4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pin_golf_Hole_card.jpg
    Pin_golf_score_card.jpg
    Pingolf_rule_sheet.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Would like to run a pin golf tourney for something different. Do we have a "database" of rules compiled for different machines? Rather have tried and tested than try and make them up myself. My machines include TZ STLE ACDC RS WOZ TOMMY TSPP METLE LOTR DW.

Would like objective based rather than score based.

#2 4 years ago

I don't think there is such a thing. I also think you need to cater to your audience. There's certainly nothing wrong with score goals, but you can just get creative with the others. Starting multiball is a pretty standard goal.

#3 4 years ago

TZ - complete two door inserts
    STLE - play vengeance MB
    RS - not familiar with the rules.
    WOZ - start two crystal ball multiballs.
    Tommy.-Play four modes
    TSPP - start I&S MB
    METLE - get a jack fucking pot (hard)
    LOTR - start two towers MB
    DW - play one round of video mode.

#4 4 years ago

I have wanted to run a closest to the pin tournament. You set a target score with brackets above and below that score. The target score is 0 points, the next bracket is 1, then 2, etc. A tilt adds 1 point to the players score per tilt. Each game would be 3 balls and you could run 9 or 18 holes. Probably 9, 18 would be a very long day. The winner is the person with the fewest points after all of the holes have been completed.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from WonkoTSane:

I have wanted to run a closest to the pin tournament. You set a target score with brackets above and below that score. The target score is 0 points, the next bracket is 1, then 2, etc. A tilt adds 1 point to the players score per tilt. Each game would be 3 balls and you could run 9 or 18 holes. Probably 9, 18 would be a very long day. The winner is the person with the fewest points after all of the holes have been completed.

I wanted to run a side tournament similar to this. The machine would have a target score (probably pretty low) and the display would be covered. The player plays their game until they think they hit the target score. Price is right rules apply, closest without going over wins.

#6 4 years ago

I'm running one this fall. I'm doing score based as it's just easier and people that don't know the rules can easily just try for the scores. Setting up trying to score a monster bonus on Cyclopes is just too hard to explain to everyone.

I'm setting all on 5 ball. Get the target score on ball 1-5 that's your stroke. Don't make the score, then 80% of the target is a 6, 60% a 7, 40% a 8, etc. I am also implementing an out of bounds rule. If you don't meet a minimum preset score in ball 1 you are charged 1 penalty stroke.

I may do a mixture of par 3, 4 and 5 holes and adjust the percentages accordingly. Not sure yet.

I believe there are some pingolf rules in the IFPA website you can follow.

#7 4 years ago

We have a blast with our pin golf tourneys.
    We do the usual score based and fairly easy achievements with regular tournaments. But when It is just our small group of friends we tend to get kind of crazy with it.

On TZ once I came up with a contest of who could get the most Odd Change on 1 ball. When the player piano is not lit, it will always award a very random amount of "odd change" on the cash register. Not much skill involved at all but it was a blast waiting to see what kind of numbers you would luck into.
    We have also done simple things like 1 dead end = 3, 2 dead ends =2 and 3 dead ends =1
    Drop a ball in the upper powerfield top hole on ball 1 =1, ball 2 =2 and ball 3 =3

AC/DC we have done an easy version Change the song 1 time and a harder change the song twice. whatever ball you do it on is your score.

Star Trek we like to do Klingon Multiball start. But have also done so many warp ramp shots, and Vengeance multiball start mentioned by someone above.

One of our most recent crazy ideas was a mini tournament called "Just 4 Flips"
    Each person plunges a ball and gets to hit a flipper button only 4 times. High score wins that particular game. If you cradle the ball that is counted as one flip out of the gate, but you have the advantage of aiming your first shot. If you accidentally flip a 5th time you are immediately disqualified.

Most of these are not for a large gathering of non pinheads as they would be completely lost. But for a small group of dedicated players it really keeps the night interesting.

#8 4 years ago

Pin golf is a blast to play. My buddy had one where you needed to ring the bell on AC/DC for the objective and 6,000,000 for the score. It would be neat if there was a database of objectives people have come up with for each game.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

Pin golf is a blast to play. My buddy had one where you needed to ring the bell on AC/DC for the objective and 6,000,000 for the score. It would be neat if there was a database of objectives people have come up with for each game.

I recall seeing a database somewhere for pingolf score guidelines for different games. Not for objectives though.

#10 4 years ago

I've run a *ton* of pingolf tourneys and my introduction was at a league final as a "fun" side tourney that was all objective goals, so that's mainly how I always ran them. I didn't find out until later that the "traditional" Pingolf was to go for a replay.

If you're dealing with mostly newbie players, the goals should be pretty straightforward. If you have experienced players, look for features on the playfield that they generally avoid on purpose. For example, the Cast a Spell targets on Scared Stiff.

TZ: I've done x number of door prizes. You could also do "collect two dead ends" (very hard).

STLE: Warp ramps is probably good, or advance "punch-it" targets to a certain level.

ACDC: Start double scoring. Advance song jackpot to X value and collect. Relight any song.

RS: X number of blasts.

WOZ: Collect x witch hurry-ups.

TOMMY: Not familiar enough. Modes?

TSPP: Itchy and Scratchy multi

METLE: Get Add-a-ball during any multi, or x number of piston shots.

LOTR: Collect X rings, or start Fellowship multi.

#11 4 years ago

TSPP should be a # of cletus kids collected. Its a hard shot and you need 26 to start the multiball (which I have never done). It is the shot on the left through the pop bumpers.

#12 4 years ago

Great ideas there. Most players are experienced, so I like the rules based. Great ideas like Cletus kids, odd change, blasts on RS, video mode in DW I live. Keep them coming. Warp ramps or Klingon MB for ST good idea.

#13 4 years ago

For ACDC how about playing x number of songs? That would be a good change yo from a typical competitive acdc strategy.

#14 4 years ago

For RS some ides:
    Visit x number of cities
    Collect x number of souvenirs
    Increase bonus x to _x

#15 4 years ago

Run objective based golf along side with score based in same game the player will have to choose what to go for first to get the best low golf score. They may have a hole in one along side of a six in the same game.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from legotech1:

Run objective based golf along side with score based in same game the player will have to choose what to go for first to get the best low golf score. They may have a hole in one along side of a six in the same game.

This is a good idea for small collections. Kind of like a nine hole course that you play through twice and the tee boxes change on certain holes the second go around.

#17 4 years ago

Great ideas people. I want to have a contest with some of these rules. Sounds like fun for the less experienced player.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from slydog43:

Great ideas people. I want to have a contest with some of these rules. Sounds like fun for the less experienced player.

Absolutely. I'm all about getting noobs to play and showing them one, maybe two goals to concentrate on. They get The bug easier.

#19 4 years ago

Can someone with web intelligence set up a page to link to with games and their rules? Not sure we can do it here, or can we? Im getting great ideas for my games, but there are plenty of others out there and don't want to hot the suggestions. So far, looking at
    ST - start KM
    ACDC - start 3 rd song
    RS- 3 blasts
    Tommy- start multiball
    DW - complete video mode level 1
    TSPP start I&S multiball
    WOZ rescue Dorothy
    TZ - collect 3 hitchhikers (too many?)
    Met- complete inline drops?
    LOTR- start Fellowship MB

#21 4 years ago

Also consider a stroke limit. With objective based 6 is good. Set games to 5 ball.

Also re: goals it's desirable to choose goals that can be verified even if the ball ends or the player tilts out. Cuts down on cheating and or just times when the player lost track of things in the moment.

#22 4 years ago

I always encouraged multiplayer games for verification, but I know what you mean. Gilf is played as a foursome, as pinball should be!

#23 4 years ago

I played in one recently where all the games were set on 3 ball. If the objective wasn't met on ball 3 you got a 5. I thought that was a good idea.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I played in one recently where all the games were set on 3 ball. If the objective wasn't met on ball 3 you got a 5. I thought that was a good idea.

Why is this a good idea? Seems like some pretty hard rules to me and would make for some weird scores.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why is this a good idea? Seems like some pretty hard rules to me and would make for some weird scores.

What's a weird pingolf score look like? You don't make it easy stuff that most people can get on ball 1 otherwise you'll have a bunch of people all jammed up with the same score. If your players are actually good you wont have any issues. I thought getting penalized for not completing the objective was a good idea.

You are basically given a penalty stroke for not completing the objective in 3 balls. For instance one of the objectives in our game was to start coffin multiball in Metallica. If one person got it on their first ball they get a 1. If you got it on ball 3 you got a 3. If you didn't get it on ball 3 you got a 5.

You really need to think about the rules. Destroying the Ring in LOTR is probably not a good one as would be knocking the ORBS targets down in any order in Centaur.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

What's a weird pingolf score look like? You don't make it easy stuff that most people can get on ball 1 otherwise you'll have a bunch of people all jammed up with the same score. If your players are actually good you wont have any issues. I thought getting penalized for not completing the objective was a good idea.
    You are basically given a penalty stroke for not completing the objective in 3 balls. For instance one of the objectives in our game was to start coffin multiball in Metallica. If one person got it on their first ball they get a 1. If you got it on ball 3 you got a 3. If you didn't get it on ball 3 you got a 5.
    You really need to think about the rules. Destroying the Ring in LOTR is probably not a good one as would be knocking the ORBS targets down in any order in Centaur.

I just thought it would make for a lot of people crumbled up at the bottom. allowing a 4 score would help with that. I see what you are saying though, and when you use the penalty stroke analogy it makes more sense.

#27 4 years ago

I like the idea that IFPA used for Pin-Masters this year...

All targets were score based and difficult to achieve. Games were set on 5 ball. If you didn't hit the target in a 5 ball game, your number of strokes was determined by a score range posted on the game. This gives more separation in players' golf scores and gives you some credit based on how close you came to the target versus others who completely blew it.

Example: (these values may not be exact)

Attack From Mars - Target score - 3 Billion

6 - 2.5B - 2.99B
    7 - 2.0B - 2.49B
    8 - 1.5B - 1.99B
    9 - 1.0B - 1.49B
    10 - Under 1.0B

For a more casual event, the target doesn't need to be so difficult, but I think the 6-10 stroke range is really smart and gives a better picture of how people played on the whole.

#28 4 years ago

Or if you want to keep game times shorter and have your games on 3 ball, you could just have a 4-6 range for those who don't hit the target. That would use the same idea but without such huge separation that a 10 stroke limit would cause.

#29 4 years ago

I did that on Doctor Who and chose "win a jackpot during multiball".
    Worked well. No more dozens of "O" ramps / sonic blasts for a change...

#30 4 years ago

At the VFW Showcase this year I set up a Pin golf course in the annex. I used 9 EMs (that was all there was).
    The short ball times on EMs allowed the nine holes to be played in approximately 40 minutes.

Here is my rule sheet, score card and an example of the cards that were attached to the backglasses of the machine used.

Hope you have as much fun as we did.

PS: I am also working on Pinball Baseball. It is more complex and will take considerably longer to play (;et alone explain)

Pingolf rule sheet.jpg

Pin golf score card.jpg

Pin golf Hole card.jpg

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from trufflepiggy:

I am also working on Pinball Baseball.

Do tell!

#32 4 years ago

I'm thinking I'll have it ready to unveil soon.

#33 4 years ago

Sounds great.

I attended the VFW show, camped overnight, and played your course. It was great!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 299.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 11.95
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside