(Topic ID: 132417)

Pins taken to conventions and tournaments considered HUO???

By J_Striker

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are pinball machines used in conventions or tournaments still considered HUO?”

• Yes 87 votes
      44%
    • No 113 votes
      57%

(200 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    catrs.jpg
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

new sterns cant be reset, lifetime plays cant be erased....
    well, unless you replace the board that holds that memory.

Is this just for Spike systems or SAM as well? I thought the plays got erased at each code update.

#53 8 years ago

Well, guess that's that then. I'm going to stop taking my games to shows because some jackass buyer might get butthurt that my NIB game had less plays over a 3 day period on it than it did in my living room. So now, I can't remove the goodie bag, I can't share my games, I can't take them to shows, and I can't play them. Awesome.

#54 8 years ago

A HUO game doesn't have to be perfect. A game with 10 plays might have a really faded cab. A game with a beat shooter lane might have a great play field. A game with lock down bar holes might overall have a great cabinet.

There are tons of indicators that might mean one thing or another. By itself, HUO is meaningless. It's a piece of the puzzle when determining the condition of the game.

HUO by itself should do nothing for your expectations. Sunlight in a house can ruin a cab a lot more than a well taken care of game in a dark non smoking bar.

HUO is HOME USE ONLY. If your game was at a convention, a bar, a church, it is not HUO. This actually isn't debatable. If you think the game that you took to a convention, moved, and had played more in 3 days than it would have been played in 3 years is home use only please let us know so we know who not to buy games from.

Quoted from J_Striker:

When you purchase a pin that says huo and it is getting shipped you have high expectations for condition.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

played more in 3 days than it would have been played in 3 years

If you're only playing 500 games in 3 years on your games, I've got to ask why the hell you even bother keeping them.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

BTW- some home owners smoke, drink, party in their house and dont keep their games shopped or take care of them.
    so the term HUO is useless.
    what matters is number of plays and condition.
    id take a ROUTE game over a HUO game any day if it was taken care of properly (like mine)

I don't think you can "shop" a game at home. Unless your home is also a shop.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

I don't think you can "shop" a game at home. Unless your home is also a shop.

This makes no sense at all

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

This makes no sense at all

Kind of like this whole thread. I think he's just deliberately pointing out the ridiculousness of the terms that people choose to get attached to when they have absolutely NO relevance to the actual thing.

I.e. routed games that look brand new vs. a "HUO" that looks like garbage.... "shopped" is a commandeered term that is related to taking a game back to the shop to fix it up, but a lot of us don't even have "shops" to "shop out" a game in.

#59 8 years ago

You do it at home, it's a "home job", not a " shop job". Unless you happen to be running a pinball service shop outo of your home. If you tell people you are taking your car to the shop and drive it into your own garage...

Just pointing out that it's all nonsense and meaningless.

#60 8 years ago

I don't know what kind of shows you go to, but a guy who went to the local show posted that his Medusa had 842 plays during the 3 days show. And that's not exactly the most popular machine out there.

Quoted from Frax:

If you're only playing 500 games in 3 years on your games, I've got to ask why the hell you even bother keeping them.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Kind of like this whole thread. I think he's just deliberately pointing out the ridiculousness of the terms that people choose to get attached to when they have absolutely NO relevance to the actual thing.
    I.e. routed games that look brand new vs. a "HUO" that looks like garbage.... "shopped" is a commandeered term that is related to taking a game back to the shop to fix it up, but a lot of us don't even have "shops" to "shop out" a game in.

Ah, I get it now. Thanks.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I don't know what kind of shows you go to, but a guy who went to the local show posted that his Medusa had 842 plays during the 3 days show. And that's not exactly the most popular machine out there.

User error, or other aberration such as being in an Xpin booth?

My games go to Texas Pinball Festival, which should be obvious by my location? Unless his game was at CAX or Pinburgh, not sure I'd take that without a grain of salt. My audits from TPF largely mirror what other people have echoed about their games, which is generally in the range of 400-650 plays depending on the era of game and how tricked out it is.

Medusa is a rarer game that people would seek out, so I might expect slightly higher numbers, but not on the order of 20%+

#63 8 years ago

I've played many routed pins that are completely beautiful and dialed in, and I have played recently NIB pins that are just not properly broken in.

If you really want to get technical I could argue that having league events and big parties where large numbers of the "public" get to play games in your home it's easily equivalent to bringing to a show. If you want museum pieces, keep them behind glass. Otherwise games will get played by actual people, and condition is king, no other tags are applicable.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

My games go to Texas Pinball Festival, which should be obvious by my location? Unless his game was at CAX or Pinburgh, not sure I'd take that without a grain of salt. My audits from TPF largely mirror what other people have echoed about their games, which is generally in the range of 400-650 plays depending on the era of game and how tricked out it is.
    Medusa is a rarer game that people would seek out, so I might expect slightly higher numbers, but not on the order of 20%+

That is my Medusa (842 plays) at this years Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown. Delta Queen (528 plays)and Aztec (472 plays) No user error here.....

image.jpgimage.jpg

#65 8 years ago

I have brought some HUO games to shows, along with some other games that looked pretty nice, too. They got played like crazy, highest total was 1038 games on my Frontier at Chicago Expo a number of years ago. If you go to sell your game and it is really nice, it will sell without a problem, HUO or not. Otherwise, who cares if someone still thinks it is HUO? Losing that silly HUO title won't stop me from bringing a HUO game to a show.

#66 8 years ago

Or maybe Frax error? His EM's were getting around 500 plays.

Quoted from Frax:

Quoted from 5280wzrd:

That is my Medusa (842 plays) at this years Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown. Delta Queen (528 plays)and Aztec (472 plays) No user error here.....

#67 8 years ago

What if you live at your arcade?

Are they not ALL then HUO?

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

What if you live at your arcade?
    Are they not ALL then HUO?

Nope. The games are still made available to the general public on a daily basis and will get "route play" even in your ramshackle game room home.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Nope. The games are still made available to the general public on a daily basis and will get "route play" even in your ramshackle game room home.

Sigh... apparently I forgot the smiley face on my post...

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Sigh... apparently I forgot the smiley face on my post...

ZOOM! Right over my head! I figured it was sarcasm, but a similar sentiment was posted earlier so I bit. My mistake.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

ZOOM! Right over my head! I figured it was sarcasm, but a similar sentiment was posted earlier so I bit. My mistake.

No worries.... hey, when I was kid I practically *DID* live in an arcade, so it wasnt that far off!

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

No worries.... hey, when I was kid I practically *DID* live in an arcade, so it wasnt that far off!

In all the arcades I worked at, total of 5 different companies, I've had to sleep overnight in 4 companies' locations. It's an odd sound.. being in there with everything *off*..

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Or maybe Frax error? His EM's were getting around 500 plays.

If I implied that number for Crescendo, I didn't mean to. I certainly have no idea how much it was played at TPF -this- year. In fact, I didn't take exact count of any of my games this year, because it was totally irrelevant. Juist like the guy that bought my STTNG didn't give a single crap how many plays were on it, nor did the guy that bought my Jackbot that had newly cleared PF on it...not a single person asked me "Hey bro, are these HUO....how many plays do they have on them?"

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-taken-to-conventions-and-tournaments-considered-huo/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.