(Topic ID: 214970)

Pins that have been produced with themes too late.

By o-din

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jackd104
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-2 (resized).jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Another thread from this morning got me thinking.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-that-should-have-been-produced-and-now-are-too-late

So are there any pinball machines that were made where the themes that were chosen were too late?

#2 6 years ago

Rollergames?

Did the show stop before the pin was released -- 1990?

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Rollergames?

Did the show stop before the pin was released -- 1990?

Rollergames show aired for one season 1989-1990 and the game was released in the summer of 1990, so yes it was a tad too late.

#5 6 years ago

The hobbit was announced to coincide w the movies and finally shipped 4 years later.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Most of the WPC movie licenses?

Johnny Mnemonic movie was released end of May of 1995 and the machine was released early August of the same year, so not all that late.

#7 6 years ago

WOZ came out a few years after the movie

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

WOZ came out a few years after the movie

And POTC will come out anyway.

#9 6 years ago

An older machine that comes to mind is Eager Beaver. It came out in 1965 w/ production number of around 1300.
    It's a shame it didn't come out in the early 50's. People around the world were glad WW2 was over, eager to get on with living their lives, enjoying life, raising families, working hard, buying consumer products, playing hard, etc.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

An older machine that comes to mind is Eager Beaver. It came out in 1965 w/ production number of around 1300.

I was very young at the time, but it seems there were plenty of beavers that were eager in the mid 60s.

#11 6 years ago

Stern Rolling Stones.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

Stern Rolling Stones.

Even the Bally version was a little too late.

#13 6 years ago

Ghostbusters

#14 6 years ago

Really? No one...?

Iron F*&^ing Maiden

#15 6 years ago

BM66

#16 6 years ago

Maybe I should have asked which pinball machines were produced with a theme not too late.

#20 6 years ago

Twilight Zone. Great show/game and was in syndication at the time but still over three decades late.

#21 6 years ago

No fear missed it’s peak by a couple years

#22 6 years ago

Nostalgia is different than too late.

Tz is nostalgia.
    Bm66 is nostalgia.
    Hobbit is too late.
    Jjp ITV is too late.

All imho.

#23 6 years ago

Oy! Most of these themes, if they are true will be too late... Munsters, The Beatles, Toy Story. They’ll still sell, but not in the numbers if they were ‘fresh’.

#24 6 years ago

Surprised nobody's mentioned Star Wars yet. Even the Data East version was too late.

#25 6 years ago

Gotg

#26 6 years ago

The Big Lebowski in more ways than one

#27 6 years ago

#baffle-ball obvs

#28 6 years ago

Predator

#29 6 years ago

50 year anniversary of Thunderbirds was 2015 which is what the original unedited sales flyer alluded to.

I'm sure they should be shipping any day now to still cash in on that.

#30 6 years ago

Jetsons
    Flintstones
    Dirty Harry

#31 6 years ago

"Rockmakers"?

#32 6 years ago

Rockmaker, rockmaker, make me a rock, find me a stone, catch me a boulder.....

#33 6 years ago

JJ POTC because its not nearly as big of a license as it once was. Stern WWE came out too late as the 90s were big for wrestling. JJ WOZ was perfect for nostalgia so i wouldn't call that too late at all. Actually being the first for JJ and the first big screen pin makes a whole lot of sense.

#34 6 years ago

Every one of the Stern band-themed machines, with the slightly possible exception of Metallica.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Every one of the Stern band-themed machines, with the slightly possible exception of Metallica.

You want a Taylor Swift pin ?

I think the Sterns band pins currently fall under the nostalgia category, not the too late category.

HOWEVER, I think Stern needs a Tom Petty pinball and... because of his very unfortunate death... if they don't have it soon then it will be too late.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

I think the Sterns band pins currently fall under the nostalgia category, not the too late category.

Nostalgia means longing for the past. Not dwelling in it.

I think building $6k - $10k monuments to something that happened 30-40 years ago when it could have been done at that time or any time since then, is more like way too late.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Nostalgia means longing for the past. Not dwelling in it.
    I think building $6k - $10k monuments to something that happened 30-40 years ago when it could have been done at that time or any time since then, is more like way too late.

I'm going with "wistful affection for the past" as my nostalgia definition. Or, as an example, 50 year old with discretionary money will buy these band pins because it reminds them of great times from their youth --- nostalgia.

I agree with you in that, for someone who doesn't give a donkey about the band, these band pins are well past their prime.

#38 6 years ago

Batman came out two years after the 1989 movie, but may have been good advertising for the sequel coming out the following year.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

You want a Taylor Swift pin ?

Would a Madonna, Wham, or Michael Jackson be more to your liking? They were the biggest pop stars of the bygone era some of you seem to like.

#40 6 years ago

Tna as it's been 73yrs since we bombed japan

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

"Monuments to the Past" would make a sneaky-good band name.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

"Monuments to the Past" would make a sneaky-good band name.

It would also make a great sub-forum for new machines on this website.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It would also make a great sub-forum for new machines on this website.

Or a great tagline for Stern: Stern Pinball - Monuments to the Past.

I kid.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Batman came out two years after the 1989 movie, but may have been good advertising for the sequel coming out the following year.

The DMD advertises Batman Returns coming to theaters. Not a bad idea, Batman Returns was probably early in production when they started designing DE Batman.

#45 6 years ago

caveman was anither game a few years too late

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

caveman was anither game a few years too late

Not quite as late as this one. But I do give it credit for inspiring a lot of the band pins of today.

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

The DMD advertises Batman Returns coming to theaters. Not a bad idea, Batman Returns was probably early in production when they started designing DE Batman.

They probably got the license cheaper in 1991 than they would have in 1989. WB must have considered it a good promotional tool.

#48 6 years ago

6M$M came out just after the TV show had been canceled. I was a big fan of both the show and pinball, and when I saw the pin I thought "Why'd they make this? That show is gone." Maybe it lived on in reruns in some markets but not where I lived.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Twilight Zone. Great show/game and was in syndication at the time but still over three decades late.

This was based on the CBS remake. It was still a few years late though.

#50 6 years ago

Every stern since at least 2000.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-that-have-been-produced-with-themes-way-too-late/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.