Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jgelman
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    3B93FBAD-645F-4352-9CD3-7786AA53161E (resized).jpeg
    B12EA0D0-3436-4AB5-ACC1-E7BE9CABAFB8 (resized).jpeg
    F08A860D-4D54-4AED-A0CB-F08101E6DDB5.jpeg
    Screenshot_20210418-211352~2.png
    34E616A6-470E-4DB3-B87E-6D1612FEF419 (resized).jpeg
    gekko (resized).png
    657C99FB-6A43-4015-8D71-4A2EC5E3F280 (resized).jpeg

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 2 years ago

All of this recent PinGreed is an absolute cancer. I thought these sale posts were jokes at first, but I realize now it’s a dangerous trend that’s spreading.

A BKSOR topper for $4.5k?
    A PotC for $39k?
    A WoZ YBR for $19?
    A HUO MB for $20k?
    An EM Joker Poker for $7.5k?

How do we get out of this mess? Can we just auto-delete sale posts that have 30+ downvotes? Any other ideas?

#2 2 years ago

I just laugh and not buy them.

#3 2 years ago

Do you mean - PinGreed™

#4 2 years ago

Well, at least this isn't a newb thread, but OP has been here for a long time.

#5 2 years ago

Anyone can put them up for any price. The market decides what its worth, however. Personally, I enjoy perusing the comments

#6 2 years ago

Is this an undercover price police bubble thread

657C99FB-6A43-4015-8D71-4A2EC5E3F280 (resized).jpeg657C99FB-6A43-4015-8D71-4A2EC5E3F280 (resized).jpeg
    #7 2 years ago

I just saw a Flash Gordon on Epay for $24,999...Uh What!!

#8 2 years ago

It's a thing for sure. For me, as far as new items go, it begins with an artifically low production from the mfg, that builds demand. It's a marketing move to create exclusivity, but I do not think it is healthy for this hobby.

On the other side of the equation, for new buyers into the hobby, people selling poorly shopped or repaired games to new pinball buyers at high prices really drives me crazy. I want new people to be excited about this hobby, and enjoy their machine.. but when people are fooled into overpaying for something they will be lucky to get 50% of their money back on when they decide pinball is no good because of their sucky machine.. I also do not think that is good for the hobby.

So yeah.. pingreed.. what can you do? Perhaps we need to start our own regional guilds to better control the market and break kneecaps? I'm in!

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

How do we get out of this mess? Can we just auto-delete sale posts that have 30+ downvotes? Any other ideas?

U will never get out of the mess, people will always buy something rare and then try to flip it for big money. Their not even the problem, its the douchebags who buy them. The PS5 crap was ridiculous. Don't buy them. No mods. I stopped buying used pins all together cause I hate the sell and buy process. Very happy now. Get at least 1 NIB a year from a good source and its been nothing but greatness. Even when I'm done the selling is easy, I put it up for a few hundred less than I probably could get and its gone in 2 days.

#10 2 years ago

I don’t believe things are selling for these stupid prices

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I don’t believe things are selling for these stupid prices

They aren't, he doesn't even want to see them. Which is understandable, I feel that way about the ratings. By the way is that a boy or a girl in ur avatar?

#12 2 years ago

Start a trend. Sell me your Tron LE for $6,500.

#13 2 years ago

I think I saw a movie about this...

gekko (resized).pnggekko (resized).png
    #14 2 years ago

Honestly, if the games are pristine examples and in demand, go for it! The market will determine selling prices.

The PinGreed (if you want to call it that) to me is when I see blown out games with stated repairs needed going for top dollar.

I've been around long enough to remember the "old days" and we will not ever get back to that, so it is what it is. $1700 TOTAN machines are a thing of the past, even is they are almost destroyed.

It's disheartening to see people sell junk for insane $$ but if that's what the market will bear then it will continue. And more importantly, people are buying. That alone will continue the ride.

Chris

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from LordHumungus:

By the way is that a boy or a girl in ur avatar?

I'm guessing that you don't own a Hook.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

All of this recent PinGreed is an absolute cancer. I thought these sale posts were jokes at first, but I realize now it’s a dangerous trend that’s spreading.
    A BKSOR topper for $4.5k?
    A PotC for $39k?
    A WoZ YBR for $19?
    A HUO MB for $20k?
    An EM Joker Poker for $7.5k?

Stop trying regulate the world based on your ‘moral outrage’ - you are the cancer.

#17 2 years ago

Let's not confuse pingreed with Price Pumping!! I've seen it in other hobbies and no doubt we are seeing some of it here- listing items at higher than real market prices (sometimes under different ID's or in conjunction with other sellers) and pretending they sold (Listing it as "sold" or showing an auction as "sold" when the buyer is fake and/or backs out).

I don't think I need to explain why people do this, but if someone is looking to buy they may assume the prices are real and end up buying one of the persons price pumped listings because they think that's actual market when it's not.

Who the hell is going to buy a topper for $4500? Or any mass produced pinball machine for almost $40K? Most people I know that are wealthy are also smart enough to do the market research AND are usually cheapskates to boot.

#18 2 years ago

Maybe they're just typo's?

#19 2 years ago

It brings up a larger question- was the marketplace data ever really useful? If so, in what ways and to whom?

The spate of recent joke ads has raised the profile a bit but this was probably always happening to some degree. No one who spends much time here places any value on EBay listings because we “know” they are ridiculous. What makes Pinside market data any more useful?

It’s probably not worth the resources required to do any verification so why bother?

#20 2 years ago

Simple, stop buying overpriced shit.And stop looking at overpriced ads, the market will regulate itself over time. When overpriced pins don't sell anymoe the prices go down so wait it out.

#21 2 years ago

1% of all items are vastly over-priced, and to even use that phrase is subjective. But I don't think it's an issue tbh. If the market pays those prices, that's not being greedy, that's business.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Ruuuufffiiiioooo! I bet he can't even crow...

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Well, at least this isn't a newb thread, but OP has been here for a long time.

Yea - I’ve been around the hobby since the 90s when we were all using Rec.Games.Pinball. Pinflation has been around since 2000 - we all understand it’s part of the hobby but this new 2,3,4x asking price junk is a recent pumping/gouging trend.

By the way is that a boy or a girl in ur avatar?

Jack Skellington.

Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

In the past I’ve hated remakes of any form. Now I find myself wishing they could remake everything - even TronLE!

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It brings up a larger question- was the marketplace data ever really useful? If so, in what ways and to whom?
    The spate of recent joke ads has raised the profile a bit but this was probably always happening to some degree. No one who spends much time here places any value on EBay listings because we “know” they are ridiculous. What makes Pinside market data any more useful?
    It’s probably not worth the resources required to do any verification so why bother?

Excellent observation. There’s nothing that can be done I guess. Hopefully it’s just a dumb trend and will subside at some point.

#24 2 years ago

Last time I checked we still live in a free market
    People can ask for and pay what they want

#25 2 years ago

Imagine trying to use a Price Guide these days to negotiate a sale.

#26 2 years ago

A cure for Greed and the Worship of Money?
    Not really.

Pick a Theology.
    Then ignore.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Can u explain cause I doubt the hook I own is the same thing.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Jack Skellington.

Well in 2021 I have to ask again, boy or girl?

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

Thinking the same thing after seeing his collection.

Sellers want all the money. I would.

Buyers want all the pin, with minimal cost. I would.

I don’t have cancer, so that’s not the issue.

Luxury goods are perceived value. Always will be. I have an idea of what this thread is actually about. Hint: it’s not about selling too low.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Last time I checked we still live in a free market
    People can ask for and pay what they want

Yeah, but we also have free speech to bitch about asking prices.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Yeah, but we also have free speech to bitch about asking prices.

I agree with you, though the OP was suggesting deleting people’s sale ads based on people feeling the price was too high. That’s some BS.

No one is ‘entitled’ to buy someone else’s property for less than that owner values it. Total BS.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Imagine trying to use a Price Guide these days to negotiate a sale.

That would have made for a great episode of Ghostwriter back in the early 90s that poor ghost would have to keep coming back every day to change the price.

#33 2 years ago

Well in 2021 I have to ask again, boy or girl?

In 2021 asking boy or girl, could get you cited, or more severe repercussions.

#34 2 years ago

Yeah by who?

#35 2 years ago

One possible issue upcoming is that most Pinside ads are all inflated like EBay. Who wants to flip through a bunch of junk ads?

#36 2 years ago

It's definitely causing me to lose interest in the hobby. I've just been head down working on them as that's my job, and I'm thankful I'm pretty well set in my personal collection. All the excitement with finding new games and such is kind of out the door at the moment though. The prices are just absurd. Even D titles people want $2k plus for now. Every time a project is posted for a decent price, people bid it up to retail prices lol. Even the auctions are all retail for a bunch of operator leftovers as-is! Everything is cut throat and, honestly, all the chatter on the forums, FB pages, etc. is mostly just fatiguing and annoying. Great time to be a seller, it's definitely made me consider shedding a few...

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

It's definitely causing me to lose interest in the hobby. I've just been head down working on them as that's my job, and I'm thankful I'm pretty well set in my personal collection. All the excitement with finding new games and such is kind of out the door at the moment though. The prices are just absurd. Even D titles people want $2k plus for now. Every time a project is posted for a decent price, people bid it up to retail prices lol. Even the auctions are all retail for a bunch of operator leftovers as-is! Everything is cut throat and, honestly, all the chatter on the forums, FB pages, etc. is mostly just fatiguing and annoying. Great time to be a seller, it's definitely made me consider shedding a few...

If I only had a nickel for everytime I have had a potential buyer say I can get it at auction for half that.so go buy that sight unseen leftover from auction but add in fees ,tax and shipping and hope its playable.if I really want a title I try to find what several for sale currently are asking

#38 2 years ago

also I agree with you

#39 2 years ago

It's definitely causing me to lose interest in the hobby.

Right with you bro. If you have a collection already you are OK as you can sell at these high prices. But if you have none or want to build up your collection going to cost hundreds/thousands extra than just a few months ago. Getting my 77" OLED tomorrow for $3,300 which I thought was stupid......now that is less then 1/2 the price of a decent pin so I feel better about the buy.

#40 2 years ago

I just had a home client call for service on a TZ. Paid 10k, reset issues, burnt plugs, alkaline damage, original flipper links,speaker blown etc etc. looked decent had leds etc.
    Customer thought it was the going rate based on what he saw online.
    So these inflated prices are unfortunate for the uninformed who buy a game which on the outside may look nice.

#41 2 years ago

Pingreed is no different today than it ever has been. The prices are just higher.

We all see those people asking the kind of money they ask for certain games. We all have "that" friend that thinks everything is worth way more when selling and way less when buying. People like this aren't going anywhere. They're like cockroaches. Get rid of one and another one comes along.

The sad thing about the greedy people I know, they have no issue with the fact that they're greedy. They see nothing wrong with it at all. They've developed a reputation and they don't seem to care.

#42 2 years ago

Unabashed promotion:

There is now a dedicated pricing discussion thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread#

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Pinflation has been around since 2000

Keep in mind this 'inflation' occurred after a huge DEFLATION in prices. Used TZs for 1200? New CVs for 1850? DH, DW, DM, JB, JM, TS all 700-1000. Nobody wanted pinballs in 98-00 except us auction dorks. It took til 2010ish before things normalized.

#44 2 years ago

Let’s all start selling at a loss to drive it back to make the next guy happier.

#45 2 years ago

U will never get out of the mess, people will always buy something rare and then try to flip it for big money. Their not even the problem, its the douchebags who buy them. The PS5 crap was ridiculous. Don't buy them. No mods. I stopped buying used pins all together cause I hate the sell and buy process. Very happy now. Get at least 1 NIB a year from a good source and its been nothing but greatness. Even when I'm done the selling is easy, I put it up for a few hundred less than I probably could get and its gone in 2 days.

Well said, I hate the buy sell process. Very happy with my 1st NIB, take a small hit at sale and buy another NIB. Only way I’ll do it from now on. Tired of sellers thinking they have to get all their money back and more.

#46 2 years ago

It’s just simply supply and demand. Demand has increased drastically, supply has decreased slightly. I would suspect a decent percentage of new buyers will exit the hobby late this year while retaining plenty of new hobbyists. The bigger companies will adjust supply, but they have to be careful. The market will correct at some point and they can’t be over leveraged.

In reality it’s great for pinball, new lifeblood will hopefully sustain interest over a new generation. It’s just not a great time to buy on the 2nd hand market.

#48 2 years ago

Stop buying toppers, CE / LE editions of games, or anything "limited" for that matter and you'll have a much better time.

Toppers were a scam at $500. Now they are just laughable.

Life would be so much easier if everybody stopped worrying about having them. You don't see them when you play, nobody will think you're a cooler person for having them, and the only thing they are good for is the resale value of your game in the future when some maniac wants to spend 2k for it.

Also, the standard black textured powder coat on the lowly pros and premiums feels 10X better to grip vs. the slippery shiny finger print magnets on LEs.

Mirrored backglasses are cool, I'll give you that. But just buy a player’s Firepower or Stars, problem solved!

#50 2 years ago

Thank God I've only got 20 or so years left on this earth.

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pingreed-is-a-cancer-is-there-a-cure?hl=dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.