Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jar155
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Well folks, for a long time I have had a Stern Rollercoaster looking at me, asking for a complete cleaning, but everytime I start looking at the pf and all the ramps I just find a better thing to do elsewhere

Finally I said nuff is nuff and started to dissasembly the pf, I have to say Its the first "modern" pinball I have, my collection is made of 70s, 80s and 90s, and I've found the quality of the screws and some parts on this Stern pin to be a little crappy.

I really HATE to clean this pin, in order to access the pf under the back ramps I need to remove lots of plastic ramps, wires and s*** the back of the pf is loaded with toys, ramps, plastics, they used lots of different size spacers and nuts.... some of the screws are already damaged and the quality sucks, soft as melted butter....

So... I left the pin alone and went for the DE Royal Rumble, much easier, only the miniplayfield needed a little more effort...

Its the first time I said, fuck this pin!

#2 6 years ago

Whitewater!!! Ugh!

#3 6 years ago

Baywatch and POTC.

#4 6 years ago

I shop out a lot of machines on the side and by far the worst and most challenging was Pinball Magic!!! Most Bally/Williams titles you can just take apart things section by section and are designed to come apart. PM was horrible because you would try to take apart a section and then realize to get to a screw etc you had to take another section half apart but to do that you had to go do something else etc etc. I remember spending what seemed like a day try to figure out how to get to one screw to remove a part. It was under another part and you could not take that apart unless you got the first part out. Ridiculous design... GREAT Game though! I like it better than TOM!

#5 6 years ago

WCS94, Creech, and Whitewater. Stacked and intertwined ramps galore on those.

#6 6 years ago

Earthshaker by MILES. Williams was clearly just learning how to make complicated games with overlapping features, but hadn’t yet figured out how to make it all easily serviceable.

Just changing out the flashlamp under the center ramp means you have to pull the playfield out of the game (no rails to slide on!), pull out the rear VUK, disassemble the fault (PITA, screws are horrendously inconvenient), pull out the corkscrew skill shot ramp, then finally pull out the main ramp and all the switch connectors.

It’s all piles of nonsense, and it’s awful.

#7 6 years ago

I feel your pain on shopping RCT, but once that babys shopped its a whole lot of fun IMO.

I am surprised. I think the sterns of that era to be the best quality stern put out. These games are far from cheaply built. RCT would be considered an LE/premium if that same game was released today. There are probably more coils in that game than the last 4 Stern releases combined. My guess is somebody was in there before you and jacked up the screws with the wrong screw driver.

I completely understand how you feel about shopping it. Congrats for tackling it. Hope you give it a fair shake. It's a lot of fun and one you don't find in every collection.

Looking forward to this thread, hope some tips on these tuff games pop up.

Glad you started it!

#8 6 years ago

Corvette is a real PITA. The ramps are layered and there are a couple spots which were difficult to get back together unless you have small hands.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Baywatch and POTC.

I’ve never done Baywatch, but absolutely feel the pain on POTC. Every damn thing is bolted to the playfield with a nut underneath. Ugg!

#10 6 years ago

Tales of the Arabian nights. That damn spiral ramp, all ramps suck on that game. And if you dont label and photograph posts you will be screwed for days.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Tales of the Arabian nights. That damn spiral ramp, all ramps suck on that game. And if you dont label and photograph posts you will be screwed for days.

Great I am starting one this week ...can't be worse than the ramps on DM or CFTBL...

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Corvette is a real PITA. The ramps are layered and there are a couple spots which were difficult to get back together unless you have small hands.

That's your screen name and avatar pic???... Really???

#13 6 years ago

Always has been. Always will be.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I shopped my tales out in two nights, no pics. I don't know how the hell I did it. Those ramps suck, but not as bad as scared stiff. Scared stiff sucked.

#15 6 years ago

I try to take as many pics as possible when Im doing a hard playfield, but I dunno how I manage to always miss the photo that I will need to place a difficult ramp correctly, many times I have to search for pics at google, or ask a friend with same pin to take some pics for me :/

The worse is when you shop a pin for the first time, many times you find lots of stupid fixes, crappy jobs and broken parts, you start with a nice dirty but working pin and then you need to orden 5 plastics and a ramp for you shiny pinball hahahahaha

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

#17 6 years ago

Bsd is rough...... lots of layers.

#18 6 years ago

X-files is horrible to shop. Everything is so tightly and stupidly integrated. To change rubbers on one of the right posts you have to remvoe the right ramp. to remove the right ramp. to remove the right ramp, you have to remove the left ramp. etc etc.. jesus.

#19 6 years ago

I've heard whitewater many times, but I thought this was one of the easiest to shop.

I'd say my top 5 that I've restored:

Demolition Man - ramps and crane optos
    Bram Stoker's Dracula - way more complicated than I ever expected. New found respect just for the build layout
    Arabian Nights - because of the infinite size posts. Man they vary by like 1/16" it seems
    STTNG - all the underside stuff
    Judge Dredd - that stupid motor assembly planet thing problem

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I shop out a lot of machines on the side and by far the worst and most challenging was Pinball Magic!!!

Yeah I've done it a few times and it's not fun.

Quoted from Rum-Z:

WCS94, Creech, and Whitewater. Stacked and intertwined ramps galore on those.

Which brings me to Dirty Harry. You have to flex the ramps a ton to intertwine them..a bit scary

Working on a Rollergames now and that can be a pain. Gottleib Victorty was a weird one too.

#21 6 years ago

Road show though i never learn as im about to add a twilight zone to my list of widebodys

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

Yes!! Royal PITA!

In the middle of this one now. The stacked winding ramps are pretty difficult to yank out, but this is easier than Demo Man

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Haven't ya heard, Snowflakes gotta snowflake

Club on buddy

#24 6 years ago

In order, if it includes rebuilding of pop bumpers or pretty much anything under the playfield

1: Safecracker
    2: Whitewater
    3: Creature

If only cleaning counts, Safecracker no longer "wins"

#25 6 years ago

WNBJM as there is no real challenge!

#26 6 years ago

I also find it weird people complain about Whitewater - it isn't that complicated, the manual even explains how to remove the upper playfield with associated ramps. Once that is off, the rest is easy.
    Taking off the long ramp of Scared Stiff, which requires removing the back panel was more complicated.

My vote also goes to Earthshaker, I really hate shopping that game. A lot of sys11 games are more complex to shop than they look like. And some DE games too (I remember Hook also having some difficult to reach screws).

#27 6 years ago

I have not ventured to change on old 44 GI globe with a led on the back left hand corner because of staples yet on earthshaker it looks like a mess to get at BSD looks very complicated underneath and top i heard to change the coffin globe is real fun lets hope the globe in there last a few years
    Roadshow was easy to pull down and clean just looks hard

#28 6 years ago

Judge Dredd. Popeye, Whitewater.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

X-files is horrible to shop. Everything is so tightly and stupidly integrated. To change rubbers on one of the right posts you have to remvoe the right ramp. to remove the right ramp. to remove the right ramp, you have to remove the left ramp. etc etc.. jesus.

Seems late Data East and Segas always had multi layers of plastics and sometimes flashers did not have connectors on them. Numerous hex posts.

#30 6 years ago

Right now..allnof them as I'm still learning haha

I'm still struggling with the basics and being overly cautious due to the cost of the machines.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Judge Dredd. Popeye, Whitewater.

Quoted from castlesteve:

I've heard whitewater many times, but I thought this was one of the easiest to shop.
    I'd say my top 5 that I've restored:
    Bram Stoker's Dracula - way more complicated than I ever expected. New found respect just for the build layout
    Arabian Nights - because of the infinite size posts. Man they vary by like 1/16" it seems
    STTNG - all the underside stuff
    Judge Dredd - that stupid motor assembly planet thing problem

Judge Dreed was not too hard for me, but took a lot of time to left the planet working properly.

Next pins I have to do, and now Im scared:

Demo Man
    Dracula
    Popeye
    Roadshow (I started to clean this one, but I was unable to remove the heads and left it alone)

I think I will clean and shop my Flash again and forget about the hard ones hahahahaha

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

I also find it weird people complain about Whitewater - it isn't that complicated, the manual even explains how to remove the upper playfield with associated ramps. Once that is off, the rest is easy.

I agree 100%. White Water was my first shopout after I did my Earthshaker, and after you label all the connectors and remove the upper playfield, it's really not bad at all. Everything as a place, and everything is well engineered. You're not craning your fingers like a contortionist to take things off or put them back together. I was able to strip and rebuild the playfield without much hassle.

Just thinking about Earthshaker though is giving me the cold sweats again.

#33 6 years ago

WCS94 is the worst. Anybody who has pulled down the whole stack knows that it's a bit of a process to do. If you're ever going to tear down a WCS94, make sure to put Cliffy protectors on at that time if it doesn't already have them. Avoid going through that process twice.

Batman Forever can be a chore. White Water, CFTBL, BoP, and Spider-Man can all be rough to take down to the bare playfield and build back up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-your-really-hate-to-cleanshop?hl=waffen_spain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.