You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-5.jpeg
33.jpg
68941_10151541581829244_732484979_n.jpg
Metallica-MOP_webready.jpg
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago

I'd say I like about 60 % of the top 100 on this site better than MM. Most over rated game ever!! It's fun,but not that fun. AC/DC LE is better in every way. Shit,Champion Pub is more fun IMO.

#52 10 years ago

Pins better than MM:

TZ
AFM
MB
LOTR
TSPP
Tron
AC/DC
TAF
STTNG
IJ
JD
Tommy
JP
GNR
TFTC
Goldeneye
DH
BSD

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Pins better than MM:
TZ
AFM
MB
LOTR
TSPP
Tron
AC/DC
TAF
STTNG
IJ
JD
Tommy
JP
GNR
TFTC
Goldeneye
DH
BSD

Aren't you the one who rated MM at 1.5 before just to bring it's overall rating down (per your own admission)?

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Aren't you the one who rated MM at 1.5 before just to bring it's overall rating down

Hahaha no

I rated it 5.5 before all the MM fanboys had a fit.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Hahaha no
I rated it 5.5 before all the MM fanboys had a fit.

It's at least a 6.0

#56 10 years ago

I currently have it at 7.1

#57 10 years ago

TZ - Very deep ruleset, somewhat hard to get into but after all a terrific game!

MB - Fantastic artwork, great sounds, lots of fun to play.

CC - The bad guy..., shoot the bad guy!!!

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Pins better than MM:
TZ
AFM
MB
LOTR
TSPP
Tron
AC/DC
TAF
STTNG
IJ
JD
Tommy
JP
GNR
TFTC
Goldeneye
DH
BSD

Goldeneye???? Really Goldeneye???......

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Goldeneye???? Really Goldeneye???......

I almost said the exact same thing with Dirty Harry. LOL. To each their own, I prefer XMen to MM and I'm sure the majority of people think I'm nuts. I like MM too, there are just some games I enjoy more.

#60 10 years ago

I think if I could have any pin and price wasn't a factor....and I couldn't resell it. I would probably say:

#1 AFM
#2 MM
#3 MB

That's a pretty cheesy top 3 since all 3 games are in the "crazy price" price range, but I honestly like all 3 better than any other games I have played. I would put MB #1 if I were just going with theme and rules (but not depth), but I like AFM and MM playfield layout better. I like the AFM layout a bit better than MM, but I do like the trolls on MM quite a bit. As far as the castle toy and many people thinking it's the greatest toy ever...I'm not impressed. Not that I don't think it's a fine toy...I just don't think it adds much.

Spider-Man would also be very close to Monster Bash...maybe a tie. I like SM layout and rules better, but I like the MB theme better.

So my answer to the question that the thread asks...I'll say AFM.

#61 10 years ago

I liked AFM best before I got my MM and I still like it the best after.

If you are not considering the cash value that is.

If pricepoint is brought into it the answer changes very drastically.

#62 10 years ago

All things equal in terms of price and quantity, I would take TZ over MM. I say that because if price was a non-factor, I would still consider a trade of MM for any of my games but, on TZ I would say no thanks.

I also think there are many who would love to see MM lose its Pinside #1 ranking and is why the threads are started.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That might be the dumbest thing I've read on Pinside. Ever.

Most people have learned and perfected the fine art of disagreeing with other's opinions without being disagreeable assholes. Sorry RobT, but you're not one of them...
Doc

#64 10 years ago

ACDC, Tron, Spiderman, Lotr, all are as good, if not better, and they all cost less than half of a MM. Probably going to be in better condition too. MM is a fine game, but it really puts that game in to perspective when you can have two of the games above, or that one.

#65 10 years ago

I think MM is the best game of the DMD era. I've played virtually all of them extensively and owned quite a few. Still think MM is the best, most complete package. It's good for newbs and seasoned players, great theme, great art, humor, super toys, etc.

Other DMD-era games that come close in my opinion are AC/DC LE/Premium, Attack From Mars, and Twilight Zone.

#66 10 years ago

I really like MM but there is no way I am going to buy one for the prices they are. 2 newer better Sterns is way better for the money!

#67 10 years ago

I could come up with about 80 games better than MM. Don't feel like typing them all out.

But top of the list for C titles that dwarf MM is.

Gottlieb Super Soccer (EM)
Jurassic Park
Atlantis (bally)
Swords of Fury
Stargate
Batman Forever
Starship troopers
Phantom Of the Opera
Tommy
Shadow
Farfalla
Revenge from Mars
and the list goes on and on and on. Hence why I only kept MM for about 3 or 4 months. When I can buy 7-10 of these games that are superior for the same price. If I had room for 100 games, MM would probably make the cut, but that's about it.

#68 10 years ago

Its no secret I hate MM and AFM. Games are to 1 dimensional for my taste. MM is very gimmicky. Stands on shock and awe so to speak. Once that has worn of its just a generic Williams game. Shadow was Eddies best.

As are dear friend WAYN-O used to say. Midi-Evil-Madness sucks.

#69 10 years ago

Are people picking games that are not even finished yet? Come on.

#70 10 years ago

Brian Eddy made some of the most sought after pins, why he isn't commissioned to come back and make another remains a mystery.

Black Rose is another Eddy pin...you sink ships in a similar fashion to AFM/MM...fun stuff for around 2 grand.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I prefer XMen to MM and I'm sure the majority of people think I'm nuts.

Hey, I certainly don't think you are "nuts" for thinking this Tiger. I think "bat shit crazy" would be a more accurate description.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from Doc:

Most people have learned and perfected the fine art of disagreeing with other's opinions without being disagreeable assholes. Sorry RobT, but you're not one of them...
Doc

edited

#73 10 years ago

I thought I would chime in here as a newbie. I have not had a chance to play a ton of pins yet, but I finally got a chance to play MM yesterday. I found a MM and a SS in a bar a few miles away and put about 5 bucks in each of them. Here is what I thought:

I started with MM and I was really excited that I had found such a popular title, my expectations were pretty high. First off, the condition was poor. Very little lighting, the castle "moving toppers" were broke, only one troll would pop up, out-lanes were adjusted all the way open, pops slings and flippers were very dead, and the angle was WAY too steep. But I was not gonna let the condition deter me from enjoying this title. First thing I noticed was that I really liked the call-outs, but the music was terrible. I thought the drawbridge idea was very neat and well done, but I think the repetition of beating against the castle over and over again would become dull. The little "jump" target to the left of the castle over the moat is a very cool idea! But overall that is about the extent of the features I found to be exciting. The only thing that sets this pin apart from any other is the "charm", it is a very good theme with average game play elements. I have played many more titles that have held my interest better.

As for the SS, it was also in pretty poor condition. I wont go into detail about this title since it is off topic, but lets just say that I enjoyed this one JUST as much as MM. My only problem is that one of my balls got caught in the crate and wouldn't let go...I have like 3 credits left! Oh well.

#74 10 years ago

There is many games, IMO that are way more bang for your buck. That being said, there is no denying that MM is nothing shy of a master piece. Far from a flavor of the day.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Doc:

Doc

No offense Robt, but that is the funniest post on this whole thread

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from Wickedquickss:

No offense Robt, but that is the funniest post on this whole thread

It's pretty funny, but I thought his original statement about MM being "flavor of the day" was even funnier!

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

"flavor of the day"

Today, yesterday, the day before that, and all the way back to day one.

#78 10 years ago

AFM and TOTAN.

#79 10 years ago

spiderman

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Goldeneye???? Really Goldeneye???....

OK, maybe a little too harsh, but GE does have better use of magnets than MM.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from surfnrg:

I get the whole beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. but fishtales?? Sorry, no way... I like fishtales..its a fun game... but it's not even in the ballpark. I dont even feel that is my opinion..but fact.

Correct. This is not just your opinion. It is cold, hard fact. I believe you're providing a sound, logical arguments, which is possible because fun can be measured objectively. Fun is in no way a subjective thing.
</sarcasm>

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

OK, maybe a little too harsh, but GE does have better use of magnets than MM.

MM has magnets?
Edit - Is your statement inferring that MM has magnets?

Post edited by Skulz : Confusion!

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Brian Eddy made some of the most sought after pins, why he isn't commissioned to come back and make another remains a mystery.
Black Rose is another Eddy pin...you sink ships in a similar fashion to AFM/MM...fun stuff for around 2 grand.

Trudeau designed Black Rose, Eddy did the software.

#84 10 years ago

Lets face it. MM is a great machine. It has been that way since it came out.
The only reason another machine can be better than it is price point.
You can get 4 or 5 nice machines for the price of a really nice MM.
If the MM was priced like most of the others we would be all over it!

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Lets face it. MM is a great machine. It has been that way since it came out.
The only reason another machine can be better than it is price point.
You can get 4 or 5 nice machines for the price of a really nice MM.
If the MM was priced like most of the others we would be all over it!

Agree with this. If you had MM and Totan, dare I say you wouldnt need too many other pins. And you would have the cream of the crop. Then as CapnNeo says, fill in the "c" list for variety, but I see them as A list pins or diamonds in the rough imho.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Reeces pieces are better than MM's. oh did i read this wrong?

Did you know that M&M's were asked to be "the candy" in E.T. and they said no; they figured the movie wasn't going to be popular and didn't want their product in a visibly poor movie.

Reese's all the way!

#87 10 years ago

The castle is an exceptionel pinball toy in my book. Maybe the best one ever. With the drawbridge, two gates and moat and how it all contributes to the gameplay. Adding the mechanical animation it doesn't get much better.

Also the speech dialog and recording is some of the best seen ever.

But the price it fetches is demand and availabillity.

#88 10 years ago

You guys underestimate the innovation & careful design that went into Mick on a Stick in the Rolling Stones machine.

MM is just more of the same Zzzzzzz

But on TRS when you see that lifelike Mick dance across the playfield... You know Stern upped their game BIG TIME

#89 10 years ago

MM is far from cream of the crop. I'd take a TAF or TZ over MM any day (if value was the same for each). CV , TOTAN and GNR are also better A picks. They have much more to offer than MM has. TZ is almost a perfectly designed and playing pinball machine. Has so much to offer all around. at least 72% more to do than MM has in terms of shots, toys, modes and all around diversity and fun. The only reason TAF and TZ isn't valued higher than MM, is because they made 5X's more of them. If they made only 4600 TZ's and TAF's. the price would be way above and beyond MM's prices.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

MM is far from cream of the crop. I'd take a TAF or TZ over MM any day (if value was the same for each). CV , TOTAN and GNR are also better A picks. They have much more to offer than MM has. TZ is almost a perfectly designed and playing pinball machine. Has so much to offer all around. at least 72% more to do than MM has in terms of shots, toys, modes and all around diversity and fun. The only reason TAF and TZ isn't valued higher than MM, is because they made 5X's more of them. If they made only 4600 TZ's and TAF's. the price would be way above and beyond MM's prices.

You sure it isn't 68%??? Maybe 47%??? Best thing about TZ is there is ample time to eat lunch while playing.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You sure it isn't 68%??? Maybe 47%??? Best thing about TZ is there is ample time to eat lunch while playing.

I almost bought a really nice TZ once....

But I had enough time thinking about it between shots, that I was able to talk myself out of it.

#92 10 years ago

Come on guys, don't be so hard on TZ. It's cool to have a pin that allows you to have time for other hobbies, like oil painting, while you're waiting for the ball to come back to you from the subterranean caverns that lurk beneath the playfield.

Some say when you're shopping TZ out, if you yell your name into the slot machine scoop, you can hear an echo.

#93 10 years ago

Well, you are all wrong! According to the latest Top 100, it is Metallica!

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Come on guys, don't be so hard on TZ. It's cool to have a pin that allows you to have time for other hobbies, like oil painting, while you're waiting for the ball to come back to you from the subterranean caverns that lurk beneath the playfield.
Some say when you're shopping TZ out, if you yell your name into the slot machine scoop, you can hear an echo.

That's hilarious!

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from Doc:

That JM trade + $ thread inspired me to come up with this thread..which pins do you think are better than the flavor-of-the-day MM ? I can speak through experience since I've owned 3 MM's back in the day. NEVER regretted selling them as they 'didn't do it for me'. Believe it or not, the deal-breaker on MM for me was the background music. It was just too overdone, IMO.Anyway, I'll chime in and start with BSD. It's a "C-lister" price wise but what a game! Has much longer appeal than MM. Deep rule set and on a good day you might break a billion.There are (many) others that trump MM , but let's hear from you guys.Doc

CC is the one I don't get. Back to your question though, MM is my favorite of any pin I ever played and I will add one to the collection one day. Should have bought one back in the day when they were 'reasonable'.

#96 10 years ago

Tron! for some reason it just doesn't get old, not a deep game or a long game, but has a long term fun factor better than just about any other. Monster Bash is another masterpiece sure to keep players happy! good luck not going broke owning one

#97 10 years ago

Tron! for some reason it just doesn't get old, not a deep game or a long game, but has a long term fun factor better than just about any other. Monster Bash is another masterpiece sure to keep players happy! good luck not going broke owning one

#98 10 years ago

sorry! double post!

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Doc:

RobT said:
That might be the dumbest thing I've read on Pinside. Ever.

Doc

Doc:

Don't take it personally. "Flavor of the whatever-time-period" just really doesn't apply to MM or games of that ilk. It has always been highly sought after.

But it does apply to say IronMan which had sat in oblivion for years and for the past half year has become in demand. Or you'll see games like Creech or Johnny Mneumonic or BSD suddenly get pushed to the forefront.

Everyone takes a little heat when they are new. Rob is a good guy.

Dan

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Doc:
Don't take it personally. "Flavor of the whatever-time-period" just really doesn't apply to MM or games of that ilk. It has always been highly sought after.
But it does apply to say IronMan which had sat in oblivion for years and for the past half year has become in demand. Or you'll see games like Creech or Johnny Mneumonic or BSD suddenly get pushed to the forefront.
Everyone takes a little heat when they are new. Rob is a good guy.
Dan

Stated like a gentleman...yea, maybe I did judge him a bit hard...

Doc

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-that-are-actually-better-than-mm/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.