Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So there are games you love and yet hate the theme. It seems more often than not my favorite pins are themes I don't like. My list is as follows:

Iron Maiden. I hate the band. But the pin is incredible.

Dialed In. I cant say I hate the theme, but it's not great. And yet the game is amazing.

Shadow. Theme is meh, game is mind blowing.

Road Show. Stupid premise, super fun shots and toys.

Now that I think about it, more times than not, the themes I enjoy tend to be games I really dont like. Southpark, Game of Thrones, Ghost Busters, Deadpool, any Star Wars ever, etc.

I guess my point is, I couldn't care less about theme as long as the game is good. Shame they don't match up most the time for me. :/

#2 5 years ago

WPT was a favorite of mine for years. Never cared for the show or poker that much.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So there are games you love and yet hate the theme. It seems more often than not my favorite pins are themes I don't like. My list is as follows:
Iron Maiden. I hate the band. But the pin is incredible.
Dialed In. I cant say I hate the theme, but it's not great. And yet the game is amazing.
Shadow. Theme is meh, game is mind blowing.
Road Show. Stupid premise, super fun shots and toys.
Now that I think about it, more times than not, the themes I enjoy tend to be games I really dont like. Southpark, Game of Thrones, Ghost Busters, Deadpool, any Star Wars ever, etc.
I guess my point is, I couldn't care less about theme as long as the game is good. Shame they don't match up most the time for me. :/

I agree with you on Dialed In, IMDN and TS. They are not great themes, but great pins.

#4 5 years ago

Never seen The Walking Dead, love the pin though!

#5 5 years ago

IMDN & MET for recent Sterns. Plenty of others over the years.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

IMDN & MET for recent Sterns. Plenty of others over the years.

100% agree. Cannot stand the "music", but the gameplay is great

#7 5 years ago

Failed On. Although I don’t get the theme hate on that one. They prob should have gone with the Quantum City name.

IMDN; love the theme, am having a really hard time getting into the pin. Crazy, right? I don’t know if it’s that I haven’t owned a lot of Sterns, or what...

#8 5 years ago

Hated the Adams family... love the pin.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Never seen The Walking Dead, love the pin though!

See, for me that is the rare "love the theme love the gameplay" combo that usually doesnt happen.

#10 5 years ago

IMDN & TWD: equally hate both themes, but they are so much fun to shoot!!!

#11 5 years ago

All of the horribly themed 90s movie pins:

Johnny Mnemonic
Bram Stokers Dracula
Congo
The Shadow

Plus World Cup Soccer 94

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from TheBenk:

All of the horribly themed 90s movie pins:
Johnny Mnemonic
Bram Stokers Dracula
Congo
The Shadow
Plus World Cup Soccer 94

Yeah, themes don't get much more shitty than Congo, but it's an awesome pin.

#14 5 years ago

My vote would go towards Ripley's Believe it or Not! (RBION) A theme that really doesn't do much for me, but the game is incredible!

#16 5 years ago

Special Force, one of the longest lasting pins in my collection.

#17 5 years ago

Baywatch and wheel of fortune

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I guess my point is, I couldn't care less about theme as long as the game is good.

I wish I could overlook a bad theme but regardless of how great a pin might flip if theme sucks then so does the gameplay for me. Whats the point of making shots if the animations, music and art just don't hold ur interest or maybe even u hate them. I'm the direct opposite of you, which for you is probably a good thing.

#19 5 years ago

Dialed in
WCS
The Shadow

How about what game did you hate despite the theme??

#20 5 years ago

I think DangerSem might agree with me on this one.....Dolly Parton

Him and I play the hell out of it when we can find it, but I just can't see myself sitting Dolly Parton between Alien Star and TWD.

#21 5 years ago

For me Simpson pinball party never really got into watching the show but i love the pin.

#22 5 years ago

AC/DC. The game is one of the best ever made, I can’t wait to own it, and I think the theme stinks. Haha

#23 5 years ago

Hardbody has got to be one of the silliest themes of all time... yet I love the game. So many shots to hit, love the ramps and middle and hidden orbits, and especially the double set of buttons to use which get INSANE if you have a ball roll right in-lane so you save it with the bridge and off the right flipper, landing on the left flipper and into in-lane and you need to save again with the left in-lane save button, and then cradle on the left flipper. That's a 5-button move that I had to pull off in a playoff game once and it was intense!

That theme tho... yikes. It's gotta be one of the worst themes of all time.

#24 5 years ago

Barbwire-no way I would own it if it did not have an awesome layout.

#25 5 years ago

Shadow theme is great imo. Game feels like it is more based on the Shadow character and not so much the movie. Same for Congo. It's more of a jungle theme and less tied to the movie.

Dialed In has a terrible name. The disaster theme is actually pretty good but I think it gets confusing with all the cell phone/emoji stuff. Some of that stuff can be a turn off or at least a distraction from the great gameplay.

Band themes have to be the most polarizing imo. IMDN is fantastic to play but not a fan at all of music and the whole Eddie thing. Really wish Stern would recycle the layout with another theme.

#26 5 years ago

It would be far easier to list the themes that I actually like...
So many amazing tables out there with art and themes that I would have zero interest in otherwise.

#27 5 years ago

IMDN. Don't know how people are fans of them, but I love the pin.
FT. I'm a HUGE fisherman, but can't get into that game.

#28 5 years ago

Never seen Congo or the Shadow but I do like the games. It took me awhile to get into White Water because I thought the rafting theme was kinda stupid, but I really like that game now too. WCS is another one. I think it's a fun game now, but we got one because my wife really wanted it, and it took me a long time to warm up to it.

#29 5 years ago

Wizard of Oz. Not a theme for me, but that game is loaded!!

#30 5 years ago

World Cup Soccer.

I'm the opposite on IMDN. I love the band, don't really care for the pin. I just don't find the shots satisfying.

#31 5 years ago

Pretty much my entire lineup...Metallica, Congo, The Shadow, and Hardbody. Hardbody especially gets a bad reputation because of it's theme (and corresponding art package), yet it's one of the best split playfield designs.

#32 5 years ago

IMDN

#33 5 years ago

Gay 90s.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-you-love-despite-the-theme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.