9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by HELLODEADCITY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF0187[1].jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I just discovered from a thread over at RGP that you can no longer access the pinrepair website for free. You need to make a $10 donation to the Pacific Pinball Museum, and they will then send you the repair guide on CD ...

http://pacificpinball.org/visit/pinball-swag

#5 9 years ago

The change must have just went into affect today. Considering the fact that Clay was nice enough to provide all this information for free for all these years, $10 hardly seems unfair. Plus, the PPM is certainly a worthwhile cause. I'm just a bit surprised that there was no warning whatsoever that this change was about to take place.

#12 9 years ago

There are people who have contributed, in some cases large quantities or entire sections, that did so because they believed in the free distribution of the information.

It's kind of like if Wikipedia all of a sudden started charging people for access. Anyone who wrote a wiki would certainly have a valid reason to be upset.

#16 9 years ago

I thought Wiki was looking for donations?

It's apples and oranges. Wikipedia is simply looking to recoup their operating costs so that the information can remain available to all. The donations are OPTIONAL, and they are not forcing you to contribute to a charity that you may or may not want to give money to. I agree with some of the posters on RGP who suggested that an optional donation button on Clay's site would have been a better solution. Then Clay could have done whatever he wanted to with the money, and the information would have remained available for those who need it. As I said before, I think $10 is perfectly reasonable. I just think the whole situation wasn't handled properly.

#28 9 years ago

I'm not sure what to do. I obviously would like to have the CD, but I already made a donation to PPM earlier this year.

#32 9 years ago

$10 that's a steel for that information, and he's donating it to a good cause.

I agree. But forcing me to make another donation feels a lot like extortion. I really don't mean to come off like a jerk, it's just that the whole situation is very bizarre.

#33 9 years ago

I got a feeling more pinball repair sites are going to appear ...

It should probably be made into some sort of wiki.

#47 9 years ago

PPM obviously realized they made a mistake. Their intentions were good, but I don't think they took enough time to think about how many people would be pissed off when suddenly forced to pay for something that had been free for so long.

#58 9 years ago

Michael,

Thanks for the post! It's a shame this whole thing had to turn into such a fiasco. I believe I speak for all of us when I say that we really appreciate all your hard work and dedication to this hobby. I have not had the chance to get to your museum, but I sure would like to one day. Long live pinball.

#60 9 years ago

I'm not Michael i was just copy and pasting his post from elsewhere.

Ah, gotcha. I was paying close enough attention. Thanks for the post! I guess we aren't important enough here at Pinside to warrant an actual post from PPM.

#61 9 years ago

If anyone is interested to know how the whole "Tilt Town" thing went down, this is a fascinating read ...

http://www.detroitpinball.com/?p=1231#more-1231

I was unaware of any of this. It's now easy for me to understand why Clay is so bitter.

2 weeks later
    #70 9 years ago
    Quoted from seanymph:

I finally got around to downloading (uploading, whatever) a bit torrent program and a .rar file opener. Now all i have to do is figure out how to put all those wonderful informative photos back in their places in the guides!

What a pain in the a**! The good news is that some very talented and dedicated people are currently in the process of creating a brand new, much better repair site. It will take a little while to get it up and running, but it should be awesome when they are done ...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/a7390712e9901a78

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 6.95
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 17.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 26.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside