Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Ok so there is some talk about a Iron Maiden pinball. Even though I think this could be a decent pinball especially if Eddie the Head is incorporated properly, I would much rather see a Pink Floyd pinball. With Dark Side and The Wall as well as the Syd Years and even the latest stuff I think the things to incorporate would be endless..

What does everyone else think?

PB

#2 10 years ago

PF is long dead and boring to me. The band no longer exists. End of story.

#3 10 years ago

That would be a cool pin. I am sure licensing Pink Floyd material would not be cheap though. The band does not seem to be keen on licensing their music for commerical purposes.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from laryans:

That would be a cool pin. I am sure licensing Pink Floyd material would not be cheap though. The band does not seem to be keen on licensing their music for commerical purposes.

The hard sell here would be Roger Waters IMO...

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Both Waters and Gilmour are still alive so the band is far from dead sure they aren't currently playing as Pink Floyd and with Richard Wright passed the possibilities of Pink Floyd ever playing again as Pink Floyd are decreasing, I wouldn't give up all hope yet as stranger things have happened.

Post edited by paulywalnuts23 : Additional Content added

#6 10 years ago

I can safely say I'd prefer Pink Floyd over Iron Maiden, which i would have 0 interest in. I don't see many music pins left to make, to small a market on any of these remaining bands that would have "universal" popularity. If I had to pick one that I would like it would be Rush, Pink Floyd or Van Halen. Beyond those 3 I can't think of any rock bands that a pin would ever be considered on.

#7 10 years ago

I can get behind this but yeah it would be pricey. Probably too much so.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

I can safely say I'd prefer Pink Floyd over Iron Maiden, which i would have 0 interest in. I don't see many music pins left to make, to small a market on any of these remaining bands that would have "universal" popularity. If I had to pick one that I would like it would be Rush, Pink Floyd or Van Halen. Beyond those 3 I can't think of any rock bands that a pin would ever be considered on.

I could stand to see a Led Zep. pin as well. I think Rush would be a hard sell, even though I love Rush...

#10 10 years ago

This would only work if you could change the laws of physics under the glass such that the ball would move at 25% of normal speed and if the cabinet had a built in auto-bong that you attach to your mouth to constantly inhale pot smoke.

#11 10 years ago

Ummm...I think to get the real Pink Floyd experience that auto dispenser might have to provide something somewhat stronger...

#12 10 years ago

I'm in. Wally

#14 10 years ago

Thanks Jim. Still pretty new here so I hadn't seen those before...

Paul

#15 10 years ago

I'm not convinced that music pins are a good idea full stop. I like Pink Floyd but their music doesn't really suit pinball. AC/DC works because the music is simple and drives along but it's still flawed in concept.

Let's stick with specifically written music for the games.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Come on man, I have been reading your countless Iron Maiden posts for to long to let you thumbs down the OP and dismiss Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd gets played on the radio 10 to 1 songs of Iron Maidens.

Both pins would be cool, but keeping personal biased opinions aside, Pink Floyd is much more popular and likely for a pin.

Does Iron Maiden have 12 songs that the general public knows? I think not. I can name two songs that most people have heard from Iron Maiden. Pink Floyd has an easy dozen songs that are instantly recognizable.

#17 10 years ago

Although I LOVE Pink Floyd, I don't think that their music would suit a themed pinball machine.

It's too sombre and slow. :zzz:bring on an Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin pin though!

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Does Iron Maiden have 12 songs that the general public knows? I think not. I can name two songs that most people have heard from Iron Maiden. Pink Floyd has an easy dozen songs that are instantly recognizable.

I'd struggle to name more than two Iron Maiden songs but I also think most non Pink Floyd fans would struggle to name more than three or four of their songs. What would you say are the best known? I reckon most people would say "Another Brick In The Wall", "Money" then get stuck.

#19 10 years ago

Can't stand Pink Floyd or Zeppelin. Iron Maiden is great, but my money would be spend on a Rush pin in the blink of an eye. Or Huey Lewis and the News, dead serious, love that band!

#20 10 years ago

Maybe they could also license Wizard of OZ and have a special DSOTM w/ WOZ mode In all seriousness I would love to see a Pink Floyd pin. It would be my 3rd choice after Zeppelin and the Beatles for a rock theme.

#21 10 years ago

I'd like to see any band actually work with the sound designers to make specific music AND sound effects for the game instead of just clumsily trying to fit existing tracks into the game. It only has to be about 20 or so 90 second tracks, a lot of which would be different versions of the same themes.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

Although I LOVE Pink Floyd, I don't think that their music would suit a themed pinball machine.
    It's too sombre and slow. :zzz:bring on an Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin pin though!

I thought this for a second but then with tunes like Money, Time, Run Like Hell, Another Brink in The Wall, and a few others I figure there is enough there to make the music work. The Resources for things on the Playfield would be endless. "The Wall" alone would have enough for a pin itself.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from treibj:

Can't stand Pink Floyd or Zeppelin. Iron Maiden is great, but my money would be spend on a Rush pin in the blink of an eye. Or Huey Lewis and the News, dead serious, love that band!

Huey Lewis would be interested, definitely love their music but I have a hard time thinking about what the content of the playfield might be.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Come on man, I have been reading your countless Iron Maiden posts for to long to let you thumbs down the OP and dismiss Pink Floyd.
    Pink Floyd gets played on the radio 10 to 1 songs of Iron Maidens.
    Both pins would be cool, but keeping personal biased opinions aside, Pink Floyd is much more popular and likely for a pin.

I can think of one Iron Maiden song, Number of the Beast.

#25 10 years ago

I would buy a Pink Floyd game even if it only featured one of the following albums:

1) Dark Side of the Moon

2) The Wall

3) Animals

4) Wish You Were Here

Here is my dream backglass:

// Error: Image 110358 not found //

#26 10 years ago

Plus, you get cows.

// Error: Image 110359 not found //

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

I would much rather see a Pink Floyd pinball. With Dark Side and The Wall as well as the Syd Years and even the latest stuff I think the things to incorporate would be endless..
    What does everyone else think?
    PB

I think that is a horrible idea... that means I would have to spend another 9 grand and fine space I do not have.

#28 10 years ago

A Pink Floyd The Wall pinball machine would be amazing if anyone could figure out how to rig a wall across the top middle of the playfield that gets built during play.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

This would only work if you could change the laws of physics under the glass such that the ball would move at 25% of normal speed and if the cabinet had a built in auto-bong that you attach to your mouth to constantly inhale pot smoke.

I used to play instrumental Pink Floyd tunes at 45 RPMs. They still sounded good.

#30 10 years ago

This guy could be the programmer.

// Error: Image 110407 not found //

#31 10 years ago

Almost everybody likes Pink Floyd.

But I think the music is waaaayyyyyyyy too slow for a modern pinball machine.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

I'd struggle to name more than two Iron Maiden songs but I also think most non Pink Floyd fans would struggle to name more than three or four of their songs. What would you say are the best known? I reckon most people would say "Another Brick In The Wall", "Money" then get stuck.

Point taken on naming the songs, but played on the Radio off the top of my head

Time

Wish you were here

Comfortably Numb

Shine on You Crazy Diamond

Another Brick in the Wall

Have a Cigar....

And more.

Iron Maidan...

Run to The Hills

Number of the Beast

I agree, "joe public" may not be able to name many of these songs, but will recognize the tunes. That being said, I doubt either pin will be made by Stern. If its Iron Maiden though I owe Jackontherockd a T shirt

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Almost everybody likes Pink Floyd.
    But I think the music is waaaayyyyyyyy too slow for a modern pinball machine.

I disagree, with Floyd being to slow for a modern pin. Speed has nothing to do with a good soundtrack for a pin.....Lord of The Rings.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I disagree, with Floyd being to slow for a modern pin. Speed has nothing to do with a good soundtrack for a pin.....Lord of the Rings.

I'm sure you have played AC/DC.

When the song intros are droning on, you are chomping at the bit for it to get to the verse and pick up the pace.

There are pins with dramatic soundtracks like LOTR, for sure.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm sure you have played AC/DC.
    When the song intros are droning on, you are chomping at the bit for it to get to the verse and pick up the pace.
    There are pins with dramatic soundtracks like LOTR, for sure.

I have ACDC, I will trade it for Pink Floyd theme same layout/rules ASAP.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I have ACDC, I will trade it for Pink Floyd theme same layout/rules ASAP.

Cool, sounds like you could do the first retheme of AC/DC !

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

#38 10 years ago

Yeah, maybe when I can find a beat up one.

#39 10 years ago

Between the canon and Stern's clear coat, should not be too long.....

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Between the canon and Stern's clear coat, should not be too long.....

Point taken.....

WTB project ACDC LE, Prem, or Pro $1,200

#41 10 years ago

I would be in on one. I love music pins, but I think it would be a tuff sell. I just don't think there's enough crowd out there to make them go over like AC/DC and Metallica. Hope I am wrong though! I think it would be a awesome pin!

#42 10 years ago

I'm in!!

#43 10 years ago

Would be tough to license though. I think Stern should do a modern band like the Black Keys.

#44 10 years ago

Anyone saying that Pink Floyd's music wouldn't be well suited to a pinball machine just doesn't understand dramatic effect. If implemented correctly, it would make an amazing soundtrack and an amazing theme. Although, after having played WOZ and experienced the awesome sound/video/light show, I might suggest Jersey Jack tackle the project instead of Stern.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from PurpleTophat:

?.. If implemented correctly, it would make an amazing soundtrack and an amazing theme...

Well there's the rub. "If..." I'm assuming it'd be like ACDC and Metallica where they just play whole or large chunks of song and that wouldn't work for most bands especially Floyd. I agree it would be possible to make something amazingly dramatic and dynamic with their music but until I've seen that done I think I'll reserve my judgement.

#46 10 years ago

Play a WOZ without the sound on and play the cd of Pink Floyd in the background and everyone wins.

#47 10 years ago

I just tried a few hours of pinball with noise isolating headphones on my slowest machine (Space Mission) and Floyd is just too slow to keep up with the pacing of the game.

I tried DSOTM and The Wall. I had forgotten how slow and depressing The Wall really was. If I was going to kill myself, that album would be the soundtrack.

Poking around for a classic rock pinball soundtrack album, the best match for the pace of Space Mission was Ted Nugent's "Super Hits". Only one song, a Beatles cover "I want to tell you", was too slow for the game.

#48 10 years ago

So, for many of you, Pink Floyd's music is too.......slow????

I guess that the same people would be against a Led Zeppelin pin?

Because many of LZ's greatest songs were quite slow as well:

Stairway to Heaven
    Kashmir
    Good Times Bad Times
    All My Love
    Battle of Evermore

So are some of the Metallica songs. So are Queen, U2, and about 90% of all great rock bands.

Aren't some of you big fans of WOZ? Have you really listened to what's playing in that game?

I believe that there is a place for Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Rush, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, U2, The Ramones, Nirvana, David Bowie and many others.

Great art, great shots, great toys, great callouts, great animations and great scoring make up for a whole bunch of other things in this hobby.

40 of the top 50 games ranked on Pinside do not have great music.

I vote for leaving 90's heavy metal bands behind for something else.

Just my 2 cents.

#49 10 years ago

I would sell everything I own for a PF Pin!!!

#50 10 years ago

I love Pink Floyd and would be in as well. Only problem is Roger Waters being such a perfectionist is what made Alan Parker threaten to leave the set many times during the filming of "the Wall". Again, this perfectionism is what makes Roger such a great artist. Imagine him trying to influence Stern. It could be great or it could be bad based on the influence...

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pink-floyd-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.