Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jhecht
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Anybody have a spreadsheet template or software that is good for running a PinGolf tournament? I'm helping run one tomorrow (look! http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pingolf-open-in-berea-ohio-saturday-october-12th-wppr-pointz-dude).

I'll have a basic ranking spreadsheet regardless, but was just wondering if anyone had anything more eloquent than what I'm capable of. thanks!

#2 10 years ago

I looked and did not find anything when putting together MRP.

I just built stuff from scratch in excel

#3 10 years ago

Just curious, what's MRP?

#4 10 years ago

I have one in Google docs but it has to be customized to some extent for each event.

It first ranks players by score (obviously), and will highlight top 16 for playoffs. Then for ties, and to avoid a long tie breaker round, it ranks next by players who got the most hole-in-ones, then hole-in-twos, etc.

(Amazingly at Pin a Go Go, two players tied with an identical record)

It will also show, as the tournament progresses, the best and worst scores possible for the player, and their best/worst rank possibilities.

Of course, you don't have to take top 16 for finals (or you might not even be planning a finals), however, the main limitation is the spreadsheet is setup for six holes. Adjusting the number of holes is a lot more involved. If you pm me a week in advance I might be able to help out next time.

All that said, a basic excel spreadsheet will work, and I've also done several pingolfs on paper too.

I'm assuming you are forming up groups and then they play the full course. If you do that, I recommend you at least split the score sheets into two or three sheets. So for a 9 hole, there would be 3 score sheets. That way, after 3 holes they will report those scores and you don't have an avalanche of score sheets to enter all at the end. Good luck and have fun!

#5 10 years ago

Thanks Jonny! I really like the "ranking by how many hole-in-ones" idea, and will probably implement that next time.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Vanapult:

Just curious, what's MRP?

www.madrollinpinball.com

Madison area event that a group of us put on, going on year 3 now. We had 19 games this past year with 12 in golf and ~60 people in attendance from as far away as the east coast. Was a great time!

#7 10 years ago

Wow! Awesome. Have never played in a PinGolf tourney so I'm pretty excited to try it out!

#8 10 years ago

Super fun. If done well, I think it is the BEST format for any event.

It can help level the playing field on some games and makes everyone feel like they walk away with some sort of accomplishment.

I will note that the most important thing is to NOT have goals so difficult that most people stroke out. It is no fun if everyone strokes out and very defeating. Also, set up a game that people will go for a score goal and they write down the score (instead of just recording # of strokes). Use that as the tie breaker for any ties. This will save you time at the end when determining place.

We did a bunch of playoff games for all tiebreakers and it was not the best way in hindsight.

#9 10 years ago

Looks like your missing an l at the end of your URL. Here is a fixed link.

http://www.madrollinpinball.com

Tho it seems to be having trouble loading at the moment...

#11 10 years ago

Pingolf is pretty much the most fun pin tournament format that spans abilities. We've played it here in the BPA (Boston Pinball Association) for well over 10 years. In fact I'm pretty sure we were pioneers in it's invention and refinement.

Drafting teams is the best method. We rank all players attending an event from A+++++ (Bowne) to C- (someone who's basically a complete novice). We let the worst ranked players be the team captains, and have them draft teams (using the ranking sheet and some help from the tournament coordinator). Captains draw cards to choose order to start the draft. Highest card picks first, lowest card pics last but gets to pick immediately again as the order is reversed back up the list of captains for the second pick, and then reversed again to pick the last team member (teams of 4, captains plus 3 picks). This makes nice even teams. They are so even in fact that most tournaments have team score spreads of less than 2 strokes for the top two teams, and usually over half the teams finishing within 5 or so strokes of each other.

Hole difficulty is kept hard enough that it is a challenge for even A+++ ranked players to get more than half the course as hole in one's. Average best score for a nine hole course is around 16-18 strokes (that's for the best player on the course). C rated players rarely stroke out (it does happen), but it's not odd for them to have scores near 30 strokes. Decent players score in the low 20's regularly (which is a good benchmark for evaluating the course).

DMD style games are generally kept to 1-2 per course (they just play too long), and present the most consistent hole in 1's for experienced players. Classic 80's style Bally machines that play fast and hard (cough Flash Gordon cough) keep things moving along quickly, and present the best advantage leveling from expert to novice, since they treat everyone harshly and it's easy for an expert to have some bad bounces and bogie a hole on one of these machines.

We always try to recognize both top teams with prizes and a few top individual scores too.

In all it's always great fun.

-Jim

6 years later
    #12 4 years ago

Can anyone share the files to their templates?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pingolf-tourney-software and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.