(Topic ID: 147991)

Pins you don't play, but will never sell?

By pinlink

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by edcianci
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you own games that you will never sell but don't play?”

• Yes 69 votes
    51%
  • No 67 votes
    49%

(136 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Wondering if others have this issue. I have a TAF that I picked up a couple years ago and played nonstop until about 6 months ago. Since then it really hasn't been touched at all. My buddy who realized this made me an offer but I told him it would never leave. He thought I was crazy since I never play it and it was a good offer. I am just afraid I would miss it and wouldn't be able to get another for the price I paid. Am I weird or do you hoard games that you never play? I am referring to fully working games.

#2 3 years ago

We play em all! And the ones that I wanted gone are already gone. So...no.

#3 3 years ago

I've played TAF so often I'm basically sick of it now. I haven't touched one in about 6 months at this point.

For some pins, I just enjoy the artwork on them--sometimes they look great, but the gameplay is really lackluster. So, those pins pretty much just get looked at and not played.

#4 3 years ago

I have a EATPM that I hardly play at all. Won't sell... Spent many hours restoring it.

#5 3 years ago

I have a 3 year old...none of them get played. The problem is that other than AC/DC I dont see myself selling any. And I would only sell ACDC to fund a MET or ACDC Premium.

#6 3 years ago

I've reached the point where games have to earn their keep. I just sold my Scared Stiff, which is one of my all time favorite pins. I just wasn't playing it. So it left.

The games that are keepers are more than just emotional attachment, they're good to actually play, and I still enjoy doing so.

Everything else is negotiable for the right price.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Am I weird or do you hoard games that you never play?

You're not Weird (lots of people would do this). But you ARE a hoarder

Quoted from pinlink:

I am just afraid I would miss it and wouldn't be able to get another for the price I paid.

There's part of the problem right there - it doesn't matter if you can get another for the price you paid. You should only care if you can get another for the price you sell it for

If your friend buys the game for more (you said it was a good offer), and you eventually buy another for THAT price, you are out NOTHING.

Suggestion - sell it to your friend with the agreement that if he wants to sell it he gives you first right of refusal at the same price you sell it to him for (plus a fair amount if he adds mods, like Color DMD). Maybe that will take the "fear" out of selling it to your friend and you can both have the opportunity to enjoy it fully.

#8 3 years ago

What's the point of keeping it if you won't play it? Let somebody else love it as you once did. It's not a doorstop!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've reached the point where games have to earn their keep. I just sold my Scared Stiff, which is one of my all time favorite pins. I just wasn't playing it. So it left.
The games that are keepers are more than just emotional attachment, they're good to actually play, and I still enjoy doing so.
Everything else is negotiable for the right price.

You will regret that

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's not a doorstop!

No, but it's a piece of art

The minute I no longer enjoy having it, it's gone.

#11 3 years ago

Most of my EMs..... Not worth enough to bother with selling, and hey, occasionally I have company over. Difference between not being willing to sell vs trade though for me

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, but it's a piece of art
The minute I no longer enjoy having it, it's gone.

True dat. But it's a FUNCTIONAL work of art. If you're not playing it, it's sort of defeating it's raison d'etre.

But if you have any machines you're just looking at, I'd be happy to trade you a nice watercolor painting I did in third grade. You can look at it while I play your game.

#13 3 years ago

I've already sold every one I thought i'd never sell. I can't say it about any pin going forward.

#14 3 years ago

The only games that I keep but don't play regularly are projects or ones the girlfriend wants me to keep.

#15 3 years ago

They are all expendable. They are just toys. Unless you have something super rare like goin nuts or King Kong you will see dozens of whatever title FS over the next year.

Don't be a hoarder, let other people own/enjoy them. You can always lend it out if you trust said person.

#16 3 years ago

My Grand Prix EM hardly ever gets played but I got it as a kid in 1977 and have too strong of a sentimental attachment to probably ever sell it.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

They are all expendable. They are just toys. Unless you have something super rare like goin nuts or King Kong you will see dozens of whatever title FS over the next year.
Don't be a hoarder, let other people own/enjoy them. You can always lend it out if you trust said person.

I kind of agree with Flank here. That said, I do own both a gorgeous restored Whirlwind that I haven't played in ages (thinking about selling it now though! Anyone have a Mystery Castle for sale? ). I also don't play RFM all that much but absolutely love it when I do!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

I kind of agree with Flank here. That said, I do own both a gorgeous restored Whirlwind that I haven't played in ages (thinking about selling it now though). I also don't play RFM all that much but absolutely love it when I do!

I understand the idea having a beautiful restore you don't want to move, the chances are low you ever find one nicer.

#20 3 years ago

I spent 4500 restoring a whirlwind. In the end, It was still a whirlwind. I enjoyed and then I sold it for a loss. Lesson learned, next game.

#21 3 years ago

If i go 2 weeks without playing a fully working game it is gone.

#22 3 years ago

I think the answer to this question is based on available space and funds. If you have the room and money, why not keep games you love around??? Especially if you like to throw parties and let others enjoy. When you don't have storage or funds, you are forced to sell games.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from MSN22:

You will regret that

I really won't. As much as I love it, when friends come over and want to play a game and you kinda groan, then you know it's time to go.

Beautiful, a real looker. Lots of fun. But I don't run a museum here, my pins are for playing. If I had room for 2 or 3 times as many it might be different. But I really max out around 10.

IMHO if you don't enjoy playing it, and you don't keep games just for other people to enjoy, then sell what you don't play.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

You can always lend it out if you trust said person.

I loaned out my Tron, and that was a great move. I got a TSPP in trade for a bit, and I learned two important things:

1) I missed Tron, having it gone reinforced that I want to keep it

2) I no longer want to own a TSPP, it's a really cool game, but not for me

Temp trading is awesome.

#25 3 years ago

Sadly I don't play any of my games very much. Half are out on location so those are getting worked. I enjoy working on them more than playing. Will play a new game for about a week, then it sits.

#26 3 years ago

I own a near flawless Addams Family Gold- it gets played the least; but will never leave the collection. I enjoy playing it from time to time and my sons still dig it. My friends will also play the occasional game; but far more time is spent on my newer Sterns.
Down deep one of my main concern with ever selling the Addams gold is that a replacement one in the same condition would be virtually impossible to find locally. When I do play the game, it still puts a smile on my face...

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I think the answer to this question is based on available space and funds. If you have the room and money, why not keep games you love around??? Especially if you like to throw parties and let others enjoy. When you don't have storage or funds, you are forced to sell games.

I think that over 3/4's of my games haven't been touched in a long time. Luckily I have space and not looking for other toys so I don't need to move the machines along. I fully understand that if someone else owned the machines they would see more love but I still love them myself. So yes, they probably won't get played for awhile but that's what I'm looking forward to when I retire. That and the machines that I have parted with have gone up in value and I didn't need to move them along.

#28 3 years ago

For me, the games I looked for the longest and had the hardest time acquiring won't leave. I remember what I had to go through getting them and have a hard time letting go. Like that "into the maw of despair" thread. While I have never gone through that type of nightmare buying a pin, if I were that guy I would never sell that STTNG. Too much of a conversation piece.....like a trophy
For instance my LOTR.... The guy I bought it from had carpel tunnel surgery and we had the hardest time moving it down a windy staircase. It seems almost all of my recent purchases have a story and memory surrounding them

#29 3 years ago

Probably half the stupidly rich people on here horde games that are never played. They also drive up prices.

#30 3 years ago

Yes, half my games are currently broken so they don't get played and I don't have time to fix them.

#31 3 years ago

I don't play every game every day because I just don't have that kind of time. I do eventually play them all at one time or another during the year. Sometimes it's nice to rediscover a game you haven't played in quite some time.

#32 3 years ago

I agree with T7 and Flank. Sell it or trade it to a friend with the understanding you get first refusal. It's like doubling you're available space when you can store pins at a friend's house.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Probably half the stupidly rich people on here horde games that are never played. They also drive up prices.

I know this for a fact.

#34 3 years ago

I believe if something electro-mechanical is not used for long periods of time , it will break down from stagnation. With that in mind , I sometimes force myself to play a pin that I haven't used in awhile because it needs the work. But when I start to play , the reasons I hunted down that pin come back to me and I usually end up playing multiple games on it , not because it needs it , but because I want to play it.

#35 3 years ago

I have three games I don't really play but are glued to the floor:
- Jurassic Park (my 1st pin from 2004)
- Johnny Mnemonic #0001
- Johnny Mnemonic Whitewood

#36 3 years ago

Possibly my Pin Bot falls into this category. I think I have owned it since 1992 so really how much more do you need to play it? It's in decent shape maybe better.

However, it does get some play and guests really like this pin especially young ones. It really has good sound ,the topper lights are great, it's a challenge but it's the only pin I own that I can beat, so I've kept it.

#37 3 years ago

Sometimes its the fear of regret, that causes me to keep a game.
Mostly, if I beat it with regularity, I get bored, and off it goes.
Trying to keep only games that kick my ass is a challenge.

Like my TZ. I dont play it much now, but I fear Ill never find another, I know so well,
and have tweaked so well.

I dont anticipate ever selling, but if the price is right.....I suppose I can be motivated.

#38 3 years ago

Same for me, I have my Funhouse and I play it very rarely but I bought it from original owner with all matching numbers, etc and is a cream puff and would be very difficult to replace for $$ I have in it but probably for the right $$$ I would highly consider!

#39 3 years ago

Out of the 30+ games that I own I don't play at least half of them on a regular basis. I rarely sell games though. Guess I'm an unapologetic hoarder!

20 of my games are at our warehouse and others play them when they stop by, so the games do get played. I guess that's good enough for me so I don't feel guilty for holding on to them.

Terry

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I know this for a fact.

Because you're a rich person!

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Because you're a rich person!

Yeah...us music teachers are friggin' loaded.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Music teacher? I was thinking more like Mr Hand.

image_(resized).jpeg

#43 3 years ago

Even with 30 machines now, if there is one that is not getting played, I get to fixing it right away so we can rock and roll. I like to be able to play them all! I wouldn't own a machine that wasn't getting played. Unfortunately I have also sold games that were getting lots of play, but only have room for so many.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh? Trust fund then?

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

They are all expendable.

th_(resized).jpg

#46 3 years ago

once I develop avoidance issues i move them out. kinda like girlfriends

#47 3 years ago

I don't think I'll ever sell my LOTR. But this is a great question for discussion. I often felt I'd never sell any of my vids, but when I needed room, one had to go. TRON had the most beautiful cabinet but man the game is a stinker and no fun to play. So I got back what I put into it. I often times think I'll sell my Fix it Felix JR, but then I get worried that I'll regret that and never find another Disney original as nice as mine. But I never play the game.

I see this machines as part game / part art. And as some have said, they are just nice to look at.

#48 3 years ago

The poll is nearly a 50/50 split. Good to know that I am not alone

#49 3 years ago

I've got an Ice Revue that I don't play and won't sell. My dad found it for me, so it's got sentimental value. Other than that, I think everything else has a sell it price.

#50 3 years ago

I'm generally playing only a couple pins at a time heavily. Usually, my newest one and maybe one other that I rotate around on from my collection. I might not play a game for a while and then go back to it. For me, that keeps things fresh and I don't burn out on a game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside