(Topic ID: 36519)

Pins for parts costs, you pay the shipping?

By APOLLO_13

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pafasa
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gift-red-white-icon.png
    100_1633.jpg
    100_1648.jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Hey all, I don't think this is too far fetched, not the story, but my idea and what to do with them...

I met a really cool person tonight at a local hang out and he owns a moving company and I guess he does mostly "clean outs", bank forclosures and people just needing to get rid of everything in a house ect. Anyway as we got to talking about it more he said he runs across pins all the time, for free... the last one he told me about was a lady that had several pins and a sit down driving game, and she said just take them, they were my husbands and I don't want them... I about fell on the floor when he said he only took 1 pin and the driving game. I gave him my number and told him if he happened across anymore to give me a call and I would gladly pay him for them, and he said no... if I get them for free I'll give them too you for free... hell of a deal I would say.

so my far fetched idea, or not is to get these machines, if they need repairs... make them, play them for awhile, and then pass them on for only what I have in them for parts... and if you can't come too me and pick them up you would pay the shipping. I think this might really help the over inflated pins pricing situation we find ourselves in these days... I of course wouldn't be able to push the idea of keeping that going... when your done just pass them on, but that would be kinda cool I think...

any thoughts on this?

#2 11 years ago

okay, well that went over like a fart in the place that I can't mention on the site
    I guess I'll figure out something too do with them if this happens... I'll keep what I can and sell the rest at market value or higher on ebay...

#3 11 years ago

Wow that would be very generous of you! Takes a pretty cool cat to do that. Can't wait till I make some connections like that. I'd definitely want to be in line for having some shipped to me. If no one else calls it I will!

It would be beyond cool to have some sort of pin trading circle too.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from mdelorenzo:

It would be beyond cool to have some sort of pin trading circle too

that was my thought... and somehow I didn't think it would take soo long too catch on lol

#5 11 years ago

No. That would be amazing. I think it's just too hard to believe that it would really work out that way? Would I love to e on the receiving end of this? Absolutely.

That said, what's to stop the next person in the chain from flipping for a profit.

How about this crazy idea: Etch into the bottom of the cabinet (yes, I propose harming the machine); "for fair sale price only" or better, etch into it who you sold it to and the cost. The next person must do the same, so you can keep track of the change of hands so you can help ensure the machine remains this sort of amazing piece of pay-it-forward generosity.

Anyway, I think it's dope. Kudos to you.

#6 11 years ago

if the guy I met keeps his end and calls me to come and get these as he finds them I'll do it if there are enough people who want in... but then agian I have 2 of you so I say "game on"

#7 11 years ago

I think it is a really good and cool idea. I have no idea how far Greenville is from me or how many pins you have in your area, but I'm in a pinball desert and literally have nowhere to play pins unless I buy them and ship them in. So just the thought of being able to play some to try them out and not have to invest a fortune sounds great. And I don't have a ton of room as it is, so knowing that it was temporary and that I'd pass it along is a nice thought. Right now I'm dependent on the other local Pinsider's leftovers, and I think he's slowly getting more expensive keepers.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

No. That would be amazing. I think it's just too hard to believe that it would really work out that way? Would I love to e on the receiving end of this? Absolutely.
    That said, what's to stop the next person in the chain from flipping for a profit.
    How about this crazy idea: Etch into the bottom of the cabinet (yes, I propose harming the machine); "for fair sale price only" or better, etch into it who you sold it to and the cost. The next person must do the same, so you can keep track of the change of hands so you can help ensure the machine remains this sort of amazing piece of pay-it-forward generosity.
    Anyway, I think it's dope. Kudos to you.

I think we would all like to be on the receiving end of this haha. I'm not sure how realistic such a thing is. Given the distance especially. Though I've already decided to pretty much only deal with pin side folks at better prices. I'd happily pay a finders fee and all that though.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I have no idea how far Greenville is from me

4 hrs away... not too bad for a free pin. I'm going to call him in a few days and talk some more with him, maybe invite him and his wife over to the house for some pin play... if this goes through I think it will be good for all.

#10 11 years ago

Man ill make the drive

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from mdelorenzo:

I'd happily pay a finders fee and all that though

I told him the same thing when he told me he finds them all the time... and he refused it, so I feel it's only fair too pass that along...

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from mdelorenzo:

I'm not sure how realistic such a thing is. Given the distance especially.

if you could get a pin for shipping only you wouldn't do it? that's cool...

#13 11 years ago

That's crazy how he runs into them a lot. Does he not realize how much he can make off of them? He's crazy but heck if the pins fall in good hands then that's even better

#14 11 years ago

This would be really cool if it pans out. I agree there would have to be some level of trust, but it'd be worth a shot. I'd be down for trying it.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from APOLLO_13:

if you could get a pin for shipping only you wouldn't do it? that's cool...

Oh that's not what I mean. I'd gladly drive the distance or pay for shipping, I just mean people trading around the machines.

#16 11 years ago

Whoops, wrong thread. heh!

/Nevermind

#17 11 years ago

To be honest with all of you, I really don't have any friends here where I live, and I can't store any more pins... if he comes through on this, and I have no reason to believe he won't, I couldn't think of a better way to "spread the wealth" for lack of a better term, and I know, at least I think I know, no one here would throw them off a building or anything. I would like to think if you got one of these for free you wouldn't "sell" them for profit, but maybe give it too a friend or loved one that would enjoy it and tell them how it came too be in your care, and if they would do the same if they got tired of it. I think it's worth a shot... oh, and thanks too all of you for being my pinball friends, it means a lot to me that your here.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from mdelorenzo:

Oh that's not what I mean. I'd gladly drive the distance or pay for shipping, I just mean people trading around the machines.

no harm

#19 11 years ago

I'd be in. I also live in an area where pins are extremely hard to come by, so a pin for the cost of shipping would be awesome. But what could we give back? Hand-crafted doilies?

#20 11 years ago

A noble idea, but I'm afraid one or two links down the chain it would be sold at full value. I don't see any object worth thousands being passed around on an honor system for long. However if you got a small number of people together as a group maybe.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

But what could we give back? Hand-crafted doilies?

when your done/ tired of it pass it on is all

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from APOLLO_13:

To be honest with all of you, I really don't have any friends here where I live, and I can't store any more pins... if he comes through on this, and I have no reason to believe he won't, I couldn't think of a better way to "spread the wealth" for lack of a better term, and I know, at least I think I know, no one here would throw them off a building or anything. I would like to think if you got one of these for free you wouldn't "sell" them for profit, but maybe give it too a friend or loved one that would enjoy it and tell them how it came too be in your care, and if they would do the same if they got tired of it. I think it's worth a shot... oh, and thanks too all of you for being my pinball friends, it means a lot to me that your here.

I wish I had local pinball buddies too. Its a very unique hobby. I feel you on the pinside love. I feel lost now that this site is blocked at work I'd be super pumped to gift to a friend if they seemed interested. That would be awesome.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

A noble idea, but I'm afraid one or two links down the chain it would be sold at full value. I don't see any object worth thousands being passed around on an honor system for long. However if you got a small number of people together as a group maybe.

Ya, I don't know how the whole thing would work and it may get corrupted down the line somewhere, but if I didn't pay anything for it, and you didn't pay anything for it... I mean, in the end we are all just renting things anyway right? and it is only money, and it is only pinball, and there are more important things in life... like just being happy

#24 11 years ago

I think that's an amazing Idea. I would be in on it. even if it means I pay shipping for the "free" pin.

I wonder what "all the time" means. Once a year? Or a hundred times?

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

I wonder what "all the time" means. Once a year? Or a hundred times?

have no idea... I'm going to call him in a couple days ( I just met him today) and see if we can't get together and maybe build a little something... heck I might actually make a local friend

#26 11 years ago

I just wanted to throw it out there too see if anybody thought it was a do'able idea...
    he may be blowing smoke... but if he's not, we may have a good thing coming

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from APOLLO_13:

when your done/ tired of it pass it on is all

I could do that, no problem. I try to give things to friends instead of ebaying them. Books, video games, stuff like that. Never done it with something as big as a pinball machine, but if I had one to give and someone would pay shipping...

#28 11 years ago

just an example in my life:
    it's been several years now, but my wife worked with a woman who's mother bought her a brand new mustang for graduation (high school)... this was my dream car and 15 years after we met her, she told me about the car... she had it sitting in her garage for 15 years at that point. Well every year after I would think about that car, and would offer to buy it from her, and she would always tell me "my mother told me before she died, to never sell that car" well 15 years went by and finally she was in need of a "driver" so we traded cars, I paid for all the title and transfer fees... she got my 1990 mustang lx convertible, and I got a 1964 1/2 convertible... I took the time and restored it (every day when I got home from work, and all day, some times in to the wee hours on the weekends)... I did everything myself except put the new top on it... I made a deal with her that I would not sell it either. needless to say my only nephew will be very happy when I pass it on to him... for free.

100_1648.jpg100_1648.jpg 100_1633.jpg100_1633.jpg

#29 11 years ago

I think there are still enough good people out there for something like this to work.

EDIT: okay guys, it's 10:22 in my world, gotta crash and do it all again tomorrow...
    I'll check back and will keep this updated so you all know how it's going.

#30 11 years ago

That's a great story about the Mustang!

Had a couple more thoughts about trading pins. It's your show and they're just thoughts, so take them for what they're worth. Which probably isn't much

Would there be any rules beyond the honor system? Some rules might be nice, but of course, would only be broken and make things more complicated.

Would the pin come with any limitations (you can only keep it for a year and then you have to pass it on, you can't ever sell it, etc.)? Or would saying you could only keep it for a year basically just mean you just "rented" a machine for a year for the cost of shipping?

How would you decide who got what pin since not all pins are created equal? Would a person who wants their first pin take presidence over someone with 40 pins? Random lottery?

If the pins were all a part of a stable, you could put yourself on the waitlist for one. Then, in a couple of years, when your name comes up, it's your turn.

#31 11 years ago

Holy Moley! You would get sainthood for that! I think this is a fantastic idea and I would pay shipping in a heartbeat. I think there are a lot more kind and honest people out there then we all realize. People on here are top notch, I have recieved free plastics, a free topper, free repairs, and been sold a pin at a very reasonable price. I know if I recieved one my conscience would never let me flip it. I just gave away a free f-14 motor in a thread and it felt really good to give back to the community, could you imagine how good it would feel to give away a free (or almost free) pin?

Also think about just trading them! You could start a network where they go out into the wild and then after a year people just start trading them. I would pay shipping once a year to do that.

#32 11 years ago

Awesome idea, hobby needs more of this and less chasing $$$

#33 11 years ago

Love the idea! Not enough people "pay it forward"

Mike

#34 11 years ago

Beautiful car.
    Interesting idea and a great way for keeping pins out of a landfill.

#35 11 years ago

Great idea, it might make it affordable to get a pin shipped up here. We do not have a good selection.

I have mentioned it before in other threads but this thread reminds me of the song "Chain of Love" Listen to it if you have not had the chance. The video is actually better than just listening to it.

#36 11 years ago

I was thinking when I get one in I would pm people who responded to this. I figured not everyone is going to want every pin... I'm not in to em's so much but some may be (not saying they are all going to be em's) just an example... I'm too new to this, to list titles that people might think are caa caa... but I don't think if someone isn't into a certain title they would pay to have is shipped. once we get a list of who would want it, well, we could go from there. and as far as keeping it for a certain time, I just figured when you got tired of it... pass it on. just a thought.

#37 11 years ago

Sounds like a good deal. Count me in.

#38 11 years ago

I would make a roadtrip down there and I'm sure a few friends would too.

#39 11 years ago

Or another idea would be that these are 'always' your games on loan only. Create a post here on each game and current location and 'borrower'. Game is transferred with the pledge they will post here the next owner when as it makes the rounds. Regardless of how if works I would also be in on a deal like this.

#40 11 years ago

I would love to get a pinball for my sister and her family . i fly out to visit them at least once a year . my sister lives in Atlanta so if i am lucky enough to get a pin from you i would just drive to pick it up

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Beachcomber:

Or another idea would be that these are 'always' your games on loan only. Create a post here on each game and current location and 'borrower'. Game is transferred with the pledge they will post here the next owner when as it makes the rounds. Regardless of how if works I would also be in on a deal like this.

I think that could be how you could make it work! If it stays on the radar, nobody would be tempted to secretly sell it off for a profit.

However you decide to work it APOLLO_13, I'd sure like to be included

#42 11 years ago

I'm in Aiken, S.C. and would travel. PM sent.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from APOLLO_13:

I was thinking when I get one in I would pm people who responded to this. I figured not everyone is going to want every pin... I'm not in to em's so much but some may be (not saying they are all going to be em's) just an example... I'm too new to this, to list titles that people might think are caa caa... but I don't think if someone isn't into a certain title they would pay to have is shipped. once we get a list of who would want it, well, we could go from there. and as far as keeping it for a certain time, I just figured when you got tired of it... pass it on. just a thought.

I think that makes more sense than making it complicated!

#45 11 years ago

he said no... if I get them for free I'll give them too you for free... hell of a deal I would say.

Its like Christmas year round!

gift-red-white-icon.pnggift-red-white-icon.png

#46 11 years ago

Noble gesture. Looking forward when it goes into practice.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from APOLLO_13:

I live just outside Greenville SC I might be able to help with this.
    What do you think about it being a loan program? You can keep the pinball machine for up to like 6-8 months then you need to offer it up to be transferred to someone else. Just thinking out loud.

#48 11 years ago

Great idea, I think we could keep it going.

#49 11 years ago

Put me on the interested list. I kind of wonder if this might be better as a regional thing though.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Beachcomber:

+1

The ultimate pay it forward! Count me in.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pins-for-parts-costs-you-pay-the-shipping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.