6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th-1.jpeg
    th.jpeg

#1 6 years ago

My wife saw some pins on the History channel on Monday night. She thought it was on American Pickers or Pawn Stars. She said they had Wizard and Kings & Queens and others. She recorded a later showing and it ended up being Pawn Stars but it didn't have any pins in it. It wasn't the Pinball Mania one that I saw last year. Anybody else happen to catch this episode so that I could figure out what it was on?

#2 6 years ago

I believe the pickers looked at a batch of pins..i think they bought an ali and or charlies angels

#3 6 years ago

Yup' like Cosmo said above. One episode they picked the 'Coin-Op Kings' and Frank bought some oldtyme peek*a-boo games and lost money.~SpOoKy

#4 6 years ago

I remember seeing a couple guys come up with a Stern Dracula on one of those shows. Maybe the storage locker one. Too bad people seldom leave a NIB BBB in one of those things....

#5 6 years ago

They only buy the really wrecked machines anyway to flip for a very small profit.

#6 6 years ago

The Pinball Mania episode was filmed in Jasper, TX, where the Ali and Charlies Angels was picked up by American Pickers.

I had picked up the remaining of the pinball machines. I have sold some of them as projects and kept some for myself to work on. I'm working on/or will on of what I have left at this time..Buck Rogers, Solar Ride, Hotdoggin', Stern Dracula, Bad Cats, Flash Gordon, Nitro GroundShaker, Paragon (going to a friend), Pokerino (going to another friend), Space Invaders, and Time Warp.
    Many of them were not in great shape, but I am hoping some will be brought back to life.

#7 6 years ago

I know nothing about the Pinball Mania episode.

#8 6 years ago

I no like that show.

#9 6 years ago

Cool, I will have to check out. I do remember a couple episodes over the years where they talk about selling some interesting titles for mega bucks. I enjoy trying to see what I could find one for.

#10 6 years ago

I wonder if my TV still works.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

About the only time I watch mine is for Football. Training camp opens in 15 DAYS!!!!!!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

B&w or color?

#13 6 years ago

I enjoy watching all of those shows but I am also aware that they are all fake staged entertainment. And they are usually clueless when it comes to pinballs.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

I know nothing about the Pinball Mania episode

Don't hold back. Tell us what you know

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Don't hold back. Tell us what you know

We have ways to make you talk.

#16 6 years ago

What do you want to know?
    I was on that episode. I was the guy that appraised the pile of crap "Stanley Cup" game they pulled out of the barn.

Their producer so much wanted me to say it was worth more than $500. Couldn't do it. The game was a turd. I appraised it at $200.

#17 6 years ago

I believe he was on there to appraise a Irving Kaye Hockey game during the Texas Pinball Festival. It was nice to see a game get a true value assessment on the show.

The show is not perfect but I really do enjoy watching it. If anything it's just fun to see all of the cool old stuff. It seems like Frank becomes more of a weasel every episode though. My wife groans when he low balls. If an item is worth $1000 and the guy selling asks $200. Frank will say I was thinking $150. We were amazed when he tried to pocket the extra toy motorcycle a couple weeks back.
    Alex

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I believe he was on there to appraise a Irving Kaye Hockey game during the Texas Pinball Festival. It was nice to see a game get a true value assessment on the show.
    The show is not perfect but I really do enjoy watching it. If anything it's just fun to see all of the cool old stuff. It seems like Frank becomes more of a weasel every episode though. My wife groans when he low balls. If an item is worth $1000 and the guy selling asks $200. Frank will say I was thinking $150. We were amazed when he tried to pocket the extra toy motorcycle a couple weeks back.
    Alex

if it was filmed, I'm sure it was staged. No one is that stupid

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

It seems like Frank becomes more of a weasel every episode though. My wife groans when he low balls. If an item is worth $1000 and the guy selling asks $200. Frank will say I was thinking $150. We were amazed when he tried to pocket the extra toy motorcycle a couple weeks back.
    Alex

Frank is a shit bag. I met him at TPF when they were filming and man what an ass, he actually turned me off from watching the show for about a year. Mike on the other hand I met a few minutes later and he was awesome.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I had picked up the remaining of the pinball machines.

Cool. I was discouraged when I saw the show, since the pickers guys were so obviously clueless but intent on sounding knowledgeable. Glad that someone with a clue got the other pins.

#21 6 years ago

I was on that episode. I was the guy that appraised the pile of crap "Stanley Cup" game they pulled out of the barn.

Very cool!

What do you want to know?

How much was staged besides them wanting you to appraise the pin higher?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

B&w or color?

I've got a color set, but I turn the color all the way down so I can watch everything in B+W.
    And my phone has a dial.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Very cool!

How much was staged besides them wanting you to appraise the pin higher?

1. I never talked to Danielle, that was staged. Never spoke a word to her. Producers arranged my appraisal.
    2. Frank and Mike pulled up in a BMW. Did not drive the Antique Apparatus Van. The only time they got in the van was to film a scene with them backing it up to the door (see below).
    3. Game didn't even arrive in the Antique Apparatus van for the shoot. The camera crew brought it from the back of a U-Haul truck.
    4. Camera crew lifted the game out of the back of the Uhaul and set it down about 10' feet from where we did the shoot. Mike and Frank only lifted the game for the final 10' to the area we did the shoot at. Watching the episode you would think Mike and Frank drove the Antique Apparatus Van to the show and unloaded it themselves.
    5. The whole scene on the episode where Mike is backing up the van and Frank is directing him how far to back up. That was also staged for the show. This whole scene was done after the entire scene inside was shot. It was actually the last scene filmed.

...staged...yeah a bit.
    Frank knows nothing. Earlier in that episode he said that Ali is one of the most valuable pinball machines of all time, stating this fact with a Bally Playboy behind his shoulder. A nice Playboy can fetch up to almost $3K. Can't say I've seen an Ali bring more than $1200 on a good day.

#24 6 years ago

...staged...yeah a bit.

Very funny. I figured a lot was staged but didn't know that much was. Thanks for the inside look.

#25 6 years ago

I love when those guys on tv come across a pin and say how much they are worth. They almost always get burned.

#26 6 years ago

What about the other episode with the " coin-op kings" who had the carnival rides? Staged... of course, but those guys had a very nice collection. ~SpOoKy

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Frank is a shit bag. I met him at TPF when they were filming and man what an ass, he actually turned me off from watching the show for about a year.

Marc--what are the details on that again?

IIRC in a post of yours somewhere, you mentioned he basically came into the empty pin hall and played your MM--then, when you simply asked him some innocuous question, he basically gave you a Go To Hell Look, never said a word, and scurried off in a huff?

#28 6 years ago

Wasn't that the same episode (Texas warehouse) where Frank came across as a pinball no-it-all and said games from old tv series are worth quite a bit or something like that. He was referring to Six Million Dollar Man & Dolly Parton em's. Both unshopped in that episode were probably worth $400 - $500 tops.

#29 6 years ago

If the pickers come knocking at my door, I'll point them to the house next to me.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Marc--what are the details on that again?
    IIRC in a post of yours somewhere, you mentioned he basically came into the empty pin hall and played your MM--then, when you simply asked him some innocuous question, he basically gave you a Go To Hell Look, never said a word, and scurried off in a huff?

The post was in the Member Pics thread. Yep, that is pretty much how it went down.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Frank is a shit bag. I met him at TPF when they were filming and man what an ass, he actually turned me off from watching the show for about a year. Mike on the other hand I met a few minutes later and he was awesome.

Interesting to hear someone confirm my own impressions from watching the show. I'd be happy to deal with Mike, but I wouldn't want to sell anything to Frank.

#32 6 years ago

Used to like that show until hassellcastle ruinedit for me lol

Figured the storylines they show between picks was scripted but even the picks are prearranged. Hate that.

Saw them buy a Roy Clark cocktail pin on one episode. Thought it was cool cause I used to own one.

#33 6 years ago

haha only in America......wonder if they go picking in their beamer

#34 6 years ago

haha only in America.

th.jpeg th-1.jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 19.95
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 179.99
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside