(Topic ID: 306386)

Pinrestore Rivet Press Kit Assembly

By TinyBlackDog

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TinyBlackDog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I recently picked up the rivet press kit from Pinrestore before they shut down and have spent the weekend doing the assembly with a HF 1 ton arbor press. I had a bit of trouble drilling out the 3/16” hole in the ram for the upper rollover die. I broke a bit and had to switch to another one half way through. The die fit is a bit loose and I’m not sure if this is going to cause problems. The spring clip is holding the die in but there is some movement as seen in this video:

Seems like I’ve got 3 options:

1) Leave it as is
    2) JB Weld the die into the hole - should be rock solid if I do
    3) Drill another hole on the other end of the ram

My gut feel is that it should be fine, since it will lock into place as soon as it makes contact with the bottom die. Seems like a bit of play may even be beneficial. Thoughts?

#3 2 years ago

Thanks @bluespin. I ended up buying a new drill bit and drilling the other end of the ram - this time it was a very clean perfectly straight single pass hole. Turns out there is still quite a lot of play in the die, and it looks like that is expected. The bottom die has a similar amount of play as well.

Was able to wrap up all the riveting for my Shadow restore this morning. This press is definitely overkill for just one machine, but that just means I'll need to do some more restos once this is done

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TinyBlackDog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinrestore-rivet-press-kit-assembly?tu=TinyBlackDog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.