(Topic ID: 146145)

PINITECH.com - Very Merry Giveaway Contest **WINNERS POSTED**

By acebathound

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinitech_sys4_sound_(resized).jpg
    2016-01-06_19.34.34_(resized).jpg
    64switch_noflux_(resized).jpg
    64switch_flux_(resized).jpg
    lamptester_(resized).JPG
    display-oops_(resized).JPG
    64_switch_tester_cables_(resized).jpg
    Pinitech_Stern_MPU-200_5101_Adapter_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpg
    newyears_(resized).jpg
    tester_(resized).jpg
    iloveswitches.jpg
    pintech_board.jpg
    bally_test_fixture.jpg
    Fire_battery_damage.png
    NVRAM.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falco.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 8 years ago

Curses, I won't be able to enter, I don't think my gear will arrive in time! Good luck to all though.

Wait, is there any point in wishing everyone good luck in a competition? It's not as if more people are going to win! Damned logic!

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

And falco.. I'll get you added too buddy

Ha, thanks! I feel like I haven't done much for my entry though! Maybe I'll just explain why I'm really keen on the AS-2518 lamp board tester. I find those annoying to test properly, as it's so clumsy to work on them in the machine, and I have to cable them up to an MPU board or other driver on the bench. I figure just putting the machine into test mode and plugging in the tester would be so much quicker/easier! Even on the bench, it would still be a lot better, as otherwise I'd end up testing the outputs one by one, and there are *lots* of them on these boards.

A question - has anyone built a simple test driver for these boards, perhaps something simple that plugs into the interface connector and just strobes all the SCRs? It's so easy to do, I might actually build one myself, but if there's something around that's cheap enough, I'd be better off getting one of those instead. I do a lot of these lamp boards.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

That would work testing stand-alone except once the SCRs are latched they won't turn off until the voltage they're connecting drops to around 0v.

That's OK, you could use DC. All you'd need to do is have a normally-closed momentary switch to interrupt the power supply to the lamps (but not the board). If you stop strobing the SCRs and kill the power to the lamps, none should re-light when you power them up again (until you start strobing the SCRs again). Any that are stuck on are faulty. Ditto any that don't come on when strobing normally.

(Edit - using a decent 5v PSU, you could probably run both the lamps and the board off it, using the above method)

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have no idea what is actually inside the tester that makes it tick.

Probably an AC power supply for the lamps, and something that cycles through each lamp when in auto mode? Presumably in manual mode, you can step through the lamps and poke at the board with a meter.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Yeah or a relay or transistor to break power to bar graph led tester

Yep, definitely! I was going a bit on the low-tech side there. I don't know how long those SCRs would need in the off state to break the latch, but that would be easy enough to look up or work out.

Quoted from acebathound:

I don't really see a reason to light more than one at a time really.

True, though I think my preferred usage would be to be able to see all at once, rather than have to cycle through them, or wait, to identify bad ones. Having the whole lot flash on and off would be ideal! I'm just too impatient...

Quoted from acebathound:

This thread got technical quick.

Oops... and the worst thing is, I don't have anything festive for my dogs to wear!

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

So does anyone know if the brown box testers just had MPUs inside them? I feel like it does.

Possible, but looking at the controls on it, and the limited functionality, I'd guess just a bit of (probably 74 series) logic?

1 week later
    #77 8 years ago

And here it is, something I threatened to do a few weeks back... turn your volume down before watching this video, btw. Oops.

#82 8 years ago

More interesting than a bump... maybe?

Lamp tester in action!
    lamp testerlamp tester

Me doing something silly. Who can spot my mistake?
    bench displaybench display

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

you're in a Star Trek that uses 6-digit display

Yep! The main one I was talking about. It was a 'WTF... ohh, right, I see' moment.

Quoted from MarAlb:

Leaving the backup battery there??

And this! This is a machine that's just come in, so it was the test victim for the new boards. I hadn't done anything useful to it yet. It does amaze me that the battery hasn't leaked, given that it looks like the original 70s one. I'll take it out and frame it! Having said that, I do see quite a few like that.

Quoted from Lindsey:

Or the hackey jumpers

Hey, the jumpers on this one are nothing! People do some weird and wacky things to when setting up the ROM jumpers on these boards. I'm working on one where quite a few of them are done in bare copper wire on the back of the board. Looks very tidy from the front, startling from the back...

#101 8 years ago

Good luck everyone! But especially me!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falco.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinitechcom-december-sales-on-diagnostic-tools?tu=falco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.