Resized_20240330_121539_1711816868028 (resized).jpeg
koi (resized).jpeg
20240313_190728 (resized).jpg
RenderedImage (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240220_080314946~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_7849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5599 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

No current pics of my tanks on my phone, but here are some of my koi pond. It's around 7k gallons.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love the 7,000 gallon flex. Looks great, btw.

It reminds me of this past Thanksgiving. I was out smoking my turkey when my neighbor approached me all pissed off. He wanted to know if my BIL's dog was mine.

Turned out my BIL let his normally old and calm goldendoodle out back unleashed and I don't have a fence. His dog was found in my neighbor's coi pond. Evidently the only thing that dog can't resist is water. Luckily my FIL calmed down my neighbor with his gift of gab.

I didn't even know my neighbor had a coi pond. He has a fountain on my side, but the coi pond was on the other side of his yard.

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

If you need any help, I'm more than happy to walk you through things. I'd highly recommend getting an ammonia test kit, some ammonia safe and some nitrifying bacteria.
I applaud what you did for the poor little fish, so please don't take anything the wrong way. I'm just trying to make sure you understand what's going to happen in the tank so you can give the best life to your new little buddy.
As he poops in the tank, the poop will create ammonia which is highly toxic to the fish. If it doesn't kill him, it will cause his gills to burn. The tank needs to build up nitrifying bacteria that will convert the ammonia to a less toxic Nitrite and finally to Nitrate. Nitrite is safe unless you're at really high concentrations. This bacteria growth is called the Nitrogen Cycle.
Since you don't have any nitrifying bacteria, you're going to get an ammonia spike followed by a Nitrite spike. The best thing you can do is to seed the tank with nitrifying bacteria, monitor the Ammonia and then dose an Ammonia neutralizer if the concentration spikes. That will protect the fish.
I'd recommend the following;
Ammonia Neutralizer:
amazon.com link »
Nitrifying Bacteria:
amazon.com link »
Tap Water Conditioner:
amazon.com link »
API Test Kit:
amazon.com link »
You always want to condition the tap water when doing a water change and make sure it's at the same temperature as his tank.
Also, if you're going to feed him dry pellets (which are fine), you'll want to soften them in tank water for a few minutes prior to feeding. Betta's are known to have issues with dry food. It causes them to become bloated which can lead to death if not treated, so softening the pellets is the easiest thing to do to prevent that from happening.

Reading this thread was making me want to get a starter tank. When I read the lava lamp thread I ended up with three. Then I read this post and remembered why I never got into aquariums. I can barely keep plants alive.

I had a roommate in college that had a saltwater tank. Every penny he made he put into it.

#122 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm just going to put this here.

Can you find live lobsters in the supermarket anymore? They used to have a tank in the Schnucks in my home town. I've never seen one in any major supermarket for a very long time.

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I still see them at certain price chopper (aka market32) supermarkets.

ForceFlow, you don't have your location. Are you near the coast? I don't see it in MO anymore unless I go to Red Lobster.

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, in the northeast.

That explains it. Love all the fish here though. Sorry, to derail. Seems like I'm only posting about fish these days. Aquariums, bate and fish, and FOF.

1 year later
#154 5 months ago

Dang, that's awesome.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-aquarium-club-the-other-world-behind-glass?tu=ryanstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.