(Topic ID: 98044)

Pinscore displays in a Wms sys 7 - Important info (for the purist)

By svendmute

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Schwaggs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bk_head.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    securedownload6.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I bought a pinscore display set for my williams Black Knight. No problems installing and they are running fine.
    That is until I saw videos on you tube showing the original gas display tubes. As it turns out Pinscore made the design decision to omit the small "tails" on number 6 and number 9.
    I contacted pinscore through marco specialities and they confirmed that it was a concious decision to leave out the "tails". The product is still of good quality but purist may still be warned that this minor detail is different from the original gas display tubes.
    Just wanted to let you all know.

securedownload.jpg securedownload6.jpg
    #2 5 years ago

bk_head.jpg

How odd.

I wonder why how the hell they messed that up???

Someone wasn't watching their b's and q's......

#3 5 years ago

Yeah I know.
    In their reply thay mentioned that "most" displays didn't use "the tails". Maybe they found a common display decoder chip that was compatible with most of they displays so that they could use it on all they boards, nomatter if its a Bally / Williams system 3-11 etc.?

#4 5 years ago

Thank you. This is a deal breaker for me and I would have been disapointed if I bought this. They should disclose this fact.

#5 5 years ago

Are you guys talking about the commas? I think the commas are driven in an odd way on sys 7, like they hacked it into the sys 6 design, i forget exactly what they did. Did they use the sound pia or something?

#6 5 years ago

I think they mean the "serifs" on the numbers 9 and 6.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Are you guys talking about the commas? I think the commas are driven in an odd way on sys 7, like they hacked it into the sys 6 design, i forget exactly what they did. Did they use the sound pia or something?

looks like he talking about the top bar of a 6 and bottom bar of a 9. making them one segment from being 8's rather than 2.

#8 5 years ago

OOoh i see now.

the displays are missing commas tho too in the top pic?

#9 5 years ago

My pictures are shown during the display test mode and here the commas are shown with every second number. They behave normally during gameplay.

#10 5 years ago

First two pictures I see lowercase "b"s and "g"s, not 6s and 9s. This can't be right. If it is, I would not buy, and I need some displays.

Don C.

#11 5 years ago

I have had pinscore in my Hot Tip for a good while now and never even noticed.
    It is an odd choice to do that, but it does not bother me at all.

#12 5 years ago

Yep, as I've mentioned earlier I also thought my pinscore displays were bad since they werent showing the 6 and 9's ( or b and g's) as the originals. But it is a concious design choice from pinscore. Since I now know its suppose to be like that I can live with it, but I just wanted you all to know that there is a difference in the way pinscore display displays the two numbers.

#13 5 years ago

Good to know, thanks!

Does anyone know if other brands "chose" to do it this way? I'm sure you are right in that the 7 segment decoder they can source can't do it the original way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 233.10
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 35.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 29.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside