Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by jgelman
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    3B93FBAD-645F-4352-9CD3-7786AA53161E (resized).jpeg
    B12EA0D0-3436-4AB5-ACC1-E7BE9CABAFB8 (resized).jpeg
    F08A860D-4D54-4AED-A0CB-F08101E6DDB5.jpeg
    Screenshot_20210418-211352~2.png
    34E616A6-470E-4DB3-B87E-6D1612FEF419 (resized).jpeg
    gekko (resized).png
    657C99FB-6A43-4015-8D71-4A2EC5E3F280 (resized).jpeg

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Let me see... Styx, Journey, Jefferson Starship, ELO, Cheap Trick, Kansas, Outlaws, Bad Company, Foreigner, Foghat, Kiss, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Boston, The Who...
    Tickets in Dayton Ohio ranged around $5 to $9 bucks and we got real pissed when ticket prices jumped up to over $7 because you could buy the vinyl album for that and listen to them any time you wanted. A lot of kids did just that and skipped the concerts. However, there was a whole bunch of Marijuana floating around that we had to interdict and dispose of so it didn't end up in the wrong lungs... we had our work cut out for us.

Haha - figures that one of the poorest states would have the highest ticket prices. They probably had to pay the bands double just to come to AR.

#202 5 months ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Not pinball related but applicable - I had the chance in the 90’s to buy a complete set of 12 back original Star Wars figures on the card in near mint condition for $100/each. It was a great deal then but I tried to get an even better deal when someone else swooped in and gave them what they were asking. That was the last time I tried to negotiate an already great deal. Today’s price on a 12 back set is $60k+.

That tight ass friend I mentioned earlier had two WH2O's offered to him for $1000 each. They were straight off a route but that was back when they were easily going for closer to $1500.

He countered with $800 each and bitched to us that the guy never got back to him. We found out from a friend, the seller pretty much said he'd burn them before he'd sell them to a cheap ass M'fer like that!

#203 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Let me see... Styx, Journey, Jefferson Starship, ELO, Cheap Trick, Kansas, Outlaws, Bad Company, Foreigner, Foghat, Kiss, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Boston, The Who...
    Tickets in Dayton Ohio ranged around $5 to $9 bucks and we got real pissed when ticket prices jumped up to over $7 because you could buy the vinyl album for that and listen to them any time you wanted. A lot of kids did just that and skipped the concerts. However, there was a whole bunch of Marijuana floating around that we had to interdict and dispose of so it didn't end up in the wrong lungs... we had our work cut out for us.

Same here at Oakland Coliseum.Day on the green.

#204 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Same here at Oakland Coliseum.Day on the green.

7 bucks but not in 84

#205 5 months ago
    Quoted from pindel:

Hara Arena I assume. Too bad it was destroyed by a tornado after 50 years.

Not always, but most of the time, yes, UD Arena was the other venue for smaller stadium sized shows, but the security at UD was way more harsh... they just pick your ass up and toss you out. Saw some neat shows at Mcguffy's too, but the big names usually went to Cinci and Riverfront Coliseum or Cleveland. I've seen hundreds of live concerts for not a lot of money from back then, and looking back, am I glad I wanted to party at the live concerts because those memories were unforgettable and cheap A.F. compared to shows today.

#206 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Not always, but most of the time, yes, UD Arena was the other venue for smaller stadium sized shows, but the security at UD was way more harsh... they just pick your ass up and toss you out. Saw some neat shows at Mcguffy's too, but the big names usually went to Cinci and Riverfront Coliseum or Cleveland. I've seen hundreds of live concerts for not a lot of money from back then, and looking back, am I glad I wanted to party at the live concerts because those memories were unforgettable and cheap A.F. compared to shows today.

I feel the same - I got some great value for my $ with Van Halen, Ratt, Aerosmith, Def Lepard, KISS, etc in the 80s.

I’ve just been more selective as an adult - I was so happy to see Van Halen’s last concert here in Tulsa. Roger Waters, a couple of A7Xs, Korn, Disturbed have all been phenomenal without being ridiculously priced.

#207 5 months ago

pingreed... like listing a unrestored EATPM for over $6k? yeah it's gone from bad to "You kiss your mother with that mouth??"

#208 5 months ago

I pretty much live in a pinball desert as far as pins on location. I could drive to Austin or Dallas and play but that takes the fun out of it. There are 1 or 2 trashed out old pins in the bowling alley and a few em's here and there but none of them even play decent.

Almost every pin I have bought I have never played before. I did start the hobby in 2006 and there were some good deals compared to today even though all of them required a ton of work to play decent. I think the thrill of the hunt is gone even though I enjoy working on them I think that is getting old also.

Selling is a pain in the ass with all the lowball and never show up buyers. I know a few people interested in really cheap pins but they know nothing about maintenance so that makes bringing them into the hobby impossible.

Maybe I will buy a new one someday and have one to enjoy without sinking a lot of time and money in to it.

#209 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

I pretty much live in a pinball desert as far as pins on location. I could drive to Austin or Dallas and play but that takes the fun out of it. There are 1 or 2 trashed out old pins in the bowling alley and a few em's here and there but none of them even play decent.
    Almost every pin I have bought I have never played before. I did start the hobby in 2006 and there were some good deals compared to today even though all of them required a ton of work to play decent. I think the thrill of the hunt is gone even though I enjoy working on them I think that is getting old also.
    Selling is a pain in the ass with all the lowball and never show up buyers. I know a few people interested in really cheap pins but they know nothing about maintenance so that makes bringing them into the hobby impossible.
    Maybe I will buy a new one someday and have one to enjoy without sinking a lot of time and money in to it.

Ive got pins for sale and I'm close. Shoot me a pm.

#210 5 months ago

Pinball prices. Who is to blame? The order in which the chaos came and will continue to come

1.Covid emerges
    2.Lockdown orders cripple global Supply Chains causing Supply/Demand imbalances
    3.Lockdown orders redirect discretionary money flow from vacations to recreation
    4.US govt. panics and prints trillions of dollars
    5.US govt. panics and distributes money to millions of Americans who did not need it
    6.The two major asset classes inflate, i.e. Stocks & Housing, due to 4 & 5
    7.Americans feel richer because their assets have inflated
    8.Lockdowns are lifted, what’s left of the economy reopens
    9.Consumer options for discretionary spending increase
    10.Supply/Demand normalizes in all markets that benefited from Covid
    11.The US dollars loses buying power globally
    12.Materials and labor in US continue to increase due to inflation
    13.Pinball demand slowly decreases due to rising prices & shift in spending
    14.Kaneda wins a 5th TWIPY award!!

#211 5 months ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Pinball prices. Who is to blame? The order in which the chaos came and will continue to come
    1.Covid emerges
    3.Lockdown orders redirect discretionary money flow from vacations to recreation
    5.US govt. panics and distributes money to millions of Americans who did not need it

I agree with that but lately it seems like the Kaneda name as to come up in every thread and I don't get it. Do I get a check everytime I type Kaneda ? Lol

#212 5 months ago

Why are Twighlight Zones so cheap?

Machine does okay in most sites top pin games, did okay in the pinside tourney, but yet not priced accordingly?

Why?

#213 5 months ago

- There's ~12000 of them out there

- They are big, heavy and can be fussy to keep running

- They're not exactly cheap?

#214 5 months ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

At least it’s not a cargument!
    Price bubble threads, pinflation, code update bitching and carguments. The 4 things that that will never change about the hobby.

Or any hobby, even the car collecting hobby!

#215 5 months ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Sorry I should have been more clear my fault.

Cheap compared to games costing much more but ranking much lower.

#216 5 months ago

My big question to everyone is what is the outcome of PinGreed? If people keep flipping pins for more and more money, is this money going back into the hobby or is it being siphoned off as a cash stream? I mean, does one take his $$$ and buy more pinball? Or is this a a finacial drain on the hobby, making machines more and more expensive but is actually doing nothing but lining the pockets of the flippers and milking us all as we scramble to get as many machines as possible before the well runs dry and the money runs out?

#217 5 months ago
    Quoted from metallik:

+ They can't be bought from someone who bought it NIB and only put a few hundred plays on them

#218 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

My big question to everyone is what is the outcome of PinGreed?

Well honestly, the answer is that people who now have stupid money to throw at pinball will continue to accumulate wealth and move on to more expensive hobbies like car collecting.
    Cargument!

#219 5 months ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Why are Twighlight Zones so cheap?
    Machine does okay in most sites top pin games, did okay in the pinside tourney, but yet not priced accordingly?
    Why?

That is a good question. From my own experience I didn’t like this game the several times I played it many years ago...it really took awhile to like it. Now it’s a keeper for me. I also notice a lot of beginners overlook the small flipper, others the 3rd flipper by the skill shot.

From a repair perspective there is plenty to go wrong with it too so maybe they are moved along easier than others.

As for weight I’d honestly rather move a TZ than a Big Hurt era Gottlieb. They built those things like tanks.

#220 5 months ago

I haven’t quite figured out the GnR CE situation. Functionally, it’s the same as an LE which is still in production, yet people are getting $8k over MSRP after just 6 months on a CE?

This is fundamentally different than POtC, BBB or Alien as those shot up in price because it was perceived they wouldn’t be made again in any form.

What am I missing about GnR CE? Or is this simply a bad sign of what’s coming for the hobby in regards to CE/LE editions?

#221 5 months ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I haven’t quite figured out the GnR CE situation. Functionally, it’s the same as an LE which is still in production, yet people are getting $8k over MSRP after just 6 months on a CE?
    This is fundamentally different than POtC, BBB or Alien as those shot up in price because it was perceived they wouldn’t be made again in any form.
    What am I missing about GnR CE? Or is this simply a bad sign of what’s coming for the hobby in regards to CE/LE editions?

One of my buddies has a CE I got to play on. It is really nice. The Radcals are super shiny, the shooter holder is super nice, the extra lock in the apron is cool, the light show with the extra lights is cool, the playfield is super shiney. It is out of my price range and not for me but I can absolutely see why someone would want one over an LE if it was in their budget.

#222 5 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

From a repair perspective there is plenty to go wrong with it too so maybe they are moved along easier than others.

Thats why I sold my TZ. I bought it for $1800, and put $500 and a ton of work into it. Once it was done I was sick of it before I even plunged the first ball. I sold it for $2300. The lesson I learned is not to sell a game right after sinking a lot of time into it.

#223 5 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Thats why I sold my TZ. I bought it for $1800, and put $500 and a ton of work into it. Once it was done I was sick of it before I even plunged the first ball. I sold it for $2300. The lesson I learned is not to sell a game right after sinking a lot of time into it.

O man... I did this to. I did a Playfield Swap on an Attack From Mars and then immediately sold it.

An Attack From Mars with full cabinet wrap, color DMD, new playfield, mirror blades, and upgraded ship. Spent 60ish hours on it. Sold for cost for $6400 6 months ago after 50 games. I couldn't look at it after all that work and doing the playfield swap twice (long story).
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/105355

#224 5 months ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

One of my buddies has a CE I got to play on. It is really nice. The Radcals are super shiny, the shooter holder is super nice, the extra lock in the apron is cool, the light show with the extra lights is cool, the playfield is super shiney. It is out of my price range and not for me but I can absolutely see why someone would want one over an LE if it was in their budget.

I can see the allure of a CE over an LE for an additional $2k. But are those things worth $10k more? Wouldn’t most people prefer a GnR LE + whole other pinball machine? (Not to mention the GnR LE art/backglass looks better to me)

#225 5 months ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I can see the allure of a CE over an LE for an additional $2k. But are those things worth $10k more? Wouldn’t most people prefer a GnR LE + whole other pinball machine? (Not to mention the GnR LE art/backglass looks better to me)

The pricing is getting to that point. My buddy has been debating selling it and taking the money to buy an LE and another game.

However, while a $20,000 pin might seem like a huge expense to us, it is all relative. In buying and trading pins I have been to some multi-million dollar homes and seen pinball collections easily in the half million dollar range. If $20,000 is only a few days income for you, spending it on a pinball machine is no problem.

#226 5 months ago

However, while a $20,000 pin might seem like a huge expense to us, it is all relative. In buying and trading pins I have been to some multi-million dollar homes and seen pinball collections easily in the half million dollar range. If $20,000 is only a few days income for you, spending it on a pinball machine is no problem.

That’s definitely true, and not just in pinball. I have about $15k sunk into my home theater, but I use it almost every day. I have a coworker who hired a guy and spent close to $150k to build a home theater - double walls, tiered seating, the whole deal. It’s all relative. I wouldn’t trade my life for his though, being a CxO would be my worst nightmare.

#227 5 months ago

The pricing is getting to that point. My buddy has been debating selling it and taking the money to buy an LE and another game.

I completely understand and agree with your point. It just seems like GnR CE is a strange outlier. We aren’t seeing huge $8k price bumps on RRWOZ, TronLE, Star Trek LE, AC/DC Back/Black LE - all great LEs that were desirable over their standard/premium counterparts.

#228 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

My big question to everyone is what is the outcome of PinGreed?

One unforeseen side effect for me at least is that I was initially only buying older games as they were cheaper and hence liked them better than the new Sterns, but as prices went up on old stuff I started buying new Sterns more and more to where I actually prefer them to the old games now. Go figure, I guess I just had to give the new games a chance for them to really grow on me, I situation that rising prices on the old stuff basically created.

#229 5 months ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I completely understand and agree with your point. It just seems like GnR CE is a strange outlier. We aren’t seeing huge $8k price bumps on RRWOZ, TronLE, Star Trek LE, AC/DC Back/Black LE - all great LEs that were desirable over their standard/premium counterparts.

And I spoke too soon - a Tron LE just sold for $25k on eBay. Disregard!

#230 5 months ago

I can feel the greed or more like a change in the way I am looking at these machines and I do not like it. Gotta remain chill and play some pinball.

#231 5 months ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

I can feel the greed or more like a change in the way I am looking at these machines and I do not like it. Gotta remain chill and play some pinball.

I will say the current "trend" has made me look twice at my happily married Pinbot/Bride of Pinbot couple and rub my chin, wring my hands, and see nothing but greedy dollar signs dance in front of my eyes... But in the end, the poor boy dropped to his chrome-plated knees and begged me to just put him and the Bride in storage until we get the RV garage/casita finished and he swore his old lady would make it worth my while... after years of staring at her mouth in a certain "O" shape, I figured, what have I got to loose? (except maybe a nut or two when her head rolls over before I am halfway through...)

#232 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I will say the current "trend" has made me look twice at my happily married Pinbot/Bride of Pinbot couple and rub my chin, wring my hands, and see nothing but greedy dollar signs dance in front of my eyes... But in the end, the poor boy dropped to his chrome-plated knees and begged me to just put him and the Bride in storage until we get the RV garage/casita finished and he swore his old lady would make it worth my while... after years of staring at her mouth in a certain "O" shape, I figured, what have I got to loose? (except maybe a nut or two when her head rolls over before I am halfway through...)

Haha! I’ll probably throw a couple of mine out there for trade towards other stupid expensive pins, not for straight $$$.

3 weeks later
    #233 4 months ago

I see the problem lying along the fold. On one side, this hobby is only meant to be a source of fun for the majority of us. There was a time where buying and selling games might have resulted in the difference of a few hundred dollars. There were an abundance of old stock in basements and warehouses that came at a relatively frequent basis for those that were patient and wanting to restore old games.

It became more popular. More people are involved. More people meant that there was more competition that led to more money to fight over. There are less and less finds because they just aren't as abundant. That combined with the increased cost of new games (for a number of legitimate and maybe greedy reasons) means that more games are being bought from within the community. Everyone that takes a game does something to it that increases their perceived value of the game and that then reflects in the future sale price. It compounds from sale to sale to some extent. Those sales in turn are needed to fund new purchases.
    On one level, it hurts because it's not about the money. It was just supposed to be fun. But the money is also what is driving Stern and all the other manufacturers to keep going. Once a certain price point is hit, it becomes attractive to people that are more into it for the profit than the fun. That's where I think the community is upset. Because it takes the fun out of it. It's not about the pinball as much as it is the game of buying and selling.

I don't know if it's a cancer as much as it is the natural evolution of a popular hobby.

The problem is that a number of us will eventually be priced out of the game that is buying and selling.

On the opposite side, if it wasn't as popular, a number of us would fall out because we wouldn't have the technical capabilities to produce our own parts and we would never see anything new. New old stock would eventually run out and some parts are hard to make in the garage.

On one hand we are lucky that we have the ability to order things from Marco and Pinball Life. On the other, the price of machines continues to maintain that collective value. The rest is collateral damage.

Then there's COVID

#234 4 months ago

I am in this hobby for the love of the game. Do I wish machines would stay at a reasonable price, yea, do these high prices hurt the hobby, it only hurts the people who have a small budget and are looking enter the hobby. In the early 2000’s it was hard to get parts but there were tons of cheap used machines, now it’s the opposite. Stay positive..

#235 4 months ago
    Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

It became more popular. More people are involved. More people meant that there was more competition that led to more money to fight over.

It's not even just more people.. it's a different approach.

Before it was "who got there first".... and maybe someone trying to snake it from you before pickup. Now you have people bidding up sellers before they've even seen the game trying to make an auction out of every freaking sale.

That mindset has bled over into buying new games too.. where the solution to everything is just throw more money at it. It's how we get freaking games STILL IN PRODUCTION selling for 50% over msrp... insanity.

Pinball used to be full of cheap skates who loved finding deals and making something good out of something lesser. People for the most part wouldn't even buy NIB even though we could have because people wouldn't value the premium.

Now... people are fueled by the idea of making a buck or believing money isn't a problem because they can just sell and make most of it back. The willingness to throw money around blindly has caused inflation in all segments of the hobby. Artificial scarcity and FOMO are built into the product plans and marketing now.

This isn't a 'competition' problem - this is about the population and their willingness to spend.

#236 4 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not even just more people.. it's a different approach.
    Before it was "who got there first".... and maybe someone trying to snake it from you before pickup. Now you have people bidding up sellers before they've even seen the game trying to make an auction out of every freaking sale.
    That mindset has bled over into buying new games too.. where the solution to everything is just throw more money at it. It's how we get freaking games STILL IN PRODUCTION selling for 50% over msrp... insanity.
    Pinball used to be full of cheap skates who loved finding deals and making something good out of something lesser. People for the most part wouldn't even buy NIB even though we could have because people wouldn't value the premium.
    Now... people are fueled by the idea of making a buck or believing money isn't a problem because they can just sell and make most of it back. The willingness to throw money around blindly has caused inflation in all segments of the hobby. Artificial scarcity and FOMO are built into the product plans and marketing now.
    This isn't a 'competition' problem - this is about the population and their willingness to spend.

Yeah. So to focus that more on the OPs question. Are you saying it's a generational gap based on availability at the time? Or a prosperity gap based on where the community is now?

#237 4 months ago

I think for years we have been quietly enjoying a hobby that was relegated to the underbelly of society, the red headed stepchild of an unholy marriage of a slot machine, dart board, and a pool table. Then the video generation got a little bored with all the FPS and car driving games, and suddenly they discovered this freakishly addicting, real world, physical game called pinball. They found these things in bars and started drinking and playing. Then they started to get a little older, their paychecks a little larger, and their desire to "own them all" which was beat into their psyche by Pokemon has now got us to this "collectors" market. Is it cancer? No, but it is the new "normal". The stratospheric rise of prices is occurring due to machines keeping their value, and the rapidity by which they are bought and sold. When the shiny starts to get knocked off these things (after a few years of being traded back and forth) and the prices will start to turn and come down. But the days of the under $1000 for a working pinball machine are rapidly disappearing, and I am afraid we will never see those halcyonic days ever again.

#238 4 months ago

Nice vocab.

#239 4 months ago
    Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Yeah. So to focus that more on the OPs question. Are you saying it's a generational gap based on availability at the time? Or a prosperity gap based on where the community is now?

I don't think it's age or generational - It's just people's attitude towards spending and a change in the kind of people in the hobby and what they value. I've seen it at all age bands.. the difference is

- there are a lot more people willing to blow money on a whim
    - there are a lot more people who will buy their way through challenges

#240 4 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's how we get freaking games STILL IN PRODUCTION selling for 50% over msrp

No, the GnR CEs are sold out and unavailable. That is exactly why they cost more.

GnR LEs are currently in production and may sell for a bit more than retail simply because some people are willing to pay a little extra to avoid waiting.

#241 4 months ago
    Quoted from metallik:

GnR LEs are currently in production and may sell for a bit more than retail simply because some people are willing to pay a little extra to avoid waiting.

Ergo... my comment. And it's not just limited to GNR or even NIB. See Mando LE launch, etc. It's bonkers... especially for non-sense like LE vs Premium. Instead, for that extra $5k, I'll loan you a game you can play until a LE comes up on the secondary market. But no, all these wankers are paying crazy money chasing these games, and in turn, all the used games can demand over MSRP too.

#242 4 months ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

1.Covid emerges

Perfect. I guess I’m one of the few getting ready for massive inflation and paying off debt. If you’re not rich ya better buckle up.

#243 4 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Ergo... my comment.

No, your comment was " It's how we get freaking games STILL IN PRODUCTION selling for 50% over msrp" ...which is false. CEs aren't in production and LEs aren't selling for 50% over MSRP. Ergo, you're wrong

(cue typical flynnbus 7 paragraph reply I'm not going to read...)

#244 4 months ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

It's definitely causing me to lose interest in the hobby.

Yeah same here. My solution was to buy new or huo newer games but with stern raising the price that strategy may no longer be one i wish to entertain.

#245 4 months ago
    Quoted from metallik:

No, your comment was " It's how we get freaking games STILL IN PRODUCTION selling for 50% over msrp" ...which is false. CEs aren't in production and LEs aren't selling for 50% over MSRP. Ergo, you're wrong
    (cue typical flynnbus 7 paragraph reply I'm not going to read...)

At least you admit you don't read things. Like the part of the post that said 'And it's not just limited to GNR or even NIB'

Did you miss those Mando prices too?

2 weeks later
    #246 4 months ago

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/10/cpi-may-2021.html
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/used-car-prices-record-manheim
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/12/economy/inflation-medical-health-care-prices/index.html

Interesting to consider how the price increases over that past 6 months for both pristine or LE vs trashed out but desirable pinball machines (expensive toys LOL) have compared to the price increases for things like food, cars, homes, gas, health care etc.

It seems that pinball machine price increases have been disproportionally high for reasons not clear to me, but I am not an economist.

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside