9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by HELLODEADCITY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF0187[1].jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 9 years ago

There are people who have contributed, in some cases large quantities or entire sections, that did so because they believed in the free distribution of the information. Also, these authors won't see any money from the sales, and they don't necessarily support the non-profit in question, or understand exactly what the money is going to be used for because of a lack of transparency.

Also, some people were frustrated that it was shut off without notice. I agree with this, if instant access was available fine. But the primary way of paying is via mail. The pinball showdown is in less than 2 weeks, this is crunch time for people trying to get their machines ready and some of them might be without their primary technical reference.

I was reading the thread on RGP as well. I just don't get some of the negative comments.

#24 9 years ago

February 2009. This is the latest full copy I've been able to access:

http://replay.web.archive.org/20090225083903/http://pinrepair.com/

#34 9 years ago

Ha, true about the avatar. I guess I just don't know what I'd put up. My pinball tastes change about every day as I find something new, so it's hard for me

The copyright legitimacy of pinrepair.com is very much in dispute over at RGP. However, I think it's 100% okay to archive public web sites and re-distribute as long as it's not for profit. Otherwise, Google would be in violation just for having a link to cached sites and I'm sure they wouldn't make themselves liable.

Just today I was talking to someone looking to get into pins, and the first thing I typically talk about is pinrepair, it makes new comers feel good knowing the help and guides are out there. I can't do that anymore, it's sad.

I will personally feel better when I at least get my CD. Nothing wrong with the 2009 info, but it never hurts to have the most complete set available.

I can understand the Clay has been shit on to the point where he might not want to maintain the site. But instead of locking it down, it should have been opened up to the public via wiki or handed off to someone that would have taken his place.

Forget being locked down and sold, I'm more concerned about future updates, revisions etc. Wiki software is free and hosting is very cheap, I would have preferred to seen the site passed down.

Thanks for the newer archive jalpert .. while I (and this site) don't promote sharing copyrighted or proprietary information this was out there for years and was promoted as free to share until now by the other site. It is why there are these copies that were allowed and not challenged.

P.S. BTW are you ever gonna add an Avatar or can we just pick one for you jalpert ? .. hehe

P.S.S. Where is Robin chiming in on this one ? C'mon dude or you are not getting that iPhone 5 pre-release []

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pindependent
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 34.94
    Playfield - Plastics
    Plastic 9 for Pin-Bot Out of stock
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 13.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 209.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside