Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Anyone make these? I guess the market would be limited. I would love to have a set for my Playboy. I think they could look good on a few other games as well, such as CFTBL maybe.

#2 11 years ago

I think if you put a white set in the correct dye you could make some pink. Might take some experimenting but it would be fun. Find the best product and process and sell a rubber ring coloring kit. That would be bad ass. You could make any color for any game. Kinda like an Easter egg coloring kit. Might be popular with the super modders. You would need to find something that would not come off on the ball. Maybe over expose the color and remove as much as possible to reach your target color so there's no color left that will come off.

#4 11 years ago

Yeah, take it from someone that's tried to dye rubber rings before... regardless of what anyone claims, it's not easy to do , and the results are kind of "meh".

Best results I've had were vinegar + Rit dye and boiling the rings in it for 20 minutes or so. And after I was done, I couldn't even stand to touch the stupid things because the feel of them was like rubberized chalk and sandpaper. I did turn a white ring blue though.

#5 11 years ago

Sharpie?

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnkinkokomo:

Anyone make these? I guess the market would be limited. I would love to have a set for my Playboy. I think they could look good on a few other games as well, such as CFTBL maybe.

I have the pink post rubbers on my Creech, but not sure about for the flipper rubbers. Really like the green.

I have found that different colored rubbers have very different qualities for play. Why is that?

Dan

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Why is that?

I believe the diff'rent colors equal a diff'rent hardness level of the rubber.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

I have the pink post rubbers on my Creech, but not sure about for the flipper rubbers. Really like the green.
    I have found that different colored rubbers have very different qualities for play. Why is that?
    Dan

Different durometer of the rubber. Why? I don't know the technical reason why they can't make white and black rubber with the same durometer. Seems absurd to me that nobody does, but you've got to figure it really comes down to cost and old fart mentality of "that's the way it's always been, I'm not gonna mess with it!"

#9 11 years ago

Has anyone ever charted the colors of the rubbers from hard (control) to soft (bouncy)?

From the colors I have used I guess I would put them as Black, Green, Yellow, Red increasing in livliness.

Dan

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Here. Long live google!
    » YouTube video

OOoooooohhh Jerri....Swoon.

#11 11 years ago

I always thought it was bk,bl,rd,grn,yel,wh in order of firm and getting softer.

#12 11 years ago

Baywatch manual calls for pink flipper rubber if i am not mistaken. I think my dad's baywatch even has pink flipper rubber on it still (unshopped reimport from germany).

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I always thought it was bk,bl,rd,grn,yel,wh in order of firm and getting softer.

My experience has been that red are far softer than the green or yellow. I had to take red off Creech and keep the green to have any chance of extending play. I would guess blue would be where you have it, but surprised at where you have red. Never tried white.

Think I may start a new thread on this.

Dan

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Think I may start a new thread on this.

There's already been a bunch...unless you've got an actual way to determine the durometer, and fresh rubber on hand from all suppliers in all colors, don't really see anything new being discussed...

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

There's already been a bunch...unless you've got an actual way to determine the durometer, and fresh rubber on hand from all suppliers in all colors, don't really see anything new being discussed...

May not be , but there is a large influx of new people that can share perspective on any old issue.

Durometer is objective, which isn't really informative. Preference is more interesting and why.

Dan

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

Durometer is objective, which isn't really informative.
    Dan

That's an opinion, not a fact.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

Preference is more interesting and why.

Generally, I agree with this statement, but already been a ton of discussion on the subject.

As a relevant aside, I've never seen "pink" flipper rubber for sale anywhere...just old dried out red.

*edit* Actually, I lie...where did I see that.....maybe I did see hot pink rubber... hrm..

#17 11 years ago

Switching from Orange to Green on my TSPP flippers really allowed me better feel and better control - green feels less numb than orange.

I have a couple hot pink post sleeves on the game and they fit right in with the wacky color scheme.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

That's an opinion, not a fact.
    Generally, I agree with this statement, but already been a ton of discussion on the subject.
    As a relevant aside, I've never seen "pink" flipper rubber for sale anywhere...just old dried out red.
    *edit* Actually, I lie...where did I see that.....maybe I did see hot pink rubber... hrm..

Frax:

You're right about the opinion part. I guess I meant a number on a scale wouldn't be as informative as the feel and effect of that number on play. I am guessing durometer is denoted as a numerical value. The durometer would be a standard but not everyone would agree on preference for a certain value of durometer on any particular game. People could prefer different durometers depending upon whether a game has more or less flow, longer or tighter shots, etc.

Topics are often repeated over time. Doesn't seem to be a lack of space available. Or is there some etiquette issue I am missing? Honest question.

Dan

#19 11 years ago

Just gets old seeing the same thing over and over again IMO, but then again, there's really only so much that CAN be discussed in a closed field like pinball...it's not like there's anyone trying to innovate in the field of flipper rubber! Guess I'm just feeling a bit crochety today, lol.

Durometer is expressed as a numerical value, yes. I don't remember the technicalities of it, but IMO, without buying all of it, I think it would be a good "starting point" for comparison for someone that doesn't want to buy 5 different colors of rubber just to find out they don't like the way it plays, or worse, that it's completely DIFFERENT than what they were expecting.

#20 11 years ago

i did try to find some for my playboy, nope doesn't exist.

got purple out of curiosity... meh!

#21 11 years ago

Flipper rubber is cheap so just buy a bunch of different types, brands & colors.

PBL has more nylon than Happ

Expect slight variations with each future batch too.

Here is something interesting... On FGY you cannot rest the ball on the post to make the Lois/Chris show with PBL rubber, only Happ.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pink-or-hot-pink-flipper-rubber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.