Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture+_2018-08-02-10-53-27 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.34.18 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.34.33 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.29.12 PM (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-07-09-18-48-13 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-07-09-18-43-12 (resized).png
    da70a1295894682e0c737a1141f6aba2cb0f3c39 (resized).png
    Capture+_2018-07-09-18-46-00 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-07-07-11-08-21 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.png

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

There is an issue with the top 100. When I click on it, NGG isn't #1. ?

Most likely because of the mess of rules it has and no real payoff for doing well on holes.

#152 5 years ago

When I enter a thread to view it, and click the back button on my browser...I end up back at the top of the Forum page, not at the point I entered the thread. It never did that before. Kind of time consuming having to scroll all they way through the entire forum to get back to where I was.

#153 5 years ago

robin I think I found a bug. I was creating a new thread with a poll and ran into this error message. I’m on an iPad air2. iOS 11.4? Safari browser.

So I then created the thread without a poll, and added a poll after the fact, without issue.
    941E4F30-B1D9-49EC-BC5F-EB9EEFC8F9E5 (resized).png941E4F30-B1D9-49EC-BC5F-EB9EEFC8F9E5 (resized).png

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

I'm having a problem starting a new thread in Safari on my iMac. Keep getting an error when I go to preview it.

I encountered the same issue when attempting to preview before creating a new thread. The thread then would not be created and I had to copy, refresh the page, paste, then create without previewing.

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I like the Pulitzer category but prefer it count words in all posts within past 7 days instead of only counting words in the first post of each thread. Might be easy to do and probably simpler than current queries.

Well, the idea is to highlight threads with looooong opening posts

Quoted from flynnibus:

I really wish all of this... [image] Were part of collapsed panes that are not shown by default or under tool icons. There is just SO MUCH dead space you must scroll through to get to the actual content.
    I love the idea of stats, the gallery, etc... but I don't need it on every page, on every load, taking up 1.5x screens worth of space just to read the actual meat of the thread.
    Same thing at the bottom of the page... the actual place you put text is only like 15% of the page...

I hear you and do have some plans and ideas to improve this as I will be working on mobile optimization soon.

Quoted from flynnibus:

robin chrome on iOS is not happy with the header area on the new site.
    See on initial page load the white space left... and when scrolling the header often gets left in a bad spot... scrolling tends to get it back to the top... but it comes off again.. Edit: chrome on iPad 2 air

I have been trying to replicate this issue on an iPad Air (1) with Chrome - but it's not happening here. Could it be a browser extension/add-on that's messing something up?

Quoted from Aurich:

Woot! Looking much better, thank you sir.

Thank you for pointing it out and for being elaborate - it really helps and is way more inspiring than just "this or that new look sucks"

Quoted from ajfclark:

Clicking more gives:

Quoted post should finish with the line:
    High Speed. Had some good plastics and play field wiring was intact.
    Using:
    Google Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Revision dc3469be277cc962ba01d9c0cb5bb1a265676c36-refs/branch-heads/3325@{#725}
    OS Linux

Is this a Linux-specific error, or has this issue been seen in other browsers as well?

How this blockquote thing works: on page load, all blockquote heights are first measured and stored and then they're limited to a maximum height (currently 4 lines of text). All blockquotes that are longer will get a 'more' link inserted. When clicking that 'more' link, the blockquote height will be restored to its original dimensions (and the more link removed).

Quoted from jwilson:

Still seeing some caching issues.
    You know what they say, the two hardest problems in programming - cache invalidation and naming things!

Absolutely!

Nope, that's actually just someone who found out about Unicode support.

Quoted from pincity:

Haven’t been able to pick up on any pattern of when this occurs, but a few times I’ve gotten a generic white page with just the text of “Could not generate unique token after 10 tries.”
    Usually refreshing a few times resolves it. Anyone else seen this?

I've seen it too. Not sure why it does that yet. I think it only happens when you're not logged in, right?

Quoted from swinks:

Possible Bug - I tried to add Iron Maiden to the Stern History thread and it just closes and hides the linked game altogether.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-game-release-history

Yes, definitely a bug there. Should be fixed now.

Quoted from CoreyStup:

Timestamps shown in PINSIDEMAIL summary screen are not being converted to your personal profile's timezone when its within the same day.
    Suggestion, maybe it should just show relative times "X minutes ago"/"X hours ago" just like forum posts do, instead of absolute timestamps. It already does when over 24 hours ("XX days ago"). Showing relative times in minutes/hours would be consistent.

Oops, I forgot to localize that date.

Quoted from gliebig:

I have been noticing that after I go into a thread, when I hit the back button, all the green boxes that tell me about unread posts in other threads are gone.

I have been working on this (caching / statekeeper) issue for two days. I came up with a pretty unique method to tackle this issue by storing the active page state in the browsers session storage. Fingers crossed this works on all the gazillion platform/browser combinations out there!

Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

When I enter a thread to view it, and click the back button on my browser...I end up back at the top of the Forum page, not at the point I entered the thread. It never did that before. Kind of time consuming having to scroll all they way through the entire forum to get back to where I was.

See previous.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I encountered the same issue when attempting to preview before creating a new thread. The thread then would not be created and I had to copy, refresh the page, paste, then create without previewing.

Very weird. Did you perhaps take a long time to create your topic? Like more than 30 minutes between loading that "create new topic" page and hitting the preview button?

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Very weird. Did you perhaps take a long time to create your topic? Like more than 30 minutes between loading that "create new topic" page and hitting the preview button?

Possibly, I'm not sure.

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Not for me.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Is this a Linux-specific error, or has this issue been seen in other browsers as well?

How this blockquote thing works: on page load, all blockquote heights are first measured and stored and then they're limited to a maximum height (currently 4 lines of text). All blockquotes that are longer will get a 'more' link inserted. When clicking that 'more' link, the blockquote height will be restored to its original dimensions (and the more link removed).

TBH I have only seen it once, on that one post (this is the post BTW: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-horror-pics/page/28#post-4433242 ). All the rest load fine.

Here's that post on a variety of systems...

Chrome (Android N or O):
    Screenshot_20180612-090217 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180612-090217 (resized).png

Firefox (52.8.1 64-bit linux):
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Edge (Windows 10):
    Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

Chrome (Windows 10):
    Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

So it seems to be something across platforms with that specific post, all the rest seem to work fine, but they do get variable borders around the bottom.

eg. from you post:

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Counter-example - it worked fine for me... I've been meaning to create a thread about TransferWise, so after reading this I decided to try to replicate it when creating thread. I spent about 15 minutes typing the message - purposely spending a lot of time despite not really generating much message (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-use-transferwise-can-you-share-feedback#post-4444744) and then did a preview before posting. Thread created fine without an error. MacOs 10.14 using Safari 11.1.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#160 5 years ago

Yes, yes, I know this just sounds like I want my achievement points, like a whiny kid, haha, but when that new achievement "part of the furniture" dropped, I'm pretty sure the points were not consistently added to totals across the user base.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

More
    Not for me.

I have identified the issue and working on a fix as we speak.

Quoted from ajfclark:

More
    TBH I have only seen it once, on that one post (this is the post BTW: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-horror-pics/page/28#post-4433242 ). All the rest load fine.
    Here's that post on a variety of systems...
    Chrome (Android N or O):

Firefox (52.8.1 64-bit linux):

Edge (Windows 10):

Chrome (Windows 10):

So it seems to be something across platforms with that specific post, all the rest seem to work fine, but they do get variable borders around the bottom.
    eg. from you post:

Thanks for your help! I managed to fix this issue thanks to the screenshots+link and will push out an update shortly.

Quoted from rkahr:

More
    Counter-example - it worked fine for me... I've been meaning to create a thread about TransferWise, so after reading this I decided to try to replicate it when creating thread. I spent about 15 minutes typing the message - purposely spending a lot of time despite not really generating much message (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-use-transferwise-can-you-share-feedback#post-4444744) and then did a preview before posting. Thread created fine without an error. MacOs 10.14 using Safari 11.1.
    -Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

The time this would fail would be approximately 20 minutes after opening the post. And only if not active on Pinside in another browser window.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, yes, I know this just sounds like I want my achievement points, like a whiny kid, haha, but when that new achievement "part of the furniture" dropped, I'm pretty sure the points were not consistently added to totals across the user base.

Haha, more achievements coming soon! I will look into the issue with the “part if the furniture” one.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for your help! I managed to fix this issue thanks to the screenshots+link and will push out an update shortly.

Awesome. Somewhat ironically, your reply exhibits the same behaviour.

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

lol, I noticed that as well!

Quoted from robin:

will push out an update shortly

This is going to be a bit later, probably tomorrow.

#164 5 years ago

Anyone know if it’s possible to post an animated gif from an iPhone? They always show up as static images when I try.

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Anyone know if it’s possible to post an animated gif from an iPhone? They always show up as static images when I try.

Is there still the choice of size for images? "Actual size no scaling?"

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh, I’ve never noticed. That might be my problem.

1C6D0CB2-6773-4282-A848-8972B6D97188.gif1C6D0CB2-6773-4282-A848-8972B6D97188.gif
    #167 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Thanks!

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I have identified the issue and working on a fix as we speak.

Quoted from ajfclark:

I just pushed out an update which fixes both issues (and some other small bugs as well).

I also just launched a new frontpage format called 'grid view'. Check out the announcement here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-pinside-forum-grid-view

#169 5 years ago

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes....

How about opening a new tab in your browser if you click on an external link anywhere in a thread?

Loving the new grid view BTW!

#170 5 years ago

im all of sudden getting market posts in my feed even though i have market subforum filtered? easy to spot cause of the price tag icons

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

im all of sudden getting market posts in my feed even though i have market subforum filtered? easy to spot cause of the price tag icons

Same here. All of the forums that I have "turned off" (not desired to view) are all showing up with billions of posts. Looks like a clusterfuck. It's as though I never turned any of them off. Information overload!

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Quoted from KenLayton:

Same here. All of the forums that I have "turned off" (not desired to view) are all showing up with billions of posts. Looks like a clusterfuck. It's as though I never turned any of them off. Information overload!

Yup, I screwed up. Made a typo somewhere that affected hiding of deselected topics.

Sorry about that. Should be fixed now!

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from toeskneez:

How about opening a new tab in your browser if you click on an external link anywhere in a thread?

Good call. This used to be the case before the big update two weeks ago. I have implemented it again.

#174 5 years ago

Placed a new thread this morning, after it was created I edit the add to include game title but even after refresh, the orig title still shows up?
    Just on my S8?
    20180615_091853 (resized).jpg20180615_091853 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180615-091926_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180615-091926_Chrome (resized).jpg

Just checked it on my PC Google browser, still only shows original title.

#175 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Placed a new thread this morning, after it was created I edit the add to include game title but even after refresh, the orig title still shows up?

This has always been that way: market forum topics could not be renamed after they have been created.

The good news is that after our forum update earlier this month, this is now technically possible. I only need to code it. Coming very soon!

Edit: I renamed your topic manually, for the time being.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

has always been that way:

Ah, gotcha

Quoted from robin:

I renamed your topic manually

Many thanks

#177 5 years ago

I like the new features and look, but since the update, I’ve had a problem with posts un-draining. After draining a post, if I leave the topic and come back, the posts I drained are back. If I click the drain button again, the “outlane save” message comes up. I’m using current iOS. Any ideas? Thanks

#178 5 years ago

I'm unable to quote from highlighted text. Still using the original view. Firefox 60.0.2 Tracking protection on, no special permissions, no change from how I viewed before the update.

#179 5 years ago

A couple problems here since the update:

1) I can't see embedded YT videos.
    2) I can't upvote or downvote posts.

Chrome on Windows.

Anyone else?

#180 5 years ago

I can't attach images to posts in long threads anymore.

eg. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only/page/47 I can't attach images, nothing shows up:

eg. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only/page/4 works fine (and this thread).

[edit: Hmmm.... then page 48 works too... 45, 46, and 47 don't though... ]

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I've seen it too. Not sure why it does that yet. I think it only happens when you're not logged in, right?

Now that you mention it, I believe so, yes. Though over the past week, I haven’t seen any of these errors. I’ll report back here if I encounter them again.

Thanks!

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bellagio:

I like the new features and look, but since the update, I’ve had a problem with posts un-draining. After draining a post, if I leave the topic and come back, the posts I drained are back. If I click the drain button again, the “outlane save” message comes up. I’m using current iOS. Any ideas? Thanks

Thanks, this has now been fixed.

Posts were draining correctly, but the view did not reflect this (did not actually hide them).

Quoted from VacFink:

I'm unable to quote from highlighted text. Still using the original view. Firefox 60.0.2 Tracking protection on, no special permissions, no change from how I viewed before the update.

Quoted from stevevt:

A couple problems here since the update:
    1) I can't see embedded YT videos.
    2) I can't upvote or downvote posts.
    Chrome on Windows.
    Anyone else?

Quoted from ajfclark:

I can't attach images to posts in long threads anymore.
    eg. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only/page/47 I can't attach images, nothing shows up:

eg. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only/page/4 works fine (and this thread).

[edit: Hmmm.... then page 48 works too... 45, 46, and 47 don't though... ]

I believe this was all caused by one issue, which I just fixed. Please confirm. Thanks for reporting!

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Posts were draining correctly, but the view did not reflect this (did not actually hide them).

I believe this was all caused by one issue, which I just fixed. Please confirm. Thanks for reporting!

Both of my problems (up/downvoting and embedded YT videos) are now resolved. Thanks!

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

these embedded videos I just get a black square.

Hmmm, they work on my S8 chrome browser

#186 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Yep, they stay drained now, thanks!

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I believe this was all caused by one issue, which I just fixed. Please confirm. Thanks for reporting

Seems to work now. Thanks!

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Looks good here.

#189 5 years ago

If I scroll the pinside home page (on Chrome/Windows) I see ginormous flags next to each event - is this right?

#190 5 years ago

The little flag next to Pinsiders names has recently changed with this update.

I can't tell what the flags are anymore. Canadian pinsiders look like they have a Japanese flag and UK/US pinsiders seem to have the same flag logo of just blue.

Just an FYI
    Untitled.pngUntitled.png

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The little flag next to Pinsiders names has recently changed with this update.
    I can't tell what the flags are anymore. Canadian pinsiders look like they have a Japanese flag and UK/US pinsiders seem to have the same flag logo of just blue.
    Just an FYI

It appears all fixed now.

#192 5 years ago

Hi robin
    (I did not read all the (so far 191) posts) --- I was used to "I post a JPG - and a second JPG and a third JPG in one post --- and they were shown in that order". In the new pinside I sometimes see after posting: 1-3-2 or 3-1-2 or 2-1-3 (order) Greetings Rolf

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

It appears all fixed now.

It now seems that the flag/country icon bug is acting up again.
    Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Totals still don't look to have updated correctly.

#195 5 years ago

I know this is nit-picky, and I really appreciate all the work that goes into this site, but a minor change in they way quotes are hidden could be helpful. Increase the number of lines threshhold by one where the fade/more line is inserted, but don't change the way it's displayed. This will avoid the case where expanding the "more" results in replacing "more" with the single hidden line. I hope my description is clear, but see post #191 above for an example.

#196 5 years ago

Hi @robin. Sorry, I think I found another bug in the blockquote code.

My post here doesn't display an expand option and truncates the quote: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-club-members-only/page/48#post-4473514

#197 5 years ago

robin I found a bug for you. In any topic, clicking on a pinsiders avatar to now click on the top left image to see their "portfolio" , scroll down to archived ads and click. Brings up an error every time.
    -Mike

Screenshot_2018-07-07-11-08-21 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-07-07-11-08-21 (resized).png
    #198 5 years ago
    Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi robin
    (I did not read all the (so far 191) posts) --- I was used to "I post a JPG - and a second JPG and a third JPG in one post --- and they were shown in that order". In the new pinside I sometimes see after posting: 1-3-2 or 3-1-2 or 2-1-3 (order) Greetings Rolf

Photos are now sorted in order of their filename (which makes a lot more sense than just a random order).

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

It now seems that the flag/country icon bug is acting up again.

Which browser and OS is that on? The flags have been changed to SVG images so they appear sharp on all devices (and load faster too!)

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Totals still don't look to have updated correctly.

Sorry, achievements update is still a Work in Progress.

Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Robin I found a bug for you. In any topic, clicking on a pinsiders avatar to now click on the top left image to see their "portfolio" , scroll down to archived ads and click. Brings up an error every time.
    -Mike

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following the step of visiting someone's profile and then scrolling down to "archived ads". Your screenshot is a forum topic. Can you please clarify?

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Which browser and OS is that on? The flags have been changed to SVG images so they appear sharp on all devices (and load faster too!)

Edit: just noticed on my PC running Mozilla Firefox that it's fine. Same with my android device running Mozilla Firefox. All good now!

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Photos are now sorted in order of their filename (which makes a lot more sense than just a random order).

omg thank you. No more uploading one. image. at. a. time. to force a sense of order.

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-2018-update-new-logo-/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.