(Topic ID: 6284)

Pinmikes competition... the rules have changed!

By pinballslave

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinmikerocks.jpg
    I-Want-You.jpg
    biggerboat.jpg
    pinmike-competition-september.png
    pinmike-competition-24-hours.png
    #1 12 years ago

Well, a little bit... I have decided that if I win the competion that I will give the prize to the person who has posted the most times to the competion 'topic' before the time runs out... I think this will mean that in this case the prize will go to the most dedicated poster, and therefore, IMO, the most worthy of winning

That should get the posting rate up a bit... not that I'm a high contender for winning, but you never know

#2 12 years ago

Hmmm. Not sure if we want the posting rate up any more. 1500 posts in 9 hours means 170 posts per hour or 2.8 posts per minute.

pinmike-competition-24-hours.pngpinmike-competition-24-hours.png pinmike-competition-september.pngpinmike-competition-september.png
    Note: times are Dutch, so the spike was around 9pm U.S. East Coast

So do I have a problem with the Pinmike competition? Most certainly not! It's a great idea and a perfect stress test for the Pinside forum. The site should have no problem whatsoever handling this!

Hmm, come to think of it, why not post what YOU would do with your $500 gift card, should you win?

#3 12 years ago

We're gonna need a bigger server!

biggerboat.jpgbiggerboat.jpg

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

We're gonna need a bigger server!

LOL... good one.

#5 12 years ago

I-Want-You.jpgI-Want-You.jpg

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hmm, come to think of it, why not post what YOU would do with your $500 gift card, should you win?

If I win the money, it's all going to my favorite charity, the "gweempose needs a new pin fund"

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

So do I have a problem with the Pinmike competition? Most certainly not! It's a great idea and a perfect stress test for the Pinside forum.

Bravo Robin!

#8 12 years ago

If I win I'm taking half of it and starting another contest. Pay it forward cause this has been a blast!

pinmikerocks.jpgpinmikerocks.jpg

#9 12 years ago

I wonder if the $500 could be used toward a NIB Stern.

#10 12 years ago

Hello TF-LE!

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Buy noflix LEDs.

Are they Better than CoinTaker's ? I beg the Differ-- What's the difference ?

#13 12 years ago

Not planning on winning, like the idea but the amount of posts are too daunting to even look at.

#14 12 years ago

Just for clarity, I also posted this on the official contest thread.

Quoted from pdxpinduck:

I hope PinMike will notify Robin to close this thread when he declares a winner...

I discussed this with Mike. The way it works is that PinMike will make a post when his alarm goes. The post above that post is the winner. We figured it would be honest if he opens his browser 15 minutes before the alarm and creates a new post "Rrrringgg!" - He will then have his mouse on the "send post" button until the alarm goes, then click the button.

That should make things pretty honest as he won't know who wins until clicking.

#15 12 years ago

That sounds like a very fair way to do it.

#16 12 years ago

That is an amazing amount of posts. I would use the money for parts. I need a lot more than that.

#17 12 years ago

Only fair for the people that can sit on here and keep hitting the copy / paste / Send Post button, think the time / date stamp thing would be a little more in tune without clogging up the server.

#18 12 years ago

Robin- any thoughts or opinions about how this contest affects wieners karma ratings? I've always thought that karma shows us all how much we've contributed to the site, as most posts have some substance to them, but this just racks up karma without really contributing anything...

#19 12 years ago

Might be an idea to disable karma for that thread, I think your point is valid!

#20 12 years ago

What Rules?

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Didn't know you could do that. I agree.

#22 12 years ago

over and out.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

robin said:

Didn't know you could do that. I agree.

Yeah good idea, Pinmike is falling down the rankings because he isn't posting!

#24 12 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm happy to see the Pinside is still up and running! I haven't received any PM's about it so I guess the server kept running smoothly? Or did anyone notice problems?

I have disabled Karma points for the $500 contest thread. I'm sure everyone agrees with that!

So... What are you still doing here, back to that topic!

#25 12 years ago

Uhm, okay so there have been some issues. It turns out the page counter is messed up because people are making posts at exactly the same time. Working on a fix for this...

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hi everyone! I'm happy to see the Pinside is still up and running! I haven't received any PM's about it so I guess the server kept running smoothly? Or did anyone notice problems?

I have disabled Karma points for the $500 contest thread. I'm sure everyone agrees with that!

So... What are you still doing here, back to that topic!

Good idea!

#27 12 years ago

I got 1000 Karma points from that thread, I understand why, but it sucks losing 1000 karma points anyway.

#28 12 years ago

It was cheating to gain karma from that thread.

#29 12 years ago

Nicely done Robin, always improving and maintaining the site - great stuff

#30 12 years ago

amazing what free 500 bucks will do huh?

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

amazing what free 500 bucks will do huh?

I think the $500 incentive has literally altered the course of some member's lives these past couple days. I bet some people stayed up all night. $500 is a heck of a lot of money to wave in someone's face. Not to diminish pinmike's kind gesture, but it may have actually been too much in retrospect.

#32 12 years ago

Who is pinmike and why is he giving away $500

#33 12 years ago

would put more leds in my machines,, just got bought an afm, and put some mods in including my first set of leds

#34 12 years ago

I'm really sorry for the problems my thread has caused and i never
    imagined it would be like this I figured while members were doing
    there normal thing on the site they would post once or twice when
    they log in and maybe post once or twice before they log off I never
    wanted anyone to hang around there PC all day long LOL!.I just thought
    it would be fun for everyone and winning is based on luck and right timing
    not by posting every 10 seconds.Thanks,Mike

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from fusion301:

Who is pinmike and why is he giving away $500

ahahah, i love the sarcasm...it's hard to read through typed words though.

props to pinmike. he may have blown this website right out of the water...even i was callin friends to get them in on the 500$

#36 12 years ago

You underestimated the power of GREED.

But really, $500 is nothing to sneeze at. And most of us would probably be sitting here anyway.

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

I knew it would be exactly like this. And I love it! Haha.

#38 12 years ago

Contest is over!!

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

pinmike said:

WAS AWESOME MIKE THANKS FOR THE THRILL!!!!!!

#40 12 years ago

I agree, $500 is a heck of a lot of money to get to spend on pinball parts! Fantastic, right? I Think it was a great contest and a fun "experiment" at the same time! We shouldn't do this every week, it did take down the server a couple of times but it was a lot of fun watching it. Too bad I couldn't participate, haha!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinmikes-competition-the-rules-have-changed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.