Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG953590_01.jpg
    IMG953588_01.jpg
    IMG953589.jpg
    IMG_20180402_193522.jpg
    IMG_20180402_193540.jpg
    IMG_20180402_194706 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180402_192919 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180402_194714 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I have been loving my Total Nuclear Annihilation so much that I've been inspired to try my hand at building my own game. I've been thinking about a theme for awhile and think Pink Floyd is what I'm going to focus on. I came to the idea because Dark Side of the Moon is my favorite album of all time and watching the amazing light show on TNA just make me think how cool it would be to make some psychedelic light shows on a DSOTM pinball.

I'm going to use a firepower I just picked up at the Ohio Show as the donor machine. I originally purchased the game as project but have moved it into the parts category because it is just too far gone to bring back to life economically.

I plan on using the Firepower layout as a base with some alterations.

I'm looking to the community here to help me with rules and modes and gameplay suggestions as well as selecting the best hardware.

I think I'm going to go with the mission pinball framework to build the game since I am really familiar with Python already and have gone thru the documentation and it looks pretty solid.

I am also leaning towards using fast pinball hardware and a LCD display as the screen.

I'm not sure what to use as far as a PC for running the actual game. I'd like to use a Raspberry Pi but it seems like it might not be powerful enough. Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics of the donor machine.

IMG_20180402_194714 (resized).jpgIMG_20180402_194714 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180402_192919 (resized).jpgIMG_20180402_192919 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180402_194706 (resized).jpgIMG_20180402_194706 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180402_193540.jpgIMG_20180402_193540.jpg
    IMG_20180402_193522.jpgIMG_20180402_193522.jpg
    IMG953589.jpgIMG953589.jpg
    IMG953588_01.jpgIMG953588_01.jpg
    IMG953590_01.jpgIMG953590_01.jpg

#2 6 years ago

F yea! Now this is a music pin I could get behind as it has made my "dream pin" list.
    Already following...

#3 6 years ago

Can't wait to see what you come up with Matt pink floyd Is a great theme.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

F yea! Now this is a music pin I could get behind as it has made my "dream pin" list.
    Already following...

I'm actually surprised noone has made one yet. I can't wait to play some money multiball!!

Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Can't wait to see what you come up with Matt pink floyd Is a great theme.

Thanks dude - I might hit you up on rules suggestions.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I'm actually surprised noone has made one yet. I can't wait to play some money multiball!!

Thanks dude - I might hit you up on rules suggestions.

Sure I would be happy to help with rules.

#6 6 years ago

Following!

So many possibilities.

Using the track Time.

Hit the center targets 3 x each and then have a huge jackpot that counts down ( similar to IM ) , that must be collected by making the spinner shot.

#7 6 years ago

So I'm thinking as far as lighting and art that I want to make the PF and plastics use only black and white. I'd like to install addressable LED strips in a stadium format that allow the entire playfield to be a controlled color.

With the addressable leds you can control each LED so you could light different portions of the field with different colors.

#8 6 years ago

OK,well,be sure to listen to early PF,like "The Piper at the gates of dawn: you better Watch out for that ax Eugene!!!!

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,well,be sure to listen to early PF,like "The Piper at the gates of dawn: you better Watch out for that ax Eugene!!!!

Grimble Grumble baby..

#10 6 years ago

With a Syd Barrett mode for some psychedelic fun Baby Lemonade, Octopus and See Emily Play, for example.

Now, Pink Floyd is a music pin I would happily consider buying. The problem is, you would want to play just one game and it would go on for 25 minutes

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballs:

Now, Pink Floyd is a music pin I would happily consider buying.

Feel free to send me a deposit. /s

#12 6 years ago

I will certainly be following this. Pink Floyd is one of my all time favorite bands. Just saw Brit Floyd Sat night. Ive see them every time they come to my area. They were amazing as usual. If you have never heard of them then you should check them out.

#13 6 years ago

Awesome! We’d love to see a theme like this come to life!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Awesome! We’d love to see a theme like this come to life!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Glad you're here. Any advice on the computing hardware I should use to power FAST? I'm planning on cobbling together my order this weekend to start gathering parts.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Glad you're here. Any advice on the computing hardware I should use to power FAST? I'm planning on cobbling together my order this weekend to start gathering parts.

You can use anything that can make a highspeed serial connection. Most people use a laptop while developing their game. It is really better to develop with a pc that would ultimately be more than your game needs, then find the computing hardware that will be good for your “finished” game. Often people fixated on trying to find the best micropc on day one. Use a laptop or what you have around and reduce later when you know your resource needs more clearly.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#16 6 years ago

Run rabbit run
    Dig that hole....

Following

#17 6 years ago

In case you want to go with the Mission Pinball Framework (https://missionpinball.org/) there is some documentation about this topic: http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/dev/hardware/computer/index.html

#18 6 years ago

P3-ROC is cheaper than FAST and is well supported. I'm just saying.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

P3-ROC is cheaper than FAST and is well supported. I'm just saying.

How is it cheaper?

it's 400 for the starter bundle for fast which will handle 40 switches, 12 coils and also includes 50 LED boards.

P-Roc will be 465 not including LED boards for
    P3-Roc
    PD-16
    SW-16 x 3
    PD-LED

to have similar capabilities. Am I missing something?

#20 6 years ago

Gonna have to follow this thread. A Dark Side of the Moon pin would be awesome!!!! Maybe those Clare Torry vocal portions from The Great Gig in the Sky could be included for reaching a certain goal or level.

#21 6 years ago

So I'm a bit of a computer nerd but I used a raspberry pi and a couple arduino's to run mine and then used a PD-16 to drive the solenoids. It was for a conversion from an old EM Chicago Coin Royal Flash that was ratted out to solid state. The pi gave me an HDMI out to do my backglass as a TV which works pretty well and gave some fun adventures and the potential of future expansion once the kids get a bit older! It kept it pretty cheap since it was 50 for the arduinos and pi and they drove the lights (1 arduino) the solenoids and switches(1 arduino with i/o expansion) and the raspberry pi(coordinating lights, solenoids, scoring, game control, and display).

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from epeabs:

Gonna have to follow this thread. A Dark Side of the Moon pin would be awesome!!!! Maybe those Clare Torry vocal portions from The Great Gig in the Sky could be included for reaching a certain goal or level.

No, no...
    use her vocal clips for drains
    But could you use different clips for say right/left drains and sdtm drains?
    Not sure if doable but just the thought of her ultra emotional clips sounding out at a drain has me cracking up! Would be awesome!

#23 6 years ago

Sounds like a great project, Matt.

Let me know if you need any parts.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

How is it cheaper?
    SW-16 x 3

The P3-ROC has 64 switch inputs built-in - you don't need the SW-16 boards.

#25 6 years ago

Please say your not using that effen playfield for DSOTM you can do so much better...please please start again.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The P3-ROC has 64 switch inputs built-in - you don't need the SW-16 boards.

Ok - You've got me convinced. I'm going to go with the P3-roc. I didn't realize it had the switches built in. That will be great.

I made some progress yesterday. I pulled the playfield out of the cabinet yesterday. There is a significant amount of rust on the mechs due to the mouse urine.

Saturday I'm planning on stripping the whole playfield down top and bottom and throwing all the mechs in the tumblr to get the rust off.

Should I soak them in evaporust first?

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

Please say your not using that effen playfield for DSOTM you can do so much better...please please start again.

I want to use a layout that I already like as a base. I plan on doing some significant modifications to it as work progresses. I want to have something I can flip and see how it feels though as I go along. This is my first game so I'm using it as a learning experience.

#28 6 years ago

Good idea for a re-theme. I will be monitoring your progress.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

Don't be daft.

#30 6 years ago

Evaporust is great. But clean the parts first!

1 month later
    #31 5 years ago

I would pay $10,000 for a Pink Floyd Premium/ LE
    Without blinking.
    Please for the love of Pinball JJP!

#32 5 years ago

This getting anywhere? Following

To b fair both proc and fast are pretty similar — if you’re planning on a bunch of lights though I do believe you need a bunch of light driver boards with proc vs fast which supports 256 addressable leds off the bat. Yes they are serial chained in groups of 64 but I’ve not heard of any issues with them thus far. price comparisons should factor this in.

Either way, both good systems have good support. Gerry is super communicative and helpful at multimorphic and Aaron from fast has priority mailed me a new board hours after I blew it up. Both systems have slack channels with active communities providing advice and support.

Can’t go wrong either way really. Good luck with the project!

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Aaron from fast has priority mailed me a new board hours after I blew it up.

When making pinball, you can’t afford to lose a single weekend!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

This getting anywhere? Following
    To b fair both proc and fast are pretty similar — if you’re planning on a bunch of lights though I do believe you need a bunch of light driver boards with proc vs fast which supports 256 addressable leds off the bat. Yes they are serial chained in groups of 64 but I’ve not heard of any issues with them thus far. price comparisons should factor this in.
    Either way, both good systems have good support. Gerry is super communicative and helpful at multimorphic and Aaron from fast has priority mailed me a new board hours after I blew it up. Both systems have slack channels with active communities providing advice and support.
    Can’t go wrong either way really. Good luck with the project!

The proc PD-LED boards in addition to direct driving rgb or single color lights also do chains of serial leds, don't know the number off the top of my head but it's pretty big.

The main difference I found for me in comparing costs of the two was the different combinations of boards needed for each due to switch and coil counts, but for the couple projects I've done comparisons for cost wise they come out pretty close to the same.

2 years later
    #35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I originally purchased the game as project but have moved it into the parts category because it is just too far gone to bring back to life economically.

Hey whatever happened to this Dumpster Fire of a game???

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pink-floyd-pinball-a-homebrew-adventure?hl=chriswhitey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.