1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Slim64
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 68 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190621_215056-ANIMATION (resized).png
20200206_181149 (resized).jpg
20200206_145852 (resized).jpg
SAM_1654 (resized).JPG
SAM_1650 (resized).JPG
SAM_1649 (resized).JPG
SAM_1646 (resized).JPG
20200226_124739 (resized).jpg
20180204_163534 (resized).jpg
20180210_084050 (resized).jpg
20180217_131959 (resized).jpg
20180217_141627 (resized).jpg
Tank 003 (resized).jpg
GNR Collection 001 (resized).jpg
Glam Karaoke Rock Party 005 (resized).jpg
Glam Karaoke Rock Party 004 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 1 year ago

I’d post my tank, but I’m embarrassed. My coral is half bleached. I will however post a picture of my automated water change setup.

The computer was just there for initial programming. It’s all handled by the Apex now.

Left side is saltwater, right side is RODI. When it gets low, I get a text and it suspends water changes. I open a few valves, throw in some salt and viola’ the water changes resume.

CDC3ACA2-77DE-4EFF-ACE8-98BEB760D87C (resized).jpeg

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Mayboyz:

Hi all
We do aquariums for a living. This is an aquarium we just competed in Pennsylvania [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wait, isn’t this like some of those TV shows. Aren’t you supposed to throw 38 fish in an uncycled aquarium?

Seriously though, I love the peninsula and I’m happy not to see any fish in an aquarium that was just finished. Thanks for not sacrificing fish for the sake of cycling the aquarium.

1 month later
#38 1 year ago

I finished setting up my Alk dosing pump about a month ago and have it dialed in. It runs for 32 seconds every hour. Alkalinity has been between 7.88 and 8.18 dKH for almost a month with no intervention. The plan is to tackle Calcium next, but I'm out of relay outlets on the EB8 in the basement. My options are start moving equipment under the tank and using the relay outlets on the other EB8 (no thanks), or purchase a EB4 for $120.

Then again I could keep manually dosing Calcium, but when everything else is automated you start to get lazy.

#40 1 year ago

I'm not sure how long ago that was, but things have come a long way. Almost everything can be automated these days. With redundant systems and text alerts, it's pretty easy to maintain a reef tank.

I change filter socks, empty my skimmer cup, clean the glass and feed my fish. If it wasn't for the fact that my sump was under the tank, I could automate the filter socks and skimmer cup. Once a month or so I have to turn a few valves and dump in a bag of salt.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

LOL. No way I am spending that kind of dough on something that MIGHT work while I am out of town.
Also, Im a fresh water guy. Salt water is WAY too much work.

It's not that it might work, it does work. I've been running a controller for years and it's saved my ass quite a few times.

As for being too much work, that's not true at all. It takes me literally 5 minutes to set up the water changes for a month. About 5 minutes to change the filter socks once every week or so. Another 5 minutes to empty the skimmer cup every week and a minute or two to clean the glass.

Other than that, I test once every few weeks for Ca and Alk, which takes all of 5 minutes. All in all, under an hour a month is a good estimate.

Quoted from ralphs007:

A cyanobacteria outbreak,caused me to leave the hobby,close to 20 years ago! I had a 90 gallon reef tank,and I lost a ton of live corals corals,from the outbreak. I tried a ton of water changes,but I lost the battle.
The hardest part,was selling my clown fish,that I had for seven years. I miss the little guy.

Things have definitely changed in those 20 years. The hobby is light years away from where it was back then. Cyano is pretty easy to get rid of now with something like Chemiclean.

11 months later
#51 5 months ago

Anyone want any Orange Ricordea?

C1D90367-CCE1-41D7-8FF5-5C01EB9EB1AD (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Toppers
COINTAKER.COM
$ 218.00
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 90.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 11.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Apparel - Unisex
Lee's Parts
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Various Other Swag
Test item Pre-order!
Pinside Shop
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside