Topic Stats

• 274 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nikonokin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3 11 2017 (resized).PNG
    SafariScreenSnapz095 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.34.26 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20161002-202733 (resized).png
    realboy (resized).jpeg
    TooManyPinsNonsense (resized).png
    tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o2_500 (resized).png
    0845a7dac43cb43a866f53984430c9bd (resized).jpg
    high-five-borat (resized).jpg
    98f (resized).png
    IMG_2253 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1455 (resized).JPG
    images (8) (resized).jpg
    Robin-Martijn-paddling-LA_swamps_w_alligators-Mar2016 (resized).jpg
    legitness (resized).jpg
    pinside - confirm user (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Skip, you have posted about your upcoming machines for sale so much that people are sick of hearing your broken record. You're free to post marketplace ads like anyone else.
    No one should be able to start a dozen threads about the same coming soon sale.

I started a total of 3 threads - all asking for ideas & advice - and all I got was "how much - where are the prices - etc". I have never tried to sell a bunch of machines all at once before and was just looking to a forum for some help. I still don't understand what was wrong with that?

But people like you just had to keep giving me a hard time about trying to figure out how best to sell a bunch of machines quickly. And because of "all" the help I got now I am going to have to do things the hard way and list one machine at a time which was what I was trying to avoid in the first place!

#152 7 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

What was switched, the mod stated it's "to prove you are a real person".

Yes... but not as opposed to being a bot. But being a fake or duplicate user.

You said it yourself verification is as meaningful as using email addresses- not at all. So there's no reason to do it.

No I didn't... but your schtick is obvious and predictable.

#153 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Like I said, whilst the intentions may be virtuous the underlying (and perhaps unintended) result is that it promotes cliquism which ultimately harms forum growth in the long run.

If it was about buying in... I'd agree with you.... but the system here is not. And the site has survived having "premium" style users through donation for a long period without that happening. And I'm part of plenty of larger communities that have premium accounts and also have not suffered as you predict.

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I started a total of 3 threads - all asking for ideas & advice

You started five, got great advice (nearly 800 posts total), kept posting over and over and over and over and indicated you were losing sleep and having mental problems. You're still free to put up ads in the marketplace. Hopefully you're not free to annoy the heck out of everyone by posting another few hundred times that you've got some machines you'll be selling soon. Everyone who cares and a lot who don't already know that. Go to the marketplace if you want to post games for sale on Pinside.

TooManyPinsNonsense (resized).pngTooManyPinsNonsense (resized).png

#155 7 years ago

No I didn't... but your schtick is obvious and predictable.

Sorry, I changed a word accidentally, my error. Email as opposed to login...

"Account validation is just as meaningful as having account logins".

Yes, you did.

#156 7 years ago

Wife says i"m good so their!!

#157 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

If it was about buying in... I'd agree with you.... but the system here is not.

Ha, keep telling yourself that, robin admitted he's monetizing the site. He quit his freaking job to run it "full time". You accuse the non verified trash (not name calling, totally including myself here) of providing nothing but lies and disingenuous things, but you just spewed it yourself. Pot, please meet the kettle.

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from woodchuck:

Wife says i"m good so their!!

She said I am too. Oops, uh never mind.... Lol

#159 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I am verified but I am not allowed to post about machines I have coming up for sale since a few "bad apples" started a bunch of shit on a couple of my post a few weeks back. Blocking people from posting about pinball machines on a pinball machine forum just doesn't make any sense to me? Why not block the "bad guys" and let me tell the community about nearly 100 machines that are going to be coming up for sale shortly?
    My beef isn't with Robin or the moderators - my issue is with the way things got handled when I asked the pinball community for some help and advise. I am still planning on listing machines for sale here on the marketplace. But I am seriously wondering how successful a pinball site is going to be long term when it doesn't allow people to talk about pinball machines coming up for sale?
    In any event I don't blame Robin for trying to make a few bucks with all the work involved in running a site like this and I think overall he has done a great job with the site. I just am sad to see where things have gone with the "pinball community" and I think this is the beginning of the end for the future of this hobby. There are way too many negative people involved in the hobby these days and way too much "sour grapes".
    Thankfully my son & I have decided to head different directions and we are going to be walking away from this hobby shortly. But it really saddens me to see where things are headed.

The main problem is that you keep posting about the upcoming sale, which is perceived as milking it for attention and teasing it. People don't like that. They just want to see the game(s) posted, and that's all. They don't really care to hear long drawn out explanations or reasonings about your process without "showing the goods". Seeing multiple threads on the topic without "showing the goods" is perceived as annoying and a waste of their time. That is the reason why your posts have drawn some of the ire that they have. And you're doing it again.

That said--folks, please don't drag this thread off-topic with discussing too-many-pin's potential sale. This is not the thread for it.

#160 7 years ago

Well I'm clearly a real person, I'm not Pinocchio nor a robot. Based on your just stated requirement I should already be verified. Put one of those silly captchas up. I'll show I'm a real person not a cyborg. Just not what real person.

There is slightly more to it than that. Some of the spammers & trolls operate throwaway/duplicate accounts. It's easy for someone who is determined to cause mayhem to sign up for an email address and create an account.

Verification is designed to prevent that and hold the member accountable in some small way to prove they are a legitimate visitor on the site, and to put up a few roadblocks to help keep trolls from causing disruptions that take away some enjoyment from others who like to participate on the site.

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is slightly more to it than that. Some of the spammers & trolls operate throwaway/duplicate accounts. It's easy for someone who is determined to cause mayhem to sign up for an email address and create an account.
    Verification is designed to prevent that and hold the member accountable in some small way to prove they are a legitimate visitor on the site, and to put up a few roadblocks to help keep trolls from causing disruptions that take away some enjoyment from others who like to participate on the site.

I know why it was done, it's still stupid.
    I just went by exactly what you said the verification was "too prove you are a real person" now you're saying is to prove a person is a "legitimate user" either the target is moving or there is no actual target.
    Around here anyone who disagrees is branded a troll, it does not mean they are, it just means they aren't sheep. Shit I've been called a troll in this thread already just for saying I won't verify. That's the attitude problem with this place and another of the reasons why I would never verify myself to a place like this. This place is worse than a high school in terms of the peer pressure and cliques.

#162 7 years ago

I know why it was done, it's still stupid.
    I just went by exactly what you said the verification was "too prove you are a real person" now you're saying is to prove a person is a "legitimate user" either the target is moving or there is no actual target.
    Around here anyone who disagrees is branded a troll, it does not mean they are, it just means they aren't sheep. Shit I've been called a troll in this thread already just for saying I won't verify. That's the attitude problem with this place and another of the reasons why I would never verify myself to a place like this. This place is worse than a high school in terms of the peer pressure and cliques.

You don't have to verify. But that has been said over and over. I didn't verify until recently when the policies changed. But you are an interesting case, because it isn't just the personal information you are against, you are actually trying to avoid people you have met from being able to identify your online persona. That is the exact tactic that has been used by others here that they are trying to stop. And the changes in policy (not posting in manufacturer threads and others), is just to combat trolling.

And you really sound like one of those folks that loudly posts in a thread that they are draining that thread. You can rally around the banner of "no verification" all you want, but that's the policies of Pinside now. No matter how you try to box ForceFlow into a corner with word parsing, it is what it is. You understand the policy, even if you don't want to accept it.

#163 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You don't have to verify. But that has been said over and over. I didn't verify until recently when the policies changed. But you are an interesting case, because it isn't just the personal information you are against, you are actually trying to avoid people you have met from being able to identify your online persona. That is the exact tactic that has been used by others here that they are trying to stop. And the changes in policy (not posting in manufacturer threads and others), is just to combat trolling.
    And you really sound like one of those folks that loudly posts in a thread that they are draining that thread. You can rally around the banner of "no verification" all you want, but that's the policies of Pinside now. No matter how you try to box ForceFlow into a corner with word parsing, it is what it is. You understand the policy, even if you don't want to accept it.

Again, more if you're not like us, you're against us. I have no problem not verifying and therefore not being able to post in certain areas now, and I'm sure in more areas eventually. All that will do is prevent new users from joining who have simple questions, and prevent some people from answering questions.

#164 7 years ago

Thats simply not true as new members can sign up and verify in less than 5 minutes. But you knew that already.

You are just trolling.

#165 7 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Thats simply not true as new members can sign up and verify in less than 5 minutes. But you knew that already.
    You are just trolling.

Not trolling at all, simply being honest. You're a fool if you believe someone unfamiliar with this place with a simple question will verify in order to ask a question. They will go elsewhere and it will get evermore inbred here.

#166 7 years ago

Again, more if you're not like us, you're against us

Again, horsecrap. There are lots of dissenting opinions from verified users. In fact, some verified users are dinks, and I support their dinkhood here. None of this is to turn Pinside into groupthink central. You can disagree all you want. If you don't like something, you can say it, just like you are doing in this thread.

#167 7 years ago

This place is worse than a high school in terms of the peer pressure and cliques.

And yet here you are.

#168 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

And yet here you are.

And yet you're doing exactly what he's accusing you of.

Lots of people coming after volcanodiver in this thread, and he's the one getting moderated? How is volcanodiver a broken record, but flynnibus and DaveH aren't?

Oh, right: because volcanodiver disagrees with the rules here, and the other guys are in total agreement with all things Pinside.

If that ain't some cliquey BS then what is?

#169 7 years ago

You're cute.

#170 7 years ago

I have my moments. Still though: the constant need for Pinsiders to jump on anyone who doesn't agree with the groupthink 'round these parts is ridiculous. It's not conducive to meaningful conversation, and it really makes the non-Pinside Boys Club members uncomfortable.

#171 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I have my moments. Still though: the constant need for Pinsiders to jump on anyone who doesn't agree with the groupthink 'round these parts is ridiculous. It's not conducive to meaningful conversation, and it really makes the non-Pinside Boys Club members uncomfortable.

yes, it is pinsides biggest downside
    you would think that with most of us being from an older demographic we would be better than that

#172 7 years ago

Look, I really didn't jump on the guy...just busted his balls a bit which is what I do with everybody here, including myself. So I think you were going after the wrong person here. My point with volcanodiver is that you can have a dissenting opinion, but how you communicate that opinion is pretty big. I'm sure he's a nice guy in person, but he comes across completely different in writing. And if you're going to complain about Pinside, just don't come here. Nobody's being forced to be here, and I've been known (very recently) to completely detach from it for months at a time. And believe me...I'm not a member of the "Pinside Boy's Club" at all. From what I've heard, the moderators f**king hate me. I cry myself to sleep every night just thinking about it.

#173 7 years ago

I'm a privacy, and an anonymous(?), "nutcase" on most issues. But!!!! The information I have gained from this site is awesome! I don't see a problem or a big deal with being verified. Heck, I've bought and sold things on Ebay to other members that now have my info.. Like I said, I'm a privacy nut...But I don't see the big deal here.

If I had a serious question or topic, what's 2 min. to verify I'm a real person?

#174 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

From what I've heard, the moderators f**king hate me. I cry myself to sleep every night just thinking about it.

Nah, you're an ok dude

#175 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Look, I just busted his balls a bit Nobody's being forced to believe me...I f**king hate me. I cry myself to sleep every night just thinking about it.

Crybaby

#176 7 years ago

Everyone is always very welcome to disagree. But I'm not gonna endlessly argue the reasoning behind our decisions. Especially not after they have taken many hours to get implemented.

In the past years, Pinside has had an increasing problem with spammers abusing the locations and events sections. Scammers abusing the Marketplace. Unverified/new accounts trolling and spreading rumors (mostly in the popular manufacturers sub-forums). We have seen random (new) accounts claiming to be (ex-)employees from various manufacturers and spreading false rumors. People bumping and endorsing their own for sale threads with duplicate accounts. And we've had banned accounts come back under pseudonyms to continue posting as if nothing happened.

I thought about a solution long and hard. One that would not put off legit newcomers to the site. Ultimately it was decided to go for verification. In most cases, it's quick, free and painless. Unless you don't have Paypal (I'm very interested to hear your ideas for alternative verification means).

I have no problem with people who disagree with Pinside decisions. In fact, I welcome any alternative ideas to the solutions that the team and I come up with. In the case of verification, you had 2 months to come up with your alternative ideas to our problem. Now that the decision was made (and time invested in implementing it) it's a bit late to start complaining. Why not be constructive and come up with other means of verification?

As for the accusations that verification is just about making money. Uhm. Verification is free.

Hey, as with all things I launch, this is all "in beta". If it doesn't work like I hope it will, or if it has unwanted side-effects (e.g. fewer newbies signing up) then we will go back to the drawing board. Rethink. Adjust. But so far, verification has been working great in the Market / Map / Events sections. Let's hope it will work just as well for the forums.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

From what I've heard, the moderators f**king hate me.

From what I remember from last TPF, we shared quite a few laughs at the Pinside booth with you Mr. Beelzeboob. Please don't cry!

#177 7 years ago

I sent a verification request to someone that I had PM'd with in the past. They denied the request, which is fine because we have never actually met in person. But now that option is unavailable to me because 1 person denied my request?

#178 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I sent a verification request to someone that I had PM'd with in the past. They denied the request, which is fine because we have never actually met in person. But now that option is unavailable to me because 1 person denied my request?

Yes, you currently only get one chance from the system in order to keep people from sending out dozens of random requests. I am planning to allow for 3 shots in a future update.

For now, I have removed your previous verification attempt so you can try again with someone else.

Edit: A trusted source has just vouched for you. I have verified your account!

#179 7 years ago

The first message board script I used in the 90s didn't even have a login, you just typed your name. Then later things moved to creating a login, then needing an email address, then things moved to clicking a link sent to you by email. Obviously all of those steps were in response to the abuse that was happening. Just the way it goes.

#180 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Negative ghost rider... it's to protect against users who seek to disrupt the community through lies and disengenus behavior.

So verified users don't exhibit these behaviors?

#182 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Note that the tag says "Verified Pinsider". It doesn't say "Great Pinsider". Verification is not some magic potion that will suddenly make bad Pinsiders into truthful, patient, friendly or beautiful people. It won't make coffee either.

I don't expect it to. It is there to *help* stop spam and trolling and to make it harder to create a duplicate account. Will it stop all abuse? Probably not. But it's definitely helping so far.

#183 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Note that the tag says "Verified Pinside". It doesn't say "Great Pinsider". Verification is not some magic potion that will suddenly make bad Pinsiders into truthful, patient, friendly or beautiful people. It won't make coffee either.
    I don't expect it to. It is there to *help* stop spam and trolling and to make it harder to create a duplicate account. Will it stop all abuse? Probably not. But it's definitely helping so far.

I so agree with the verification system showing great promise. Kudo's to the staff and yourself for its implementation and success.

#184 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Note that the tag says "Verified Pinsider". It doesn't say "Great Pinsider". Verification is not some magic potion that will suddenly make bad Pinsiders into truthful, patient, friendly or beautiful people. It won't make coffee either.

Robin,

Keep up the great work! One thing for sure in life is you will never keep 100% of the people happy so as long as the majority are happy all you can do is what you think is best.

Over the past month I have had some issues here & your moderators have been great to work with. I messed up trying to do something outside the box and quickly learned it is impossible to make everyone happy. All any of us can do is the best we can.

Thanks again for the great site!

#185 7 years ago

Scott, youre not verified? I didnt realize you werent a real person!

#186 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Note that the tag says "Verified Pinsider". It doesn't say "Great Pinsider".

That was my point.

Quoted from amkoepfer:

Scott, youre not verified? I didnt realize you werent a real person!

realboy (resized).jpegrealboy (resized).jpeg

#187 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Again, horsecrap. There are lots of dissenting opinions from verified users. In fact, some verified users are dinks, and I support their dinkhood here. None of this is to turn Pinside into groupthink central. You can disagree all you want. If you don't like something, you can say it, just like you are doing in this thread.

Dinks? As in Dual Income, No Kids?

#188 7 years ago

I wish the dude pedaling instructor edition college textbooks & answer guides would get "verified".

#189 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

And yet you're doing exactly what he's accusing you of.
    Lots of people coming after volcanodiver in this thread, and he's the one getting moderated? How is volcanodiver a broken record, but flynnibus and DaveH aren't?
    Oh, right: because volcanodiver disagrees with the rules here, and the other guys are in total agreement with all things Pinside.
    If that ain't some cliquey BS then what is?

Boy do I ever strongly agree with this post.

I see absolutely zero reason for volcano diver being ejected from this thread. He did not violate a single Pinside rule. "Broken Record?" Is there some new Pinside rule I'm not aware of?

He was having a *discussion* and he was giving his arguments. I didn't even agree with a lot of what he said but I certainly didn't see a single thing wrong with how he said it.

#190 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Boy do I ever strongly agree with this post.
    I see absolutely zero reason for volcano diver being ejected from this thread. He did not violate a single Pinside rule. "Broken Record?" Is there some new Pinside rule I'm not aware of?
    He was having a *discussion* and he was giving his arguments. I didn't even agree with a lot of what he said but I certainly didn't see a single thing wrong with how he said it.

Click on the moderator symbol on one of the posts and you will see "Broken record" as a possible selection for reporting posts. It has been there for probably close to a year.

#191 7 years ago

far out, if 'Broken record' is a moderatorable offense, then many threads should be half as long

#192 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

The purple circle know that taking the path of least resistance by consistently siding with those in positions of authority and repeatedly poking at any individual who expresses an alternate viewpoint will inevitably lead to moderator intervention in their favour every time no matter how spurious the reasoning behind the intervention.

As you pointed out it will unfortunately also lead to a gradual sterility to what is one of the major pinball forums with a diversity of membership base and viewpoints.

There is always going to be an established dominant ingroup no matter which forum you join, the key being that it must be kept from overwhelming any thread which necessitates civilised discourse and certainly not publicly validated by way of unilateral thread banning for what was in essence nothing more than a dissenting opinion.

#193 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

No and I never said they didn't. The method is a tool to help filter out those who try to do that with duplicate or throwaway accounts. It does not mean anyone who is unverified is doing that, or anyone who completes the task is not. It's a tool to combat the problem that it's easy to do so. Now it's harder - that's it.

#194 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

far out, if 'Broken record' is a moderatorable offense, then many threads should be half as long

"Broken Record" is one of the worst aspects of pinside. I wish threads were half as long.

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It does not mean anyone who is unverified is doing that, or anyone who completes the task is not. It's a tool to combat the problem that it's easy to do so.

So, no one that is unverified is exhibiting this behavior that you abhor, but verifying people combats this "problem." I am not sure that I follow your logic.

#196 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

So, no one that is unverified is exhibiting this behavior that you abhor, but verifying people combats this "problem." I am not sure that I follow your logic.

What kind of logic is this? Because I said it doesn't mean EVERY user.. or a particular user.. you come back with it means NO one? You're just being argumentative now vs actually making any sort of sense.

It's a tool to help prevent abusive behavior through the creation of fake/duplicate/throwaway accounts. If an account doesn't want to verify, they loose some privileges to participate in parts of the site. It's not difficult to grasp.

#197 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's a tool to help prevent abusive behavior through the creation of fake/duplicate/throwaway accounts. If an account doesn't want to verify, they loose some privileges to participate in parts of the site.

I think I understand the restrictions on not verifying. You seem to have difficulties comprehending what you yourself have written.

#198 7 years ago

Well I hit this yesterday and can no longer post.
    I don't use paypal, don't choose to donate, don't know anyone here and have had no response to my mod request.
    Guess I just leave then?

#199 7 years ago
    Quoted from Metalzoic:

Well I hit this yesterday and can no longer post.
    I don't use paypal, don't choose to donate, don't know anyone here and have had no response to my mod request.
    Guess I just leave then?

Two moderators responded to your thread yesterday. We were waiting on a response from you.

Also, there was a bug discovered this afternoon which may have affected you, but it was fixed shortly thereafter.

#200 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Two moderators responded to your thread yesterday. We were waiting on a response from you.
    Also, there was a bug discovered this afternoon which may have affected you, but it was fixed shortly thereafter.

Oh, my mistake then. I thought I would receive a PM or notification of something. Didn't know it was a view-able forum post.

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-account-verification/page/4?hl=woodchuck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.