Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 142 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DocFinlay
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2A66D2EC-B0A1-4C61-828B-CD06CCF05710 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I love my R911. The theme, the modes, one thing I really appreciate is that it automatically gives you a second ball if it drains too fast. I usually get 10 balls per game!

That's what it's about IMO. Pinball should not be about what this group or that group likes - you should play for your own enjoyment and flush the haters.

Plenty of pins from every maker and time that I like, plenty more I don't.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Feel the same about R911. If it had a more complex ruleset, I could see owning it. I like to have great tourney games as my keeper collection. Alot of Gottlieb DMD era games have weird mystery rules that make it unfair in competition.

This I agree with... you can exploit them if you know the rules...

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I love my R911. The theme, the modes, one thing I really appreciate is that it automatically gives you a second ball if it drains too fast. I usually get 10 balls per game!

you can change this setting...

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

Pinside needs to charge an upfront fee on all listings (hell I'd have paid a lot more but I'd be cool with it) and issue a small credit back for marking the sale price of a machine.

And even if the pin is sold off Pinside, give a credit for reporting the sell price and where it was sold; private party, CL, EBay, Facebook, etc.

#105 3 years ago

The problem comes from the guys who make a living selling pins and the pinball flippers on here... Have you ever noticed they almost never report the prices. I think to sell on here you should have to report the price. AND it should be verified by the buyer and the seller. People ask very high prices, then never report what it sold for. Most sales prices are not reported and it skews things for sure.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Lucky for you

Lucky for everyone else

Who is this guy? Between him and levi I can't figure out who is the worse troll on pinside. Robin would do well to cull the troll population on here to attract more serious pinball people.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

If you don't start a for sale thread there is no price police to trash the game.

In effect you are saying, don't use pinside to sell a pinball game and the pinside price police won't trash the game? I don't think robin would agree that's the best remedy for dealing with the nasty price police. He's here to make money. If sellers don't list games here and use FB marketplace, CL and ebay, he loses money. Price police make him less revenue. It's a fact.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Feel the same about R911. If it had a more complex ruleset, I could see owning it. .

This is exactly why r911 is such a great game! An average player actually has a chance to reach the "end" of the game. Just like gilligans island. It's fun because you know if you have a good ball or 2, you can advance through the game to the end.

How many average players are EVER going to reach a wizard mode in the increasingly complicated ruleset of games made in the last 20 years? Especially, the games today. Simple is not always bad unless you're ranked on the papa top 1000 or you have an attention span of a gnat.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

In effect you are saying, don't use pinside to sell a pinball game and the pinside price police won't trash the game? I don't think robin would agree that's the best remedy for dealing with the nasty price police. He's here to make money. Price police make him less revenue. It's a fact.

He is basically saying post on the market but do not include the thread along side it unless you are ok with the discussion. The thread is only included if you check the box.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Who is this guy? Between him and levi I can't figure out who is the worse troll on pinside. Robin would do well to cull the troll population on here to attract more serious pinball people.

You are forgetting Whysnow. He is frozen from what I hear though.

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

For anyone that doesn’t like any of Pinside’s resident characters it’s easy enough to block them, and you’ll never have to see their posts again. Seems like a better solution than angling to have them banned from the site.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

He’s alive and well in the NFL thread at any rate (this season he’s on a total boycott of the NFL - excepting Bengals and Chiefs games, of course).
    For anyone that doesn’t like any of Pinside’s resident characters it’s easy enough to block them, and you’ll never have to see their posts again. Seems like a better solution than angling to have them banned from the site.

Agreed. No reason to ban. The ignore button does the trick if people upset you.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

. I was going to say Whysnow as well lol

#114 3 years ago

Don, I think your wasting your time with this thread.
    It would be nice to have truelly accurate price ranges, but I dont think it's possible

I have four friends with sizable pinball collections, and they are not on pinside.
    It took me 10 years to join, and only because I wanted to ask questions about R&M.

I've bought 18 games in 10 years.
    3 NIB Spooky.
    1 at Captains Auction.
    14 classics from friends, or friends of friends.

None of these are represented in or on any web price histories. Nor my friends games.

I would guess that most of you guys have similar experiences, in your buying/selling history.

Most pinheads just aren't on pinside.

Message from the Freeeek Kingdom.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Most pinheads just aren't on pinside.

Pinside's a source, just not the only source...

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've restored two R911 games. It's not a very challenging game, so it's not really a title I like for my personal collection, but the helicopter is a really neat mechanism and it's an instant hit with new players, so it's been a great game to bring to shows for people to play.

I found a beaten down Gameroom in Siler City a few years ago, they had a Rescue911 in the corner. Worked, but was in really bad condition with hard broken rubbers, playfield shot and a lot of lights out.
    Don't know why but played the snot out of that thing and even made a special trip back.
    It was at a time very few machines were in the wild and the helicopter worked.
    I would like to own one.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

In effect you are saying, don't use pinside to sell a pinball game and the pinside price police won't trash the game? I don't think robin would agree that's the best remedy for dealing with the nasty price police. He's here to make money. If sellers don't list games here and use FB marketplace, CL and ebay, he loses money. Price police make him less revenue. It's a fact.

Not at all. Once again simple, don't start a "Discussion" thread. Your ad will do just fine with no thread. When I first joined this forum and saw the price comments I was really taken aback, as that was a big no-no in other forums. However, I realized pretty quickly the price police only came out when something was amiss or price really was ridiculous and the seller is starting the thread at own risk. Sort of like the CL for sale fun thread. I get the feeling you like the attention the for sale ads give you.

I do agree with the premise of the thread though.

#118 3 years ago

Pricing varies with game, condition and location. An accurate price guide is impossible to achieve.

I used to buy the mr pinball price guides all the time when i first got into the hobby.

After 13 years owning, buying and selling, there are few games that i do not have a ballpark price in my head of what they are worth.
    I have only owned about 35 or 40 games but i watch for sale ads all the time.
    While i have only sold one game on pinside i must be close in my estimates because i never have trouble selling my games locally.
    I think one big issue is wanting to profit on a game. For me, it is a hobby. More than once i have been upside down. The one game i did sell on pinside, i sold for 35% of what i put into it. Thats life. I am not into it to make a profit. I enjoy fixing and restoring machines.
    If i want a particular machine, i know what the range is based on condition and buy accordingly. I havent looked at a price guide in years.

#119 3 years ago

PinSide sales values are just data points. There are way too many factors that drive value with condition being the number one factor, which is probably why game values for games are all over the map. For example u can buy a beater Williams IJ for $6-$7K, but a great example of this game could easily be well over $10K. Value is driven by how much someone is willing to pay. I for one haven't had much luck selling on PinSide typically due to the desire to ship. I find it a lot easier for someone to fully inspect the game prior to buying.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

He is basically saying post on the market but do not include the thread along side it unless you are ok with the discussion. The thread is only included if you check the box.

I have never seen that box that you're talking about. Nor have I checked it to add a discussion thread on any FS listing. Any member can go to any for sale listing on pinside and click this link and then price police any ad they want to with impunity. "Discuss this ad on the Pinside forum" It happens to all my ads. Even the ones that I use the pinside average price suggestion! LOL

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Not exactly. They can see and respond to your posts and everyone else sees their trolling posts on your post... except you. How's that stop their constant trolling?

#122 3 years ago

They are realistic when I want to sell, but totally unrealistic when I want to buy.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Not at all. Once again simple, don't start a "Discussion" thread. Your ad will do just fine with no thread. When I first joined this forum and saw the price comments I was really taken aback, as that was a big no-no in other forums. However, I realized pretty quickly the price police only came out when something was amiss or price really was ridiculous and the seller is starting the thread at own risk. Sort of like the CL for sale fun thread. I get the feeling you like the attention the for sale ads give you.
    I do agree with the premise of the thread though.

I have NEVER started a discussion thread relating to ANY of my for sale ads. That's always done by a member of the price police/troll squad by clicking "Discuss this ad on the Pinside forum". The thread we are posting in now was started this way. I didn't start it. Scroll up and see the first post. That person started this thread. I imagine those of you who think I am starting these negative posts attached to most of my for sale ads, aren't familiar with the pinside listing process.

I don't mind attention on a FS thread (helps to sell the game maybe) but wish it wasn't always from negativity by price police.

Are you suggesting theres a way I can post a game for sale without the... "Discuss this ad on the Pinside forum" link showing up in it SO others can't attach a post like this one we're in now? Explain?

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I have never seen that box that you're talking about. Nor have I checked it to add a discussion thread on any FS listing.

2A66D2EC-B0A1-4C61-828B-CD06CCF05710 (resized).jpeg2A66D2EC-B0A1-4C61-828B-CD06CCF05710 (resized).jpeg

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I have NEVER started a discussion thread relating to ANY of my for sale ads. That's always done by a member of the price police/troll squad by clicking "Discuss this ad on the Pinside forum".

I don't think it works that way -- you're (accidentally) creating forum threads for each of your for sale ads by clicking the box that flynnibus posted the screen-cap of, or by leaving it checked if that's the default. If you uncheck that box, someone else can't just create a forum post linked to your for sale ad.

Quoted from d0n:

The thread we are posting in now was started this way. I didn't start it. Scroll up and see the first post. That person started this thread.

You're the first poster in this thread (which is not linked to any of your for sale ads). Are you saying you didn't create it?

Quoted from d0n:

Not exactly. They can see and respond to your posts and everyone else sees their trolling posts on your post... except you. How's that stop their constant trolling?

If you have them on ignore you won't respond to their posts. Trolls, by definition, are doing what they do to get a rise out of you. No response, no endorphins for the troll, they'll move on to other targets. I don't get too bothered about this stuff in general so have only ever blocked one poster myself, but I think that's the general concept.

#126 3 years ago

AHHHH I NEVER NOTICED THAT THANK YOU! PROBLEM SOLVED!

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

you're (accidentally) creating forum threads for each of your for sale ads by clicking the box that flynnibus posted the screen-cap of, or by leaving it checked if that's the default. If you uncheck that box, someone else can't just create a forum post linked to your for sale ad.

You're the first poster in this thread (which is not linked to any of your for sale ads). Are you saying you didn't create it?

The pic post says "there can be a discussion post about your game and price". That's almost telling the price police to go ahead and price police any FREE ad posted on pinside. Almost encouraging price policing.

I believe that statement means that anyone CAN start a discussion post attached to any FREE ad and complain about the game and/or price. I don't think it means that by posting a for sale ad, the seller automatically also posts a discussion post too. Right?

And no ASFAIK, I did not start this post. I only created a for sale ad.

#128 3 years ago

I get it now. I guess DID start the FREE forum topic about my game for sale... NOT an actual PAID for sale ad. Duh.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

And no ASFAIK, I did not start this post. I only created a for sale ad.

Well you've got me, I don't see how you could start what looks like a totally normal forum thread -- not linked to a for sale ad, with a normal user-created title not referencing a game, and located in the "Buying and Selling Advice" sub-category -- by posting a for sale ad.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I get it now. I guess DID start the FREE forum topic about my game for sale... NOT an actual PAID for sale ad. Duh.

I think when you create an ad it automatically starts a forum topic, unless you uncheck the box that says start a forum topic. I think this is at the end just before you finalize your ad. It’s been a while since I placed an ad.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I think when you create an ad it automatically starts a forum topic, unless you uncheck the box that says start a forum topic. I think this is at the end just before you finalize your ad. It’s been a while since I placed an ad.

The FREE way to sell your game on pinside is by creating a "forum post ad". The actual paid ad is not a forum post and cannot be price policed. I think?

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

The FREE way to sell your game on pinside is by creating a "forum post ad". The actual paid ad is not a forum post and cannot be price policed. I think?

You seem to have some confusion, let me try to help clear things up. Any ad you create on Pinside is free whether you make a forum thread for it or not. Pinside is just telling you that it is "free" to create a forum thread/topic should you wish too. Your ad will still be free if you uncheck the forum-topic box. If you decide to upgrade to a paid, "Featured," ad you will also still have the option to create or not create a forum thread.

If you have a nice game, that is priced fairly, then it can be a great idea to create a forum topic. Because it gets more eyes on your game/ad. I've listed almost every game I've sold on Pinside, and I've never had anyone "price-police" or make negative comments. But I also try to price fairly with respect to condition, include good details, and have lots of pictures. So I'm not sure why you'd be getting lot's of negative forum comments unless you were out-of-whack in one or more of those areas.

And I really wouldn't worry if you do get negative comments, I still see a lot of games sell in spite of price-policing. Because there's always a buyer who might want a specific game and who is willing to overpay for it.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Placing an ad in the marketplace is where that screenshot is from. It’s not enabled by default. If the ad costs will depend on Pinside’s tiering model.

If you manually create a thread ... it will be a thread of course. Pinside prefers the market place for obvious reasons

2 weeks later
    #134 3 years ago

Check it out. I created and run the site, it's basically the Kelley Blue Book of pinball - or as close as we can get. It does cover prices paid on Pinside plus ebay and about a dozen auction sites, some of which I pay to get their data. The ebay data is only sold price and never includes "Best Offer Accepted" because they never tell you what that is. Always open to improvement, so let me know.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from DocFinlay:

Check it out. I created and run the site, it's basically the Kelley Blue Book of pinball - or as close as we can get. It does cover prices paid on Pinside plus ebay and about a dozen auction sites, some of which I pay to get their data. The ebay data is only sold price and never includes "Best Offer Accepted" because they never tell you what that is. Always open to improvement, so let me know.

I spot checked a handful of games and personally think Pinside is closer to what I know to be reality. This was on mobile where only the average price was available... but Fathom/Centaur/AC/DC Luci all seemed well off current market.

#136 3 years ago

Glad you all were able to solve DOn's problem. I have listed two games for sale and understood the boxes. My prices were good, but thought a discussion thread was unnecessary.

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:I spot checked a handful of games and personally think Pinside is closer to what I know to be reality. This was on mobile where only the average price was available... but Fathom/Centaur/AC/DC Luci all seemed well off current market.

Thanks for looking at PinballPrices.com. Did the prices seem higher or lower? I’m guessing higher because eBay prices generally, but not always, run higher as sellers try to get their 10% back and the buyers aren’t typically the Pinside type of people (less experience). Also eBay includes dealers that are selling and they are almost always significantly higher than person to person. But the data is exactly what the market is doing. Check out the full database. There you can see each and every sale and even what site the sale came from. Thanks!

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from DocFinlay:

Thanks for looking at PinballPrices.com. Did the prices seem higher or lower? I’m guessing higher because eBay prices generally, but not always, run higher as sellers try to get their 10% back and the buyers aren’t typically the Pinside type of people (less experience). Also eBay includes dealers that are selling and they are almost always significantly higher than person to person. But the data is exactly what the market is doing. Check out the full database. There you can see each and every sale and even what site the sale came from. Thanks!

$8,900 for a Stern Luci is considerably higher than I have seen them selling for in the area's I'd travel to
    $3,775 for a Bally Fathom is at least $1K - $1.5K below market value anywhere I've seen them listed
    $2,938 for a Bally Centaur is seems really low too depending on condition

Other games seem more aligned with my "wet-finger" guess as I take a closer look at titles I've owned in the last 18 months or so. (LOTR, MET, IMDN, GOT, etc)

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lathroum:

Never understoo the Gottlieb Hate.

Three words, "Shoot the Pyramid!"

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from DocFinlay:

The ebay data is only sold price and never includes "Best Offer Accepted" because they never tell you what that is

Sort SOLD by Highest Price First. Then the 'Best Offers' will roughly align with their actual Sale Value (within the field) of SOLD / COMPLETED Items.

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Sort SOLD by Highest Price First. Then the 'Best Offers' will roughly align with their actual Sale Value (within the field) of SOLD / COMPLETED Items.

Thanks, I will try that.

2 months later
    #142 3 years ago

I run PinballPrices.com so I think it's pretty good and we are getting good steady traffic so I hope that says a lot. All the 5,200 sales records i have loaded in to our database are verified sales from Pinside, ebay, and online auction houses that I pay to have access. Scroll down on the home page and it explains the process

And if you have checked us out in the past 24 hours you will see a new price guide layout. Now both laptop and mobile uses can see all the data, not just averages. Hope you like the new look - please let me know.

I am trying to finish loading all the 2020 sales ASAP. We are over 5,200 records now and about 1,140 pinball titles.

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-average-game-values-are-not-realistic-in-2020/page/3?hl=lathroum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.