(Topic ID: 2916)

Pinmame cabinet build. New Spring Project :)

By erak

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by HK-Steve
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

imagesCAR8DGP6.PNG
    starwars_006.jpg
    starwars_008.jpg
    starwars_004.jpg
    starwars_002.jpg
    starwars_001.jpg
    starwars_003.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

Well, I sold off my south park machine, and I couldn't decide on what get next so I took the plunge and started to build a Pinmame cabinet with the cash. I know it's not the real thing, but until I decide on my next machine it will do, and keep the girlfriend happy that I'm not swaping machines in/out every month.

So far I have 111 tables running full screen on a 37" monitor, and the fully animated backglass's running on a 23" monitor.

I bought a Nanotech pinball wizard controller, ( should be here soon, shipping)

I have to build (or find) a cabinet to put all this in.

I am thinking on building it similar to a pinball 2000 machine design, and mounting the cpu in the head the same way. I think this would make it alot easier to service than putting everything in the bottom cabinet, under the large monitor.

I can put the subwoofer in the bottom cabinet, and have the cpu in the top behind the backglass monitor.

Since I have the pinball 2000 machines I can measure and build it to scale. it would be the same size.

Just wondering thoughts on cabinet art? I want it to be original, but have done alot of stuff lately and have writers/artist block.

And also if pin 2000 complete flipper buttons mechs are available from any suppliers? the two button combo would work great and look sweet to mod into the cabinet.

Anyone have any williams coin doors lying around? I have called around locally but no one wants to sell used.

I will have some pics soon. Once I break out the table saw and start cutting.
    I still have 2 other custom projects on the go as well. Yikes!

#2 13 years ago

That is a sweet project. If the mame program has the right physics, it could be an awesome way to have all your favorite tables. As far as the cabinet art goes, it should be old school. Something along the lines of the old EM stencils. Would you rather build the cabinet or sacrifice an old machine? If you go with an old machine you could just enhance the side art.

Hell, if it turns out well I will have you build one for me. Are you going to integrate regular arcade controls and have it be able to play video games too?

#3 13 years ago

I picked up my Happ WMS replacement coindoor and legs today. I was thinking of putting arcade games in as well but I already have a mame cabinet and it would kind of defeat the purpose of a pin cabinet. As of today I have 116 full screen real tables loaded and working with Backglass animations/lights and scores/DMD's.

I think I am going to build the cabinet from scratch. I was looking at an ultrapin today and I think I can do it. Plus I have the woodworking tools tools.

Side rails and lockdown bar are on their way as well.

Here are some pics

#4 13 years ago

Try to repost pics.

starwars_003.jpgstarwars_003.jpg starwars_001.jpgstarwars_001.jpg starwars_002.jpgstarwars_002.jpg starwars_004.jpgstarwars_004.jpg starwars_008.jpgstarwars_008.jpg starwars_006.jpgstarwars_006.jpg

#5 13 years ago

Table List, incase anyone is interested:
    50/50
    Abra ca dabra
    Air aces
    Airport
    Alien poker
    Amazing Spiderman (gottlieb)
    Astroblast (hyperball ripoff)
    Revenge from mars
    Attack from mars
    Back to the future
    Bad cats
    Baywatch
    Big spender (original gambling)
    Black knight
    BK2000
    Black pyramid
    Black rose
    Bonebusters
    Bubble bobble (original based on arcade)
    Cactus canyon
    centaur
    Cirqus Voltaire
    Comet
    CFTBL
    Cyclone
    Dark Quest (original)
    Dead hunters (original)
    Dirty harry
    dr who
    dr dude
    earthshaker
    eight ball deluxe
    Elvira and Party monsters
    Elvis (Stern)
    evel knievel
    F-14 tomcat
    fathom
    fireball
    firepower
    fish tales
    flash gordon
    flintstones
    frankenstein
    funhouse
    gilligans island
    gorgar
    grand lizard
    guns and roses
    harlem globetrotters
    hayburners
    hurricane
    Independence day
    Indiana jones (WMS)
    indy 500
    jack bot
    joker poker
    Jokerz!
    Jurassic park
    KISS
    Lethal weapon 3
    lord of the rings
    Mata Hari
    Medieval castle (original)
    medieval madness
    meg man (arcade original)
    metal slug (original SNK)
    Monster bash
    Mortal kombat (original)
    No good gophers
    party zone
    penthouse (Harlem globetrotters conversion)
    pinball pool
    Pinbot
    Roadshow
    Ripley's believe it or not
    Road girls (original)
    Roller coaster tycoon
    Scared stiff
    seawitch
    silverball mania
    Simpsons pinball party
    sorcerer
    south park
    spaceinvaders
    Spiderman (Stern)
    strange science
    Star trek
    Star trek Next gen
    star wars Data east
    starship troopers
    strikes and spares
    super mario bros
    tales from the crypt
    TAXI
    T2
    the addams family
    the game show bally
    Batman the dark knight (Stern)
    the getaway
    the machine bride of pinbot
    phantom of the opera
    the shadow
    the simpsons data east
    theater of magic
    three angels (original)
    TMNT
    Tommy
    Tales of the arabian nights
    Twilight zone
    Twister
    whirlwind
    who dunnit
    worl cup soccer
    Xenon

I have way more to possibly add, but most left are old EM titles, so I'm leaving them out for now.

Total cost so far $1400. That includes all hardware cpu/monitors legs buttons, etc. Total time spent setting up tables and software 20 hrs.

I figure another 16 to build the cabinet, painted black. Then I will start on the artwork.

#6 13 years ago

Great work Erak

#7 13 years ago

wow. simply wow. thats pretty rick lass.

#8 13 years ago

Erak, I'm interested in doing this too since I'm running out of space

I would love to see how you progress with this? I am keen to know how it plays. How much does it resemble the real thing, can you nudge the machine left/right or upwards? Are the physics anywhere near real ball physics?

From the photos the machine playfield and dmd look way out of proportion (stretched) - is this fixable?

#9 13 years ago

Hyper radical! If your machine ends up being better than Wizard of Oz, I am going to be very disappointed. Where did you find the software?

#10 13 years ago

This is the controller I bought to mod, I'm gonna put the guts inside the cabinet. It is around $100 cheaper to buy the whole thing than the parts seperately. YES, you can nudge the ball and do bang backs, it also has a fully working plunger.

http://nanotechent.com/pinball-wizard.php

#11 13 years ago

If you don't mind my asking, how much is this project going to set you back?

#12 13 years ago

You build the coolest stuff, Man! I still remember that awesome Evil Dead pinball you did.

#13 13 years ago

How is the game play?

#14 13 years ago

So far I've spent $1400 Canadian on it. I only have to get the plywood or MDF to build the cabinet, I figure another $100 or so with wood and hardware, screws/bolts etc.

As far as the game play goes, I really like it, it will be waaaay better once I get it in a cabinet with flipper buttons though.

Since it uses the actual game roms, the DMD emulation is exact, along with menus for audits etc.

The ball physics on Virtualpinball are awesome, Future pinball not quite as good but the lighting effects are better. Thats why I am running both on the Hyperpin frontend.

There are new tables coming out all the time, AWESOME!
    supposidly coming soon
    Junk Yard
    Big Bang Bar
    Rolling Stones (new version, Yuck but its free)
    King kong
    King pin
    Johnny Mnemonic

thats just a few.

I just have the problem of designing the vinyl graphics for the cabinet, I can't decide what I want to do. I was thinking something sort of like this for the side art only modded a bit more, maybe some other pin characters added in but the colours kept the same. BBB is a beautiful cabinet (quick mock up in pic) But I am open to suggestions, they help the design process a lot.
    But the cabinet is going to look close to a pin 2000. It will be easier to cool the cpu, and access it for upgrades. Plus the smaller size of the cab will fit the playfield monitor perfect.

imagesCAR8DGP6.PNGimagesCAR8DGP6.PNG

#15 13 years ago

That would be sweet, particularly if you could change out some of the patrons for pinball favorites. Pinbot, BOP, BK, Rod Sterling, King of Payne, AFM Alien, or the Ringmaster to name a few.

#16 13 years ago

Looks great, erak! I've spent quite a bit of time playing on a nice one, and I have to say it's pretty fun.

On a side note, did any of you happen to catch that video on YouTube of the dude who put all those coils in his v-pin? It was pretty insane. I wish I had a link to it.

#17 13 years ago

erak,
    This looks really cool. I looked at this system about 6 months ago,
    But looks like they have done lots of work and improved the whole system.

Where are the tables downloaded from? all my links are gone after hard drive crash.
    Is there a "How to" from step 1 to completed?

Much Appreciated.
    Cheers
    Steve

#18 13 years ago

Looks great, erak! I've spent quite a bit of time playing on a nice one, and I have to say it's pretty fun.

On a side note, did any of you happen to catch that video on YouTube of the dude who put all those coils in his v-pin? It was pretty insane. I wish I had a link to it.

Is this the one ?

#19 13 years ago

Good tune going with those flippers

#20 13 years ago

"That would be sweet, particularly if you could change out some of the patrons for pinball favorites. Pinbot, BOP, BK, Rod Sterling, King of Payne, AFM Alien, or the Ringmaster to name a few."

Thats what I am thinking of doing, you pretty much got all the right ones too. Psysic?

There is a how to and start to finish tutorial. Just google pinmame, virtual pin, or future pinball. There are lots of sites forums etc. and it is all FREEWARE!

Its the setup and build materials that will cost you.

But you can also purchase premade cabinets online for $5000 +. Or build yourself for just under $2000. Mine will probably be about $1700 after all is said and done, artwork printing included.

#21 13 years ago

thx for the post im looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

#22 13 years ago

just spent the 2hrs going through all the tutorials etc...

Now to start and get all the gear together and build.

Cheers

#23 13 years ago

Just make sure to get a decent graphics card, I am using a GeForce GT 240. It works great and has HDMI outputs, and 3D capable $99.99

#24 13 years ago

erak,
    Thanks for the tip on the video card.
    What is the spec of the rest of your equipment?

I have a Core2 processor here, just need to check the speed, plus 4Gb ram,
    will check the video card,

This was my old server, but now replaced with 2x 40Tb servers.

Cheers

#25 13 years ago

Going based on the Pinmame forums...Generally, the consensus has been that a dual core, 2.0Ghz processor and 2Gb of RAM.

Mine is running Dual core, 3.0 Ghz and 4Gb and it runs really nice and loads fast, less than 4 sec to load a table, the menu loads instantly with no lag. DMD run perfect (so do animated backglasses) The grafics card helps alot. I tried it wth the mother board integrated card first (after building it, incase I wanted to return the vid card)but it was sometimes choppy.

You also have to update he video card software, it will not run dual monitor properly with the DMD without the factory update, from the vid card manufacturer.

Technically this can be bought cheap. I got mine brand new, built it myself. with the $100 video card cost me $350 taxes included. That includes a 500 gb Hard Drive. ( you only need about 60 gb for everything)And DVD RW I just installed windows xp myself. Or windows 7. You don't really need a tower, just the power supply. But the shop threw in the tower with power supply for free for buying everything at once.

#26 13 years ago

Nice!! I've been looking at pinmame machines and I definitely would love to have one. It would be nice to have one machine I didn't have to constantly clean switches and change bulbs in!!

#27 13 years ago

You should totally put a Dr Dude on that cabinet.

#28 13 years ago

Thanks erak,
    After messing around all sunday, I still had problems.
    When loading say, 2001 in Hyperpin, I get the backglass displayed, but a blank playfield screen.
    Plus a beep, but I can't see the error, as the screen stays blank.

I am running Dual Core 2.6Ghz, with 2Gb ram,just upgraded to 4Gb and installing Windows 7 now.
    but using onboard Video.
    No spare Video cards lying around at the moment.

Searching for a solution, so will cruise the forums.

Cheers

#29 13 years ago

HK-Steve. Not sure if this would help, but this link says something about disabling error messages and such. Maybe that would let you bypass the error:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=431

#30 13 years ago

You have to open it and make sure it runs in Virtual Pin or future pin whatever you are using. Then you have to edit the .xml file with notepad and make sure your table names in your tables folder match exactly to the game name in the .xml file in hyperpin database folder either the future pin xml or visual pin xml.

Future pinball requires you to open first, (in Future pinball.exe) and size with the sizing tab. cntr/prnt screen brings up the menu then pg up/pg dn. switches between scaling/centering the table image and backglass.

All the images have to match the discription in the .xml as well, or they wont show up. Open them with notepad, edit what needs to be edited then click "save as" and overwrite the previous file.

Eg. your tale name in your table folder should match the quoted part exactly and yopur images should match the description line exactly as well if it is any different it wont work.

Also you might have to swith the compatability mode in the preferences tab.

<game name="2001_V200">
    <description>2001 (Gottlieb 1971)</description>
    <manufacturer>Gottlieb</manufacturer>
    <year>1971</year>
    <type>EM</type>

Also make sure your Hyperpin settings paths are set up properly, you can change your paths if they are in different places save and exit. Eg.

[Future Pinball]
    Show_Games = true
    Exe = Future Pinball.exe
    Path = C:\Games\Future Pinball\
    Table_Path = C:\Games\Future Pinball\Tables\
    Table_Video_Path = C:\HyperPin\Media\Future Pinball\Table Videos\
    Table_Image_Path = C:\HyperPin\Media\Future Pinball\Table Images\
    Backglass_Image_Path= C:\HyperPin\Media\Future Pinball\Backglass Images\

1 week later
    #31 13 years ago

erak, appreciate the help.

I can run in both Future and Visual Pinball, but not in HyperPin.
    I used the xml editor, did as described, but still blank table screen.Back Glass is good.
    All paths are correct. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Compatability mode is set to xp service pack 3, as suggested in the setup guide,
    I am running Windows 7.

Artwork Check tab, has "No images Available" greyed out.

I do have a reputation of breaking any software, even from a clean install as my friends keep telling me. I should be a beta tester as I can find all the bugs of how not to get it to run.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers
    Steve

#32 13 years ago

Does Hyperpin load and show the tables? And when you push enter on a tab on a table does it say anything (windows error tab) or does it go black when loading the .exe? If it goes totally black and does not load it may be an improper xml file. If anything is missing like a < or > hyperpin will not LOAD AT ALL it will go totally black. It will also kick you back to your desktop. I had this issue when I copied a xml and pasted it.

I missed the < at the beginning of .... eg.
    <game name="2001_V200">

If < or " are not there on any line hyperpin databases it will not load, just check all your modified (added xml script)

Each should look like this

<game name="GAME NAME exactly as it is saved in FP or VP tables folder">
    <description> WHAT THE ARTWORK FILES ARE NAMED </description>
    <manufacturer> MANUFACTURER </manufacturer>
    <year>19**</year>
    <type>EMor SS</type>
    </game>

Make sure you leave the last line </game> alone, it stays like it is, and can't be missing.

All artwork files need to be in their proper folders (wheel image,backglass, table) and named exactly the same. Check spelling and spaces. (some of the dowloadable media packs have spelling errors so if they differ from the description line they wont show)

Good luck, any other questions PM me.

I'm up to 153 tables and counting.

#33 13 years ago

I will PM you, rather than keep going here.

Appreciate your help via PM.

Cheers
    Steve

#34 13 years ago

Erak! Erak! Erak!!!

Dude... that's going to be sweet!!

G

#35 13 years ago

Appreciate your help with this. I seem to pretty much break every software I lay my hands on.

So I went through your last post,

Yes, HyperPin shows the table and the backglass.
    I press enter, and the table seems to load as I get the Future Pinball Logo, this where I get the blank playfield screen, back Glass is displayed on the 2nd monitor, no error beeps.
    I press "esc" and the HyperPin comes back.

I went through the xml, it has all the < and > as you described and in the right places.

At the moment, I am just trying to load 2001.

This is my xml for 2001

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>
    - <menu>
    - <game name="2001_V200">
    <description>2001 (Gottlieb 1971)</description>
    <manufacturer>Gottlieb</manufacturer>
    <year>1971</year>
    <type>EM</type>
    </game>

So, Where do you think I should go from here??

I just also had a thought, so I ran the task manager, to see what was happening,
    I see 4 tasks running,

Future Pinball - [2001 - (C:GamesFuture PinballTables\2001_V200.fpt)]
    Future Pinball - © 2008 BSP Software Design Solutions
    HGlass1
    HyperPin

The artwork files, where do these come from?
    From the instructions I have, all you need was the 2001.zip, which is the fpt file.
    No indication of other files required, maybe this is where my problem is??

Much Appreciated.
    Cheers
    Steve

p.s. sent PM, but it seemed to miss all the <>

#36 13 years ago

Open the table in Future pinball, open the video rendering options tab at the top in preferences. set it up for full screen 2 monitors and playfield rotation and fixed view.

Then click on play table: then do this

This tutorial is located in the help file under rendering options:

Pressing Scroll-Lock will allow you to adjust (scroll and resize) the display(backglass and playfield) so you can fill it with the backbox monitor and playfield monitor.

This will bring up a adjustment menu (as pictured below) which allows you to adjust the position of the graphical display, You do this with with the keypad keys 4/6 (scroll left/right), 8/2 (scroll up and down) . The currently adjustable setting is highlighted in RED. You can change between the adjustments by using Page Up and Page Down.

When you have the backbox displaying how you would like then you will have to save the table (when returned to the editor) for the settings to be saved so they can be used the next time you run this table. Pressing Scroll-Lock again will exit the adjustment mode. When in adjustment mode the translate and scale positions are displayed on the second monitor.

If set to fullscreen/ arcade mode /playfield rotated and 1024x600 res (the scale adjustmenu) will show up on the playfield.

is this located at the top of your xml?
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>
    if so delete it, it should just start with the <menu>

#37 13 years ago

Eric, You are awesome, appreciate your help.

So far, I finally have a table on my playfield screen, BUT no backbox image, just blank screen.

I have the Use second monitor as backbox - Ticked
    Playfield as Display 1, 1920x1080
    Fullscreen and Arcade Mode ticked
    Widescreen for the playfield, 4x3 for the backbox
    Display 2 for backbox, 1280x1024
    Fullscreen and Arcade Mode ticked
    4x3 aspect for the backbox

Plus changed to Fixed View.

The playfield is now scaled correctly, but had to do a lot of adjustments.
    Is this normal??
    This is still 2001_V200

Translate : 540.50 / -999.50
    Scale : 2.13 / 2.94
    Backbox : 191.00 / 273.50
    Scale : I didn't touch as I could not find the image.

Cheers
    Steve

#38 13 years ago

Erak, I built a pinball cabinet from scratch to replace my Gorgar which was damaged in a building fire. It wasn't hard at all to build. You should be able to knock it out in a weekend (not including paint / graphics). I had the original cabinet to get measurements from and see how the parts were assembled, etc... I used a higher grade of plywood than the original cabinet had, but I'm very happy with the final cabinet.

I modeled the cabinet in a 3d CAD program in case anyone is interested, I can share the documents.

If you get time, can you post where you got the monitors you're using? They look great for the build and I was just curious since you said your at $1400 so far with all the parts.

This looks like a great project!!

G

#39 13 years ago

So far, I finally have a table on my playfield screen, BUT no backbox image, just blank screen

You may have to download another HGlass file update. for the backglass to show. I did this before installation of FP. This is a support for active backglasses file. Just read the instructions on how to install before dowloading, (tells you where to save/overwrite)

You do not have to change or add anything for Future pinball just overwrite the existing file. For Visual Pinball it involves adding the lines in the download doc. and making a new file and changing file names.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?s=528412856514ca04a0e746daada43ad5&automodule=downloads&req=idx&cmd=viewdetail&f_id=2591

As far as the monitors go, I bought them both from Walmart $659 for the PF monitor LG 37"1080p. and $100 on clearance (last one in store) new, not opened, for the ACER 23"backglass cpu monitor.

1 week later
    #41 13 years ago

Man, I should be a beta tester for every software, as I seem to break everything, even on a fresh install.

I did install the updated HGlass file Eric, but it seems I had a corrupt file. Of course I did.
    Re-downloaded, now all is good after some messing around.

I put in a GTS450 video card, Video is awesome now.

Appreciate all the help.
    I am sure I can break something else on it soon.

Cheers
    Steve

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinmame-cabinet-build-new-spring-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.