Topic Stats

• 274 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nikonokin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3 11 2017 (resized).PNG
    SafariScreenSnapz095 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 9.34.26 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20161002-202733 (resized).png
    realboy (resized).jpeg
    TooManyPinsNonsense (resized).png
    tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o2_500 (resized).png
    0845a7dac43cb43a866f53984430c9bd (resized).jpg
    high-five-borat (resized).jpg
    98f (resized).png
    IMG_2253 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1455 (resized).JPG
    images (8) (resized).jpg
    Robin-Martijn-paddling-LA_swamps_w_alligators-Mar2016 (resized).jpg
    legitness (resized).jpg
    pinside - confirm user (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 7 years ago

Why do some posts with zero upvotes or downvotes show a yellow bumper icon, and others show a grey bumper icon? I'm not talking net score, both of these have not a single downvote or upvote.

#52 7 years ago

I think its a good idea, you are not going to keep all of them out, but this should weed out a number of them...

#53 7 years ago

sad reality, but a good move.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Why do some posts with zero upvotes or downvotes show a yellow bumper icon, and others show a grey bumper icon? I'm not talking net score, both of these have not a single downvote or upvote.

I just noticed this too and was going to ask the very same question

#55 7 years ago

Good idea!

#56 7 years ago

Quoted from j_m_:

I just noticed this too and was going to ask the very same question

Sounds like Robin just fixed it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-forum-quality-update#post-3440214

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

We are trying to find a sweet sport between usability and security. So new users can keep making topics in sub forums that are relevant to them (like tech), but not in the ones they shouldn't be too interested in at that point (like manufacturers).

How does being new equate in any way to not having an interest in the manufacturers? New here and new to pins are are not the same thing. Also new to pins in general does not mean someone can't be interesting in the companies that make the games.

#58 7 years ago

Some of the biggest ashholes and trolls on Pinside over the past 4 yrs or so, many of which have been booted from Pinside, or at least given temp bans or thread ejects, have posted some of the most mean spirited comments in various Manufacturers related threads. So, perhaps Robin and Martijn are trying to cut down on some of this shlitstorm stuff by limiting access to the Manuf threads.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

How does being new equate in any way to not having an interest in the manufacturers? New here and new to pins are are not the same thing. Also new to pins in general does not mean someone can't be interesting in the companies that make the games.

Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Some of the biggest ashholes and trolls on Pinside over the past 4 yrs or so, many of which have been booted from Pinside, or at least given temp bans or thread ejects, have posted some of the most mean spirited comments in various Manufacturers related threads. So, perhaps Robin and Martijn are trying to cut down on some of this shlitstorm stuff by limiting access to the Manuf threads.

Pretty much. Most of the trolls seem to land in and stir up trouble in the manufacturer threads. Most legitimate new users don't seem to post in there much. If a new user does want to post there, account verification isn't a huge hurdle to overcome, but should curb some of the spamming and trolling coming from newly created throwaway accounts.

#60 7 years ago

I'm guessing as well if someone verifies a new user, that is recorded somewhere? So there isn't a current Pinside user who is verifying troll accounts just to cause trouble by proxy.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

I am not a robot!

That is EXACTLY what a robot would say!

#62 7 years ago

Well you mods know Im real. You yell at me enough.

#63 7 years ago

It's not a question of interest or not.. but a matter of which areas are most lucrative for abuse. Again.. balancing act.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

I am not a robot!

IMG_1455 (resized).JPGIMG_1455 (resized).JPG

#65 7 years ago

Curious, what is the percentage of members verified so far?

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Sorry

IMG_2253 (resized).JPGIMG_2253 (resized).JPG

#67 7 years ago

Good idea and the work required to get verified is very simple.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not a question of interest or not.. but a matter of which areas are most lucrative for abuse. Again.. balancing act.

It was Robins own words "but not in the ones they shouldn't be too interested in at that point (like manufacturers)"

#69 7 years ago

Just make a donation.Thank you for all support from this forum.It's great.

#70 7 years ago

Hey all, today I enabled the first limitations for non-verified members.

From now on, creating events in our calendar and listing marketplace ads requires a verified Pinside account.

And about time too! The mod team and I have been deleting loads of scammer ads and events spam lately, which I hope to put a stop to with this new requirement.

Of course account verification is also a barrier of entry for new Pinside members wanting to place marketplace ads or advertise their events, and that's kind of a bummer. But I think the pros outweigh the cons. Plus, verification is quick and easy so there's really no reason not to do it.

...Coming up next (next week), I will enable the verification requirement for posting to certain sub-forums (most notably, the manufacturers sub-forums). Please make sure your account has the checkbox icon if you wish to keep posting in those sub-forums. Thanks!

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pretty much. Most of the trolls seem to land in and stir up trouble in the manufacturer threads. Most legitimate new users don't seem to post in there much. If a new user does want to post there, account verification isn't a huge hurdle to overcome, but should curb some of the spamming and trolling coming from newly created throwaway accounts.

That's what I meant. A lot of users new to Pinside discover the site through Googling a pinball related tech question, hence their initial interest in the tech forums. Later on they discover that Pinside has much more to offer after which verification should be less of a hurdle to them.

Quoted from frolic:

I'm guessing as well if someone verifies a new user, that is recorded somewhere? So there isn't a current Pinside user who is verifying troll accounts just to cause trouble by proxy.

Correct, this information is only accessible to Pinside staff and will only be visited if necessary.

Quoted from gtxjoe:

Somewhere around 20% of our active users (users that have logged in at least once during the last year) have been verified by now.

#72 7 years ago

I'd like to see the ability to optionally garner some major cred by being able to enter your real name and uploading a head shot.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I'd like to see the ability to optionally garner some major cred by being able to enter your real name and uploading a head shot.

what's stopping you?

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

what's stopping you?

Nothing, except a standard place to put them that others know where to look.

And I think it would deserve a double check mark.

Dan Q is my name, anyway. Mr. Punk, is it?

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

what can we get for our police records?

#76 7 years ago

An ad showed up a couple days ago by a new user selling a machine and it was determined it was a fraud and deleted after a while. It did not show he had donated, so the question is how did he get verified?

3 weeks later
    #77 7 years ago

Please verify. No Paypal (not going to give), and the references form does not work. Thanks!

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from mostpinball:

Please verify. No Paypal (not going to give), and the references form does not work. Thanks!

If this is the twinned EM master I think it is... I could vouch for them Pony power!

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from mostpinball:

You don't need to donate to verify with PayPal.

#80 7 years ago

You do need a paypal account to verify with paypal I presume.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from mostpinball:

Open a moderator feedback thread, and include your full name, valid email address and a phone number.

Pinside Staff will not share your personal information with anyone other than Pinside Staff.

Someone on the staff will validate your information and then you'll be verified.

Please see this link to get an overview of all the ways to get verified.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-account-verification

Thanks.

Marcus

#82 7 years ago

The donation link will not accept a prepaid Visa gift card. Can this be changed?

#83 7 years ago

I'm curious to know about what % of total Pinside accounts have now been verified?

And also what % of active Pinside accounts have been verified, (say those that have logged in in the past year or 2)?

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

The donation link will not accept a prepaid Visa gift card. Can this be changed?

Other sites that have problems with the pre-paid Visa cards sometimes turned out to be the fraud prevention rejecting the card because it hadn't been linked to the user's shipping address. This was often corrected by the user calling the phone number on the card and having the correct address linked.

1 month later
    #85 7 years ago

Starting today, only verified Pinsiders will be able to post to the Manufacturers and the Market sub-forums. We're taking this step to protect the integrity of information on this forum:

Quoted from robin:

Pinside is a tight-knit community and an important aspect of such a community is trust. Recent events, often caused by throwaway/fake accounts, have threatened the integrity of our site. Today we're announcing Pinside account verification, our answer to a growing number of incidents involving spammers or fake accounts.
    For starters, spammers. In recent months we have been fighting an ongoing battle with tenacious spammers who (after finding out that their forum spam postings were being removed incredibly quick by our amazing moderator team) came up with new ways to spread their useless junk; They started targeting locations in our pinball map and even creating pinball events to try and spread their annoying messages.
    Secondly, we want to put a stop to fake account creation and the spreading of (mis)information from anonymous sources without anyone to hold accountable for it. We also want to make sure that people take our rules seriously and by making it harder to create a second (verified) account we hope to curb this.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Starting today, only verified Pinsiders will be able to post to the Manufacturers and the Market sub-forums. We're taking this step to protect the integrity of information on this forum:

and to kill it off.

#87 7 years ago

and to kill it off.

98f (resized).png98f (resized).png

#88 7 years ago

and to kill it off.

You don't want to be verified. You also have about as many thumbs down as thumbs up.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/volcanodiver/forum

#89 7 years ago

He's a Stern shill, of course he doesn't want to be verified. He's pissed that he now can't argue with people who have legitimate quality issues.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

high-five-borat (resized).jpghigh-five-borat (resized).jpg

#91 7 years ago

Can you see who verified you? Just noticed that I was, and curious if the person who verified me knows I am a real person and not a bot.

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Can you see who verified you? Just noticed that I was, and curious if the person who verified me knows I am a real person and not a bot.

A generous bot. You were verified because you have made a donation to Pinside in the past.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

You don't want to be verified. You also have about as many thumbs down as thumbs up.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/volcanodiver/forum

Just the way I like it. I'm not here to be everyones friend. I post it how I see it, I expect people to disagree on a discussion forum. awesome 8 more downs just form the previous post alone.

#94 7 years ago

Just the way I like it. I'm not here to be everyones friend.

Well...at least you do something well.

#95 7 years ago

I'm just a Beelzeboob alt account

#96 7 years ago

Looks like the verification system is already successful.

#97 7 years ago

He's a Stern shill, of course he doesn't want to be verified. He's pissed that he now can't argue with people who have legitimate quality issues.

Wait, I'm a stern shill, holy shit LOL. I hate the crap stern puts out, at least until the last few releases that have actually had drawn art as opposed to media department approved assets strewn on the PF.

#98 7 years ago

Just a suggestion. This thread should be pinned or the info updated in the FAQ. I don't post a lot (although I do lurk real well) and I started looking at earning my check mark and it took scrolling all the way to the bottom of a locked thread before I found the link to the PayPal verification.

It was, as advertised, quick, simple and painless once I found it.

Ken

#99 7 years ago

Wait, I'm a stern shill, holy shit LOL. I hate the crap stern puts out, at least until the last few releases that have actually had drawn art as opposed to media department approved assets strewn on the PF.

yet more dancing to try to distract away from the root problem. You know how to get verified..

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

yet more dancing to try to distract away from the root problem. You know how to get verified..

What root problem? I've never said I don't know how. Knowing how and any desire to do so are vastly different things. There's no reason to. I'be been here more than long enough to have seen this place change, and its not for the better.

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-account-verification/page/2?hl=flato and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.