(Topic ID: 137740)

Pins You Thought You Would Enjoy And Didn't!!!

By HoneyBadger

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by erak
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

What pins did you buy figuring you would like them and they just didn't grab you like you wanted?

For me the biggest letdown was Radical. Now I don't hate this game, but I did not enjoy it as near much as I thought I would. The same goes for Vector as I thought for sure I would love it with that playfield layout. I don't miss either and have no desire to get them again.

#3 8 years ago

IJ. Was a blast for a while. Happy to let it go quick. Don't know why. Thought I could keep it a loooong time. Was surprised how sleepy it made me.
    Edit--maybe it was the video mode overload. Man, they're annoying.

#4 8 years ago

Who ? Dunnit

#5 8 years ago

KISS, STTNG, TZ, DW just to name a few, apparently I love boat anchors!

#6 8 years ago

Avengers. Big marvel fan looks cool hated the game play

#7 8 years ago

BSD. Found it really boring and way too repetitive.

FH. Eh. Rudy is cool but didn't like the pf layout.

Nip It. Just too deep. Too many modes. Found it a chore to play.

#8 8 years ago

Strange Science.

#9 8 years ago

IM

Big Marvel fan but just not fun.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

IJ. Was a blast for a while. Happy to let it go quick. Don't know why. Thought I could keep it a loooong time. Was surprised how sleepy it made me.
    Edit--maybe it was the video mode overload. Man, they're annoying.

Yep me too. Enjoyed restoring it but haven't really missed it.

Totan got boring quick. Lovely looking game but a bit too easy.

#11 8 years ago

(flame suit on)...

LOTR

I really tried to like it. Couldn't stand the extremely long ball times. The ball flow, to me, felt "clunky".

IMO, LOTR is a chore to play.

I'm glad I sold it and kept POTC.

#12 8 years ago

STTNG - beautiful game and great theme, hated the game play.

#13 8 years ago

Judge Dredd. Great artwork package all around, lots to shoot for, plenty of modes, great sound music and speech, and when I got it I got bored with it almost immediately. Same thing with CFTBL. Gorgeous machine with a great theme. I could not get rid of it fast enough. To me, the only thing it was good for, was it made excellent trading material for a machine that I had always wanted.

#14 8 years ago

Stern Star Trek -
    Despite the depth of the rules and scoring strategies the ramps and orbits are too redundant.
    I'm not crazy about timed modes.
    The light show is either too intense or too dark.
    Karl Urban (while I like him as an actor) call outs are boring and flat.

#15 8 years ago

I think transformers is a turd. I can barley get through 3 balls

#16 8 years ago

vector is so awesome looking but it felt like the ball stopped with a clunk on every shot except the vectorscan. Still i miss just looking at it.

#18 8 years ago

WH2O

I often think I need to get one again.......just to try again

It's the quickest turn over I have ever had, and it was quite the pissing match of buyers (4 -5 years ago) I just sold it to the first person in line.....and listened to the rest whine....

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from jchiu:

IM
    Big Marvel fan but just not fun.

Once you get good at pinball you'll enjoy IM.

OT: TWD. Dream theme. Garbage, lazy layout.

#20 8 years ago

TAF - Ramp scoop over and over. Plus the great fun of the magnets throwing the ball sdtm.

ES - Awesome game until you get good at it. Then everything is maxxed and all there is to do is shoot the ramp. Should have the building jackpot WW does.

Xenon- Love the classic Ballys. However the strobing lights and flashing and shoot the tube over and over drove me crazy.

T2 - Holds the record for shortest own time. I ripped it up in 1 game and never had to play it again. I do like T3 better just not enough to own.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taygeta:

Once you get good at pinball you'll enjoy IM.
    OT: TWD. Dream theme. Garbage, lazy layout.

Part of my enjoyment of owning games is having friends/family come over and play. Most of them are casual or new so IM would not be fun for them. Universal ability to play a few long balls is important to me which is why I purposely chose ST and LOTR.

#22 8 years ago

Congo
    Stern ST
    Tron
    CFTBL

Congo was by far the biggest disappointment in a pin I've owned. There was nothing fun about collecting 10 diamonds...let alone 100. The toy on the game (lower PF) is basically bash the flipper buttons.

No wonder they were parts machines for other WPC95 games

#23 8 years ago

Who ? Dunnit. I absolutely love the theme, call outs, music, dmd dots. But after a short time the game play just got so boring to me with all the stop-and-go.

#25 8 years ago

Tspp was my first Stern game and I loved the layout & theme at first, but quickly started hating the sound package. Now it sounds like claws on a chalkboard to me.

#26 8 years ago

BK2000...... I absolute love the original Black Knight, and this made me want a BK2000. Total let down.

#27 8 years ago

BBB - Sure is eye candy, but the game play did nothing for me.

TWD & ST - Was really looking forward to these. Glad I got to play them first before buying. At least ST looks good.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

(flame suit on)...
    LOTR
    I really tried to like it. Couldn't stand the extremely long ball times. The ball flow, to me, felt "clunky".
    IMO, LOTR is a chore to play.
    I'm glad I sold it and kept POTC.

I feel you there. I have had LOTR for a long time in my three game collection and play it 1/10th the amount I play El Dorado / Theatre of Magic. The only reason I keep it is because it's in good shape and I put a lot of work into making it nice (see: I will lose a grand if I sell the thing).

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I feel you there. I have had LOTR for a long time in my three game collection and play it 1/10th the amount I play El Dorado / Theatre of Magic. The only reason I keep it is because it's in good shape and I put a lot of work into making it nice (see: I will lose a grand if I sell the thing).

Yeah I sold mine at a hefty loss with no regrets. I can't buy time back no matter how rich I will or will not become! If I'm not playing a machine, it goes out the door. Whether it's plus or minus a hundred or a thousand dollars doesn't matter, I like having machines that I like to play!

#30 8 years ago

LOTR, beautiful game, just too much stop and go for me.

Family Guy, loved the show, the flow on the pin just did not work for me at all, same with Simpsons pinball party..

#31 8 years ago

Avengers is one that I have not had any fun playing. Loved the movie, like superheroes in general, the Tesseract looks cool (I'm pretty sure the game I played had the mod), but I never had a game where I wanted to play again. Only played it when it was up in league.

#32 8 years ago

Captain Fantastic. Just did not enjoy the double flipper on the left side.

#33 8 years ago

Wcs94... awful and simple rules, cool toys, awkward pf design, stupid right orbit exit feeding the left sling. Man, do I hate that steaming pile of wasted pinball parts.

#34 8 years ago

I would say Blackwater 100 . Loved the theme but 3-ball start wear's on you . Note ; If you ever pick up one make sure every thing is perfect because you will never find parts for it .

#35 8 years ago

TOTAN. I had only played one once in real life at Allentown, and then The Pinball Arcade came out and I played a ton of it on my iPad. I loved everything about it and had to have one. When I finally got the machine, something about it just didn't translate from TPA and I didn't want to touch it. The game is beautiful though.

LOTR. Love the theme, the music, and the DMD animations, but I hate the gameplay. Feels very slow and clunky to me. It was a huge hit with guests due to theme, but I didn't find it fun at all.

#36 8 years ago

Golden Eye just didn't cut it for me at all. ZENGA WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!! That line irritated me from the get go.

#37 8 years ago

I thought I would really like DM with all the ramps, multiballs, cool callouts, unique features, low-end cost, etc. When I played it, I soon figured out why they can be had cheap. The handles are a cool idea but I hate them. It's like trying to reinvent the wheel - flipper buttons belong on the side of the cab because that's the most comfortable and logical place to put them. Yeah, I know, DM still has those buttons.

Also - every EM and older SS game. I'm drawn in by the cool artwork and retro vibe but always let down by gameplay. I keep thinking I will find one I like but not yet.

#38 8 years ago

Scary to think....

Star Trek Premium...for the reasons above
    Tron: while great, the music was too good, and I couldnt sleep because I was hearing the soundtrack and playing in my sleep!
    Flintstones: Dont know why, had fun fixing up, but never grabbed me.
    Metallica: I thought the songs would integrate like AC/DC...great Game, just have no experience with the band.

#39 8 years ago

TAF - loved the game in the arcade. Really wanted one, but couldn't justify the price (many years ago) compared to other games. Finally bit the bullet and bought one. Within a day, I knew I wanted it gone. Still enjoy it at others homes. It's just too easy to get to wizard mode -- at least for me -- in a home environment. Love the theme and the call outs. Happy to see it go, though.

EATM - love the theme. Bought one in a package deal years ago. It was dirty, but in amazing shape other than some fade on the cab. Had never played one, but knew I couldn't lose. I took it completely apart, shopped it, got everything working. Played my first game....."oh....". Knew it wasn't for me. Sold quick, though, so no complaints. Much like POTC, it's too stop and go. Almost every shot stops the ball (only ramp shots have some flow). Don't miss it at all.

POTC - I really want to love the game. Love the theme, love the moving ship, but it's the game has way too much stop and go. It's absolutely boring. And the ball times are super long. I've actually left credits on the game and walked away. I'll always play one or two games on location. Depending on the location, I'll win a game or extra ball. I was in Niagra Falls last week and I was winning games. Played a couple of games. On last game I won an extra game AND matched. Left the game with 2 credits for the next person. I was done.

#40 8 years ago

No Fear
    Shadow
    Iron Man

#41 8 years ago

Wrestlemania.
    When I saw the pictures I thought the layout would be interesting. Was really disappointed and early code did not help. Too bad, because it was an attempt to try something different.

#42 8 years ago

TOM, its a beautiful game to look at but the play just does nothing for me. The only reason its still around is the wife likes it.

#43 8 years ago

Were a single thread like this long enough, you'd find all reasonably well-known pins listed. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

#44 8 years ago

Harly davidson 2nd-- got it for super cheap, thought it had great theme, shaker, multi ball and looked great..

Then I played a game...and barely got through 3 balls

TZ-- perhaps I have not played one that was set up properly but just cant get into it

AC/DC-- I bought a NIB Luci and it just didnt click with me...traded it for an STLE

#45 8 years ago

IJ - bought it and fixed it up, clear coated it thinking I would love it. Played one game after all that work and hated it. Sold it after the first game.

TZ - played it. Did nothing for me. I like FGY way better.

Avengers - love the theme but the game is a steaming pile of horse crap. Would rather play any other game on the planet, including a bingo machine, rather then play Avengers.

Stern Star Trek - I bought the refinery edition thinking I would love the game because I'm a huge Trekkie. I love the flow and the shots, it was actually fun for awhile but the repetitive crappy code ultimately killed the game and sucked the fun out of it for me. 18 modes of shoot the lit shot

Metallica - only played it a few times but didn't love it as much as I thought I would. Maybe a few more games on it will change that?

#46 8 years ago

Mine i guess would be POTC and Avengers. Not that either theme is that appealing to me but both look fun but are just clunky and boring to me.

Im with George the only times i play these is if I have to or if they are free

#47 8 years ago

TOTAN: I really enjoyed playing this at shows, but as soon as I got one home I was fed up with it after a few weeks and sold it on.

STtNG: Again liked the theme and was hoping to really get into the challenge of owning one, again this game only lasted a couple of months in my collection before moving it on for something else.

#48 8 years ago

most of the newer Sterns I have played

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Were a single thread like this long enough, you'd find all reasonably well-known pins listed. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

Thats the truth.

#50 8 years ago

I would also say Earthshaker...after you shoot the jackpot in multiball there are no other jackpots to shoot for. I wanted one for the longest time and do not miss it at all now that it is gone!

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-you-thought-you-would-enjoy-and-didnt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.