(Topic ID: 14914)

Pinscore vs. X-Pin vs. Rottendog LED displays?????

By penguinchicken

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dr-Willy
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190615_143100_resized (resized).jpg
DSCN4799.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 4 years ago

A few other considerations, depending on what you're looking for.

For Classic Ball/Stern I have two models of DIY Kits with custom digits:
https://www.pinitech.com/products/cat_displays.php

Also, I think Starship Fantasy is still offering 20% discount, free ship on remaining inventory of XPIN displays here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xpin#post-4763500

Solid pricing on Rottendog products here:
http://www.arcadeshop.com/d/34/pinball-displays.htm

General differences or things to look for in LED displays:

• Aesthetics- digit style (ie. height, angle), digit spacing, led color. Some LED displays do not line up well with backglass window or the digits are noticeably at a straighter angle. Some displays use generic digits with decimal, some use custom digits that replicate the original look better. Is there a comma? Light blocks? Do want displays that come close to matching the plasma look?
  • Functionality- can you control brightness and does that matter to you? You may not care, but if you get the displays and they're too bright, your only option will be window tint film / grey filters to tone them down some. If they're not bright enough, you can't do much about that. Are there other features the display offers?
  • Energy Consumption- This is what can't be seen. The XPIN, Pinscore are going to be decent on energy consumption. I can also guarantee the Pinitech Bally/Stern displays I'm selling are low-energy use. There are some brands that say they're low-power, but really aren't. Some add close to 1 AMP additional load to 5v regulators. Unfortunately this is not something most people will know or test for -- and it's also something I can't really say much else about since I'm selling my own LED displays. I keep hoping someone will put a bunch of brands to the test and post the results!!
  • Price- If you're wanting the lowest price, then a DIY Kit is a good option. Otherwise, there's some brands that are known to be the lower priced ASSEMBLED displays like Rottendog. You then have to take a look at what you're giving up in features, aesthetics (see above bullet points) and decide if price matters more than those extras.
  • Support- Support and/or warranty. Most businesses are going to support their products/customers, but as someone noted sometimes support can be lacking depending where you purchase or a distributor/manufacturer is just swamped due to volume. A forum search should help turn up some info on various brands/distributors to see what their reputation is.

Maybe more people can post their experiences with various models/brands of displays on this thread and leave some feedback about pros/cons of each. It'd be helpful to the community I think.

I've personally used Rottendog displays in Sys11 games and have been pleased with price/performance. It may just be my eyes playing tricks, but the commas seem a bit brighter than the digit segments? I've also got Pinscore Sys11 displays in a few games too. As far as Sys11 displays go both brands are decent. Not sure on longevity, energy consumption, etc -- but for the price Arcade Shop sells them for, the Rottendog Sys11 displays are definitely appealing. I honestly don't know how they can be offered at that price assembled.

Hope that helps! Lots of great options for displays than there were 5 years ago.. esp for DIY Kits. And that's a really good thing.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I just wish the Gottlieb 80B LED displays were not $300 a pop. It's hard to justify that kind of expense on a game that is only worth $1000-$1200.

Boston Pinball had been the only one offering Gottlieb LED displays (Sys80, Sys80A) for a long while. The Sys80B displays are the newest of the bunch and they're again the first to offer. Believe they were the first offering Data East 128x16 LED displays. I definitely have respect for them innovating like that.

I think the pricing is reasonable considering design, tooling of custom digits for Gottlieb displays, material costs, assembly costs (or 2-3+ hours if hand-assembled) and business overhead. The $300 can easily turn into 1/3 of that in terms of net profits after material costs, PP fees, business overhead, taxes. Plus there's time of assembly (2-3+ hours if hand-assembled) to consider -- or additional hit to net profits if assembly is outsourced. Along with supporting customers. Just offering the other side of the coin. I think it's amazing some of these products are offered at the pricing they are -- or even offered period. Lower volume niche products have higher costs all-around than the mass-produced stuff.

That said, yeah.. for some games, it's probably hard to justify. But at least the option is there!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Time Machine; one has factory plasma, the other Rottendog LED. Looks pretty much the same to me in this picture.[quoted image]

Most LED displays will look a bit different than plasma if you look closely at everything. If you want led displays to exactly match a plasma, it's not going to happen 100% b/c plasmas have this aura/glow you can't entirely mimic. That said, you can get pretty darn close to having LED look like plasma, as I have found

As far as Sys11/DE displays, I think the Pinscore / XPIN are a closer match to the plasma look & certainly being able to dial the brightness up/down helps with that.

Digits are noticeably taller on the Rottendog displays. Not sure why they designed them like that, maybe for something different. The orange led color is a bit darker too. And on the style of display you had (alpha led blocks on top, numeric on the bottom) the alpha characters are shorter than the numeric digits, which may stand out a bit. Still though, can't beat the price on them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinscore-vs-x-pin-vs-rottendog-led-displays?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.