New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 28431)

Pins at Disney Report, with a pin you won't believe

By RDReynolds

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by girloveswaffles
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

potc2.JPG
    potc1.JPG
    indy.JPG
    Elvis.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Ok, just got back from Disney World. Had a great time, and got to play some pins while I was there. We stayed at Pop Century, and they had replaced the POTC they had last time I was there with a Tron. I hadn't played it much, and have to say it was quite fun. The machine was also in good shape, everything working as it should, just a little bit dirty. Ventured over to Art of Animation resort, and they also had a Tron in pretty similar condition.

Went to Magic Kingdom, and headed for the Space Mountain arcade where they always have pins. This time, there were four: SWEP1, POTC, Elvis, and IJ4. The SWEP1 played pretty well. It wasn't perfect, but it was ok. The others, though...

Elvis had a garbled display and a really weak flipper:

Elvis.JPG

#2 7 years ago

IJ4 was pretty filthy:

indy.JPG

#3 7 years ago

But nothing could prepare me for POTC. The ship was totally broken and it was absolutely filthy:

potc1.JPG

#4 7 years ago

But what really threw me was the slingshot plastic being...missing?

NO!

It was on there, just 180 degrees from where it should be!!!

potc2.JPG

#5 7 years ago

Oh my gosh !

#6 7 years ago

Yeah, it was brutal. I couldn't quite believe what I saw there. I mean, this is DISNEY. Can't they take care of a few pins at their most popular arcade?

#7 7 years ago

Now that's weird.

It's a very busy time at Disney. Sadly, that means the games that make the most money and / are the easiest to fix are going to get the most attention...

It's nearly impossible to hire seasonal game techs.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

But nothing could prepare me for POTC. The ship was totally broken and it was absolutely filthy:

Ship was broken when I was there in April. Wonder if it ever got fixed.

#9 7 years ago

Does Disney own those pins? I'd be surprised if they do.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Ship was broken when I was there in April. Wonder if it ever got fixed.

I doubt it. I'd think if they took the time to fix the ship, they'd wipe some dirt off the pf.

#11 7 years ago

Forgot to mention, also saw a POTC at the Beach Club arcade. Weak flippers but worked ok other than being dirty. I'd grumble more about it, but between the awesome Beaches & Cream soda shoppe and Cape May Cafe's unlimited crab legs, I just can't.

#12 7 years ago

You need to go to the Contemporary Resort. The last time I was there a few months ago they had 5 great condition fully working Stern machines. The arcade inside the Magic Kingdom's machines were always in bad shape.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from perryd:

You need to go to the Contemporary Resort. The last time I was there a few months ago they had 5 great condition fully working Stern machines. The arcade inside the Magic Kingdom's machines were always in bad shape.

Yeah, I saw that, too, back in June when I was there. The arcade at the Contemporary had the best pin lineup of all of the Disney arcades.

#14 7 years ago

Safe to say there won't be any AC/DC there

#15 7 years ago

lol
    that's funny about the sling plastic

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

that's funny about the sling plastic

even crazier that the nut is on the post where the sling *should* be

#17 7 years ago

WOW that thing is trashed, suprise for Disney.

#18 7 years ago

Yes, the Contemporary Resort has the best kept ones that I have seen there. I was there about 6 months ago and one night the card reader system was down so they where all on free play till they closed for the night.

#19 7 years ago

Oh yeah, been to the Contemporary before. That arcade is pretty nice, not sure why things would be so much better there than anywhere else?

#21 7 years ago

If you really wanted to be shocked you should have gone to DisneyQuest at Downtown Disney. You can barely see the playfield on most games from the grime. And they had a great line-up on paper-TF, Spidey, RS, Tron, POTC and a few others. Assorted broken posts, Spidey had no GI lights, Trons scoop was the worst I have ever seen, and slings were so caked the balls just limped off them. I was not expecting HUO quality but I was expecting SOME sort of upkeep. We heard from an operator that Disney owns the pins at DisneyQuest. I wish I took some pics.

#22 7 years ago

looks like a below average route, i'm not surprised at all. but last thing i'd be looking at disney world.

#23 7 years ago

The pins at the Space Mountain arcade are not owned by Disney. Some years ago I went on a letter writing campaign to the woman who is in charge of the Magic Kingdom in which I complained about the condition of their pins. I let her know that the Contemporary always had nice pins and wondered why the pin-techs couldn't drop by the Magic Kingdom on a routine basis. Her reply was that each park and each hotel negotiates a separate contract with a third party vendor to supply arcade games and to maintain the games. The Contemporary negotiated a dedicated full time tech to maintain the vendor's games but the Magic Kingdom did not.

#24 7 years ago

When I'm at Magic Kingdom, I spend my time riding space mountain and buzz lightyear space ranger spin. Maybe a little Splash Mountain & Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, too.

#25 7 years ago

These machines made me cringe when I saw them a few weeks ago.

I think I really could have gotten into Elvis if the flippers would work properly.

#26 7 years ago

I was at Disneyquest in September and it was basically status quo from what Ninefingers described. A tech was there working on their Stern Batman and I talked to him briefly. They were a contract repair service, the pins were Disney property. He said he was just getting it working but not doing the full needed repair. He said their own company pins get rotated in for cleaning/repairs but Disney quest pins never leave the building.

It was pushing 7pm. I told him I was an enthusiast and I appreciated what he was doing. Certainly no call to break the balls of the working tech following client wishes.

I played that batman a good bit and it was one of the more functional pins. batmobile race thing on the left didn't work, otherwise it was working decently. TFLE was 100% but getting dirty. RS had a broken left return ramp that resulted in drains. Tron had weak flippers. Iron man was ok. Avatar had flipper problems, flippers were super weak. POTC - no ship. Spider man had a super weak flipper that wouldn't stay up.

After visiting Disneyquest 3-4 times over the past few years, it's clear that the standard is that the Pins light up, make noise, and flip at least one flipper. If it's doing that, no repair time or parts spend is forthcoming. they do have a college kid going around wiping off the glass from time to time. I suspect some games manager feels like he's doing exactly the right thing keeping cost down on the old fart games. The games are always decently busy.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

When I'm at Magic Kingdom, I spend my time riding space mountain and buzz lightyear space ranger spin. Maybe a little Splash Mountain & Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, too.

Oh yeah, we do too. But when you have Annual Passes, you tend to look at things a bit more out of the norm...

That said, I still contend that the Jungle Cruise is the best ride ever. Love those horrible old jokes!! The sole thing on my bucket list is to captain a JC boat for just one shift...I know the jokes by heart, would love love LOVE to do that before I die.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

Oh yeah, been to the Contemporary before. That arcade is pretty nice ...

You should have seen the Contemporary's arcade back in the late 70's and early 80's. They had a ton of pins lined up against the wall when you first walked in. Not to mention one hell of a cool shooting gallery in the back. When I was a kid, that arcade was literally my favorite place on Earth.

#30 7 years ago

Post edited by Crash : RS=Rolling Stones. Yeah.

#31 7 years ago

jiminy jillikers!

#32 7 years ago

We are heading back to Disney in February, and you guys just convinced me we are staying at the contemporary. Awesome.

Head down to the arcade once the kids go to bed.

#33 7 years ago

I was in Orlando last month but didn't get to go to Disney The hotel I stayed at had a Spiderman and a Shrek pin though. I didn't like the Shrek, but the Spiderman was fun. I also set the top 5 Galaga scores since I was there

#34 7 years ago

Most of the pins at the resort arcades are fine - when I was there in January most of the hotels had at least a Tron and PoTC in decent shape. Outside Space Mountain and inside Disney Quest are a totally different and depressing story.

#35 7 years ago

Seems they have a lot more pins at Disneyworld then they do at Disneyland. Was at Disneyland a few weeks ago, and not a single pin at any of the 3 Disney Hotels. Only a single POTC at the small arcade near Space Mountain. Used to have a wood trim IJ near adventureland but didn't see it this time. The Tron in California Adventure is no more as well.

#36 7 years ago

Aye carumba!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from sammycasey:

Used to have a wood trim IJ near adventureland but didn't see it this time.

Someone recently posted a picture of it, so it must still be there somewhere.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I remember seeing one at DW a few years back, maybe it got moved there or there is another one.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It's at the Indiana Jones Outpost in Adventureland next door to the Bengal Bar-B-Que.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 30.00
    Lighting - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 27.50
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    Electronics
    Lermods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.50
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 269.99
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 41.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside