(Topic ID: 246884)

Pinnovation! Self-leveling pin coming soon?!

By DeadFlip

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by CVeRiTy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0F426388-F628-427A-A382-57C5C49A2BD5 (resized).jpeg

#1 7 months ago

So I had an idea.‬

‪Automated leg-levelers on a Pinball machine, hooked to accelerometer, to automatically level a pin for ya when you hit a button.‬

‪My buddy Joe Zenkus made a fricken prototype leg! ‬
    ‪#pinovation‬

‪Stay tuned for more!‬ (wow that link URL hahaha)

https://clips.twitch.tv/IgnorantDifficultMomThunBeast

#2 7 months ago

Cool concept but is this going to be like when people have rims that are worth more than the car itself?

#3 7 months ago

How about foldable legs on the cabinet? Let's start small...

#4 7 months ago

Does it really take that much to level a pinball machine

#5 7 months ago

Jack stick to drinking your good at it, ideas not so much.

#6 7 months ago

Right idea, wrong approach: leave the cabinet and legs themselves alone, make it so the playfield sets itself to the right level and pitch.

#7 7 months ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Right idea, wrong approach: leave the cabinet and legs themselves alone, make it so the playfield sets itself to the right level and pitch.

Or just put it underground and let it level the crooked floor the game is sitting on.

#8 7 months ago

Oh look, an expensive solution for a problem that doesn't really exist past initial setup.

#9 7 months ago

if it was removable ie you can go around and adjust each pin that would be cool, sort of like that tool you use to adjust a dishwasher leg height.

#10 7 months ago

no need to use a level imo when you have been doing this so long,. i just eye it. even for tourney setup. if you look at top of backbox you can see which way a game leans.
    play ball and see if its good or not.
    its honestly not that hard.

#11 7 months ago

Pfft. I think it's cool, sheesh.

Next time I have tournament on my machines that are being nudged around on an uneven floor, I'll remember the "problem that doesn't exist" for this 6' 7'' gent.

#12 7 months ago

Good idea for older folks and those with mobility issues.

#13 7 months ago

"one could also argue an escalara is as much as a pinball, or 50 times the cost of a hand cart from harbor freight, but people still buy them"

#14 7 months ago

Imagine those during an earthquake!

#15 7 months ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

Pfft. I think it's cool, sheesh.
    Next time I have tournament on my machines that are being nudged around on an uneven floor, I'll remember the "problem that doesn't exist" for this 6' 7'' gent.

Do you remember where you are? Pinside not Facebook.

#16 7 months ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Imagine those during an earthquake!

or if it went crazy during a tournament

#17 7 months ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

"one could also argue an escalara is as much as a pinball, or 50 times the cost of a hand cart from harbor freight, but people still buy them"

A poor comparison obviously, but I get your point. They might sell like hotcakes...its too hard to tell what will be the next big thing.

#18 7 months ago
    Quoted from russdx:

or if it went crazy during a tournament

Simulated earthquake mode!

#19 7 months ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

Simulated earthquake mode!

MAKE THIS A THING!

#20 7 months ago

Not feling it for this one but bravo anyway.

#21 7 months ago

Turning the tilt off during quake?

#22 7 months ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

Thing is, the Escalera is a lifetime tool that can be easily used for all your pins at a moment's notice, whatever the occasion. And used for other things as well. And probably loaned or rented to recoup that upfront cost over time.

A set of self-leveling legs, that has to stay with the game? Hmm. If you have a game you bring to lots of shows and stuff I could see it being very handy. But for average home or location use, where you "set it (up once) and forget it"... not so much.

Conceptually you're on to something, though! But apply it to the playfield itself, and you not only solve an issue, you can make it mode-interactive. THAT could add value... "I mock your pithy shaker!"

#23 7 months ago

Hmmmmm... an autolevel that was fast enough to counteract and nidging would actually be hilarious. Not that I would actually desire this... but holy cow that could be fun if you could activate it via a phone and punk friends while playing. I may reconsider my initial opinion

#24 7 months ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Cool concept but is this going to be like when people have rims that are worth more than the car itself?

These are cheap at only 30$ each leg. Already looked into it as a future homebrew project me and a friend are starting on will have these built on the back legs to change the slope during play. Simple design only needs 2 small bolt holes to be drilled thru the existing leg and the bottom foot hole drilled out to suit the dia of the actuator rod.

#25 7 months ago

So what if the pf is not perfectly level with the cabinet?

#26 7 months ago

Or does it read the pf? Hard to tell in the vid.

#27 7 months ago

This should also be in the modding section

#28 7 months ago

We made a fun thing from a fun idea. Simple as that. Haha

Right now its just powered with a switch. we're working on the automated part.
    Daydreaming with fun ideas, no harm in that.

ThAnKs FoR tHe InPuT pInSiDe
    <3

@thelaw not sure how to move a thread or does a mod do that for us?

#29 7 months ago

There was an idea awhile back(not mine) for a pinball Olympics event where the game would get progressively steeper as you played. This would work for that

#30 7 months ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

@thelaw not sure how to move a thread or does a mod do that for us?

No worries I just wanted to put another bitch on the thread

#31 7 months ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

There was an idea awhile back(not mine) for a pinball Olympics event where the game would get progressively steeper as you played. This would work for that

HAHA YES!

#32 7 months ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

So I had an idea.‬
    ‪Automated leg-levelers on a Pinball machine, hooked to accelerometer, to automatically level a pin for ya when you hit a button.‬
    ‪My buddy Joe Zenkus made a fricken prototype leg! ‬
    ‪#pinovation‬
    ‪Stay tuned for more!‬ (wow that link URL hahaha)
    https://clips.twitch.tv/IgnorantDifficultMomThunBeast

Yeah, I agree that adjusting the playfield mounts is cheaper and likely more reliable than moving the leg levelers since you'd be moving a lot less weight and only have to move it a little bit as opposed to the legs where you have to move it a lot.

But hey, let's get digital angle displays instead of bubble levels first. Baby steps.

#33 7 months ago

Does this level the cabinet or is there a sensor on the actual playfield? Being able to set the exact incline and perfect level of the playfield would be nice.

#34 7 months ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Does this level the cabinet or is there a sensor on the actual playfield? Being able to set the exact incline and perfect level of the playfield would be nice.

Yeah, that would be nice. Might need something like this to "level the playing field" amongst multiple pins for online connectivity.

#35 7 months ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I envision any reading we take would be off the playfield.

#36 7 months ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Yeah, that would be nice. Might need something like this to "level the playing field" amongst multiple pins for online connectivity.

The playing field is never really level in online gaming and people still enjoy it and have fun. Over time all the best guys still rise to the top. Any real event is always on a private network with all the players in the same room.

#37 7 months ago

0F426388-F628-427A-A382-57C5C49A2BD5 (resized).jpeg

#38 7 months ago
    Quoted from DeadFlip:

Hey hey hey leave the Escalera out of this. Hahaha It’s a proven and fantastic machine that helps out a lot of pinball peoples, and their backs.

#39 7 months ago

Awesome. I was just posting this kind of thing as well, would be great if someone made it. I had started some sketching but if someone else is making a cost effective, pro looking mod, I could definitely be interested!

#40 7 months ago

I think it's a cool idea, especially if you are frequently moving machines around. Since you need one for each machine you are simultaneously keeping level, and since it's a bit of a "first world problem" product, I think it would need to be reasonably inexpensive to have some success.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 109.99
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 11.95
    $ 27.99
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 209.99
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside