New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 160877)

Pins you wish had different coding?

By trunchbull

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kidchrisso
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Probably self-explanatory: what pins do you wish someone would go back and flesh out the code on? Or even totally re-do? Tables with great layouts but totally empty rulesets, or lacking wizard modes? If you could have someone like Dutch Pinball go in and make a 2.0, what would you want?

The one that comes to me first is Rollercoaster Tycoon, which is an awesome theme with an excellent design that's totally, utterly let down by the dullest code ever. The callouts are nonsensical and unfunny (who's the random Jamaican guy?), nothing of interest happens on the DMD, and the modes are, at best, vague. I'd love to see someone go back and bring some humor to the animations and modes (barfing peep frenzy? out-of-control merry-go-round?).

It's really interesting how code can totally make or break a game. What makes for a "good code"?

Also, if this has been a topic previously, feel free to point me in the right direction!

#2 4 years ago

Every single early ss pin. So many unwanted duds that could be great if the rules were even slightly creative.

#5 4 years ago

Seriously !!! Most pins ! Even pins with great code over time get old. I really think there is a money making market here. For pinball company's. Think of the new Xmen movies. I would pay 50.00 bucks to add to or change to my Xmen pin. Songs and shots to music pins I'm still so shocked that this money maker hasnt happened yet.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I would pay 50.00 bucks to add to or change to my Xmen pin. Songs and shots to music pins I'm still so shocked that this money maker hasnt happened yet

You've answered your own question -> $50 isn't really a money maker.
It would take more than $50 per willing possible customer to make redoing code a worthwhile "money maker".
For example, it's much easier to make pin-blades (stickers) than redo game code.

#8 4 years ago

Id4

#10 4 years ago

Safecracker

#12 4 years ago

Xmen ... rules are fine but the call outs,sounds are just awful

#13 4 years ago

Creature. Probably the best-looking game ever made, but the rules are way too linear and the awful renditions of 50s rock songs need to be replaced with the real thing.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Creature. Probably the best-looking game ever made, but the rules are way too linear and the awful renditions of 50s rock songs need to be replaced with the real thing.

CFTBL has an older sound system so synthesized music is as good as it gets (stock).

Rob

#15 4 years ago

Well maybe not different, but additional code ACDC. Something to make the mini playfield actually fun (meaningful) to play and do something with those useless cannon inserts once and for all.

Rob

#16 4 years ago
#17 4 years ago

TOTAN for sure.

#18 4 years ago

Dungeons and Dragons....it doesn't seem to have much to do with D&D! WTF is dust?

#19 4 years ago

Gilligan's Island immediately comes to my mind. The game has an amazing layout. I especially like the shot under the left ramp where the ball travels through a bunch of different passages into the bumpers, and the turning playfield toy also has great potential. Sadly the game is just way too linear. Just shoot each shot a certain amount of times before reaching the wizard mode (if you can call it that) and that's about all there is to the game. There's jungle run and a random multiball (Why is it random?!) but no other significant ways to score. I played one, 5-ball game of Gilligan's Island at Pinfest last year and I feel like I've seen all it has to offer.

Again, I think the shot layout is wonderful, but I feel like there's potential to make the game almost as fun as CftBL, and to use the turning playfield to its fullest potential.

#20 4 years ago

Looking at my own games, I think High Speed is fun, but could be a lot more versitale if more was programmed in like in later system 11 games (Whirlwind, Earthshaker). Same goes for Road Kings (that's why I started Road Kings 2.0).
Of my later games I think BSD may be 'simple' but really complete, well coded and challenging. Stargate is great, apart from some unbalanced scoring (I don't mind, but some do). Judge Dredd has great modes/code, but the Wizard modes could be a lot better (best would be if it depends on 'how well your played the modes') and the crime-scenes are 'just there' for some bonus and an extra ball.

Well, there's always something that can be improved, but this was what I could think of in games that I know really well. There are a lot of games with a nice layout but 'lacking' code. (First one that comes to mind is IJ4: it could be way better with different code...I'm sure looking through a list of games you could think of a lot that are boring because of the code)

#21 4 years ago

Judge dredd.

#23 4 years ago

TOM-- One of the most beautiful games made and great ball flow. But multi-ball is just beating on the trunk until you have to buy a new one and the wizard mode is a dud.

#24 4 years ago

What would you change?

#26 4 years ago

NGG +2

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Every single early ss pin. So many unwanted duds that could be great if the rules were even slightly creative.

What would you change on:
Flash Gordon
Black Knight
Quicksilver
Devils Dare

Curious as I think the rules on those games are pretty good

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

What would you change on:
Flash Gordon
Black Knight
Quicksilver
Devils Dare
Curious as I think the rules on those games are pretty good

Not familiar with the last two, so couldn't say specifically. I've only ever even seen a quicksilver in Bowen's tutorial, and a Devil's Dare once at Pintastic, where I had no idea what I was doing whatsoever.

Flash Gordon:
MB. Move the multipliers around more. I really love how the game keeps you moving all over the playfield, but often you don't even complete the inlines so are never required to go to the left bank or upper bank. Upper PF collect bonus is badly placed, important things like that should require you to purposely make them, and should have a very satisfying physical thing when you get them (eg, a kickout hole, a magnet, etc). Especially when it's something like a bonus countdown. Maybe just have the upper target light the kickout for bonus collect. Kickout should have memory for the direction between balls. I'm not a fan of timed stuff, so I would change the left bank to toggle based on switch hits, and make the score multiplier be '2x for 30 switch hits' or something similar. Not a big fan of score multipliers in general (look at the crazy unbalanced scoring on GoT or GB), would have preferred a jackpot of some type over a playfield multiplier, but you can't change the inserts...

Black Knight:
Again, not a fan of score multipliers, especially ones that are just the number of balls. Multiball in this is where the points are, but solely because of the multipliers, otherwise it'd just be dangerous (double drains, etc). Multiball is also too easy to get, even with the non-default setting to require hitting the bonus X loop to light the locks (it lights all three, would have been nice to have an extra hard option for lighting one each time). Extra balls are also unbalanced, it should be all blue targets or all red targets to light EB, not all top PF targets and all bottom. No reason to go to the lower playfield at all, besides lighting locks, if you have that enabled. Any machine with a separated playfield should encourage moving back and forth. Multiball should have some kind of jackpot (older games with multiball but nothing to do (and worse, shots that now do nothing because their sole purpose is to start multiball) always bum me out a bit once I get tuned in enough to manage the multiball), and it should require re-lighting (games where you just spam a shot over and over also bum me out). Easiest would be the lock shot again, and something with completing sets of drops to relight (or multiply it, 1X jackpot for each lock light lit). It'd be crazy hard during multiball, but what's the point of a game where you can achieve all the objectives more than 1/1000 games? Also, the 'last chance' inlanes should never give you a multiball, just give you one ball.

I've actually considered making my own BK rom (it's on my todo list, but what isn't?). Currently playing around, in my mind, with this ruleset: Arrows don't count drop completions, instead, each arrow means a different thing. Left arrow on any bank is the left magnasave. Right arrow is right magnasave. Center arrow is light a lock. There's one of each arrow lit on the playfield (or more, depending on balancing and configuration), and they rove around with switch hits. Hitting a bank when one or more arrows are in front of it 'locks' them to that bank (till it times out), and completing the bank awards you whatever arrows were lit in front of it at the time. Would encourage play sort of like Seawitch, where you've got a specific bank you're always aiming for, but it changes. Playfield multiplier isn't determined by balls in play, but instead putting a ball in the lower kickout, or making the mystery shot off the left inlane (no mystery points, they're a bad idea) increases the multiplier for a limited time. The turnaround lights jackpots, and completing banks multiplies them, but during multiball the arrows count bank completions, and once you 'max out' a bank it can't be used for multipliers any more until you complete all of the red/blue banks.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Not familiar with the last two, so couldn't say specifically. I've only ever even seen a quicksilver in Bowen's tutorial, and a Devil's Dare once at Pintastic, where I had no idea what I was doing whatsoever.

Said it before and I'm saying it again.....Quicksilver is perfect.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome/page/2#post-3097866

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

What would you change?

Going up top and playing the game to get into the vault is worth way to many points and not really interesting . I believe it's worth alot because the game seems centered around getting into the vault but playing the game to get into the vault is lame . I like that the game is timed (that was a cool , but not original idea ) but it was poorly used and the game gets really old after a few plays . The game has a decent layout and could be fun but it isn't . I would like to see this game recoded to put much less emphasis on playing that stupid game . Getting into the vault could still be the main objective but get there through shots on the playfield instead of playing the board game . Currently the main objective to the game ruins it . Too easy to get to . No skill in rolling imaginary dice . Not even that much fun to roll the imaginary dice and way to much time doing so . I'd rather be playing pinball than that nonsense

#32 4 years ago

Revenge From Mars:
Fun game and theme but very linear. It has some awesome modes that I love (hypnobeam, happy hour, robo-lincoln) but also some modes that don't seem complete (drive in theatre, alien autoposy) and others that just have become stale (alien abduction).

Flesh out some of the modes, come up with a way to activate modes in a less linear fashion, frehen up some of the humor and since its now ubiquitous, go ahead and make it HD (hardware updates required of course) and thats a code/hardware mod I would buy.

#33 4 years ago

Gilligan's Island for sure. I love the layout.

And pretty much every Gottlieb/Premier title. I think if those ROMs were all redone those games could be quite fun.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Going up top and playing the game to get into the vault is worth way to many points and not really interesting . I believe it's worth alot because the game seems centered around getting into the vault but playing the game to get into the vault is lame . I like that the game is timed (that was a cool , but not original idea ) but it was poorly used and the game gets really old after a few plays . The game has a decent layout and could be fun but it isn't . I would like to see this game recoded to put much less emphasis on playing that stupid game . Getting into the vault could still be the main objective but get there through shots on the playfield instead of playing the board game . Currently the main objective to the game ruins it . Too easy to get to . No skill in rolling imaginary dice . Not even that much fun to roll the imaginary dice and way to much time doing so . I'd rather be playing pinball than that nonsense

great ideas! Now we just need to convince someone to Proc it!

#36 4 years ago

NGG +3
TOTAN +4
Roadshow +2

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port St. Lucie, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sewickley, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
Professor Pinball
$ 9.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside