Topic Stats

• 274 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nikonokin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3 11 2017 (resized).PNG
    SafariScreenSnapz095 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.34.26 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20161002-202733 (resized).png
    realboy (resized).jpeg
    TooManyPinsNonsense (resized).png
    tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o2_500 (resized).png
    0845a7dac43cb43a866f53984430c9bd (resized).jpg
    high-five-borat (resized).jpg
    98f (resized).png
    IMG_2253 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1455 (resized).JPG
    images (8) (resized).jpg
    Robin-Martijn-paddling-LA_swamps_w_alligators-Mar2016 (resized).jpg
    legitness (resized).jpg
    pinside - confirm user (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Pinside is a tight-knit community, and an important aspect of such a community is trust. Recent events, often caused by throwaway/fake accounts, have threatened the integrity of our site. Today we're announcing Pinside account verification, our answer to a growing number of incidents involving spammers or fake accounts.

For starters, spammers. In recent months we have been fighting an ongoing battle with tenacious spammers who (after finding out that their forum spam postings were being removed incredibly quick by our fantastic moderator team) came up with new ways to spread their useless junk. They started targeting locations in our pinball map and even creating pinball events to try and spread their annoying messages.

Secondly, we want to put a stop to fake account creation and the spreading of (Mis)information from anonymous sources without anyone to hold accountable for it. We also want to make sure that people take our rules seriously and by making it harder to create a second (verified) account, we hope to curb this.

verified-badge (resized).pngverified-badge (resized).png

What is verified account status?
    Being verified means your account was checked against a third party system (or another Pinsider) to make sure you are a legit person and not someone using a duplicate or throwaway/fake/troll account. Getting verified is essentially anonymous, and user details (like your real name or location) will not be shared unless you decide to share them with others via your privacy settings.

Do I need to have my account verified?
    Being verified is not mandatory. However, you need to be verified if you want to:
    - post to hot (flaming) threads
    - post to topics in certain sub-forums (e.g. the manufacturer or market sub-forums)
    - Make more than x posts per day, or more than x pm's per day (in other words, if you're a power user)
    - Place a marketplace ad
    - Adding or editing Pinside map locations
    - Adding events to our events calendar
    - Etc.

Note: the above limitations were originally not put into effect at the time of this announcement to give people some time to verify their account. As of now, some of the limitations are currently in effect. Please see the follow-up update posts one and two for details.

How do I become verified?
    First of all, the good news is that many of you will already be verified due to a donation (or marketplace fee payment) in the recent past.

We currently have 4 ways to get verified.

Method 1: Paypal verification mechanism via oAuth. This method is completely free and only requires a Paypal account. This process works the same as our Pinside Biz verification (which we introduced a while ago). In a nutshell, Paypal verification means logging in with Paypal and confirm that it's okay to share your name, address and account verified status with Pinside.com. Answer yes and you'll be brought back to Pinside and you're verified. It only takes a minute! We chose Paypal because most pinheads have a Paypal account and because their APIs allow us to perform this verification free of charge.

Method 2a: Make a donation to Pinside. ($5 minimum) and get a free heart icon to boot. If you make a donation to Pinside (or made one in the past) our records will "know" your identity through the transaction details. In other words, if you have donated you will automatically be verified. A lot of you will therefore already be verified at this time.

Method 2b: Pay $1 dollar through Paypal or Stripe (creditcard) and you'll get verified instantly. Our records will "know" your identity through the transaction details.

Method 3: Have another verified Pinside account vouch for you. If the account that was vouched for turns out to be a fake account, those who vouched for you will be responsible and could get their own accounts closed if bad intensions are suspected (temp or perm), Pinside staff decides this on a case by case basis.

You can start the verify process here. And if all is successful, you should see this in your my-account page:

This shows you are verified.This shows you are verified.

I don't want to verify. I want to remain anonymous!
    It's important to note that being verified only means identifying yourself to Pinside (yours truly). This information will not be visible to anyone else (unless you CHOOSE to share that information via the privacy settings in your profile).

That said, of course you're free to remain anonymous. But it's also Pinside's right to impose certain limitations on unverified users. We want to stop spam, protect the integrity of our community and avoid unwarranted (reputation) damage to third parties, due to false rumors, misinformation, scams, etc. spread via Pinside

#70 7 years ago

Hey all, today I enabled the first limitations for non-verified members.

From now on, creating events in our calendar and listing marketplace ads requires a verified Pinside account.

And about time too! The mod team and I have been deleting loads of scammer ads and events spam lately, which I hope to put a stop to with this new requirement.

Of course account verification is also a barrier of entry for new Pinside members wanting to place marketplace ads or advertise their events, and that's kind of a bummer. But I think the pros outweigh the cons. Plus, verification is quick and easy so there's really no reason not to do it.

...Coming up next (next week), I will enable the verification requirement for posting to certain sub-forums (most notably, the manufacturers sub-forums). Please make sure your account has the checkbox icon if you wish to keep posting in those sub-forums. Thanks!

2 months later
    #85 7 years ago

Starting today, only verified Pinsiders will be able to post to the Manufacturers and the Market sub-forums. We're taking this step to protect the integrity of information on this forum:

Quoted from robin:

Pinside is a tight-knit community and an important aspect of such a community is trust. Recent events, often caused by throwaway/fake accounts, have threatened the integrity of our site. Today we're announcing Pinside account verification, our answer to a growing number of incidents involving spammers or fake accounts.
    For starters, spammers. In recent months we have been fighting an ongoing battle with tenacious spammers who (after finding out that their forum spam postings were being removed incredibly quick by our amazing moderator team) came up with new ways to spread their useless junk; They started targeting locations in our pinball map and even creating pinball events to try and spread their annoying messages.
    Secondly, we want to put a stop to fake account creation and the spreading of (mis)information from anonymous sources without anyone to hold accountable for it. We also want to make sure that people take our rules seriously and by making it harder to create a second (verified) account we hope to curb this.

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Can you see who verified you? Just noticed that I was, and curious if the person who verified me knows I am a real person and not a bot.

A generous bot. You were verified because you have made a donation to Pinside in the past.

#176 7 years ago

Everyone is always very welcome to disagree. But I'm not gonna endlessly argue the reasoning behind our decisions. Especially not after they have taken many hours to get implemented.

In the past years, Pinside has had an increasing problem with spammers abusing the locations and events sections. Scammers abusing the Marketplace. Unverified/new accounts trolling and spreading rumors (mostly in the popular manufacturers sub-forums). We have seen random (new) accounts claiming to be (ex-)employees from various manufacturers and spreading false rumors. People bumping and endorsing their own for sale threads with duplicate accounts. And we've had banned accounts come back under pseudonyms to continue posting as if nothing happened.

I thought about a solution long and hard. One that would not put off legit newcomers to the site. Ultimately it was decided to go for verification. In most cases, it's quick, free and painless. Unless you don't have Paypal (I'm very interested to hear your ideas for alternative verification means).

I have no problem with people who disagree with Pinside decisions. In fact, I welcome any alternative ideas to the solutions that the team and I come up with. In the case of verification, you had 2 months to come up with your alternative ideas to our problem. Now that the decision was made (and time invested in implementing it) it's a bit late to start complaining. Why not be constructive and come up with other means of verification?

As for the accusations that verification is just about making money. Uhm. Verification is free.

Hey, as with all things I launch, this is all "in beta". If it doesn't work like I hope it will, or if it has unwanted side-effects (e.g. fewer newbies signing up) then we will go back to the drawing board. Rethink. Adjust. But so far, verification has been working great in the Market / Map / Events sections. Let's hope it will work just as well for the forums.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

From what I've heard, the moderators f**king hate me.

From what I remember from last TPF, we shared quite a few laughs at the Pinside booth with you Mr. Beelzeboob. Please don't cry!

#178 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I sent a verification request to someone that I had PM'd with in the past. They denied the request, which is fine because we have never actually met in person. But now that option is unavailable to me because 1 person denied my request?

Yes, you currently only get one chance from the system in order to keep people from sending out dozens of random requests. I am planning to allow for 3 shots in a future update.

For now, I have removed your previous verification attempt so you can try again with someone else.

Edit: A trusted source has just vouched for you. I have verified your account!

#182 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

So verified users don't exhibit these behaviors?

Note that the tag says "Verified Pinsider". It doesn't say "Great Pinsider". Verification is not some magic potion that will suddenly make bad Pinsiders into truthful, patient, friendly or beautiful people. It won't make coffee either.

I don't expect it to. It is there to *help* stop spam and trolling and to make it harder to create a duplicate account. Will it stop all abuse? Probably not. But it's definitely helping so far.

2 weeks later
    #226 7 years ago
    Quoted from 7Warpig7:

I am not verified, guilty until proven innocent, but it doesn't stop me from getting spam PM's "Hey wanna selll game X from your collection? I'll come today and pay cash!!!!!!". Trending down...

That has little to do with verification, but it would be a nice feature to have a checkbox on your collection page, which you could enable/disable ("it's okay to contact me about games to sell/buy").

Quoted from Malenko:

ya know that thread you posted in 19 times, well you cant reply again.
    So fucking stupid. Even dumber for the people that have been here for 4 years+

Not sure why the profanity or anger. Most people who have been here 4+ years have either made a donation to support Pinside, made a sale via the marketplace or have a friend on here who has done either (and who's willing to click the verify link for their account).

Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I understand some peoples frustration with it. It seems annoying and long to do but once you do it you realize how quick and painless it is. Do it once and its done. Almost like a vasectomy. Then you are free to spew without consequences

Uhm.. yeah. That's one way to explain how easy verification is

Quoted from pinsanity:

Based on past experiences on local forums, I believe it is the first step towards the beginning of a slippery slope.
    Time will tell, but I am hoping the far broader forum demographics of pinside at both managerial and general membership level will act as a counter to it, which was/is an aspect completely lacking down here on the local forums.

We are always looking to improve Pinside and this decision is just that. It's implemented to counter some issues that were causing us a lot of trouble/time/grief. We want to make sure Pinside can keep going on for a long time without falling victim to the threats that bring down other sites. I'm not seeing the slippery slope right now but feel free to voice your concerns (here or via PM) and I will try to address them as best I can! Pinside does not exist without its members so naturally I'm interested in your feedback.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-account-verification?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.