(Topic ID: 234946)

PinScore or Rottendog for a Secret Service?

By Rolpa

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JodyG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190129_155340 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190129_155309 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

You'll probably appreciate the brightness adjustment on the Pinscore or XPIN. And for a $50 or so difference, even if you turn it up to full brightness and leave it there at least you have the option to adjust it down. That said, if you just want to get the job done and like the overall look of the digits, then Rottendog is the cheaper way out. I'm not sure from a support standpoint how they all are, I'd imagine if any major issues occurred under warranty all three manufacturers would work with you to resolve them. My experience with Marco/Pinscore and Brett/Xpin have been good in the past.

The one major disadvantage of Pinscore/XPIN is it's all surface mount parts on the circuits, whereas Rottendog's are through-hole designs. Quality-wise, I've had some issues with even the best of manufacturers boards.. smd parts with cracked solder joints, some incompatibilities even though a board was listed as working with a machine, boards not fitting the mounting hardware in a machine and having to cook something else up there. I guess I'm in the camp of, there's no one perfect manufacturer for everything, it's per product and you just have to check out some reviews of other people that have bought the product or ask for some feedback like you've done here

#5 5 years ago

Something I've never been a major fan of is the adhesive light block on most Rottendog displays. I've experienced having to install that on one display.. and it was going down at the wrong angle, so I had to take it back up. And you only get one shot installing it. Never looks the same if you have to take part of it back up. Got to roll back just a small bit of it and line it up how you want it, then peel the rest back and apply/smooth it out. Don't want bubbles either.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and my brother got a micro-machines airport kit for Xmas.. and went to install the decal, and it wasn't lined up perfect and he got super upset. I ended up getting an additional Christmas gift that year lol. I could have cared less about a decal then. On displays I'd care a bit more.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinscore-or-rottendog-for-a-secret-service?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.