Topic Stats

• 274 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nikonokin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3 11 2017 (resized).PNG
    SafariScreenSnapz095 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.34.26 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20161002-202733 (resized).png
    realboy (resized).jpeg
    TooManyPinsNonsense (resized).png
    tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o2_500 (resized).png
    0845a7dac43cb43a866f53984430c9bd (resized).jpg
    high-five-borat (resized).jpg
    98f (resized).png
    IMG_2253 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1455 (resized).JPG
    images (8) (resized).jpg
    Robin-Martijn-paddling-LA_swamps_w_alligators-Mar2016 (resized).jpg
    legitness (resized).jpg
    pinside - confirm user (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider volcanodiver.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

We are trying to find a sweet sport between usability and security. So new users can keep making topics in sub forums that are relevant to them (like tech), but not in the ones they shouldn't be too interested in at that point (like manufacturers).

How does being new equate in any way to not having an interest in the manufacturers? New here and new to pins are are not the same thing. Also new to pins in general does not mean someone can't be interesting in the companies that make the games.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not a question of interest or not.. but a matter of which areas are most lucrative for abuse. Again.. balancing act.

It was Robins own words "but not in the ones they shouldn't be too interested in at that point (like manufacturers)"

2 months later
    #86 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Starting today, only verified Pinsiders will be able to post to the Manufacturers and the Market sub-forums. We're taking this step to protect the integrity of information on this forum:

and to kill it off.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

You don't want to be verified. You also have about as many thumbs down as thumbs up.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/volcanodiver/forum

Just the way I like it. I'm not here to be everyones friend. I post it how I see it, I expect people to disagree on a discussion forum. awesome 8 more downs just form the previous post alone.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

He's a Stern shill, of course he doesn't want to be verified. He's pissed that he now can't argue with people who have legitimate quality issues.

Wait, I'm a stern shill, holy shit LOL. I hate the crap stern puts out, at least until the last few releases that have actually had drawn art as opposed to media department approved assets strewn on the PF.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

yet more dancing to try to distract away from the root problem. You know how to get verified..

What root problem? I've never said I don't know how. Knowing how and any desire to do so are vastly different things. There's no reason to. I'be been here more than long enough to have seen this place change, and its not for the better.

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The first post of this thread explains the why & how.

As I said I know how. There is no reason to despite Robins beliefs otherwise. Whats the worst that happens, he closes it all down to "non verified" people, no issue for me. I lurked here long before I made an account and can, if I choose lurk if its locked down. Its just a disincentive to provide any useful info or answers.

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Note that you are not *required* to verify your account and there are still many areas of the site and forums where you can participate (the tech & restoration forums, for example). However, since certain select areas of the site and forums have been subject to abuse from spammers, trolls, and other fake accounts, you will need to verify your account in order to participate in those areas.

Like I said "if it were locked down further..."

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I'll add this in -
    Pinside is a community, and this effort was to help keep it as such. As someone who has been here less than a year, and never put in an avatar, location, or any other 'personal' information, you've done nothing to help promote it's community feeling. And now you're speaking out against trying to help make the place better.
    Honestly and sadly, in my eyes, that's pretty much what a troll would do..

Hmm, no personal info, no location, no avitar. Maybe not looking to be a public face on a website. Hmm maybe why I would never verify. Yup nothing but a troll. thats why I was answering questions just last night.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-coin-door-coil-1#post-3540228
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silverball-mania-coin-door-coil#post-3540059

clued DI theme before the reveal:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/down-to-72-hours-until-the-reveal-of-deep-dive/page/5#post-3395064

theres other helpful stuff, some still here, some deleted.
    check your eyes.

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

There is plenty of reason to... the issue is to see that you need to consider people beyond yourself to acknowledge it.
    The root problem as I was eluding to.. is the fact you refuse to participate. If you don't want to.. then you accept the consequences. Nothing else to see here...

look right above that post. I participate, I do/will not verify. There are no consequences.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from dgarrett:

I don't get your angst about Robin's new policy. Kill what off? If you won't verify, you don't have rights to those areas - what's the problem?

Exactly, there are no problems for me. I just don't help people anymore in restricted formus, even if I know an answer. I can still look at those areas if I have a problem and see if there is an answer there. win/win for me.

its always a good idea to limit access to people who might choose to help. LOL.

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Then there is nothing to "kill the forum off" either as you claim.
    Whatever... I'm not taking the bait anymore... stand proud.. revolt.. I don't care.. cya!

ready what I said, "if its locked down further" is what i posted. Eliminating more areas, that's the kind of thing that can kill off a forum since new people will not have incentive to join something w/o barriers. Most people with a question are not going to donate, or verify, to get one question answered. They might after they have been around a while, which would be unlikely "if its locked down further".

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If another member can vouch for you, you can send them a verification request:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/my-pinside/verification
    Have you met someone at a show? Bought or sold something with someone? Know someone local?

I'll vouch for him, lol. I can guarantee he's met someone at some point in his life.

Even I've met people, Heck I know Hilton and he knows who I am, along with many others. He does not know who I am on here though, since its not necessary. Spent time playing his DE time machine at MGC in Robs room a while back.

#136 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's not the way account verification works. Members are guests on the site, and in order to participate on certain areas of the site which have been troublesome in regards to spamming and trolling, all we ask is that you confirm you are a real person in some way.
    Account verification strikes a balance between maintaining privacy of personal details and maintaining community integrity.
    There are multiple ways to verify your account, and it's up to you to decide which method works best for you. If you use an automated method of verification, we never see the authentication details. If you choose to open a feedback thread, then of course, we will see anything you post in that thread, but will not share those details outside of the staff.

Well I'm clearly a real person, I'm not Pinocchio nor a robot. Based on your just stated requirement I should already be verified. Put one of those silly captchas up. I'll show I'm a real person not a cyborg. Just not what real person.

#137 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Fair point, but having seen these kinds of autocratic hurdles and barriers to participation being applied on other forums domestically they typically end up causing more harm than good in the long run particularly in terms of growth but the underlying dogma in that it promotes cliqueism amongst the general membership and a largely unnecessary barrier to new participants.
    A new user will typically not have this luxury and will be required to pass on his/her details to the leadership team, something that given the leadership team has now effectively refused to divulge their personal iinformation that many new users may be reticent to reciprocate in kind.
    I am not looking at this from a personal standpoint but from a bigger long term picture in terms of broader positive forum outcomes.
    I also note that as a 5 year plus member on pinside and that I have my location listed having done so for a majority of my tenure here, so in my view the requirements of having an arbitrary tick of approval next to my name for the purposes of removing posting restrictions and gaining "forum cred" do seem a bit superfluous.

Someone who gets it. ---^

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

if you actually know me and want to be verified, then shoot me a message with who you are and Ill verify you.

Thanks for the offer but I have no desire to get verified.
    From the pm's I think you now know that we likely o actually know each other, but w/o knowing who I actually am

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Once again.... switching the subject to avoid being cornered. Bot or not is not the point of the system. Duh. You are being obtuse to just serve your own agenda. Don't want to play nice with others? Fine... then move along. The world is bigger than your personal mission to stay obscured.
    Account validation is just as meaningful as having account logins in the first place. It's just a different, and better, token than the commodity that emails have become.

What was switched, the mod stated it's "to prove you are a real person".
    You said it yourself verification is as meaningful as using email addresses- not at all. So there's no reason to do it.

#149 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Negative ghost rider... it's to protect against users who seek to disrupt the community through lies and disengenus behavior.
    People survived having to have an email address to have accounts.
    People survived having to validate email addresses...
    People survived (and many appreciate) that the content and community has moderation and isn't a free for all
    The majority of the site does not have new requirements to gain from pinside or even participate
    The level of "burden" is largely trivial... and even already done by a large percentage of modern internet users.
    Drive-by users aren't growth anyway... it's about retention and returning users. Of which... the burden of validation is a one time thing.
    The sad thing is people get angry at those trying to clean up the problem verse ostracizing the people and behavior that made it necessary in the first place.

Oh please point out my lies and disingenuous behaviour! Since I'm not verified and don't want to be according to you that's all I am. It should be easy.

#155 7 years ago

No I didn't... but your schtick is obvious and predictable.

Sorry, I changed a word accidentally, my error. Email as opposed to login...

"Account validation is just as meaningful as having account logins".

Yes, you did.

#157 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

If it was about buying in... I'd agree with you.... but the system here is not.

Ha, keep telling yourself that, robin admitted he's monetizing the site. He quit his freaking job to run it "full time". You accuse the non verified trash (not name calling, totally including myself here) of providing nothing but lies and disingenuous things, but you just spewed it yourself. Pot, please meet the kettle.

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from woodchuck:

Wife says i"m good so their!!

She said I am too. Oops, uh never mind.... Lol

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is slightly more to it than that. Some of the spammers & trolls operate throwaway/duplicate accounts. It's easy for someone who is determined to cause mayhem to sign up for an email address and create an account.
    Verification is designed to prevent that and hold the member accountable in some small way to prove they are a legitimate visitor on the site, and to put up a few roadblocks to help keep trolls from causing disruptions that take away some enjoyment from others who like to participate on the site.

I know why it was done, it's still stupid.
    I just went by exactly what you said the verification was "too prove you are a real person" now you're saying is to prove a person is a "legitimate user" either the target is moving or there is no actual target.
    Around here anyone who disagrees is branded a troll, it does not mean they are, it just means they aren't sheep. Shit I've been called a troll in this thread already just for saying I won't verify. That's the attitude problem with this place and another of the reasons why I would never verify myself to a place like this. This place is worse than a high school in terms of the peer pressure and cliques.

#163 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You don't have to verify. But that has been said over and over. I didn't verify until recently when the policies changed. But you are an interesting case, because it isn't just the personal information you are against, you are actually trying to avoid people you have met from being able to identify your online persona. That is the exact tactic that has been used by others here that they are trying to stop. And the changes in policy (not posting in manufacturer threads and others), is just to combat trolling.
    And you really sound like one of those folks that loudly posts in a thread that they are draining that thread. You can rally around the banner of "no verification" all you want, but that's the policies of Pinside now. No matter how you try to box ForceFlow into a corner with word parsing, it is what it is. You understand the policy, even if you don't want to accept it.

Again, more if you're not like us, you're against us. I have no problem not verifying and therefore not being able to post in certain areas now, and I'm sure in more areas eventually. All that will do is prevent new users from joining who have simple questions, and prevent some people from answering questions.

#165 7 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Thats simply not true as new members can sign up and verify in less than 5 minutes. But you knew that already.
    You are just trolling.

Not trolling at all, simply being honest. You're a fool if you believe someone unfamiliar with this place with a simple question will verify in order to ask a question. They will go elsewhere and it will get evermore inbred here.

#201 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

And yet you're doing exactly what he's accusing you of.
    Lots of people coming after volcanodiver in this thread, and he's the one getting moderated? How is volcanodiver a broken record, but flynnibus and DaveH aren't?
    Oh, right: because volcanodiver disagrees with the rules here, and the other guys are in total agreement with all things Pinside.
    If that ain't some cliquey BS then what is?

I'm stunned you didn't get a temp ban for this, you questioned a moderator. That's like an executable offense around here. Remember, they must know who you are, but we can't know them. They get to be anon when they decide to slap someone down. Just like there won't be a name attached to the ban I get for this post. I know years ago they claimed people were bothering them in real life, so they "needed" anonymity. but everyone else, nah they don't. No one back then ever asked for their real names or info, just to know which mod it was who decided to take action, but even that was too much. You must trust them, even though they won't trust you. Now I'll be leaving this thread as I'm about to be kicked from it anyway.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider volcanodiver.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-account-verification?tu=volcanodiver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.