• Latest reply 4 years ago by stevevt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

93CD5FD3-C36C-407E-980A-49DD4D589EA5 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

So i have a PINled installed in my Black Knight 2000. I’ve started to have an issue with the bottom display. Only the bottom display has all of the commas lite for some reason. Supposedly there is a 5 year warranty on the display. Here is my correspondence via email with Andreas @ PINled

07/13/2019 Me
Hello. I purchased one of your displays on September 9th, 2016 & I’m having an issue with it. All but one of the commas on the bottom display are illuminated. When i change out the display on the machine (its a Black Knight 2000) the commas are no longer present. only when this exact display is plugged in it gives me that issue. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance

07/14/2019 Andreas reply (24hours later)
Did you change the setting of the DIP switches?
1 to on, 2, 3, 4 to off.

07/14/2019 reply (Me)
i did not but let me look at that. i had the display out so maybe i bumped into the dip switches.

07/14/2019 Andres
Is the dot or the comma or both present?

07/14/2019 reply (Me)
the dip switch is set correctly. The display use to work correct. it just started so this within the past month.
just the comma, not the dot. when i flip switch 4 on the dot appears. with switch 4 off it’s just the comma that illuminates.

07/15/2019 Andres reply
please try a other flat cable.

07/15/2019 reply (Me)
I tried two different cables other then the cable in BK2k. I own a Whirlwind and a Police Force. I tried both of those cables & the display still has the same issue.

07/16/2019 Andres reply (24hours later)
So you can also swap it into a other game....
Is it the same fault?

07/16/2019 reply (Me)
I placed that display into my Whirlwind machine & it is still the same issue. I’ve changed the cable, I’ve tried another machine, i made sure the dip switches are correct. I believe there is an issue with the display itself. What is the next plan of action to get this issue rectified?

07/17/2019 Andres reply (another 24 hours later)
I think the best way is to me the display for repair. (which by the way is in Germany)

07/19/2019 reply (Me)
So you sell a product with a 5 year warranty but i have to pay out of my own pocket to send this display back to another country to get it fix? That answer is a no. I purchased your product that you have a warranty for. I will not be paying for anything out of pocket. Plus if i send my display to you how long will it take to fix? Do i just have a pinball machine sitting here for months on end waiting for the display that i spent my money on? How else can you fix this issue because sending my display back is not an option.

07/19/2019 Andres reply
So leave it as it is....

So there you have it! If you purchase a PINled display & something goes wrong, good luck!
93CD5FD3-C36C-407E-980A-49DD4D589EA5 (resized).jpeg93CD5FD3-C36C-407E-980A-49DD4D589EA5 (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

what does the warranty state? maybe the warranty covers free repair, but you have to pay for shipping?

#3 4 years ago

Errr that’s totally normal imo.
You want something fixed, you have to send it to the company that you bought it from.
They might send you a replacement and send you a returning label but that’s up to them and not covered by any law that I know of at least in Germany.

#4 4 years ago

Yeah, pretty common for a warranty to not cover shipping the product back to get fixed.

#5 4 years ago

They aren't amazon.

I just RMAed a hard drive that failed under warranty, and I had to pay for shipping. But, they will pay for shipping a replacement back to me.

It's normal. A few companies will cover shipping both ways, but most won't.

#6 4 years ago

People really think all these small boutique companies selling pinball parts have piles of cash and can just afford to pay your shipping for 5 years.

Ain't a big deal. Send it back. Where I come from $10 for shipping costs less than a $180 display.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People really think all these small boutique companies selling pinball parts have piles of cash and can just afford to pay your shipping for 5 years.
Ain't a big deal. Send it back. Where I come from $10 for shipping costs less than a $180 display.

^. This. The world doesn’t revolve around somebody’s PinLED

And by the way, edit your thread title unless you want to be accused of slagging a company for totally normal business process

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

^. This. The world doesn’t revolve around somebody’s PinLED
And by the way, edit your thread title unless you want to be accused of slagging a company for totally normal business process

Yes, for the record a 5 year warranty is pretty sweet.

#9 4 years ago

Better to be out shipping cost than board cost!

#10 4 years ago

It’s not like it was defective out of the box... you’ve been using it for 3 years. Paying shipping for a free repair is totally reasonable. It is you sir who are being unreasonable.

Edit: and why do you note the amount of time it took him to respond? All were next-day at worst, and there’s a huge time difference between you. Oh, you expect him to sit there online 24 hours a day waiting for your email? Got it.

#11 4 years ago

Sorry, I agree with them. 5 years is a long time especially for a electrical product. Most electronics are 90 days top.

Even at that, almost all places require you to pay shipping to them and they cover return shipping.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

It’s not like it was defective out of the box... you’ve been using it for 3 years. Paying shipping for a free repair is totally reasonable. It is you sir who are being unreasonable.

Yep, this is spot on.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Edit: and why do you note the amount of time it took him to respond? All were next-day at worst, and there’s a huge time difference between you. Oh, you expect him to sit there online 24 hours a day waiting for your email? Got it.

This is literally the OPs only pinside post in 7 years.

And while I know it doesn't MEAN anything, he doesn't even have a BK2K listed in his collection!

#14 4 years ago

Maybe PINled has some old stock they want to clear
A good way to market their products lol

#16 4 years ago

There i edited the title. lol. I unfortunately work in a big box store where i see everything replaced. I understand that small companies don’t have unlimited funds, rdoyle1978 (thanks for your delightful insight but I know how economics work), but I obviously feel like the company should pay for the shipping back. Why am i out of more $? I already gave them the money to cover the cost of my display AND defects for 5 years when i originally purchased it. That was part of the deal, right? Something like this makes me steer away from the purchasing anything from this company again. I don’t care if anyone agrees with my opinion or not, this was an issue I wanted to bring attention too so someone else can make an educated purchasing decision in the future.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

This is literally the OPs only pinside post in 7 years.
And while I know it doesn't MEAN anything, he doesn't even have a BK2K listed in his collection!

I don’t usually come here because there are some pretentious people who hang out here. Looks like I found one.

#18 4 years ago

A USPS flat rate international shipping box will cost ~$40.00 I think you should just ship it back and be happy they will fix it. They don't have to offer a 5 year warranty and it's nice to know that the stand behind it.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from clug555:

There i edited the title. lol. I unfortunately work in a big box store where i see everything replaced. I understand that small companies don’t have unlimited funds, rdoyle1978 (thanks for your delightful insight but I know how economics work), but I obviously feel like the company should pay for the shipping back. Why am i out of more $? I already gave them the money to cover the cost of my display AND defects for 5 years when i originally purchased it. That was part of the deal, right? Something like this makes me steer away from the purchasing anything from this company again. I don’t care if anyone agrees with my opinion or not, this was an issue I wanted to bring attention too so someone else can make an educated purchasing decision in the future.

So fly to Germany and bring it to him in person if you want to save the shipping charge.

If someone has a problem from your big box store, do they bring it to you or do you pay for the shipping?

#20 4 years ago

No, returns are not covered by any warranty.
Some big companies return it at their cost as part of their service and people get used to it.
If they decide from today on to not take returns on their cost would you stilop buying from them?
What sort of warranty do you have normally in the states? 90 days? And you used it for how long now? 3 years? Your are still in warranty, sure. Come on, will these 40 bucks kill you or is it even worth complaining about a 40 dollar shipping note? We spend thousands of dollars for this hobby...

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from clug555:

but I obviously feel like the company should pay for the shipping back.

Getting upset with a company that doesn't cover return shipping is a bit of an entitled viewpoint. It's not how things work for the most part.

Most companies are under no obligation to cover return shipping. Some do as a matter of customer service, and it's apparent that you've been spoiled by that. So, that might encourage you to buy more products in the future knowing that one company covers it making the return process easy, while another might not.

I consider it a perk when a company does cover it, but I never expect them to.

#22 4 years ago

07/19/2019 reply (Me)
So you sell a product with a 5 year warranty but i have to pay out of my own pocket to send this display back to another country to get it fix? That answer is a no. I purchased your product that you have a warranty for. I will not be paying for anything out of pocket. Plus if i send my display to you how long will it take to fix? Do i just have a pinball machine sitting here for months on end waiting for the display that i spent my money on? How else can you fix this issue because sending my display back is not an option."

07/19/2019 Andres reply
So leave it as it is....

Next time I'm in Germany I'll buy Andres a beer.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Brypten:

So fly to Germany and bring it to him in person if you want to save the shipping charge.
If someone has a problem from your big box store, do they bring it to you or do you pay for the shipping?

yes to both.

#24 4 years ago

Thread title is terrible, now PinLed’s warranty is great, I mean where else are you going to get a 5yr warranty on pinball electronics?
Albeit one does have to pay to return the product on their own dime.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from clug555:

I don’t usually come here because there are some pretentious people who hang out here. Looks like I found one.

Hahaha, I just love the attention. Btw, look up the meaning of pretentious and you’ll see that that statement is a touch ironic.

For what it’s worth, the PinLed in my BK2K is fine. Hope you get your situation resolved.

#26 4 years ago

I’m sorry but 5 years warranty for anything is rock solid. Don’t want to pay for international shipping? Don’t buy internationally.

...Or buy internationally but only from companies with 1 year warranties so you’re SOL at this point and can’t complain here.

#27 4 years ago

§ 439 Abs. 2 BGB governs this

If there is a fault the vendor must be enabled to inspect. This is done by shipping it to him.
Vendor must pay for shipment, if the product is actually faulty. If he finds it not to be faulty upon inspection, the customer who raised false alarm pays.

End of story. Thats the beauty of continental law.

#28 4 years ago

Next time my Chevy needs warranty work I am going to demand that GM sends a tow truck to get it.

#29 4 years ago

Your entire thread is just wrong. Sounds like the company did exactly what they should have and even offered good advice to troubleshoot followed immediately by an offer to repair. Seems 100%. You need to change title and not post this crap.

#30 4 years ago

Next time you take a product back to a store to exchange it, make sure to ask them for gas money.

#31 4 years ago

The company should not pay return shipping, such complete nonsense and kudos to Andres.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Next time you take a product back to a store to exchange it, make sure to ask them for gas money.

Better pay for parking too!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from clug555:

I don’t care if anyone agrees with my opinion or not, this was an issue I wanted to bring attention too so someone else can make an educated purchasing decision in the future.

Thanks for the warning. I will certainly avoid dealing with one of the parties mentioned in your first post.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
4,500 (OBO)
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinleds-terrible-warranty-?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.