(Topic ID: 61611)

Pingame Journal.... Where are you?

By jedimojo

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-11-24 16.16.48.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jedimojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

So, my birthday was back in April. My wife wanted to get me something pinball related so she subscribed me to the Pingame Journal magazine. (I told her I would have settled for a Roadshow or Shadow.. but that's a different topic).
    I'm not new to the hobby, and I know Jim puts out a magazine ... whenever... which I'm ok with... but my wife is kinda getting on my nerves with the whole "I really did buy you a subscription!" I'm curious if it's going to be much longer as I've never actually read the magazine before.

So Jim, kick one out soon or my wife is going to be forced to buy me a Roadshow!

#3 10 years ago

Kinda funny.... just listened to the Spooky Pinball podcast and the special guest was Jim Schelberg himself.

He answered some questions - but still, no real clear answer when the next issue is due. Not that I remember anyways.

#27 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure I'm not on the email blast mailing list then. This is the first I've heard of his illness. Thanks for the repost FrankJ!
    He's been an asset to the pinball community for many years... so, I'm glad I didn't freak out and get all pissy about it (and make myself 'that guy'). Either way... it sounded like the magazine is still in the works, so that's a good thing in my book.

Don't tell my Mrs. though...... I'm still pushing for a Roadshow.
    Praying for you too, Jim. Hope you feel better.

1 month later
    #35 10 years ago

It's mid October, and still nothing.
    Every month that passes, I assume that the subscription that my wife bought me is (as she put it) Jim's 'get better' fund. A donation. That's fine I guess.
    In my opinion... there's no good way the magazine can end. It's just conjecture... but I see Jim (as a poor money manager) as somebody who can't afford to publish AND probably can't afford to return what money is owed to his subscribers. Not that he's willing to admit it to himself.... the gig is winding down. The longer this goes on, the more and more people are going to know not to subscribe..... which is just going to make the situation worse for him.
    Publishing sounds like a nightmare. At least with that business model.

Honestly though, I wish I had been on-board with unigroove's Pinball magazine with issue one. I waited to long to order, so that boat has set sail.... issue one is all gone.

4 weeks later
    #38 10 years ago

Almost mid-November.
    I wish he'd just take the site down - or put up a disclaimer.

1 month later
    #44 10 years ago

Yeah. .. It's mid December.
    I've got mixed feelings bumping my own thread here. I just don't think it's fair to take money for the magazine. But as Kreator has shown, people are still handing cash over without awareness of what's going on.

I'm also not interested in a refund. It's just a bad situation.

1 month later
    #51 10 years ago

Nope. Didn't happen..... if that was the case, it would have been in the mail sometime around the 20th of January.
    Hope he's ok. Somebody post when they get theirs.... I don't even know if I've been added to the mailing list.
    Thanks.

2 weeks later
    #53 10 years ago

His website shows the calender as the most recent issue. It also says it's been mailed to all current subscribers. ..I haven't seen it yet. Anyone?

#67 10 years ago

Yep...I got one in the mail today as well! Funny thing is. .. my wife made me close my eyes and presented it to me as a slightly early birthday gift. She bought it for my birthday. ... last year. She said she's got me covered for several years. .lol.

I'm glad Jim was able to get it out though - all joking aside. Thank you Jim.

8 months later
    #83 9 years ago

Well, I wasn't looking for any additional issues (and to this date, I haven't gotten any since the 2014 calendar).

But.... I was just on the Marco website looking for parts that it seems only they had. THEN.... I noticed this:
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CAL2015

The Pingame Journal website wasn't/isn't updated. Anyways, it would seem Jim (or somebody) is making the next calendar. From this point forward... I'll assume there is no more 'Journal' aspect to this publication.
    I can appreciate Jim has health problems.... and I know I'm going to come across as a bad guy here, but somebody has to say it.

He's too ill to publish regularly, but he can travel to several shows during a year? Sorry.... it's crossed my mind.

EDIT: It also says Marco has the 2015 Calendar in stock.

#85 9 years ago

I know he's a good guy. I spoke to him at the Midwest gaming show. I just think he's making some poor decisions. He knows he's not producing. Calling him changes what?

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Calling him gets you a direct answer.

Thats some funny stuff right there.

I know that sounds harsh as I read that. If there's one thing that everybody on this thread agreed upon, it's that Jim is truly a nice guy. But, just from listening to him talk on a couple of podcast, and speaking to him in person... It is my firm belief that he is not looking at the situation factually.
    What he might say, isn't exactly representative of what will come to pass.

Just my opinion.

#91 9 years ago

In the mail today.
    2014-11-24 16.16.48.jpg2014-11-24 16.16.48.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jedimojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pingame-journal-where-are-you?tu=jedimojo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.