Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by emo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF0185.JPG
    images-1.jpeg

#1 12 years ago

This follows on from another thread which discussed the merrits of Stern's Indiana Jones. When the following games first coma out I thought:

LOTR-boring because it kept hanging on to the ball for too long (was playing it on a site where I couldn't hear the audio).

POTC-boring because hitting the ramps appeared to score very little so it was best to sink the ship over and over again.

RBION, weird and f-ugly, why had they made it?

Embarassingly I like all three now that I appreciate the rules and game-play. Anyone else had to eat humble pie?

#2 12 years ago

TSPP. I never realized how deep, hilarious and entertaining it was cuz the first several times I played it was on a crappy route machine.

#3 12 years ago

Yeah, poorly maintained machines ruin everything..!
    I hated LOTR after playing it at a bowling alley!
    My "humble pie" was buying it and showing it some love...

I'm telling you guys... "Pin-Vigilante Task Force!"
    Mike wants the 'A-team' van- I want the 60's Ford Econo!
    I am itchin' to go, for some "Routed-Vigilante-Justice!"

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

"Lock and LOAD!!!"

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Yeah, poorly maintained machines ruin everything..!

Had the same feeling about the BK2000 I played. I think if I found a better one I'd rate it higher. The LOTR I played was also a piece of crap, but I could tell it was a fun pin despite the dirtiness and lack of working GI. I'm looking forward to beating on Jarjar's when I go on vacation in a couple weeks.

#5 12 years ago

The Party Zone. When I first played it I hated it. Very short ball times and really difficult game but very easy game rules....It kept calling me back. Maybe because it was hard but yet simple.
    Now I love it.
    As a matter of fact I'm gonna go for the "BIG BANG" right now. " Through the OZONE!!"

#6 12 years ago

RFM until I started to appreciate the technology and listening to the sounds,some of which are really funny!

#7 12 years ago

As I think I mentioned on the thread discussing Stern's IJ, WOF because I hated the show but then grew to like the pin.

#8 12 years ago

My first pin was the Medusa .. I really hated it at first as it needed so many little fixes. But then I came to really love it with it's unique features like the last zipper flippers ever done.

Once I fell back in love with it I have made it as original as possible removing and replacing all the stuff that still worked but others before me had done but wasn't totally original.

I don't know if I will ever part with it no matter what even though it isn't a machine like some everyone just has to have in their collection.

BTW Robin I found out how to fix the attach a pic after posting flaw. You need to edit your post and add a carriage return between the text and the attachment part. Just FYI

DSCF0185.JPGDSCF0185.JPG

#9 12 years ago

Nice Story and with a happy ending

Quoted from Brokedad:

My first pin was the Medusa .. I really hated it at first as it needed so many little fixes. But then I came to really love it with it's unique features like the last zipper flippers ever done.

I always thought Medusa was a beautiful game. I feel the same way about my Stern Lightning as I but a lot of work into it except I always loved it from the 1st flip onwards.

#10 12 years ago

Well it has taken me a while to warm up to TZ. But the last time I got a few plays on one with LEDs installed I really enjoyed it.

#11 12 years ago

I played Medusa at a show - fantastic pin

#12 12 years ago

It is the one I've been thinking about doing with LED's as the blue playfield lights are so dull and barely show.

Thanks for the nice comments about the machine. I paid $80 and traded a digital oscilloscope (Tektronix 2465). I rarely see one for sale anymore even though a decent amount were made being one of the first "talkies".

The picture is when it was first brought home. Since then it has had many changes including the touch up paint that didn't match being redone on the wood.

I was able to obtain a prototype backglass that stays under many layers of wrap and protection. Thanks to "you know who" for helping me find one when I first started out in this hobby.

#13 12 years ago

Well done on the prototype BG, I want one.

#14 12 years ago

Class of 1812 looked like crap to me, I even passed up a good deal on one. It is actually a fun game, wish I would have snagged it...

#15 12 years ago

Road Show. Didn't like it at all the first few times playing it. It has grown on me.

#16 12 years ago

I'm kind of like that with Road Show right now. I've only gotten a chance to play it once and I plan on trying it again to try and appreciate the story and depth that's there. I saw Lawlor's 1994 interview with Road Show about how the player base demanded games that told deep, interesting stories. At first it seems quite cheesy. I just need to spend more time get to know the rules.

#17 12 years ago

Off the top of my head I'd say IM. I first played it a little over a year ago at C2E2 and frankly thought it was junk. Since then, I've had the opportunity to play a few more times and find myself liking it a bit more each time.

Who knows... Eventually it may make it's way onto my list of pins I'd like to own.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I'm looking forward to beating on Jarjar's when I go on vacation in a couple weeks.

Ha ha ha!!! Hopefully I'll have it all dialed in by then. I put LEDs in it last weekend (still have a couple hard to reach ones to swap out yet) and tonight I added the under cabinet lighting. All that is left is to complete the Balrog topper. I have the Balrog, but am lacking the backbox flasher kit which is out of stock at Pinball Life at the moment.

#19 12 years ago

yeah not a big fan of road show myself

#20 12 years ago

I like them all. Kinda like fishing, bad is relative. Playing a bad machine is better than any day at work.. with that said, I was getting annoyed with the same sounds on rollergames last night.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Off the top of my head I'd say IM. I first played it a little over a year ago at C2E2 and frankly thought it was junk. Since then, I've had the opportunity to play a few more times and find myself liking it a bit more each time

Snap! I forgot that one. I travelled about 5 hrs drive to play Sterns Iron Maiden once and didn't like it much when I got there
    ....but that was because I didn't understand it. Great game and a real looker. There is a review in my profile.

#22 12 years ago

Emo, you'll be glad to know that CSI is the pin that I used to hate, but now enjoy playing.

I read your article about CSI recently in a magazine, and gave the machine another chance when I found one again. It does play totally different from any other machine, in a relaxing kind of way and I love locking that ball in the centrifuge and spinning it up by hitting targets.

#23 12 years ago

Cool, I'm glad you warmed to it. I had a good game at the weekend and thought I may even get complete Microscope Multiball-I got through the yellow jackpots, double and triple jackpots and scored the orange arrow around the right-that took me about 60-70% of the way there and then-nooo chance the evil son of a...heh.

I bought a camcorder last week to plan to video some gameplay in the next few weeks.

#24 12 years ago

Big Buck Hunter!

#25 12 years ago

LOTR. I played it several times and just couldn't figure out what to do, and couldn't get into it. Then, one day it clicked.

LOTR is awesome in the home, rather than on route. I can put $2 in a machine and play for more than an hour. I think Stern going the route of quick games makes a ton of sense for operators.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Well it has taken me a while to warm up to TZ. But the last time I got a few plays on one with LEDs installed I really enjoyed it.

I feel like I'm trying so hard to make myself like it. I always play it when I'm out, and I respect it, but I never have fun whilst playing. It's my favorite show of all time, and I still just don't have fun on it, even when I play excellently.

And to answer the question, mine is BSD. I thought that machine was just a bloodsucking bastard in my first experiences, and now I can enjoy it for it's challenge.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

I feel like I'm trying so hard to make myself like it. I always play it when I'm out, and I respect it, but I never have fun whilst playing.

Ditto.

#28 12 years ago

I'm going to have to go with Swords of Fury. At first I only liked it for the artwork and music.

After a while, I started to realize the beauty of the playfield layout. Its pretty insane if you look at the various ways the ball can travel. Once you learn ball control, I feel that Swords of Fury is the system 11 equivalent of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Sharpshooter style game with little room for flailing, but rewarding for the precise player.

"Challenge me!!!"

PS: I was initially going to say that Rollergames was my pick, but even back when it came out, it was so cheesy with the art and music...how could you not like it?

1 week later
    #29 12 years ago

I always walked right by No Good Gofers because something about the cutesy name, theme, colors rubbed me the wrong way. After finally giving it a fair shot I've found it to be pretty enjoyable.

#30 12 years ago

sm for me

#31 12 years ago

When I first got WH2O, I couldn't do anything with it. Lots of drains, couldn't hit anything, it just irritated me and I couldn't wait to get it shopped and sold. Then I started playing it while fixing it up. Now I think it's the best and most fun pin I've ever played. When I sold it I was still trying to master the insanity falls shot.

#32 12 years ago

Indiana Jones, BW. I always thought it was horrible, until I actually played one that worked. Now it's high on my list of wants.

#33 12 years ago

Indiana Jones.

About 10 years ago I played A LOT of pinball in a movie theatre. But their Indiana Jones I think I played only twice. I just couldn't see the point. Now I think it's awesome.

#34 12 years ago

TAF for me. I just stayed away from it all these years and now its like an unexplored treasure.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I always walked right by No Good Gofers because something about the cutesy name, theme, colors rubbed me the wrong way.

Me also until I picked one up cheap and after playing it more I it really grows on you. Great play-field design, which reminds me of Whirlwind a lot.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-you-hated-but-like-now and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.