Topic Stats

• 274 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nikonokin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3 11 2017 (resized).PNG
    SafariScreenSnapz095 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.34.26 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20161002-202733 (resized).png
    realboy (resized).jpeg
    TooManyPinsNonsense (resized).png
    tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o2_500 (resized).png
    0845a7dac43cb43a866f53984430c9bd (resized).jpg
    high-five-borat (resized).jpg
    98f (resized).png
    IMG_2253 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1455 (resized).JPG
    images (8) (resized).jpg
    Robin-Martijn-paddling-LA_swamps_w_alligators-Mar2016 (resized).jpg
    legitness (resized).jpg
    pinside - confirm user (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsanity.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

This sounds good to me. I also think you should put a 90 day time period for new pinside members before they can post a market place ad.
    Mike

It is a fair point, but I have seen firsthand on other forums that the more hurdles you put up in front of new members then the greater the probability that the forum becomes clique driven.

Keep the barriers to entry and participation to as minimal as reasonably possible without compromising integrity is my view.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Maybe another way to be verified would be to have so many years of membership. 2 years seems like a good number.

Agreed. Perhaps a distinction needs to be drawn between new users of say one to three months duration (which should be ample time to ascertain any poster's intentions) and long term members who simply opt to remain "unverified".

2 months later
    #129 7 years ago

As a demonstration of legitimacy and sincerity in the implementation of this change there should be a sticky thread created which contains the Admin and Moderator's contact details that can only be viewed by "verified" user accounts.

This will no doubt assist in maintaining forum integrity and top down transparency.

Quid pro quo.

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's not the way account verification works. Members are guests on the site, and in order to participate on certain areas of the site which have been troublesome in regards to spamming and trolling, all we ask is that you confirm you are a real person in some way.
    Account verification strikes a balance between maintaining privacy of personal details and maintaining community integrity.
    There are multiple ways to verify your account, and it's up to you to decide which method works best for you. If you use an automated method of verification, we never see the authentication details. If you choose to open a feedback thread, then of course, we will see anything you post in that thread, but will not share those details outside of the staff.

Fair point, but having seen these kinds of autocratic hurdles and barriers to participation being applied on other forums domestically they typically end up causing more harm than good in the long run particularly in terms of growth but the underlying dogma in that it promotes cliqueism amongst the general membership and a largely unnecessary barrier to new participants.

Now I just got a friend to verify my account thereby bypassing divulging my contact details to the Admin/Moderator team and I have no doubt in my mind this method will have been used by countless other users on here to circumvent the requirement. A new user will typically not have this luxury and will be required to pass on his/her details to the leadership team, something that given the leadership team has now effectively refused to divulge their personal iinformation that many new users may be reticent to reciprocate in kind.

I am not looking at this from a personal standpoint but from a bigger long term picture in terms of broader positive forum outcomes.

I also note that as a 5 year plus member on pinside and that I have my location listed having done so for a majority of my tenure here, so in my view the requirements of having an arbitrary tick of approval next to my name for the purposes of removing posting restrictions and gaining "forum cred" do seem a bit superfluous.

All good though and problem solved. Carry on.

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I love it when people are against a system they don't even know....
    You don't have to expose your personal details to pinside! PayPal shares that you are verified... not your info

It's an unecessary hurdle and a barrier to participation either way.

Are users on pinside so precious that they need to be protected from an opposing viewpoint from a user that has been arbitrarily deemed illegitimate?

Building higher walls around a forum to protect the existing inhabitants harms forum growth. I have seen it implemented on our forums domestically to their detriment.

#148 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Drive-by users aren't growth anyway... it's about retention and returning users.

Like I said, whilst the intentions may be virtuous the underlying (and perhaps unintended) result is that it promotes cliquism which ultimately harms forum growth in the long run.

#192 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I have my moments. Still though: the constant need for Pinsiders to jump on anyone who doesn't agree with the groupthink 'round these parts is ridiculous. It's not conducive to meaningful conversation, and it really makes the non-Pinside Boys Club members uncomfortable.

The purple circle know that taking the path of least resistance by consistently siding with those in positions of authority and repeatedly poking at any individual who expresses an alternate viewpoint will inevitably lead to moderator intervention in their favour every time no matter how spurious the reasoning behind the intervention.

As you pointed out it will unfortunately also lead to a gradual sterility to what is one of the major pinball forums with a diversity of membership base and viewpoints.

There is always going to be an established dominant ingroup no matter which forum you join, the key being that it must be kept from overwhelming any thread which necessitates civilised discourse and certainly not publicly validated by way of unilateral thread banning for what was in essence nothing more than a dissenting opinion.

#203 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

To be a moderator, lots of work for no pay
    Where do I sign up

Try AussieArcade, but you live in the wrong State so it would be a tokenistic window dressing position anyway.

#206 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

lols
    I once moderated a forum, never again

Darksoul worships the position because he gets to claim knee pads and chapstick as a tax deduction.

Good foresight though because from an AA Vic perspective, it is probably a role more suited to those with a predominant lapdoug personality trait as it is.

1 week later
    #224 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Consider it a minor, one-time inconvenience.

Based on past experiences on local forums, I believe it is the first step towards the beginning of a slippery slope.

Time will tell, but I am hoping the far broader forum demographics of pinside at both managerial and general membership level will act as a counter to it, which was/is an aspect completely lacking down here on the local forums.

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Good grief. The old slippery slope cliche.

It isn't a cliche if the observations are based on empirical data. Being in finance you should know that already.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

The real funny thing is how important an issue people seem to want to make it.

Not at all, but I would be more concerned if every person on the forum simply nodded their heads in agreement without a single voice of concern or discussion raised. That would be the kind of servile abasement I would expect to see on a morally corrupt forum like AussieArcade.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Go ask your wife what she thinks of it and she'll laugh in your face.

I really enjoy when the local AA loyalists get the shits on when I indirectly criticise their domestic sacred cows and then rebut by turning it into a personal attack. Hate to break it to you Michael, but since you live in NSW the stooges who run AA don't give a stuff about you or your mod business. Their raison d'etre is to promote Queensland based pinball interests at the expense of every other State. The rest is just tokenistic window dressing designed to fill the AA coffers (e.g. instant all access pass to the trading section with a "donation") as a commercial operation and give the misleading perception that the forum on outward appearances is pretending to live up to its namesake.

Quoted from robin:

We are always looking to improve Pinside and this decision is just that. It's implemented to counter some issues that were causing us a lot of trouble/time/grief. We want to make sure Pinside can keep going on for a long time without falling victim to the threats that bring down other sites. I'm not seeing the slippery slope right now but feel free to voice your concerns (here or via PM) and I will try to address them as best I can! Pinside does not exist without its members so naturally I'm interested in your feedback.

Thanks Robin for your receptivity and the opportunity to provide feedback on what is by and large a well run successful forum. Much appreciated.

#239 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh, I have GOT to get to Australia sometime soon. Seems so friendly!!!

It's a good community provided you associate with those who have no ties to either of the two factions that operate down here.
    My door and collection is always open to those who fit that no affiliative ties category and there are numerous people (local, interstate and international) who I have been happy to welcome into my home, play some pins and talk pinball.
    Any time you make it to Australia and are in my area drop me a PM. I've been to the US a number of times and always admired how well organised, open and apolitical their public pinball events are so it would be remiss of me not to reciprocate that level of hospitality.

Added over 7 years ago:

Quoted from PopBumperPete:Yes, we live in an uncaring and heartless world

I know you care PBP despite your publicly flippant attitude.

Otherwise you wouldn't be sending me private unsolicited correspondence complaining about the parlous state of the domestic pinball community and looking to me for advice.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsanity.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-account-verification?tu=pinsanity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.