Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

When I first saw PinMonk with his flipper cooling fans, I thought it was nuts. But I’ve been fighting this Stranger Things TK lock for a while and pinballlife had their expo sale, so I decided to try them out.

Oh man! These things are sweet! I can nail that lock every time now. I just had my 2nd best game on the machine after installing the fans. They are snappy, powerful, and consistent now. What a game changer!

Now I need to order a set for my JJP GnR. Those flippers get super soggy, quick. I was going to get them through pinball life when I ordered them for my STh, but they were out of stock.

Bottom line. I’m not a mod guy. I think mods are a huge waste of money. But if you’re on the fence about PinMonk flipper fans, they are totally worth it!

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

. I was going to get them through pinball life when I ordered them for my STh, but they were out of stock.

https://pinmonk.com/ Get them from his website.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Now I need to order a set for my JJP GnR. Those flippers get super soggy, quick. I was going to get them through pinball life when I ordered them for my STh, but they were out of stock.

Terry's sale for Expo was super-hot, especially on more expensive items, so he blew through the GnR Tibetan Breeze kits fast with the lowest price anywhere. He's back in stock now with more Tibetan Breeze kits and Airball Shields for GnR.

Quoted from NightTrain:

Bottom line. I’m not a mod guy. I think mods are a huge waste of money. But if you’re on the fence about PinMonk flipper fans, they are totally worth it!

I'm pretty conservative and very choosy on pinball mods I personally buy, so this warms my heart. Easily the most consequential mod I have done because it actually changes how well the pins play over time. And, I hope the results of my testing with revelations like how Stern is managing flipper hold temps better than anyone else with Spike hardware that can do finer-resolution duty cycles will change how JJP, Spooky, and Multimorphic do their hardware in the future so they can get competitive in that area with future hardware releases that manage temps better.

Quoted from LTG:

https://pinmonk.com/ Get them from his website.
    LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd.

#4 2 years ago

Pinmonk rocks!! Funny,I posted some time ago about how Pinmonks flipper fans really work GOOD!!! Keep up

#5 2 years ago

I agree! Installed on my Stranger Things Premium, and the fans made a huge difference! Super easy to install as well.

#6 2 years ago

Installed them on my AIQ Premium. Before the fans, after about an hour of play, the Captain Marvel ramp was much tougher to make. After installing the fans, I can't tell the difference between the first game and after hours of play. They definitely make a difference on games that exhibit fade or have big ramp shots.

3 months later
    #7 2 years ago

Well i will ask a friend to make me those stands in 3D so i can print at home. The price you pay for his 3D printed ventilation stands is way way overpriced. I have a 3D printer, those stands will cost 1 euro to print each. and the silent fans cost around 17euros each.
    It's completly overpriced those fan kits.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Days:

Well i will ask a friend to make me those stands in 3D so i can print at home. The price you pay for his 3D printed ventilation stands is way way overpriced. I have a 3D printer, those stands will cost 1 euro to print each. and the silent fans cost around 17euros each.

Are original ideas and designs worth nothing? Sometimes, having a plug and play solution is great, and some people want to DIY it. There's nothing wrong with either path. I've seen this with my backlit frames. Some want the best plug and play solution and some would rather have a project and save some money. Props to PinMonk for coming out with a cool product.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Props to PinMonk for coming out with a cool product.

Good pun LOL

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Days:

It's great that you have the DIY spirit and ability, but you're uninformed about what I sell. A buyer is not just getting fans, they're getting fans, custom wiring harnesses (multiple, and sometimes additional hardware, depending on machine) and detailed, custom hand-illustrated instructions. I also test the pins and publish charts to show which will benefit from them and which you don't need to bother with. Exactly zero people were doing this before me. It also didn't seem to be known that Stern had pioneered better tech in Spike for the duty cycle on coils so their hold temps were better than literally everyone else, until I had substantial comparison testing in the bag to prove it. Now we know why it's better (microsecond resolution on the duty cycles) and you can probably expect their competition at JJP, CGR, Spooky, AP, etc to make those same advances when they release new hardware that can support it.

Many people that aren't you just want an all-in one solution where everything is included and easy. That's what the Tibetan Breeze kits are, and there's a significant amount of people that enjoy that option. It doesn't prohibit you from DIYing it for your machine, though. I don't know why you would think it does.

#11 2 years ago

It's overpriced, point.
    Then, everyone is free to do what they want, if they want to buy i think is great for them and for you. I didn't said you where stealing or scamming, just said it's overpriced, and it is of course, specially the kit with the 3 fans.
    But sure that will help people and if they are willing to pay everyone benefits from it. What i said was not an insult or hate, was just a fact, and nothing personal i don't know you and i don't judge you, i judge the price that is sold.
    For the one saying " and what about the original ideas and design?" Well, he didn't invented the powder... Adding fans to a piece to make it less hot is not that an original idea...
    Some weeks ago i bought some new coin doors, and they didn't came with the metal part that turns on/off the coin door switch. I created a 3D piece to solve the problem, i spent some hours on it and i posted the file for free in a facebook pinball group. The same, i didn't invented the powder.
    ( my initial comment was just about the fact it's overpriced , just that, i will not comment again, you can tell what you want am ok with it )

#12 2 years ago

I guess it might be perspective, it may be overpriced for you but I have pinmonk fans on two of my pins that were experiencing flipper fade and will gladly purchase more sets for any of my machines that need it. It’s a great product and I find it worth the price.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Exactly zero people were doing this before me

With all due respect I've been putting fans on my flippers to fight fatigue for years long before I heard of you and it cost me around $5-10 a pinball I use a little bracket from Ace and attach it through the EOS switch brackets and a little inline fuse to wherever I find 12v, while your product is no doubt extremely professional it is also in my opinion, from where I sit, laughably overpriced. I would guess your packaging cost more than the material? Kudos to you for getting that pinside mod money.

Edit- I realize you are referring to selling them as a mod- and I think that's respectable

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

With all due respect I've been putting fans on my flippers to fight fatigue for years long before I heard of you

I was talking about testing all available machines for temperatures, publishing temp results across multiple machines for the community, and uncovering details like Stern's microsecond duty cycles to manage hold temps better than the competition. None of that was being done, all of it beneficial to the community.

1 month later
    #15 2 years ago

PinMonk - Is there any wire to wire up these fans to only turn on when you start a game? I installed your quiet power supply fans in all my games. But then these flipper fans are always humming in my game room.

I always turn on all my games when I go to my game room. Can’t imagine these little Chinese fans will last all that long when they are constantly running anytime the game is on. The noise is the bigger nuisance though.

#16 2 years ago

70k hours MTBF on the fans. That's 8 years of 24/7 operation. You have nothing to worry about on the fan reliability front. Sunon is one of the best fan manufacturers out there.

I have been working on a thermal switch option for them, but seeing how it's gone for JJP has given me pause. The thermal switch they use for their magnet has a high failure rate and it's very similar to the one I've been experimenting with...

That said, I haven't been resting on my laurels. I've also been pursuing other ways to quiet the fans without losing any airflow (because games like JJP and Spooky machines need max airflow). There are 3 main versions of the fans/bracket combos. The middle version is louder than the first and current ones, but unfortunately I didn't mark them to tell them apart because I didn't realize I'd be iterating them (if you have screws in back and nuts in front of the bracket, you have the first or middle version. The current version has no screws). I think you should be able to barely hear the middle version with the machine all closed up, and not hear it at all with the game running, but I don't know how quiet your room is. The current "karma glide" floating version that I'm shipping shouldn't be audible unless you have the glass off/coin door open. I just put one in RUSH LE the other day and I can't hear it at all with the machine closed up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinmonk-fans-i-was-wrong?hl=mrsiyufy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.