Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pin2d
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“We want to know what you think of PINQUEST! ”

• Sounds awesome! 14 votes
      45%
    • Sounds dumb! 17 votes
      55%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PINQUEST-Players-Path (resized).png
    Pinquest How To Owner_Operator.pdf (PDF preview)
    Pinquest How To Player.pdf (PDF preview)
    Instagram NOW AVAILABLE HERE! (resized).png
    UPDATE (resized).png
    79E821F6-69FD-4DF5-962C-20B8DB21983B (resized).jpeg
    8283D22C-C226-49D6-B6FD-A0FB8710383E (resized).jpeg
    606C5698-CBCA-4B71-A422-9318980A747E (resized).jpeg
    EE5E75FF-6D45-4796-85FD-6276BBBFE3DB (resized).jpeg
    1977169C-CC52-470B-9062-3FE28C59CC95 (resized).jpeg
    291B15FD-5412-412F-A1E3-E0445D7D2032 (resized).jpeg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

This post is in regards to our announcement which can be found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinquest-is-here

We want to know what you think! Thanks all!

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from PINQUEST:

We want to know what you think!

"and have a small monthly access fee for locations."

That is where you lost me. I'm pretty much out of the tournament or launch parties type stuff.

Might be great for some locations. Best wishes.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

I like the concept —it reminds me of what lawlor was going for with safecracker rewarding tokens that would be redeemable on location. Here in Seattle a location with safecracker does just that, with 2 for1 drinks with a token.

Tokens are easy though. Getting busy locations on board with the whole app is another thing. Rotating staff, that may or may not be interested at all in the pin aspect plus a lot of locations games are operator run. I can see a number of places (around here at least) just too busy with drinks and/or food to want to bother vetting achievements. If the app could do it automatically from the photo and stamp, and the screen pops up with the award that is then just tapped by the bartender to redeem a drink or something then that is much more realistic I think.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I like the concept —it reminds me of what lawlor was going for with safecracker rewarding tokens that would be redeemable on location. Here in Seattle a location with safecracker does just that, with 2 for1 drinks with a token.
    Tokens are easy though. Getting busy locations on board with the whole app is another thing. Rotating staff, that may or may not be interested at all in the pin aspect plus a lot of locations games are operator run. I can see a number of places (around here at least) just too busy with drinks and/or food to want to bother vetting achievements. If the app could do it automatically from the photo and stamp, and the screen pops up with the award that is then just tapped by the bartender to redeem a drink or something then that is much more realistic I think.

Definitely something we have thought about. The only way to validate with in the app would be to scan some sort of QR code at the end of a game that included the data needed. We would need game manufactures to see the value in this before we go down that road and ask for that. A location that is going to want to access this is going to have to train the staff to do a validation just like any other job task. The validation process is very quick. We are also exploring an option to email the location and or operator for validation. At that point a “prize” could be emailed or left at the bar for the individual.

We explored using smart scanning but with the variance of displays, multiple scores, scrolling scores, etc. there was just no way to
    consistently validate using the technology.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

"and have a small monthly access fee for locations."
    That is where you lost me. I'm pretty much out of the tournament or launch parties type stuff.
    Might be great for some locations. Best wishes.
    LTG : )

Thank LTG! I am a fellow operator and understand that there needs to be financial value for a location/operator to sign up. We will give everyone a free month to make sure it is a good fit. We will also have a no commitment/cancel any time agreement.

#6 4 years ago

I really like the concept, seems very cool, but I don't know how sound your business model is.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like the intent is for bars/arcades to reallocate some of their outreach through your app, versus local marketing channels or other promotions they do.

How do you walk that fine line between giving away a bunch of free stuff to regulars, but keep the challenges low enough to entice net-new patrons to come to the location?

What kind of business case would you share with bars/arcades to convince them it's an overall positive ROI? Are there numbers on app reach and projected growth? I'd want to see how many app users you have in my geographic location and what my audience demographics are for those app users.

Since I don't want to offer feedback without a potential solution, maybe consider more of an outcome based service? Potentially where the location pays per Pinquest check-in, that way both parties are motivated to keep the challenges in the app fresh and moving.

I see one of your main competitions just being Facebook and other social media outlets, purely because those have a huge reach and are free. A bar could just promote their own "Beat X score and get a t-shirt" competition and reach a pretty vast audience today.

Like I said, I hope this succeeds because it seems like a neat concept, but I think you are facing an uphill battle in both getting app install numbers up to build that user base, and convincing the arcades that it's a positive investment for them. They will definitely have more incurred costs as far as training staff, inventory of prizes, etc...

Wishing you best of luck with the new endeavor!

#7 4 years ago

I like the concept, there's some good technology solutions at work here.

I wonder how much better the concept would work if you took the operators out of it. Asked nothing of them, and ran independently of them. Then you could sell "lures" (like Pokemon Go) if they wanted extra juice for their location. That's assuming they saw value from it.

I see the post above about validation, that's a challenge as well.

Operators are notoriously old school so this is a challenge to get them to sign on as step 1. If you removed that step, it opens the doors wide up, but it's on you to scale it up.

Good luck.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I really like the concept, seems very cool, but I don't know how sound your business model is.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like the intent is for bars/arcades to reallocate some of their outreach through your app, versus local marketing channels or other promotions they do.
    How do you walk that fine line between giving away a bunch of free stuff to regulars, but keep the challenges low enough to entice net-new patrons to come to the location?
    What kind of business case would you share with bars/arcades to convince them it's an overall positive ROI? Are there numbers on app reach and projected growth? I'd want to see how many app users you have in my geographic location and what my audience demographics are for those app users.
    Since I don't want to offer feedback without a potential solution, maybe consider more of an outcome based service? Potentially where the location pays per Pinquest check-in, that way both parties are motivated to keep the challenges in the app fresh and moving.
    I see one of your main competitions just being Facebook and other social media outlets, purely because those have a huge reach and are free. A bar could just promote their own "Beat X score and get a t-shirt" competition and reach a pretty vast audience today.
    Like I said, I hope this succeeds because it seems like a neat concept, but I think you are facing an uphill battle in both getting app install numbers up to build that user base, and convincing the arcades that it's a positive investment for them. They will definitely have more incurred costs as far as training staff, inventory of prizes, etc...
    Wishing you best of luck with the new endeavor!

All great questions and observations. Locations will not be required to give away any prize. If they simply want to host a quest with only the digital trophy to give people something to shoot for that is totally up to them. We recommend keeping the prizes simple like a drink voucher, key chain, or something extremely basic and cost effective for the basic quests. If a location wants to offer something more valuable, they will need to set up a much more difficult quest. Yes, there is the potential for incurred cost, however the possible upside would negate any additional costs. We see people spending a ton of money at big chain arcades to win the most basic of redemption prizes. Hopefully by giving someone something to shoot for, pinball/liquor/food revenues will increase as people will be spending more time trying to complete their "quests". Just like any other business decision if the costs outweigh the benefits a location can make the decision to get rid of the app. We will allow a location to cancel their subscription at any time as we do not believe in hand cuffing a business if something is not benefiting them.

To answer your questions about facebook, I have personally run facebook contests at my location in the past. It works fine but its sloppy and there is no clear way to keep promote/keep track/make sure individuals post the photo to the correct area etc.. A lot of people also hate facebook and other social outlets so it limits the appeal to many. This was built to give users a new, clean pinball only experience, with the ability to share what they have done on social media if they choose to do so.

The apps success is going to heavily depend on inside out growth. The more locations we get on board the more people will start using the app. The best comparison many people have made for the app, is that it is like pokemon go, but for pinball.

Just a side note, the app can work with really any game that offers scoring. If a location wanted to throw Pac-Man in the mix they can easily set a quest that includes a target score.

The one thing we want everyone to know is that this was created solely to help grow the hobby/passion of pinball.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I like the concept, there's some good technology solutions at work here.
    I wonder how much better the concept would work if you took the operators out of it. Asked nothing of them, and ran independently of them. Then you could sell "lures" (like Pokemon Go) if they wanted extra juice for their location. That's assuming they saw value from it.
    I see the post above about validation, that's a challenge as well.
    Operators are notoriously old school so this is a challenge to get them to sign on as step 1. If you removed that step, it opens the doors wide up, but it's on you to scale it up.
    Good luck.

Thank you!

The issue with just signing up a location is that there are many unknown variables that we cannot track such as: Is a machine broken? Is a machine actually at that location? Does the operator have 3 or 5 ball on? The list goes on and on. We also don’t want to throw extra traffic at a location if they are not anticipating it.

Locations simply need to understand that games that had no redemption options in the past now do. Hope that helps to understand why we have decided to go the direction we have!

#10 4 years ago

If you are interested in signing up your location, or if you have a location you would like to see offer PINQUEST, please contact us at [email protected] or visit our website for additional information www.playpinquest.com
    If you would like to test the app, please visit our website and click the red button to launch the web app. I have set up a demo location called “PINSIDE” within the app. Please use the zip code 80205 to search for the “quest” please note I will delete this location when we officially go live.

#11 4 years ago

As one of the users at the Rocky Mountain Show I enjoyed my experience with Pinquest. For me, as a competitive player, the score targets gave me a reason to keep playing games in order to achieve a goal. I can see where this could drive more plays at a location. Earning the prizes were nice, but being given the goal/achievement was my primary driver. As an aside I can see this as a gateway to more competitive play. For example my wife is not a tournament player, but once she decided to start chasing the Pinquest goals she was discussing scoring strategies with me in order to hit her targets. In all it was great fun as a player.

#12 4 years ago

Interesting idea, looking forward to see where this goes. It looks like a port of video games trophies to pinball and it’s very welcome. Ill try it for sure once it comes to the sf area.

2 weeks later
    #13 4 years ago

We had our first public location go live today! This will be our last test site before we go live nationwide!(Still a target date of 7/1 release)

Here are a few photos: Tilt Pinball in Louisville Colorado. Photos of the location owners, and our set up!

Gave away some awesome prizes today!

If you are interested in adding PINQUEST to your location visit our website www.playpinquest.com and fill out our form on the main page.

79E821F6-69FD-4DF5-962C-20B8DB21983B (resized).jpeg79E821F6-69FD-4DF5-962C-20B8DB21983B (resized).jpeg1977169C-CC52-470B-9062-3FE28C59CC95 (resized).jpeg1977169C-CC52-470B-9062-3FE28C59CC95 (resized).jpeg606C5698-CBCA-4B71-A422-9318980A747E (resized).jpeg606C5698-CBCA-4B71-A422-9318980A747E (resized).jpeg291B15FD-5412-412F-A1E3-E0445D7D2032 (resized).jpeg291B15FD-5412-412F-A1E3-E0445D7D2032 (resized).jpeg8283D22C-C226-49D6-B6FD-A0FB8710383E (resized).jpeg8283D22C-C226-49D6-B6FD-A0FB8710383E (resized).jpegEE5E75FF-6D45-4796-85FD-6276BBBFE3DB (resized).jpegEE5E75FF-6D45-4796-85FD-6276BBBFE3DB (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #14 4 years ago

What’s up pinheads! We wanted to give you a quick update on the status of the PINQUEST national launch. 7/1 has come and gone and unfortunately we did not meet our launch goal. While our system is ready to go, we need to be very careful that we comply with each individual states’ data privacy laws. That being said, our attorneys are hard at work making sure we are in compliance. Once we receive the thumbs up, we will hit the launch button! For our international fans, we do intend to release PINQUEST in select countries but it will be at a later date as international privacy law is even more complex.

Now for some good news!

We have been working behind the scenes on industry partnerships that we are super excited to tell you about in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, you can check out the weekly PINQUEST challenges on the Flip n Out Pinball or Deadflip Twitch channels.

If you haven’t heard about PINQUEST check out our website at www.pinquest.com. If you are a location that would like to offer PINQUEST, there is a form that you can fill out that will get you added to our updates/launch notifications.

Make sure you follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @pinquestpinball for updates/news and other fun pinball related stuff.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

-Love,
    PINQUEST

UPDATE (resized).pngUPDATE (resized).png
    #15 4 years ago

Remember folks he's the first sponsor for KANEDA. So support or boycott as you see fit. I'm doing the latter.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:Remember folks he's the first sponsor for KANEDA. So support or boycott as you see fit. I'm doing the latter.

Yes that is correct we proudly support Kaneda. Yes, he can be controversial. No we do not agree with everything he says, but everyone is entitled their opinion. We find his show entertaining and appreciate the fact that he says a lot of things that we are all thinking/are too afraid to say. Sure he stirs the pot, but ultimately I think he helps to progress the hobby as he is a voice that is heard.

We, like Kaneda only want to help the hobby grow. If you do not want to support us it is unfortunate, but we still love you as a member of the pinball community!

1 week later
    #17 4 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Remember folks he's the first sponsor for KANEDA. So support or boycott as you see fit. I'm doing the latter.

Ok. I may be late to the game. What is wrong with supporting pinball podcasts? Or is it specifically Kaneda?
    I have only been listening to pinball podcasts for a couple months, but I've listened to about a dozen of Kaneda's podcasts and find them entertaining. Definitely have not heard anything that would make me boycott his sponsors.
    If I am missing something please let me know.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:Ok. I may be late to the game. What is wrong with supporting pinball podcasts? Or is it specifically Kaneda?
    I have only been listening to pinball podcasts for a couple months, but I've listened to about a dozen of Kaneda's podcasts and find them entertaining. Definitely have not heard anything that would make me boycott his sponsors.
    If I am missing something please let me know.

A lot of people get their panties in a bunch when I comes to Kaneada...instead of just tuning out, they insist that others should be equally offended and boycott him....
    They will tell you he ruined pinside and all of pinball forever.
    However, he is just an opinionated entertainer that has an outlet for his thoughts.

It seems these days that everybody wants to ban or boycott anything that is not exactly in line with their own thinking, instead of just shrugging off the things that dont matter and move on...

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

A lot of people get their panties in a bunch when I comes to Kaneada...instead of just tuning out, they insist that others should be equally offended and boycott him....
    They will tell you he ruined pinside and all of pinball forever.
    However, he is just an opinionated entertainer that has an outlet for his thoughts.
    It seems these days that everybody wants to ban or boycott anything that is not exactly in line with their own thinking, instead of just shrugging off the things that dont matter and move on...

I completely agree.

#20 4 years ago

Whatever you think of kaneda, it's not a smart move as a business to sponsor and endorse such a controversial figure in a relatively small industry.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Whatever you think of kaneda, it's not a smart move as a business to sponsor and endorse such a controversial figure in a relatively small industry.

It's a simple analysis. Does advertising on the most popular podcast gain more customers than turn others away?

Besides, the people that don't like Kaneda won't hear the ads (unless they hate-listen, which I do think is a sizeable chunk of his audience). The majority of his audience simply doesn't care that he has a few notable instances of being an ass.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's a simple analysis. Does advertising on the most popular podcast gain more customers than turn others away?
    Besides, the people that don't like Kaneda won't hear the ads (unless they hate-listen, which I do think is a sizeable chunk of his audience). The majority of his audience simply doesn't care that he has a few notable instances of being an ass.

I mean, he advertises that he sponsors kaneda in the thread title...

I'm actually kind of glad that there's a kaneda out there. I think people are mostly beyond being angry about him and now you just see him as the punchline for some pretty funny jokes. I think this hobby needs someone like that. He's so unreliable and over the top that the jokes just write themselves.

#23 4 years ago

Kaneda was (and is ?) a total tool when he was trolling here. Annoying as all hell. He'd stir up the pot, then sit back and watch what Pinsiders do best.
    Am I defending him? Hell no, *but* for good or bad, he's gotten his name out there and it is to stay. Would I patronize/boycott any vendor that supports him? No, that's just childish & petty. I go by the merits of the vendor, not who he's being sponsored by. People here have got to let the Kaneda thing go. He's banned. He's not coming back. Let's move on. I'd be singing a different tune if he cost anyone money or scammed people. But he hasn't.

#24 4 years ago

What was Kaneda's pinside name?

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

What was Kaneda's pinside name?

Main one, or others he added ?

#28 4 years ago

I think pinquest is a great idea....putting Kaneda in the title of this thread is not.

#29 4 years ago

Yeah, I renamed the thread when I saw that post about boycotting us in fun. We would never sponsor something that was truly harmful to anyone/anything. I personally love kanedas show. He's a good dude from my conversations with him. We don't really ask him to even mention us as a sponsor, it's more of a thank you to him for providing entertainment. All of the content creators put a ton of time and effort into this hobby with little to no financial gain. They do it simply for the love of the hobby. For that we want to support where we can. If people choose to boycott, it is unfortunate but it is what it is. We just want to do our part to help grow the hobby.

#30 4 years ago

If you look that up on pinside it doesn't exist.

#31 4 years ago

History is being scrubbed...its not just happening on pinside.....

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

If you look that up on pinside it doesn't exist.

Yep. Your Google-Fu needs to be stronger. He posted a few threads for each of his new episodes, so he really isn't that hard to find.

#33 4 years ago

If you type in Kaneda in the pinsider lookup it comes back with No Match.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

If you type in Kaneda in the pinsider lookup it comes back with No Match.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

#35 4 years ago

Ok, to get this thread back on topic.... good news! We are LIVE!
    If you are a location wanting to sign up please visit this link https://www.playpinquest.com/owners-operators

Instagram NOW AVAILABLE HERE! (resized).pngInstagram NOW AVAILABLE HERE! (resized).png
    #36 4 years ago

Here are a few "how to" documents for an owner/operator and user. click the images and it will download the full document. If you know of a location you think this would be a good fit for please share this! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out! you can get me directly at [email protected]

Pinquest How To Owner_Operator.pdfPinquest How To Owner_Operator.pdfPinquest How To Player.pdfPinquest How To Player.pdf
    #37 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

He who controls the media controls the masses.

#38 4 years ago

Just a thought, but there should probably be a list, to go with the location search. I randomly typed in some cities and came up with two in the Denver area.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from newovad:

Just a thought, but there should probably be a list, to go with the location search. I randomly typed in some cities and came up with two in the Denver area.

Thanks for the feedback! I will have a list on the website in the next few weeks. We just released to outside of Colorado last night. As we add locations I will start compiling a list!

in the mean time if you know a location you would like to see PINQUEST at please share with them! We need all of the help we can get from the community to help this grow

Thank you!

#40 4 years ago

Went from mentioning the podcaster by name to get clicks and then I'm guessing he did a bit of research.

Now referred to in the title of this thread as "that guy".

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Went from mentioning the podcaster by name to get clicks and then I'm guessing he did a bit of research.
    Now referred to in the title of this thread as "that guy".

All I know is that guy is a douche canoe.

#42 4 years ago

I actually didn’t change the name. I think the mods deleted “that guys” name. So I changed it back to something that didn’t specifically mention “that guy”. Lol I knew he was a hot topic but man I honestly didn’t know people got that heated about it! All good!

#43 4 years ago

If it is any consolation i found this thread and downloaded pinquest because I heard about it on kaneda's podcast. So i guess his advertising choices work.

#44 4 years ago

remember when he started a fight all drunk at the NYC pinball championships lol.

i think pinquest could be cool. i tried to beat a quest at wonderland and Oktoberfest was broke so could not do it. is there someway you could code in a replacement game/quest for such instances for people that travel to venues to try and beat quests?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

remember when he started a fight all drunk at the NYC pinball championships lol.
    i think pinquest could be cool. i tried to beat a quest at wonderland and Oktoberfest was broke so could not do it. is there someway you could code in a replacement game/quest for such instances for people that travel to venues to try and beat quests?

Yes! A game can be subbed out. If a machine is down it should be pulled from the quest. Only problem that can come from that is if the operator or location doesn’t know the game is down

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

If it is any consolation i found this thread and downloaded pinquest because I heard about it on kaneda's podcast. So i guess his advertising choices work.

If you have any locations near you that you think PINQUEST would add fun/be a good addition to please share the website with them! thank you!

#47 4 years ago

And now "that guy" is trying to flip a Lebowski after getting one of the recent games. At this point I think I'm ready to boycott his sponsors.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

And now "that guy" is trying to flip a Lebowski after getting one of the recent games. At this point I think I'm ready to boycott his sponsors.

Because he’s trying to flip the Lebowski? Or one of the other myriad reasons?

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Because he’s trying to flip the Lebowski? Or one of the other myriad reasons?

Back when I listened to his show he even made comments about how no one who bought one should feel good about it because people who paid for the games were getting screwed, and here he is trying to profit off of it. Just seems like a more egregious thing to take the game and not even want it to play it but just to flip it to make thousands of dollars while someone else lost thousands of dollars on it. And he isn't even subtle about it. I wouldn't want to be associated with that kind of behavior if I were pinquest.

1 week later
    #50 4 years ago

The PINQUEST Train has started to roll. We are going to start posting as locations begin offering PINQUEST

Welcome Bite Me Cake Company!

Bite Me Cake Company
    233 S. Union Ave
    Pueblo,Colorado 81004

If you are in Puebla or visiting make sure you check out this location!

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinquest-is-here-discussion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.