Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 290 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 days ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 85 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.png
    image.jpg
    IMG_0298.PNG
    IMG_0294.PNG
    IMG_0293-76.PNG
    IMG_0295.PNG
    There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 5 years ago

A dumb question probably, but on the Pinguy UI I'm struggling to make sense of what the "legs" are supposed to mean, in terms of which to adjust.

For example - if I have a pin where the front legs are wound all the way in, and the app tells me that the pitch is too shallow obviously I have to raise the back legs. That bit is fine, I don't need to look at the UI "legs" for that.

But if I have a situation where the playfield is not level side to side, I don't know whether this means I need to raise or lower the front leg, or the rear one. I'd like to think the app can tell me if the playfield is twisted, but I'm just not seeing which leg I need to adjust. I end up adjusting it based on a visual check which I'm sure is less than optimal.

I've also noticed that there is a ~0.5 degree difference based on whether I place the phone between the flippers, or at the top of the playfield. I don't know whether I should level for 6.5 degrees between the flippers (and it be e.g. 7.0 degrees towards the top) or aim for 6.5 in the middle of the playfield and have the pitch potentially less than that between the flippers?

(I could be overthinking it as well)

#252 5 years ago

Hi,
    You are right. It is better to place the iPhone in the middle of the playfield instead between the flippers. I have no idea where the difference comes from.

The legs:
    The app does not know the position of the screws.
    I let me guide by the vocal commands and decide to follow that or to do the other direction at the other side.

#253 5 years ago

Is this still crashing for everyone else on iOS when you try to access saved settings for your collection? The app still works for leveling the playfield though.

#254 5 years ago

Please try to deinstall and reload from AppStore again.

#255 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gnassel:

Please try to deinstall and reload from AppStore again.

That worked! Love this app!

#256 5 years ago

Backup:
    Unfortunately I do not know how to store the settings, table to iCloud.
    But you can export/import share your settings via text file.
    It looks like this:

Scared Stiff;-0.06074435;-12.8466;
    Terminator 2;-0.07934046;-12.81649;
    Transformers LE;0.04020482;-14.07659;

#257 5 years ago

Has anyone used this with an iPhone X yet? How does it work with the lens bump on the back, do you need a case to keep the entire phone flat?

#258 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Has anyone used this with an iPhone X yet? How does it work with the lens bump on the back, do you need a case to keep the entire phone flat?

I have this exact problem. The phone is unstable and throws all my previous measurements out on all axis.

The only solution I can see is a case that "flattens" the back of the phone. I have a very thin case on at the moment, and hadn't realised how much of a problem this would be

#259 5 years ago

I gave up using it on my X. Now I just use my old digital level.

#260 5 years ago

Yeah I tried it last night and seemed hopeless. So...what's a good digital level y'all like?

1 week later
    #262 5 years ago

With the glass on or off?
    I only had time to check on top of the glass but this leveler was saying all my games were 16degrees!

#263 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pale_Purple:

With the glass on or off?
    I only had time to check on top of the glass but this leveler was saying all my games were 16degrees!

Glass off. Remember, you’re leveling the playfield and not the glass.

#264 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Glass off. Remember, you’re leveling the playfield and not the glass.

Feeling very dumb but thank you. I guess I got use to leveling with the glass on using the app. Whoops!

#265 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Feeling very dumb but thank you. I guess I got use to leveling with the glass on using the app. Whoops!

No worries. I didn't even know that you could open the damn things up when I bought my first one.

For months I was scared anytime I had to take off the glass and get a stuck ball out or something. Now I just start ripping them apart when something needs fixed. You'll get there, it just takes some time.

7 months later
    #266 5 years ago

Has anybody compiled a big "collection" that includes a lot of the common pinball machines?

It would be nice to just import a big list that already has the relative angles of the playfield versus the glass.

#267 5 years ago

Would that work? Every machine is likely to be slightly different I'd have thought. Even a millimeter of difference in playfield pivot bolt locations would translate to a playfield angle difference.

4 weeks later
    #268 4 years ago

My app no longer talks. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled. I’m on the newest iOS, is that the problem?

#269 4 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

My app no longer talks. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled. I’m on the newest iOS, is that the problem?

See if your phone is on mute; the app will go silent if the silent mode switch is on.

#270 4 years ago
    Quoted from triggur:

Has anybody compiled a big "collection" that includes a lot of the common pinball machines?
    It would be nice to just import a big list that already has the relative angles of the playfield versus the glass.

It would be really nice to have such a list.
    Last week I was in a public location and played at a Scared Stiff. The machine was set absolutely wrong. Of course, I could not remove the glass, but it had helped a lot to adjust it with the settings from my old TOM. That works fine, even if it is not 100% perfect.

A general list with the x / y / data would be nice. Some pinball machines will probably have similar values. If they come from the same time/manufactur.
    Then the data would suffice per TYP. That should be less than 10 in total. Example: JJP, STAR 2015-2019 Williams 1991-1994 or something like that.

3 months later
    #271 4 years ago

Not sure why I am just now learning about this app! I can’t get the voice to work though, tips?

#272 4 years ago

Just turned off my ringer mute and bam it worked! Awesome

#273 4 years ago

I had the same problem, no voice prompts. Both audio and ringer are not muted. Tried uninstall/reinstall app, no luck. On a whim I clicked volume up a couple times then back down to the same volume setting and, what do you know, voice returned. I repeated the problem and the workaround and got the same result. So, there is something odd but there appears to be a workaround.

4 months later
    #274 4 years ago

I'm still praying for the day that this app appears on Android...
    I just checked again and still no dice...

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from lma574:

I'm still praying for the day that this app appears on Android...
    I just checked again and still no dice...

Does this do what you need? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nottud.pinballleveller

1 month later
    #276 4 years ago

I've used that one for android... its pretty good but I've had a few concerns .... Side by side comparison, the pinguy one seems more accurate.

#277 4 years ago

For a PinGuy extension .... Is there an interest so that the information is also displayed on the Apple Watch?

#278 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gnassel:

For a PinGuy extension .... Is there an interest so that the information is also displayed on the Apple Watch?

Great idea

10 months later
    #279 3 years ago

Add to watch is a great idea, so you can be under the table and altering things. I bought a few accelerometers with the plan to make a small cube that sits on top of the table, and shows the playfield situation on my phone, but time got away with me. So using the phone and watch (I am an Android user tho!) gives the same effect.

Need to make sure that phone back is lovely and flat tho! This project has loads of potentially! I really want to code it, but have little time, if anone out there fancies collaborating with me (and can code) I will work on it with you from an engineering point of view

1 month later
    #280 3 years ago

Ate you not deaf and you are under the pin for levelling, you should here what the App tell you

#281 3 years ago

PinGuy on a watch sounds like a solution looking for a problem. You put your phone on the playfield, you get under and make adjustments according to the audible cues.

If you’re on your hands and knees making adjustments, lifting the table with your back, your hands are going to be on the floor anyway for support, and if you’re coming out from under the table after each adjustment to use a trolley, well you can look at your phone can’t you?

10 months later
    #282 2 years ago

I find my IMDN PRE very hard. It constantly drains in the outlanes and hitting the ramps is tough. (Actually, hitting anything on purpose is tough…)

I have adjusted the slope with a bubble level, but it alway felt like something is wrong.
    I found this topic yesterday and immediately decided to try the app. I calibrated the iPad, set it on 6.8 degrees and put it on the playfield.
    It was perfectly aligned! One more proof that I’m a terrible pinball player

Thanks for a great app anyway

#283 2 years ago

It's true, you don't need it on the watch. The instructions are enough for me too.
    @Hasse,
    do the instructions in Swedish fit or do you want something adjusted?

1 week later
    #284 2 years ago

H Frank
    Any news on the adoption to Android ?
    Showed your app to a friend and he likes it but ... he is on Android and for any reason will not change to Apple

Cheers
    Tom

9 months later
    #285 1 year ago

Hi all!
    Quick question: are we supposed to remove any shield/case that we have on the iPhone?
    Wondering because even nake the back of the iPhone is not flat due to the lenses edge

#286 1 year ago
    Quoted from bazou:

Hi all!
    Quick question: are we supposed to remove any shield/case that we have on the iPhone?
    Wondering because even nake the back of the iPhone is not flat due to the lenses edge

The app was mostly developed before the iPhones had the protruding camera, so it is more difficult now to get a good reading. I leave the case on, but the best thing I did was get out my old iphone 5 and use that!

6 months later
    #287 12 months ago

Someone with a 3D printer needs to make trays for the various iPhones to sit in, so they can be level! I would absolutely buy one for my 14 pro Max, to keep in my tool box.

#288 12 months ago

If the iPhone has been calibrated without a case, then it can also be used to align the playfield.
    Unfortunately, the newest iPhones tilt.

I do not use a case. I now always put a rubber ring under it. Works.

10 months later
    #289 41 days ago

are there any android versions/similar apps yet? the one posted about before by nottud or whatever, can't be installed on current android versions.

#290 41 days ago

Best thing is to get a nice inexpensive level from a local hardware store.

There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinguy-pinball-machine-leveling-app/page/6?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.