(Topic ID: 197122)

**Winners Drawn** PINITECH "Pimp Your Bally" LED Display GIVEAWAY!!

By acebathound

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MarAlb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

New Displays 2 (resized).jpg
    20170816_232945 (resized).jpg
    giveaway_drawing.jpg
    20170904_152835 (resized).jpg
    viva (resized).jpg
    viva2 (resized).jpg
    20170329_221227 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1880 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0320 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5122 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5101 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5482 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3621 (resized).JPG
    Xenon (resized).jpg
    MVC-055F (resized).JPG
    IMG_20161024_192707089 (resized).jpg

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone that participated!

WINNERS ANNOUNCED!! -- See the post below!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinitech-labor-day-sale-pimp-your-bally-led-display-giveaway/page/2#post-3951126

giveaway.jpggiveaway.jpg

Giveaway Contest!

Not one to skimp on prizes, for this giveaway I'm offering a great main prize. How about pimping your Bally (or Stern) with a new set of LED displays?

• MAIN PRIZE - 1x Fully Assembled Display Set (5x displays!!) for Classic Bally/Stern
      Prize package valued at $175-190 depending on options!
    • 2ND, 3RD & 4TH PRIZES - 1x Fully Assembled Display (1x display) for Classic Bally/Stern
      Prize(s) valued at $35-40 per display

I had a few extras of the REV1 boards floating around and thought offering a full set would be an awesome contest prize. A contest like this is also a great way to introduce people to the NEW Pinitech UNO and Pinitech TRADITIONAL LED displays. Displays will be AMBER DIGIT color, but if you want a different color we can talk about it Winner(s) can choose either the TRADITIONAL style or the single-board UNO style for their prize.

Some more info on these displays @ https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-diy-led-display-kits-for-classic-ballystern-budget-friendly

Gaining an entry in the contest is pretty simple, but you need to follow the rules.

This contest is open to *everyone* and you don't even need to purchase anything!

HOW TO ENTER

Post your favorite Classic Bally or Stern game & what makes it so great.
    Is it a game that tormented you in your youth? The artwork? Gameplay? Some special shot or overall flow of the game? The sounds?

Stories and antecdotes are welcome! One entry per person. Can't pick just one game? Post your top three or five favorites & why. It's all about highlighting what's cool about some of these earlier titles.

RULE #1

There's only one rule. If you win, you must enjoy the displays. Those who do not enjoy them will have to send them back Oh and for the winner of the full display set, a picture of the displays in your machine would be awesome!

Contest runs NOW thru 9/4/2017 at 11:59pm. Winners will be chosen on 9/5 via random drawing of crumpled names out of a hat by my wife

I think this will be a great way to give some of these classic games more exposure! And honestly, I don't have much in-depth play-time on many of them myself & I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. A thread grouping some quick thoughts of these games from a lot of people seemed like a really neat concept. It would be great knowing what makes some of these titles so popular!

If you want to participate without it counting as an entry, just say "exclude" at the end of your post.
    ie. If you can't utilize any Bally/Stern displays then you should say "exclude"

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    NVRAM, kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#2 6 years ago

I have two favorite Bally's

Bon Voyage EM- The backglass artwork is one of the funniest you will see (Insert Coin beltbuckle, people and luggage falling out of the plane etc)

Star Trek 78' - My brother and I picked up an unrestored Bally Star Trek 78 that we shopped out and gave to my Mom for Christmas. We had my kids convince her to take them on a donut run. While they were gone we brought in the machine and set it up as surprise for when she returned. This CONTEST is perfect because my family all chipped in for the machine but spent a lot of our budget on replacing acid damaged boards, LED's etc. The displays work but can be flaky. A new set of displays would be the PERFECT birthday gift for my Mom (Oct bday).

#3 6 years ago

Right now my favorite Bally is my Fireball EM. It is LOADED with advanced features that really weren't commonplace until much later in pinball: left outlane kickback, multiball, spinner randomizer in the center of the playfield, premium skill shot, and though not necassarily uncommon, the extremely cool zipper flippers! In addition, the artwork is fantastic. Great game.

#4 6 years ago

My Bally is Lost World, not the deepest rule set but the art is killer for me! Sitting beside my Viking, the themes blend so well.

#5 6 years ago

Bally Embryon.
    The artwork is fantastic, the wide body gameplay well laid out & a fun player!
    But it does beg for 7-digit scoring.....

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

My Bally is Lost World, not the deepest rule set but the art is killer for me! Sitting beside my Viking, the themes blend so well.

Yeah I liked the Viking artwork -- and colors on the playfield/cabinet. Had one for a bit sitting in the garage and it definitely caught my attention any time I passed through. Never had a chance to play it.

Quoted from dasvis:

But it does beg for 7-digit scoring.....

Oddly enough I'm working on something up that alley

#7 6 years ago

I love the Bally SS games. But the favourite in my collection is Embryon because it is just different. Waxed up and angled up for a wide body it offers fast game play. Visitors are drawn to the artwork and I give it a game everytime I'm in the room.

#8 6 years ago

I caught the Bally bug in a hard way. My two favorites are Flash Gordon and Medusa. I just finished restoring Flash Gordon and I'm in the process of restoring medusa. I was first drawn to both because of the playfield artwork. No concidence because both were done by Kevin O'Connor. They are colorful, elegant and truly tell a story without words. The upper area of medusa feels like you're in Zeus's court. Both are delightfully simple yet very challenging.

IMG_2380 (resized).JPGIMG_2380 (resized).JPG

IMG_2994 (resized).JPGIMG_2994 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

Bally Nitro Ground Shaker. I really like the theme. The backglass is very cool and the game is fun. I had one I had to sell last year, but picked up another this year that's a project. Purchased a new playfield, backglass, plastics etc. Not sure when I'll get to start on it, but I'm buying the uno displays for it for sure.

#10 6 years ago

Bally Star Trek. They have one of those at the local collective and I give it several plays each time I drop by. I love how the bonus system works and how fun of a competition game it is.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

I just finished restoring Flash Gordon and I'm in the process of restoring medusa.

I was checking out your Medusa thread with the cabinet pictures! That looks so sweet! Really nice job!

#12 6 years ago

Yep, I really appreciate the early Bally's.
    I used to play them all the time as a kid at the local bowling alley after my paper route. Here's a pic of three that I hope to get working soon. Acebathound thanks again!

IMG_1411 (resized).JPGIMG_1411 (resized).JPGIMG_1438 (resized).JPGIMG_1438 (resized).JPGIMG_1442 (resized).JPGIMG_1442 (resized).JPG

Added over 7 years ago: Forgot to mention that EBD is my favorite early Bally, dropped lots of quarters into that game in my younger days. ?

#13 6 years ago

Hard to pick a favorite.

Will start with Power Play as it was my first SS. It was also my first learning pin and it was a love hate relationship. But I eventually (learned) got it fixed.

Second would be Black Pyramid I just love the sounds and playing it.

3rd would be Nine ball love the backglass the playfeild

4th would be eight ball love the backglass

I own more love those Bally SS

#14 6 years ago

Favorite game is my 1977 "Pinball" by Stern. Super fast, drives me nuts! Don't think I have ever had a ball on the table for more than a minute.
    This was Stern's very first Solid State game, the very first Stern with digital displays!
    This particular one has a weird Frankenstein-ish mix of old Bally and Stern displays and even the atypical credit display (shown) is now outgassing.
    Sure would look nice with some Uno displays!

IMG_20170319_193523714 (resized).jpgIMG_20170319_193523714 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20161024_192008648 (resized).jpgIMG_20161024_192008648 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161024_192707089 (resized).jpgIMG_20161024_192707089 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Xenon!! Just because her voice and background music. And the tube shot is great.

#16 6 years ago

The Stern SS I love most is Star Gazer. I like the artwork. The sounds for an early SS are really great - the tempo builds as you are adding bonus and the bonus countdown music is just classic especially if you manage to max out both the bonus and multipliers. Also an extremely satisfying sound if you rip a lit spinner. I've never played another game that has "in-lanes" like this game has, it really adds something to the play experience. Add 3 spinners and 3 target banks and you can have a lot of fun!!

MVC-055F (resized).JPGMVC-055F (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago

Stern stars is the most fun brutal game there is. Hands down and drop the microphone. I can play that for 20 games in sometimes 40 min.

#18 6 years ago

So many titles! It hard to pick a favorite. The first one to hit me when I was 12 years old was KISS. Love that game, hope to see it in all its glory soon.
    Mike

#19 6 years ago

Really hard to pick but favorite game at the moment would be Bally Viking which would be a perfect candidate for this kind of upgrade and truly need it! Fall in love with centaur long time ago, but obvioulsy are expansive like hell now, not the 2003 price anymore. I really limed the side save post, inline target is also one of my favorite feature. so I was like why not lets go for a Viking turn out to be way harder to find than I thought it will be! But I know it was going to be worth it!

Thanks again for this little contest!!!

#20 6 years ago

For me Xenon takes me away to that special place of science fiction and fantasy. Spinner, tube shot, multiball, drop targets, artwork second to none and a sexy voice to keep you going.Its like the pinball form of an orgasm! I restored everything on this machine except displays. Notice player 4 display . It is the pin that has been in my collection the longest and will never be leaving.

Xenon (resized).jpgXenon (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

My favorite single level, single ball SS is my Bally Skateball. I love the Early 80's CA beach artwork and the blue bubble window van. Super challenging gameplay. Building up that Playfield bonus and multiplier, collecting the bonus, and nailing the saucer with the 100k value is just a blast. I learned to tap pass on this game, Critical on SS games.

#22 6 years ago

Picking out a favorite with all the great classic Stern and Bally titles in not an easy task. I have probably 15 or so that I absolutely love to play and am lucky to own most of. But one stands out in the crowd and it is one of my favorite games of all time including dmd's and em's too. It is Eight Ball Deluxe. I was lucky to be able to play the game at many arcades and bars when it was released. I am also lucky to have purchased a beat up one in the mid 80's and did a playfield swap on it which has held up well. The game has 7 was to get a special. It is a definite keeper for me and a game I never get tired of playing !

IMG_3621 (resized).JPGIMG_3621 (resized).JPG

#23 6 years ago

Meteor, because hitting that spinner just right is so satisfying.

#24 6 years ago

Fathom - great artwork, drop targets, multi ball. Just swapped in a new playfield on mine. Would love to try a set of these LED displays in it.

IMG_5482 (resized).JPGIMG_5482 (resized).JPG

IMG_5101 (resized).JPGIMG_5101 (resized).JPG

IMG_5122 (resized).JPGIMG_5122 (resized).JPG

#25 6 years ago

It's hard to pick one out of my modest Bally lineup, but having misspent my youth in bowling alleys I would have to go with Strikes and Spares. Plus, that backglass...nothing less than iconic.

IMG_0320 (resized).JPGIMG_0320 (resized).JPG

#26 6 years ago

I really enjoy when playing Flash Gordon is trying to avoid draining the ball which is soo easy to do in the way it was designed. The electronic sound track kind a brings me back to the 1980's.

#27 6 years ago

Picking one is difficult. I guess I'd have to pick the one that started my "Bally Fever" as MrBellMan calls it.

Paragon....the artwork is so badass on this game. And the Beast Lair is a unique/cuss worthy design component. It has gotten contagious...I picked up a Frontier a couple weeks ago...Loving these early SS Ballys.

thumbnail_IMG_1880 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_1880 (resized).jpg

#28 6 years ago

I've got to go with Xenon- as a kid I always got excited hearing the voice.
    Another title I like is Space Invaders. A wide body with a different feel. I really like keeping the ball in play to hear the music tempo increase.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I've got to go with Xenon- as a kid I always got excited hearing the voice.
    Another title I like is Space Invaders. A wide body with a different feel. I really like keeping the ball in play to hear the music tempo increase.

Both great games. I had a beater Space Invaders for a bit. The H. R. Giger style artwork is absolutely fantastic. It did play kind of slow since it's a widebody, but I'm sure some of that could have been taken care of if setup properly.

You can't help but to be drawn to Xenon from across the room. It's a light show of its own just sitting there in attract mode. And that infinity backglass is perfection.

So many of these games are great just based on backglass and playfield artwork alone.

#30 6 years ago

Classic Bally/Stern is not my era of games. I like a lot of EM's, they have a charm to them, a certain smell. I'm amazed at how they were able to make complex rules work. I especially love the difficulty and frustration of drop targets. I'm much more into modern games. Ramps, multiballs, great sound. I always thought the early SS stuff was sort of an awkward in between stage.

I came across a Stern Hot Hand on craigslist a couple years ago. It came with a spare MPU and basically cost me the price of the MPU. I figured I could learn some stuff fixing the old MPU, sell off the replacement, bat the ball around a few times and sell it a show.

Repairing it was not as easy as I had hoped. Fixing one problem uncovered another. After finally getting it to work, I can't get enough of it! It's playing great, playfield is nice. Backglass is maybe a 6 and a couple of the displays are a little wonky. I went from thinking I'd play 20 games on it and sell it, to - where can I store this temporarily so I don't need to sell it. I turn it on thinking I'll play a quick game or 2. Ten games later I'm late for whatever I needed to do.

As of now my favorite is my Stern Hot Hand, but moving forward I won't just write these games off as an awkward in between stage.

#31 6 years ago

My favorite classic Bally has to be Eight Ball Deluxe. I love the classic artwork and love the game play. It's one of the prettiest machines ever made.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Fathom - great artwork, drop targets, multi ball. Just swapped in a new playfield on mine. Would love to try a set of these LED displays in it.

I never took a close look at Fathom playfield artwork before. I thought the backglass had great art, but that playfield is amazing as well. Explains why the game is so popular, even just based on artwork alone.

Checking out the PAPA tutorial on it to get an idea of gameplay..

#33 6 years ago

Lots of great games in this era. One that really has staying power with me is Paragon. I had one before and now I have another that I am restoring. I decided to go with an alternative color scheme as long as I was stenciling it! Anyway I am about to put it all back together and it needs new displays.

The super widebody Bally games were all interesting, but I like Paragon the best. It plays fast for a wide body and has some features that I love. Any game with inline drops is cool to me. I also love/hate the right flippers that let you lose the ball between the flippers. I also love hate the lower left pop area. Pisses me off when you lose the ball down there but it is awesome when you can nudge it out! Finally Paragon is a great tournament game.

When I put new Pinitech displays in my Meteor I went with 7-digit and upgraded the ROMs and wiring to handle it. For Paragon I think I will stick with 6-digit. If I ever roll this game I want to actually roll it because it might never happen again.

20170329_221227 (resized).jpg20170329_221227 (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I've never took a close look at Fathom playfield artwork before. I thought the backglass had great art, but that playfield is amazing as well. Explains why the game is so popular, even just based on artwork alone.
    Checking out the PAPA tutorial on it to get an idea of gameplay..
    » YouTube video

Great gameplay too!

#35 6 years ago

I can't stop playing the Viking I picked up a month ago. It's almost as gorgeous as Paragon and I find it a lot more fun to play! Certainly less aggravating. It's exciting to get the bonus up to 5x59K and try to collect it repeatedly! And ripping the spinner feels so good, with its 10-100-1000 progression and timed reset! I said in the game thread how I keep thinking, "This is the most fun you can have with one ball!"

I did roll it on the first night, so now I'm contemplating setting it up harder and steeper. Excited to hear about how you're developing a new 7 digit solution, but for now it'd look great with a custom color display! (Wondering, by any chance will a 7-digit display work in place of a 6-digit, and just not use the leftmost digit for the time being?)

#36 6 years ago

Seawitch! New play field coming next year I'm hoping.

Love the art, sound and game play of this machine. Very fun to play 4 players. One of the best early Sterns!

#37 6 years ago

Bally Kiss. Love the artwork and fast game play.

#38 6 years ago

Embryon! Soooo much space and one of my favorites for newbies to try. Can be challenging. By far a very fun game to set $1 bills on and have a 4 person match with.

#39 6 years ago

Seawitch for me!
    I love the sound package and the loop shot!

#40 6 years ago

I really dig Flight 2000, so much that I have two project machines I'm hoping to resurrect. It's tough to say though because I have a soft spot for my underdog Stern, Trident. I've had it for about 15 years (nearly half my life!) and don't see it ever leaving.

#41 6 years ago

Meteor would have to be my first choice. What draws me to it is sweeping those wonderful Chiclet drop targets. Second would be Flight 2000. Just trying to achieve multiball is a feat. Keeping the balls in play during multiball is the second hardest thing. The ball walker is just such a cool feature too. Third would have to be Flash Gordon. It is by far the fastest double level game out there. The art, sounds, and speech calls are what make it fantastic.

Jim

#42 6 years ago

Last day of the giveaway! No purchase necessary to enter!

Last day for these sales also:

• FREE SHIPPING on domestic orders over $199
    • 5-PACK of 6116/6264 NVRAM for $49.99

It's been great hearing everyone's comments on these games! Thanks for participating & good luck to all!

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    NVRAM, kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#43 6 years ago

If I were to pick a favorite classic stern, it's Galaxy, because it was one of my three first machines and I really did enjoy it.

For Bally, it's both Strikes & Spares, my very first pin, or Dungeons & Dragons, which I played for hundreds of hours on break times at my first summer job.

I have neither machine at the moment, but am amassing parts to get a Strikes & Spares and do a full restore on it. Already have a NOS pf from Kruzman, and plastics from CPR.

#44 6 years ago

It's hard not to love a lot of these old Bally's, but I too will take the easy way out and say Mystic.

It's the first one I had (and still have) and was in non-working condition. It's the game I learned everything on and I couldn't fix anything without it.

It's also got everything you want in one of these old games. Risk/Reward with all the drop targets. Goal is to build a big bonus and multiply it. Spinners to light and rip. What else is there?

It's also a game where they were trying different things with the backglass/box. The early run had a 3D effect where there is a blank spot in the glass and a box is built in behind the light panel. Pretty cool, but much harder to find a replacement glass!

#45 6 years ago

The early SS Bally and Stern games are great. I currently own Centaur 2, Meteor, Star Trek, Harlem Globetrotters, Space Invaders, Embryon, and Future Spa. I was looking at my past history and surprised myself at how many I've had over the years: Flight 2000, Split Second, Stars, Galaxy, Eight Ball, Cybernaut, Mr. and Mrs. Pacman, Mystic, Vector, Speakeasy, Flash Gordon and Medusa.

Probably my favorite is Harlem Globetrotters. It is a simplistic layout and rule set, but it is a blast to play and very difficult to put up a monster score to roll it over.

My HG probably has one of the darker background story. I bought it from a guy over by Wisconsin Rapids and the playfield was worn down to the wood over 50% of the playfield. It also looked like someone had dumped red kool-aid over the playfield. When I asked what happened to the game, the guy said he had left it with a tech to fix it up. After a year or so, he hadn't heard anything from the guy so he went looking and it turned out the tech had committed suicide. Apparently, he had left the playfield glass off the game too. Now, he didn't come out and say it, but part of me wonders if that wasn't red cool-aid all over the old playfield. Anyway, I found a nice used playfield and swapped it out.

#46 6 years ago

Evel Knievel because its based on Evel fricking Knievel. Not too many guys have fictional action movies where they get to play themselves.

viva2 (resized).jpgviva2 (resized).jpg
    viva (resized).jpgviva (resized).jpg

My plasma displays in my EK were giving me some trouble at the Saratoga show so I think its time to switch over to LED displays.

#48 6 years ago

Lost world for me. Maybe not the best gameplay but the art is so beautiful.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

After a year or so, he hadn't heard anything from the guy so he went looking and it turned out the tech had committed suicide. Apparently, he had left the playfield glass off the game too. Now, he didn't come out and say it, but part of me wonders if that wasn't red cool-aid all over the old playfield. Anyway, I found a nice used playfield and swapped it out.

Yikes. Good move switching out the playfield lol. Hopefully it was kool aid.

#50 6 years ago

For me, my Mata Hari has been getting the most play for the last year or so. It is so simple, yet there is something about it that just keeps me coming back for more. That saucer shot is sometimes so hard to hit, other times the ball has no problem landing in it. Hitting the A and B lanes at least once to light the pop bumpers for 1,000 points is also important. Completing the drop targets is another element that I am usually not concentrating on, but sometimes it is a good push to get that score up, especially if you accidentally get a bunch of them down. It is a simple, but challenging game. They made it in EM and SS versions so it is one of the earliest SS Ballys. I got mine with no boards at all in it and got it working. Although a little worn, it plays awesome and I love it.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinitech-labor-day-sale-pimp-your-bally-led-display-giveaway?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.