7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I recently got into the hobby and picked up a HS. I love this game and all my friends who have played it love it as well. The guy I got it from told me that of his 3 pins this is the one his friends always wanted to play when they came over. I'm guessing it's because the rules are easy to pick up and the theme of the game. We can have a 4 player game and scores are usually pretty even with the exception of someone having a phenomenal game (which is pretty fun to watch anyway). I'm wondering if there are any other pins out there like this? I've played enough pins to know that some of them are very complicated and it would take some time for someone new to the pin to get up to speed. Reason I'm asking is I want to pick up another pin at some point and want it to have the same fun factor as HS is for non pinheads.

#2 7 years ago

Fish Tales and Doctor Who are very popular with guests at our place.

I would recommend FT personally. Kids love the boat ramps.

#3 7 years ago

Who Dunnit and WCS94 were big for my non-pinheads guests when I had those titles. No Good Gofers always goes over.

#4 7 years ago

Games where they can "luck" into seeing some fun stuff tend to work the best with people who don't play pinball often or ever. Some of the best games that I can think of include:

- World Cup Soccer '94
    - Jurassic Park
    - Bride of Pinbot
    - Monster Bash
    - Addams Family
    - Spider-Man
    - White Water
    - Revenge From Mars
    - Junk Yard
    - Black Rose
    - NASCAR (seriously)

#5 7 years ago

LOTR.... you are gonna stumble into a multiball on it somehow. Plus bashing the balrog is easy to get and fun.

#6 7 years ago

Tales of the Arabian Nights is pretty popular for newbies too. Great looking and easy rule set.

#7 7 years ago

Of the pins I have owned, the following got the most love from non-pinhead guests:

ACDC
    BBH
    Nascar
    Space Jam
    Shrek
    TAF
    LOTR
    WCS
    RFM
    SWE1

That said, don't buy for guests unless you have a ton of room. Stick with what you and your family like as that's who will be playing.

#8 7 years ago

EVERY non-pinhead loves my MM the most.

TAF is second place

#9 7 years ago

Trying to think of some of the cheaper ones since those suggested are on the high end (everyone does love mm and they better for 10 grand!)

T2 - people love shooting that gun

Bk or Bk2k- people like that upper playfield

Rollergames- has that magnaflip, kind of a novel theme

Elektra- lower playfield, lots of ramps

Diner- lots of stuff going on on that playfield

#12 7 years ago

Everyone who comes over loves Orbiter 1 more than any other game.

Ex players who haven't played in years usually like Comet because it is a real "players game", good shots are rewarded, slop goes down the outlanes.

Bride of Pinbot is any man's favorite, player or not.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

LOTR.... you are gonna stumble into a multiball on it somehow. Plus bashing the balrog is easy to get and fun.

I disagree on this one. I find people who are open to pinball are also into the nerdier themes, if you want to get someone averse to the nerdiness to play pinball you have to pick something more accessible.

#14 7 years ago

Games with relatively simple layouts, an interactive toy and non-childish theme.
    Getaway is a good one. Too bad most sports themed pins suck.

#15 7 years ago

Scared Stiff. Everybody loves smacking the crate. The spider wheel attracts people over to the machine too.

HS II: The Getaway or High Speed. Relatively easy to understand. Run the red light and cool stuff happens.

Black Knight or Black Knight 2000. Get the ball to the upper playfield. Relatively straightforward.

Jurassic Park. Enable the shot and watch the T-rex eat the pinball.

The Addams Family. Lots of straightforward shots with lots of lights and sounds for making them (with enough time allowed for people to go open-jawed at them).

Whirlwind. Make the shots and get blown in the face with a huge fan.

Spider Man/Attack from Mars/Tron Legacy/Medieval Madness. Shoot the 3 bank target (or castle bridge in MM), and make lots of noise come out of the machine by shooting straight up.

#16 7 years ago

I remember Cyclone (the sequel to Comet) being popular with the average crowd, back in the day. It's got a nice fun silly theme, and being a single-ball machine it's less difficult to play.

#17 7 years ago

Non pinheads always play my modern games the most. RFM too while I had it. The traditional b/w stuff not so much.

#18 7 years ago

DE Star Wars was a big hit with my visitors. They loved the Death Star, R2D2 and the call outs.

#20 7 years ago
    #21 7 years ago

My wife who doesn't understand the pinball. Will not let me get rid of my Star Wars episode one. Because that's the game all the nonpiners play.

#22 7 years ago

In my house it's BBH and RCT amongst non-pinheads, and frankly pinheads too.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from prock:

I recently got into the hobby and picked up a HS.

You're off to a great start. HS has always been my favorite '80's pin. HS has a system 11 MPU. Many of the other system 11's fall into the category you're looking for. Pinbot, Taxi, BK2000, F-14 and on and on. You can find a list of them by going here:

http://ipdb.org/

Click on advanced search, then select MPU System 11, System 11A, B and C to get the list of all of them. They're relatively easy to work on and a lot cheaper than new games. Often they will be in rough condition, but if they play mostly right, that's all you need. You don't play scuffed cabinet paint. Because they made so many, there are still plenty of nice ones out there still too. I'd put Taxi and Pinbot slightly above all the others.

Another newer game I'll second is Pirates. Everyone loves bashing the ship. It's a very satisfying shot that doesn't require much skill. The scoring is a little unbalanced, but once everyone figures out the deal, it's fine for competition.

#24 7 years ago

Thanks guys! Many good suggestions! I'll keep them in mind as I see local or closer pins go up for sale.

#25 7 years ago

Having a Cyclone in the basement, a lot of my buddies love it. One ball play keeps it simple, but those outlanes are harsh.

A lot of people gravitate toward Cactus Jacks because it very bright, the theme is left of centre, but everyone enjoys polka time! Objectives and rule sets wont drown you, and two ball multiball that is simple to achieve and gets their feet wet!

#26 7 years ago

RFM is also HUGE for non-pinheads

#27 7 years ago
    #28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

In my house it's BBH and RCT amongst non-pinheads, and frankly pinheads too.

Probably because it is so hard to find them to play. Especially in good working order.

#29 7 years ago

You guys hate me for it, but I had Waterworld and fish tales and everyone from age 3 to 60 liked Waterworld more. It's fun, even on a plunge you can get 2 ball multiball going. 4 ball multi is crazy and fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.00
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 12.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside