2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinHead_Electron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    Bally_Stern_Rectifier (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

Hello Fellow Pinsiders,

I have had a few requests here and there asking about whether or not I sell green versions of my bally/stern rectifier boards. Currently I do not make them using a green solder mask. Originally I chose red because I like the look and I thought of it as being sort of a trademark for my brand. I can easily switch to green or possibly even offer both, but would like to hear what the community thinks about it. Have you passed on my board and gone with another company just to get green instead of red? I know when it comes to billiard cloth I always thought red looked nice, but still went with traditional green just because it seemed right and is the most common. Is it the same mindset for PCB boards? Please let me know your thoughts on whether I should stay with red or switch to green or offer both?

www.pinheadelectronics.com

Bally_Stern_Rectifier (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

The red is kind of sexy

#3 2 years ago

To me, red stands out too much and is an eyesore when trying to restore a game as close to original as possible. It simply draws too much attention to itself and doesn't "blend in" with everything else.

For PCBs, green is is more "neutral" since it's the traditionally expected/accepted color. Red is usually reserved for prototype boards.

Quoted from PinHead_Electron:

Have you passed on my board and gone with another company just to get green instead of red?

Given a choice between two similar products with one red and one green, I'll always go with the green one.

Matter of fact, this has happened with NVRAM. There are both red and green ones available, and since they were pretty much the same, I opted for the green ones, since the red ones stand out too much.

#4 2 years ago

I don't care what color the board is just so long as it works!

#5 2 years ago

I'm a big fan of your rectifier board!
    I kinda like the red.

#6 2 years ago

Color doesn't matter to me. I kinda like the red. My NVRAM is purple

#7 2 years ago

So I have actually been looking for a new rectifier board recently for a Space Invaders I'm in the process of restoring.
    I feel guilty saying this, but the color would hold me back.
    As much as I love the red color, I would probably go with green as its the traditional color and would match the rest of the boards and the original look.
    I think that having both available would be nice as the red is a pretty darn good looking color on that board and green provides the original\traditional look.

#8 2 years ago

It's not going to look "original" no matter what! You got some giant bridges sticking out.
    I like the pinhead board because it's reasonably priced, instructions are straight forward, the writing on the board is clear, I like the led fuse indicators, and it works well.
    I know when I install this board, I'm not going to worry about it again.

#9 2 years ago

I did an extensive study on this a while back..

Okay really I just searched Google for forum posts related to the subject of pcb color preference. Most people seem to prefer green, likely with it being the standard/traditional color.

#10 2 years ago

It sounds like you probably read my post on RGP yesterday where I said that I would prefer the green to the red for circuit boards if I had a choice. Either that or this is just a coincidence.

Green is the best color if your goal is to sell the most of these. I know a lot of people who prefer green over the red. Some don't want the red at all but I don't think there are any who would feel the same about green.

Personally if I was planning to purchase a new rectifier board (or any other board) for one of my classic Bally SS pins, with all things being equal would buy the green one and not the red ones just because of the color.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

It's not going to look "original" no matter what! You got some giant bridges sticking out.

I know it wont be completely original, but my current board looks more like a pizza that was left in the oven overnight at 450° than a rectifier board. Having a red board would stand out where as the green would look far more like it came that way from the factory.

Quoted from brenna98:

I like the pinhead board because it's reasonably priced, instructions are straight forward, the writing on the board is clear, I like the led fuse indicators, and it works well.
    I know when I install this board, I'm not going to worry about it again.

This is Exactly why I want this board... in green.

#12 2 years ago

Thanks for all of the great feedback. The consensus seems to be that red and green colors are both desired. So I think I will try both colors for my next run and compare which color sells better to determine whether or not I should switch to one color only or continue providing both colors.

#13 2 years ago

You'll definitely sell more green ones than red.

I'll buy a couple myself.

#14 2 years ago

I just picked one up for a Meteor that was missing a few things. I like the Red and the LED for all TP voltages. It's a very nice board!

image (resized).jpg

#15 2 years ago

Looks great! Glad to see you making full use of the new molex connectors and ground terminal. Very clean install.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 8.95
    $ 49.95
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside