zoom the screen in a bit. But then you loose the title of the thread.

To be honest, I will be just fine if nothing changes. I love it anyway, but if a mobile site is in the works, I will help in any way I can.

Thanks, Dane

#36 10 years ago

If needed, I am here.

#37 10 years ago

On here so much I should beta.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-beta-testers-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.