(Topic ID: 156601)

PinMap: Search by wishlister?

By Whysnow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PairODocks (resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I thought this used to be an option?

I would like the ability to be able to see all of those pinsiders with a game on their wishlist in the pinball map.

Right now you can see locations and "owners" but I no longer see a way to have an icon on the map for each "wishlist" person.

6 months later
    #2 7 years ago

Bump!

Any possibility to get this feature?

I often have a game I may think about parting with or attempting to trade.

It would be REALLy nice to view map with just "Wishlisters" showing. That woudl make it easy to reach out to them and see if anyone close by wants to trade.

I see this as being even more useful as trades are becoming more and more common place.

#3 7 years ago

Agree, this would be very helpful.

1 week later
    #4 7 years ago

bump for pinside staff input please

#5 7 years ago

Yes, this would be a great feature.

#6 7 years ago

Robin relayed that although this could be a neat feature, it would negatively affect server performance too much, and there are other features currently in the works that are taking higher priority than this one right now.

#7 7 years ago

bummer

I think this would be a highly used feature and would be something I would be willing to actually pay the gold membership level for.

#8 7 years ago

maybe Robin could start a poll with potential feature ideas and see what people want?

#9 7 years ago

To elaborate a little on this. We used to display wishlisters on the owners map of each game. This was removed because of performance considerations and also because we were getting complaints that people were getting unsolicited e-mails asking if they wanted to buy game x. We then had the idea to create an option in user settings: " it's okay to contact me about wishlist games for sale ", but this never made it into production. I can see how some kind of trading post could be a cool feature and I'll add it to my list of ideas. Feel free to brainstorm about it some more in this thread.

Quoted from Whysnow:

maybe Robin could start a poll with potential feature ideas and see what people want?

That might seem like a good idea, but in my experience it leads to nothing ever getting made. Something about paradox of choice

That doesn't mean I'm always open for great suggestions. Because I am super interested in any idea to improve the site!

#10 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply Robin. Much appreciated.

I dont have much more to brainstorm on this. I guess the option you suggested of allowing people to check " it's okay to contact me about wishlist games for sale " is what I would suggest. I have to think the VAST majority would be clicking that box. I know I would.

I basically see the way of the pinball world gradually becoming more and more of a traders world. We need something to allow users to better connect and work out potential trades.

I see the map feature being integral to this since distance is even a bigger deal when working out a trade.

If the biggest negative is a few people being offered a game for sale unsolicited, well I think that is ok.

I personally would use this feature a ton. For example>>>

I have an ES I am cleaning up this winter. Would be really nice to be able to list it in my collection as "potentially for trade" and have it show up on the map for all wishlisters. Similarly it would be great if I could search the map for wishlisters of ES. Then I could reach out...

"Hey Bob, I saw you are ISO an ES. I saw you also have your WWind listed as potentially for trade. You appear to only live 30min from me. Do you want to discuss a possible trade?"

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I basically see the way of the pinball world gradually becoming more and more of a traders world. We need something to allow users to better connect and work out potential trades. I see the map feature being integral to this since distance is even a bigger deal when working out a trade.

I hear this loud and clear.
    My #1 wish for pinside is -- a few tools are created to facilitate local trades.

-mof

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Something about paradox of choice

Heh Heh... he said paradox...

PairODocks (resized).jpgPairODocks (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinmap-search-by-wishlister and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.